Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-13-2021, 08:32 AM   #1
offthesky
Human being with feelings

Default JSFX or vst that emits a single midi note when reaper starts up? [SOLVED]

i am using reaper for a sound installation i.e. the computer running this rpp, will be able to be started up but not interacted w at all (so im using a startup batch script to just load up the reaper project automatically). inside reaper i am using instances of the reasampleomatic5000 with oggs (with loop set to on). however, the samplomatic plugin needs a midi note first in order to fire off the sample loop, upon reaper starting up.

does anybody know of a jsfx (or vst) plugin that would automatically send a single midi note when the reaper project has opened? or perhaps there is a feature of the samplomatic i am missing - that would cause loops to play automatically on startup?

or any other ideas you have to make this work, would be greatly appreciated!

tia!

Last edited by offthesky; 03-11-2022 at 07:59 PM.
offthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:15 AM   #2
mschnell

This already has been discussed recently.

IMHO, sending out a midi event on start up does not make much sense, as the routing or the receiving entity might not be ready for receiving it.

So it should been sent after some delay after start up.

I suppose it's easy to do a JSFX that does this.
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
offthesky

that makes sense - i have MIDINoteEchoTranspose.jsfx that could work there. possible work around (until i can learn jsfx better): JS white noise generator < JS Audio to midi drum trigger (with the "retrigger interval" parameter set to the length of the sample) < SamplOmatic (with loop turned off, just use the audio to midi drum trigger interval to create a loop instead)

only unfavorable behavior with the above workaround solution is that, upon opening the reaper project, the note will not be fired until the next interval - so if the sample is 1minute, must wait 1 minute for the sample to be fired off. have some 5 minute+ ogg files so said workaround may/may not work after all.

Last edited by offthesky; 09-13-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #4
nofish

Since you are already using a startup script, maybe you could use StuffMIDIMessage.

(Extensive doc for StuffMIDIMessage:
https://github.com/Ultraschall/ultra...ssage-docs.txt)

edit:
Probably misunderstood, 'startup batch script' is outside Reaper I guess.
What I meant was you can have a Reaper script set to be run automatically on Reaper startup:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=161181
(for a way without SWS extension see post #20)

Last edited by nofish; 09-13-2021 at 04:42 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 10:19 PM   #5
mschnell

Can "stuffed" Midi messages be seen in a Track when using "Virtual Midi Keyboard" as an input ?

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #6
offthesky

awesome thank you for your suggestions all! my final solution::

a "note clock" jsfx (attached) i found here in the forum. nice in that it lets you use time instead of beats as well as let's you unlink from the transport (via it's "run constant" parameter). i set it's "period in seconds" manually to something like 10000, and then put the stock jsfx midi delay after it (delay ms set to 1000). and then minihost modular after all that. so when i start up reaper, the midi clock fires off the note (you need the delay jsfx or the note gets missed somehow on startup), and the note triggers piano looping piano rolls/cc automation lanes/vstis inside minihost modular. this has worked great for generative installation/live performances using reaper.

the midi note length jsfx is useful if you want the clock to send pulses. putting a random lfo on the clocks time makes for some interesting experimental things to happen.

link to minihost modular - a really great, not well known freebie:
https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio...odular-beta-3/
Attached Files
File Type: zip midiclock-notegenerator.zip (3.2 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by offthesky; 03-11-2022 at 08:04 PM.