Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 02-22-2017, 06:50 AM   #201
Goldreap
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldreap View Post
Actually I might have a go at fixing it myself.
Tod, would it be a matter of manually editing the mapping file, entering all the lovel values (using one of the other working mappings as a guide to the structure)? I could then PM it to you for testing?
OK, I think I've fixed it, seems to be working now...have sent to Tod for confirmation.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #202
Tod

Quote:
OK, I think I've fixed it, seems to be working now...have sent to Tod for confirmation.
Thanks Goldreap for doing this, I'm in the process of replacing it in the download right now.

However, everyone that wants the fix will need to download the whole 2.2 gig zip file again.

So I think I'll post the file that Goldreap fixed, along with the instructions of how and where to fix it in the original "Programs/mappings" folder.

I'll post back when I get everything ready.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #203
Goldreap

Tod, considering what yourself, Scott, D Smolken and Suleiman have given to the world, it is my pleasure to help out in this very small way.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #204
Tod

Quote:
Tod, considering what yourself, Scott, D Smolken and Suleiman have given to the world, it is my pleasure to help out in this very small way.
Well it was a big help Goldreap, D Smolken originally programmed Sforzando and I'd have had to trace it down, which would have been difficult.

At any rate, I've got a guide put together that explains how to repalce the original "smdrums_sfz_loosehat" file. You can download both the guide and replacement file in the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8s...ew?usp=sharing

If you have any questions be sure and ask.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #205
brodacz

That level of tech support for free product? WOW! Well, let me tell you, that's something elso...

@Goldreap @Tod I truly appreciate your help. Thank you very much!
brodacz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #206
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodacz View Post
That level of tech support for free product? WOW! Well, let me tell you, that's something elso...

@Goldreap @Tod I truly appreciate your help. Thank you very much!
You're absolutely welcome brodacz, and since you got the fix, it made it all worth it.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:36 PM   #207
Baxter

I love this kit - so versatile!
Really looking forward to what you guys are cooking up next.
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #208
capitan mission

Hi there! thanks for this work, really amazing! Ive downloaded from the website smmdrums.wordpress.com the following: "SM Drums – TX16WX Version with Stereo Samples, Velocity and Round Robin Layers (Suleiman)"
My question is : can I map the wavs to BFD3?? Im new to this kind of multiple, very large drum libraries.
capitan mission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #209
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitan mission View Post
Ive downloaded from the website smmdrums.wordpress.com the following: "SM Drums – TX16WX Version with Stereo Samples, Velocity and Round Robin Layers (Suleiman)"
My question is : can I map the wavs to BFD3??
Hi capitan, no, I don't think the TX16Wx version can be remmapped, however I didn't program that version, and hopefully Suleiman will pop in and explain it to us.

The Sforzando is also completely free and it can be remapped. The Kontakt version can also be remapped but you need the full version of Kontakt for that.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:26 PM   #210
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitan mission View Post
Hi there! thanks for this work, really amazing! Ive downloaded from the website smmdrums.wordpress.com the following: "SM Drums – TX16WX Version with Stereo Samples, Velocity and Round Robin Layers (Suleiman)"
My question is : can I map the wavs to BFD3?? Im new to this kind of multiple, very large drum libraries.

Yes the wav files are included in that kit and bfd3 allows users to velocity layer their own samples.

Salamat
suleiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:59 AM   #211
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by suleiman View Post
Yes the wav files are included in that kit and bfd3 allows users to velocity layer their own samples.
Oh, heh heh, so that's what capitan mission was asking.

Thanks suleiman.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:27 PM   #212
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Oh, heh heh, so that's what capitan mission was asking.

Thanks suleiman.

I was eyeing bfd3 for doing a possible smd version for it. But i dont think we can make one and share for free without fxpansion's blessings.

Salamat
Old 06-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #213
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Tod, Sulieman and whoever, I was thinking about reattempting to make trigger instruments out of this unless it will hurt the commercial prospects of the VSTi version or unless someone already made some. Let me know

I'm kind of unhappy with the commercial stuff out there
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:23 PM   #214
pipelineaudio
Mortal

God DAMN these sound good! I was trying to use Slate Deluxe for more natural sounding stuff, but they were still a bit weird, especially the toms.

Just started getting the SM Drums going, so far I have the kick inside on Trigger TCI and you can really shape this thing to do whatever!
Old 07-02-2017, 02:57 PM   #215
pipelineaudio
Mortal

https://soundcloud.com/pipeline-audio-1/sweettooth

Using the SM Drums and learning how to use SKNote Disto
Old 07-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #216
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Same thing but with way more processing on the drums and guitars

https://soundcloud.com/pipeline-audio-1/sweettoothhyped
Old 07-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #217
Marv McQuinn

Default Open Hi hat choke

This is really cool, can't believe I just recently came across it. Really fun to play with and explore how you made it work. Thanks!

I have noticed that the open Hihat on 46 is only choked by the foot open hihat 45. I think it would make sense for this to be choked by all of the hihat hits so I set out to try and fully understand js midi choke and add that funcionality with another instance of the plugin.

I guess I don't quite understand it well enough because I can't get it to work. Any tips with this plugin? I don't understand how choke note range and affected note range work together as well as additional choke notes.
Marv McQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #218
suleiman

hi,

this thread should explain it all regarding midi choke (admittedly a clunky workaround, but hopefully a better solution is in the near future from the cockos team).

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=142875

Salamat
Old 07-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #219
suleiman

Pipe , these are a completely different set of samples and will remain free forever.

When you have completed the TCI files and if you wanna share them, send me a link and I will make a separate entry for it n the sm drums site. someone already did one for Ableton which hopefully we can share soon.

Salamat
Old 07-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #220
pipelineaudio
Mortal

I need someplace to upload them to, I dont think I have a server thing and my dropbox is full
Old 07-14-2017, 04:45 PM   #221
suleiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
I need someplace to upload them to, I dont think I have a server thing and my dropbox is full
are these :

- just TCI patches
- TCI patches and samples

OR

- TCI Monolith type of files with samples packed into them ?

im just questioning to understand the size. I have space on my dropbox and googledrive so happy to host.

Salamat
Old 07-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #222
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Hi pipe, have you tried Google Drive, you can get 15gig free?
Old 07-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #223
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Let me check google drive. As far as I know the Slate Trigger TCI files are monolithic
Old 08-31-2017, 01:36 PM   #224
Rangler

Anyone have a video tutorial for SM Drums?

Can't wrap my head around the routing and there are often glitches or weird stuff that I can't track down, like midi notes that I didn't program are playing. Files that it says are missing, and none of my search results can find them. Etcetera.
Rangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:02 PM   #225
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
Anyone have a video tutorial for SM Drums?

Can't wrap my head around the routing and there are often glitches or weird stuff that I can't track down, like midi notes that I didn't program are playing. Files that it says are missing, and none of my search results can find them. Etcetera.
Hi Rangler, which version are you using, there are 4, Kontakt, TX16Wx, ReaSamplOmatic, and Sforzando?

Irregardless, if you installed SMDrums properly, you shouldn't be having any problems with missing files.

Please explain in detail which version, and how you installed it.

Also, did you download the manual for your version? There are instructions in the manual for installation. There might be two manuals, one for using and the other for installing.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:20 AM   #226
Rangler

Quote:
Hi Rangler, which version are you using, there are 4, Kontakt, TX16Wx, ReaSamplOmatic, and Sforzando?

Irregardless, if you installed SMDrums properly, you shouldn't be having any problems with missing files.

Please explain in detail which version, and how you installed it.

Also, did you download the manual for your version? There are instructions in the manual for installation. There might be two manuals, one for using and the other for installing.
EDIT: I just figured out how to show the hidden tracks via Track Manager, and there were hidden EQ settings buried in there. There were also hidden MIDI tracks hidden in there as well. Why would you hide all these things so the user can't find out what's going on? And why don't you stick these EQ effects on the instrument track sends instead of a separate routing area that was hidden? It's so confusing. Anyway, I'm off to bed. I spent most of this month trying to figure SM drums. The samples sound so good. It's worth it.

EDIT 2: I'm going to try MegaReaper instead of the Lite version and see if it works out better.

I'm using the RSM5K version. I couldn't get the other versions to work properly. I'm on a brand new MacBook, maxed ram.

I went ahead and started from scratch. Made my own tracks with your wav files because I couldn't understand the mapping/routing.

Now I'm trying to figure out why the samples sound different from the ones from the pre-mapped files provided by SM, especially the toms. I'm thinking these hidden tracks have something to do with it, but I can't seem to get them to show up. The track numbers skip from 32 to 45 and the track manager says there are 6 more hidden tracks after 45.

This is how I routed the samples on my scratch built version. I stuck all of them on one track and routed each of them to their own separate tracks for FX and panning. It works great. Easy to understand. But the samples sound different than the ones on the SM project file even though they use the same wav files. Still think perhaps the hidden tracks have some FX or something changing them.

Last edited by Rangler; 09-02-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:48 AM   #227
Jack Winter

Is there any work being done to make a samplelib for HISE too? http://hise.audio
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:07 AM   #228
osxmidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
Is there any work being done to make a samplelib for HISE too? http://hise.audio
I built a Linux version of HISE (it's got some bugs that can be ironed out) but then I went looking for some libraries and there wasn't much around as far as I could see.

It would be pretty useful as it's cross platform.

I've also had SM Drums running in Linux Native Reaper by changing the paths and it all works great fwiw
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:51 AM   #229
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
EDIT: I just figured out how to show the hidden tracks via Track Manager, and there were hidden EQ settings buried in there. There were also hidden MIDI tracks hidden in there as well. Why would you hide all these things so the user can't find out what's going on? And why don't you stick these EQ effects on the instrument track sends instead of a separate routing area that was hidden? It's so confusing. Anyway, I'm off to bed. I spent most of this month trying to figure SM drums. The samples sound so good. It's worth it.
Hi Rangler, and sorry for your problems.

I think the samples you show are for the mega-kit. These samples, along with the programming were done by Suleiman, maybe he'll be along and can explain.

The kits I created and programmed are here. I've also recently added some new demos.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=150868
Old 09-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #230
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
That looks like a cool sampler Jack. Heh heh, I wish I could give it a try, but learning another sampler takes a lot of time. Maybe later this year when I have more time.

However, if anyone can program this sampler, feel free to use SMDrums.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #231
Rangler

Quote:
Hi Rangler, and sorry for your problems.

I think the samples you show are for the mega-kit. These samples, along with the programming were done by Suleiman, maybe he'll be along and can explain.

The kits I created and programmed are here. I've also recently added some new demos.

No need to apologize. I'm not the smartest guy on the block and I have an obsessive desire to understand exactly what's going on.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #232
Mr. PC

Amazing, wow...

A few questions.

If I want the 127 layer version (Reaper version) is the link in the OP of this thread the most up to date? Or is the website more up to date etc...

the OP of this thread seems to have everything in 1 zip, whereas other sources seem to have multiple download parts

"SMD Stereo Cymbals Samples (Hats, Rides, & Crash)."

"SMDrums Stereo Drums Samples (Kiks, Snares, & Toms)…"

Also, I'm curious how the choke works. I'm using the Embertone Jazz Kit, and the choke sounds quite real. Are they simply doing a release when you trigger the next high-hat sample? So there's no "choke" sample?
Mr. PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #233
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. PC View Post
Amazing, wow...

A few questions.

If I want the 127 layer version (Reaper version) is the link in the OP of this thread the most up to date? Or is the website more up to date etc...

the OP of this thread seems to have everything in 1 zip, whereas other sources seem to have multiple download parts

"SMD Stereo Cymbals Samples (Hats, Rides, & Crash)."

"SMDrums Stereo Drums Samples (Kiks, Snares, & Toms)…"
Hi Mr. PC, they are totally to different versions with completely different samples. I don't really have a lot of info about the mega kit, that is Suleiman's department, and I think he's either on vacation or tied up, I haven't seen or heard from him for a while.

The SMD kit I put together doesn't have the 127 layers but there are quite a few layers, enough to be able to get pretty good dynamics out of it.

Quote:
Also, I'm curious how the choke works. I'm using the Embertone Jazz Kit, and the choke sounds quite real. Are they simply doing a release when you trigger the next high-hat sample? So there's no "choke" sample?
If I'm not mistaken, I think you have Kontakt don't you? If so, that kit has different mic positions and you have a lot more control.

Regarding the "choke", Reaper's RS5K doesn't have one, but there are some JS FX that might work. I've personally never gotten the JS plugin to work very well, so I just cut the note off where I want it to choke. That actually works pretty well, because you can set up the amount of Release for the choke.

Kontakt of course has a good choke, so no problem there.

I think the Embertone Jazz Kit come in Kontakt doesn't it?
Old 09-08-2017, 03:40 AM   #234
Mr. PC

Quote:
Hi Mr. PC, they are totally to different versions with completely different samples. I don't really have a lot of info about the mega kit, that is Suleiman's department, and I think he's either on vacation or tied up, I haven't seen or heard from him for a while.

The SMD kit I put together doesn't have the 127 layers but there are quite a few layers, enough to be able to get pretty good dynamics out of it.

If I'm not mistaken, I think you have Kontakt don't you? If so, that kit has different mic positions and you have a lot more control.

Regarding the "choke", Reaper's RS5K doesn't have one, but there are some JS FX that might work. I've personally never gotten the JS plugin to work very well, so I just cut the note off where I want it to choke. That actually works pretty well, because you can set up the amount of Release for the choke.

Kontakt of course has a good choke, so no problem there.

