Old 08-10-2021, 08:11 AM   #1
ReaperStudent1
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper + RME Babyface Pro (need help)

I have had a Babyface Pro + Totalmix for about 1 year. I use it in "DAW" mode so...a very simple setup. However, I am not an expert on the various settings of the interface and worry that I may have some incorrect settings. If there is anyone on the forum who regularly uses Reaper with the Babyface Pro or similar interface by RME would you kindly reply or PM me? I would love to get a consultation with you.
ReaperStudent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
drummerboy

Hi!

Using an UFX+ with TotalMixFX and various RME interfaces since 10 years, happy to help!

Best,
Frank
drummerboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #3
Wallaby

Better change it to normal mode, not DAW-mode.
The DAW mode is special and is not helpful for beginners.
Tell more about what you want.
Recording voice and instruments ?
Livestreams vlogging ?
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
ReaperStudent1

Default Re; Wallaby's reply (much appreciated)

Hi to Wallaby. I compose using orchestral sample libraries, trailer libraries, etc, completely "in the box". Since I got a new, bigger computer and the Babyface I have felt that maybe the quality of the tracks was going down, not up. Especially midi-to-audio bounces (renders) for mix purposes. The sound at 48K seems very pinched in the highs, sometimes almost clipping, even when I bounce way below a reasonable level. I have never understood TotalMix, which is what my vendor recommended (actually the RME Babyface Pro + Totalmix). I have always wondered if I am hearing and rendering what I am supposed to be. I turned on "DAW mode" because I did not trust myself with the entire app. If I play a commercial mp3 through Reaper it sounds fine, but mixing orchestra or even ambient/simpler music, it is always nearly impossible to get a balance, and it seems like as the track count increases, the quality goes down. I have a very large VisionDaw computer with over 220 gigs ram, multiple SSds, and good sample libraries (Spitfire, Cinematic Studio Strings, etc) but things just don't seem to come together well. Especially at 48 K the highs sound brittle. So...my first question is just...is the Babyface set up properly?
ReaperStudent1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
Wallaby

There is not much to setup wrong.
There is a Setup window with some configurations to do.
Clock-mode should set to internal 48kHz in your case, just the sample rate you want to work on.
Totalmix is for listening and for making live monitor mixes during concerts or recording sessions.
If you only want to listen your work, you don't need to work in Totalmix, just one setup.
The assign button right side bottom is the most important.
assign the Main to the analog outputs where your loudspeakers are or to the headphones.
Then doubleclick the fader of the softwareplayback channels that you use for listening.
Normally channels 1/2 are the used ones.
As you can hear the sound, everything is alright.
When comparing an MP3 from a finished piece of music to your own work it my sound much better than your own work because of the mastering process.
Your work sounds just the way you produce it.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote