Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-08-2021, 08:04 PM   #321
Glennbo
Human being with feelings

In Linux there is a hook with the file libSwell-user.colortheme that can alter the colors of things like Rea plugins and dialogs.

Last edited by Glennbo; 04-12-2021 at 01:32 PM.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:06 AM   #322
ivansc

Default THREAD CLOSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Pretty please, mods????

Happy third anniversary! (well, close enough)
Old 03-09-2021, 07:10 AM   #323
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
note the round volume knobs at the bottom of my REAPER channel strips. Makes me feel right at home.
I was trialling some modded Apollo themes last night and my favourite layouts visually all had the knob controls.

But... It just doesn't feel right. I can't get my head around losing faders. It's amazing how lost i feel without the fader, and i had to remind myself to just focus on the meter - in fact, that may be a blessing in disguise.

Gonna stick with it, and perhaps i'll be a convert within a week, as the mixer panels have so much more space for other elements.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:11 AM   #324
X-Tech

Reaper is beauty and customizable. Need more ?
Old 03-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #325
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
In Linux there is a hook with the file libSwell-user.colortheme that can alter the colors of things like Rea plugins and dialogs. Note: This is not what a stock REAPER in Linux looks like, but what it looks like with a tweaked libSwell-user.colortheme.

May I ask how you got your FX meters to have green-yellow color gradient instead of the default blue-green?
Phazma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:57 AM   #326
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazma View Post
May I ask how you got your FX meters to have green-yellow color gradient instead of the default blue-green?
Check in theme editor.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:27 AM   #327
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
I was trialling some modded Apollo themes last night and my favourite layouts visually all had the knob controls.

But... It just doesn't feel right. I can't get my head around losing faders. It's amazing how lost i feel without the fader, and i had to remind myself to just focus on the meter - in fact, that may be a blessing in disguise.

Gonna stick with it, and perhaps i'll be a convert within a week, as the mixer panels have so much more space for other elements.
I chose the knobs layout because I don't even use the faders in REAPER, almost how I never used the faders on my real consoles.

I've always mixed upstream. With analog gear I'd use the trims to get a static mix that was balanced and not clipping. Then the faders were only used to push parts into the spotlight when a solo or something happened.

With a DAW I still get the static mix established higher up in the chain, but I use envelopes instead of faders to do a spotlight push, so the volume fader or knob on the track for me is totally unneeded.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:32 AM   #328
Glennbo

Quote:
It's built into the theme I use, which is LCS-mod_Short_v3.01_Dark.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #329
Phazma

@vitalker did already check theme editor and walter but found nothing, which is why I asked.

@Glennbo Checked v3 default theme and the meters are like this. Guess it is just hardcoded into Reaper 3 somehow and they changed it later.. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:29 AM   #330
vitalker

Quote:
@vitalker did already check theme editor and walter but found nothing, which is why I asked.
Old 03-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #331
Phazma

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
@vitalker haha Last time when I used these they had no effect because I was trying to change the mixer/track meters which are controlled by images. Now I finally know that these actually do work and change FX meters. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2021, 07:20 AM   #332
Vagalume

3 years passed since WT explained us his thoughts about this matter ... unfortunately, we are in the same exact point.

I have reread several times all his explanations. I thanked the effort to giving us some advice about convincing the Devs ... but sorry, I think the users can't do anything else to convince the Devs to (AT LEAST) get rid of thouse w95 style windows, and yes, we can be as polite as the Devs would need, we can say plz, we can make FRs, we can say that we have been good this year. The truth is lots of reasons have been given to them all these years ... but I firmly believe that WT is the only one who can convince them to do something (just something).

Come on ... WT If you completely agree that this should happen, help us ... I have a lot of software on my PCs none of them have got this problem ...
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:13 AM   #333
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
The truth is lots of reasons have been given to them all these years ... but I firmly believe that WT is the only one who can convince them to do something (just something).
My feature requests are no more or less successful than anyone else's.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:32 AM   #334
Geoff-h3o

Happy bunny here:-)
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 02:10 AM   #335
hexSPA

While we're beating a dead horse, I might as well take a swing.

I really like Windows' high contrast mode and Apple's Fitness+ gui. High contrast wireframe on black. That would be sweet.

On a positive note, I use Melda and reaper so I'm familiar with people not liking the GUIs. Having said all this, these two are definitely on it when it comes to UHD resolution. Other companies have arguably better aesthetics until you quadruple the size.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:26 AM   #336
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexSPA View Post
Other companies have arguably better aesthetics until you quadruple the size.
Not to mention a huge array of compatible platforms: Win XP & MacOS 10.5 upwards + Linux & ARM. The scope is insane considering how hard other platforms struggle.

