Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-10-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
noeqplease
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper session has varispeed on, consolidated files play SLOW in Pro tools

Hi guys, first question here.

I am having to import Reaper sessions into Pro Tools.

One song has the varispeed knob in the transport ON at 1.6 rate.

In reaper, this plays back at the normal speed. Apparently the artist slowed down the files somehow, to record a guitar solo, and then sped up these files with Varispeed knob.

I am trying to "consolidate/export tracks", it does so, keeping the new consolidated tracks at the slow rate, but having the varispeed on at 1.6 they play as normal pitch in reaper.

When I go to import the consolidated tracks into Pro Tools, they, of course, are SLOW. The Varispeed does not "translate" the pitch variance onto the new consolidated files.

So, HOW does one get to export these files AT THE RIGHT SPEED into another DAW?

I am not at all knowledgeable in reaper, I only have it to import / export sessions from clients.

Thanks!!!
noeqplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
Stella645

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=67483

See the last two responses before the last post.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #3
noeqplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post

Thanks, I will.

This one song has three sessions for the same song LOL.

One Pro Tools HD, one Reaper running at Varispeed 0.95,
and one Reaper running at Varispeed 1.6

Schizofrenia anyone?
Old 07-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
noeqplease

Quote:

-------

Right Click Playrate fader - Apply playrate to current BPM ?

^ That'll work as long as you have the project timebase set to Beats (position, length, rate).

--------

This Reaper session is set to "Time", not beats (position, length, rate).

So, now what do I do?

I think I will end up using the laptop, and playing back each session into the main studio computer in realtime... Because I really do not have the time to dig deep into Reaper and this sort of thing.

As if Reaper was a tape machine that refuses to cooperate to sync.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
noeqplease

I am going to try just putting the varisped to 1.0 on the one which is 0.95,
and compare clicks to the ProTools HD session, which supposedly has the same vocals and guide click.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
noeqplease

Now on to the one on 1.6 Varispeed.

It also has, I think by mistake, the bpm set to 120, while the other sessions are at 96 bpm.

This one: I am playing beack in realtime, through my RedNet 2 converter, straight through to Pro Tools.

Because, well, I simply have tried exporting / consolidating, changing the varispeed, changing the bpms/ in 20 different ways and it simply cannot seem to give me the audio played back at the normal rate at all.

Chalk it up to allowing non engineers to use Reaper, which allows this sort of sillyness to occur.

I hope someone can eventually figure out this conundrum, in case some other hapless engineer ever has this happen to them. LOL.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
noeqplease

Well, my "solution" involved playing back the two Reaper sessions as a multi track, in real time, into Pro Tools. It takes FOREVER to make individual outputs for each channel in Reaper. And turn off the "main send" don't forget that step LOL. I tried to find in the manual and in the forum, how to set faders to zero. I found out by fooling around, not by reading anywhere that you double click on pan knobs and faders to set them to zero / center. I hope their manual, at some point, actually puts in these sort of simple commands. This is partly why I have not delved deeper into Reaper: The manual is horrifically behind / incomplete. I hope someone does something about this.

I do have to thank Kenny Gioia for his tutorial videos. THANK YOU KENNY.

Back to my nightmare: Once I pretended Reaper was a tape machine, and played back form another computer in real time to my main mixing system, the pitches were ok, the tempo was ok. All is good now.

I wasted entirely too much time on this. And as we all know, time is money, and you cannot get your time back.

What I find rather weird is how it is not easy to "commit" Varispeed.

I took about one hour, trying different ways of committing the Varispeed to the files, so they could be exported at the correct speed etc. I just could not do this, no matter where I looked for settings, or what things I changed / clicked / set a certain way. Nada. Nothing. Once you leave Reaper, that Varispeed feature bites you in the ass. You will not get the multi track files playing back at the right pitch nor tempo.

It did not help that the two Reaper sessions had different tempos, different sample rates, different Varispeed rates. Yes, being able to buy a DAW software and make recordings CAN BE a good thing. Except when you are dealing with people who do not know how to engineer records, and people who do not take care in keeping the same settings for the same song across workstations and studios. This is where the professional stands above the amateur. And it is why sometimes, self recording is not the way to go.

Last edited by noeqplease; 07-11-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
Philbo King

I ran into this exact problem yesterday. The playrate slider was set to 1.08, and the project tempo was 78. Renders came out with wonky timing.

The fix;
- Set the session to Beats (position, length, rate)
- Figure out the correct new tempo:
78 BPN x 1.08 = 84 BPM.
- Assuming this has a constant tempo throughout, delete all Tempo markers that actually change the tempo (other changes, like time signatures, should be left alone).
- Type in the new tempo in the project tempo display (the BPM display by the transport).
- Play it through to make sure it fixed it.
- Return the session time base to Time, if that's how you want it.

If the tempo varies through the piece, you'd need to calculate correct tempo for each section, then add markers back in after (while still set to Beats).

There's probably a one click solution, like the 'Right click playrate fader' mentioned above, but I wasn't able to find it when I needed it...

Worked good for me.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
Stella645

Pretty sure switching timebase to Beats and then right click on playrate would have fixed it.

Sorry if it wasn't clear.....I assumed it would be obvious if your timebase wasn't Beats you should just set it to Beats before fixing the playrate.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
noeqplease

Quote:
Pretty sure switching timebase to Beats and then right click on playrate would have fixed it.

Sorry if it wasn't clear.....I assumed it would be obvious if your timebase wasn't Beats you should just set it to Beats before fixing the playrate.
Thanks.

I still have the original unaltered session, so I will play with it when I have some spare time, and see if this solves it. In either case, I'll report back.