I think the Embertone Jazz Kit come in Kontakt doesn't it?
Yes, I use Kontakt, and am loving the Orange Tree Jazz Kit (seems the free kits are better than the paid).

I thought the Reaper version had more layers than the Kontakt. In the OP it says there are 127 kit, snare, and closed-hat layers; is that correct?

www.smmdrums.wordpress.com has links to the Reaper version as well, but if Kontakt is more detailed, I'll take that. IMO velocity layers are are better than round robins or mic positions; I can use the layers like round robins by tweaking velocity.

It looks like the Kontakt version has a stereo pair for all drums, plus close mic on kick, and a top/bottom snare, so what mic positions is the Reaper version missing?

Last edited by Mr. PC; 09-08-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:43 AM   #235
Tod

Quote:
Yes, I use Kontakt, and am loving the Orange Tree Jazz Kit (seems the free kits are better than the paid).

I thought the Reaper version had more layers than the Kontakt. In the OP it says there are 127 kit, snare, and closed-hat layers; is that correct?
Yes that is correct. I'm not sure if you noticed it or not, but Rangler above had problems getting the mega-kit to work. I'm not sure why, but in Suleimans absence I will try to check into that when I have time.

Quote:
www.smmdrums.wordpress.com has links to the Reaper version as well, but if Kontakt is more detailed, I'll take that. IMO velocity layers are are better than round robins or mic positions; I can use the layers like round robins by tweaking velocity.
The Kontakt version is quite detailed, more than most commercial drum libraries I believe, but it's more like 64 layers for the hi-hat tight samples.

I agree about velocity layers vrs RRs, however there is a very important thing to consider, how were the samples recorded and edited.

Take for example, 127 snare hits, how much spread is there between the softest and loudest hits, before they are edited? Keeping in mind the desired target volume level of the softest sample, I think a -40db is about the minimum, but I think -32dB to -36dB might be better. Going below those levels just about makes the samples unusable. So try getting 127 hits evenly spaced from -40dB to -0.5dB with enough difference in each layer to make 127 layers become useful. It's very difficult and nearly impossible.

So really and truly, 64, or even 32 layers with 5 to 7 RRs is very usable. There are other things to take into account too, but this is a subject for a thread of it's own.

Quote:
It looks like the Kontakt version has a stereo pair for all drums, plus close mic on kick, and a top/bottom snare, so what mic positions is the Reaper version missing?
Yes, Kontakt is the only multi-miced version of SMDrums. The kick has overheads+close mic, the snare has overhead+over&under, the Toms have overheads+close mic. The Reaper versions have all premixed Stereo samples.

One thing to keep in mind, the Kontakt version has DFD so it takes far less RAM.

Last edited by Tod; 09-08-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #236
Tod

Incidentally Mr. PC, I mentioned it above, but you might have missed it. I added some new demos to the link below.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:18 AM   #237
Mr. PC

Ok, thanks; I have listened to the samples, and have read a bunch of this thread, but not all of it.

I guess I'll go with the Kontakt version, but again, there's the Kontakt in the thread you just linked above, with the 1.1 version added as an update,

then there's a 1.1 version linked here,

https://smmdrums.wordpress.com/category/kontakt/

are they exactly the same? Or is one version 'newer'? Just wanna make sure I'm getting the latest version before committing to 2.8gb (my internet is very limited).
Old 09-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #238
Tod

Quote:
are they exactly the same? Or is one version 'newer'? Just wanna make sure I'm getting the latest version before committing to 2.8gb (my internet is very limited).
Yes they are the same.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #239
Tod

Let me know Mr. PC, if you need any help.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #240
Goldreap

Hi Tod,
Some time ago I set up the SMD Kontakt 1.1 version. I moved the samples I already had from the 1.0 version into the new installation and stashed the old version stuff elsewhere...all good.
Couple of questions:

First question.
I noticed on the SM site it says:
"If you wish to keep the older nkm and nki files, you can simply copy or move them to the new SMDrums_Kontakt_1.1 folder. The new nkm and nki files have been renamed so that they should merge nicely. It is very important that the new SMDrums_Kontakt_1.1 Resources folder remain with the new nki and nkm files."
I guess the only reason to have the 1.0 nkm and nki files would be for backwards compatibility..they would not offer any extra functionality. Is that correct?

Second question (just a BTW not really related to the above):
I've been mucking around with the project files you have included with various versions and noticed that the 'SMDrums Demo for K5 (Individual Kit-Pieces)' from the 1.0 stuff has CodeFN42 notemapper on the Kik,Snr,Toms track.
I guess it's a remnant of something you were doing but that it's not actually necessary to the project. Is that right?