And the best performing DAW in regards to CPU efficiency.

To 'pretty' it up would be at the disadvantage of both of those strong positives that REAPER offers it's userbase.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:04 PM   #337
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post
I think the users can't do anything else to convince the Devs to (AT LEAST) get rid of thouse w95 style windows
This is not w95 style windows. Here you will see what is win95:
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost...1&postcount=48
Old 09-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #338
sockmonkey72

OK, I'll bite, just because I dealt with this conflict recently. I'm one of those "I've installed and then uninstalled REAPER 3 times before I gave it a deeper look", and one of the reasons my itchy delete finger was tempted from the start were the aesthetics.

I'm a macOS user, and REAPER looks, at first glance, like one of those sad little Java apps which approximate a Windows XP-style icon bar and put color icons in the menus. Of course, REAPER's not _that_ bad, but that was my initial impression.

Then I started looking at the menus. Again, and I'm not the first person to bring this up, the initial impression is: Dog's Breakfast. As in, let's just throw a bunch of arguably useful features unsorted into a long list of stuff you can do. Like that, 8 times.

Finally, the defaults. Which are AFAICT unsuitable for using the software productively without drinking the kool-aid, reading a manual, or hitting yourself in the head hard enough to forget how music software generally works.

But then, the 4th time...

I found the REAPER Blog video about Fresh Start and followed Mr. Blog's tips about the prefs. And then everything began to fall into place. And suddenly, after finding a theme I like a lot (Smooth 6), the ugliness of REAPER quickly receded into the background. Because it's not ugly, it's functional. And once I had access to that functionality (by virtue of better prefs and a few other tips), the "look and feel" became less critical, as long as it didn't get in the way.

The plugin chooser/FX chain windows still make my eyes bleed a little every time I use them. But then again, they're functional and work as expected, and I'll take reliability and functionality any day over eye candy.
sockmonkey72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #339
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
This is not w95 style windows. Here you will see what is win95:
https://gearspace.com/board/showpost...1&postcount=48
it's more similar then different but i don't care about that - world is full of beautiful unusable/crap apps. Cockos approach to minimal GUI works as an advantage - i hope they keep like this but take a bit and i could say a LOT care on the workflow details and usability.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #340
Vagalume

Frankly I don't care if it is w95 style, w98style, msdos style ... those #~|#~€@#~€ windows. By the way, will W11 affect those windows in any way?
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:43 PM   #341
hexSPA

Yes, I'm another 'tried-reaper-quit-came-back' person; see my join date. I agree that the first impressions are a bit out of step with modern design - especially prior to v6 (which I actually mostly like).

About Windows 95 - yes please. I think that'd be a cool retro feature to have those window styles instead of the current ones. Even making these themable would be fun. Anyone for an 8 bit file explorer?

One interesting thing about reaper's popups is that they don't inherit Windows' high contrast settings. In other words, the backgrounds in reaper are white whereas the majority of my computer is on black. Enabling 'inherit windows settings' would be nice, if possible.

Obligatory deep bow to reaper's performance and flexibility.
hexSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 03:26 AM   #342
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb View Post
it's more similar then different but i don't care about that - world is full of beautiful unusable/crap apps. Cockos approach to minimal GUI works as an advantage - i hope they keep like this but take a bit and i could say a LOT care on the workflow details and usability.
Well I may be agree with you up to a point, but I know a good example. Firefox introduced Proton design in version 89. Here is the difference between old and new design. The top screenshot is old and the bottom is the new one. The difference is not big, but changes a lot.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:34 AM   #343
Glennbo

I don't have any issues with the way REAPER looks. Maybe the problem is with your OS.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:14 AM   #344
Ann-82

I wish so much a little improvement of the arrange view and mixer. A good looking and clean GUI would improve a lot my workflow, helping me out to keep my projects clean and inspiring to work. Now working on large projects looks like a big mess to me, no matter how accurate i work and organize thing.

Some days ago i was testing Timeless 2 by Fab Filter in fullscreen mode, Jesus, no words to describe it, elegant and clean, i was so focused in what i was listening and i was so inspired to experementing with the parametern. I can only see important parametern i have to see. No other distractions, hided window or whaterver else.
Ann-82 is offline   Reply With Quote