Old 07-03-2017, 07:00 AM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v5.50rc5 - July 3 2017

v5.50rc5 - July 3 2017
+ Web Interface: retrorename vector.html to fancier.html
# Automation items: allow marquee selection of media items and automation items at the same time if envelope is not already selected [p=1859887]
# Automation items: don't reset last touched automation item when clicking outside the envelope
# Peaks display window: show spectrogram configuration when viewing items that have spectrogram enabled
# Prefs: prevent reset of routing window close option

Full changelog - Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

# Automation items: allow marquee selection of media items and automation items at the same time if envelope is not already selected [p=1859887]

Awesome thanks!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
Mercado_Negro

# Automation items: allow marquee selection of media items and automation items at the same time if envelope is not already selected

Schwa, maybe I misinterpreted your words the last time we discussed this but that's not what I think most people would expect (though it would be good to read what others have to say about this).

If I start the marquee selection over the track lane it should ONLY select media items, it doesn't matter if there are envelope lanes selected or not. I mean, this should be based on focus:

Drag on track lane = select media items only
Drag on envelope lane = select automation items only (and not only those automation items on that lane we started the marquee on, it should work on multiple envelope lanes as well, even on different tracks).

I'm saying this because what's the purpose then of having an option like "Move envelope points with media items"? If someone wants to move/copy points or automation items with their media items he just can enable this option and do it.

It doesn't make any sense to select automation items when selecting media items or viceversa. I think it's a pretty straightforward way to see it, based on what you're focusing on (track lane or envelope lane).
Old 07-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
EvilDragon

I think I agree with MN on this.

Moreover, the same should be true for regular envelopes with no AIs on them.

As it is now, as soon as you have a single envelope lane selected, envelope points get selected, EVEN IF marquee was started from the track lane, not envelope lane. I am not sure if this is good, honestly. Thoughts? I think I would like for env points to be selected only if the marquee was started from the envelope lane, and only media items selected if the marquee was started from the track lane.

By extension, devs, why does it seem so troublesome to allow marquee selection of regular envelope points (not AIs) over multiple envelope lanes (and possibly envelopes over multiple tracks)? This would be a pretty great benefit for mass editing...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Moreover, the same should be true for regular envelopes with no AIs on them.

As it is now, as soon as you have a single envelope lane selected, envelope points get selected, EVEN IF marquee was started from the track lane, not envelope lane. I am not sure if this is good, honestly. Thoughts? I think I would like for env points to be selected only if the marquee was started from the envelope lane, and only media items selected if the marquee was started from the track lane.
Exactly, it's the same in that case. This all should be based on focus, on where you start the marquee.

Quote:
By extension, devs, why does it seem so troublesome to allow marquee selection of regular envelope points (not AIs) over multiple envelope lanes (and possibly envelopes over multiple tracks)? This would be a pretty great benefit for mass editing...
That would the glory, no doubt. Selecting points across envelope lanes would speed up things tremendously. I think we've been waiting for that for years.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
That would the glory, no doubt. Selecting points across envelope lanes would speed up things tremendously. I think we've been waiting for that for years.
Amen!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
heda

What can I do with both items and automation items selected at the same time? If I extend or trim item's edge, only items are extended and automation items are not affected. If I extend AI edge, only AI edges are extended. Maybe it should affect both if both are selected?

the action to open item properties (Item properties: Toggle show media item/take properties ID 41589) could open AI properties window if only AI is selected.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
the action to open item properties (Item properties: Toggle show media item/take properties ID 41589) could open AI properties window if only AI is selected.
THAT would be REALLY nice!
Old 07-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
musicbynumbers

Quote:
THAT would be REALLY nice!
Agreed!
Old 07-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #10
hopi

me too sense worth:

I would not like the marque selection to include the AI or the points when I want to only select items...

at the same time, I could imagine WANTING to select both the item and the points and the AI, but I'd only like to have that as an option via a mouse mod.
Old 07-03-2017, 11:34 PM   #11
Win Conway

Reduce selected points still doesn't work here, MacOS.
Still think actions should work on selected points, rather than one action having a selected points option, which doesn't work anyway on MacOS.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #12
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
(automation item marquee stuff)
I am thinking the most predictable way to handle this would be as follows. This would make automation item selection identical to how envelope point selection is handled, but prioritize automation items over envelope points if the marquee includes both. This was the behavior

1. If a marquee includes only envelope points or automation items for a single envelope, that envelope becomes selected (current behavior).

2. If an envelope is selected, and the marquee includes envelope points or automation items on that envelope, then only that envelope is affected (current behavior).

3. Marquee never affects unselected envelopes, but marquee does affect an envelope that is selected during the marquee via #1 (current behavior for envelope points, not current behavior for automation items).

4. If an envelope is selected, and the marquee includes automation item handles on that envelope (the bar at the bottom of the automation item), only automation items are affected, not envelope points (current behavior).

5. If an envelope is not selected, or the marquee does not contain envelope points or automation items on a selected envelope, and the marquee contains media items, only media items are affected, and media items on multiple tracks can be selected at once (current behavior for envelope points, not current behavior for automation items).

6. No way to marquee select envelope points or automation items on multiple envelopes at once (current current behavior for envelope points, not current behavior for automation items).
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #13
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
6. No way to marquee select envelope points or automation items on multiple envelopes at once (current behavior for envelope points
Make a way, pleeeeeeease! ;_;

Regarding point 5., I think that's what is going to be confusing. As soon as an envelope is selected, marquee would contain both media items and envelope points/items, which might not be what was intended, if marquee was started from the track lane (implying user just wants to select media and media only). No?
Old 07-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #14
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
which doesn't work anyway on MacOS.
I think this is not a macos issue but instead an issue with how the active automation item is tracked. A screencap that includes showing how the envelope points are selected would be helpful.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #15
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Make a way, pleeeeeeease! ;_;

Sorry, but selecting and editing envelope points on multiple envelopes at once is out of scope for 5.50.

You can edit selected automation items on multiple envelopes at once, but the process for selecting those automation items is under discussion here.

The current behavior, where media items and automation items are all marquee-selected together, isn't ideal.

My proposal above is to only marquee select automation items on a single track at a time, though you could build a multiple-envelope selection via multiple marquee selections, or click-selecting. This has the advantage of treating automation item marquee selection just like envelope point selection, but maybe that's not much of an advantage.

MN's suggestion would be the other possibility, where a marquee that includes both media items and automation items (and does not include anything from a selected envelope) would select only media items if started over a track, and only automation items if started over an envelope lane. But that behavior wouldn't apply to envelope points.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #16
EvilDragon

Quote:
Sorry, but selecting and editing envelope points on multiple envelopes at once is out of scope for 5.50.
Sure, that is understood (especially considering RC status), but really consider adding this soon after 5.5, since a lot has been done to improve working with automation in this cycle! Why not improve it even more? And let's also not forget that Project Bay and Media Explorer would be GREAT for organizing (and in case of ME visually previewing) AIs, so this is something I'm looking forward to seeing in 5.51+. Right now we can only list AIs in Media Explorer, but on drag&drop, we get a "could not import" error. Sad

Quote:
The current behavior, where media items and automation items are all marquee-selected together, isn't ideal.

My proposal above is to only marquee select automation items on a single track at a time, though you could build a multiple-envelope selection via multiple marquee selections, or click-selecting. This has the advantage of treating automation item marquee selection just like envelope point selection, but maybe that's not much of an advantage.

MN's suggestion would be the other possibility, where a marquee that includes both media items and automation items (and does not include anything from a selected envelope) would select only media items if started over a track, and only automation items if started over an envelope lane.
I would definitely like to be able to select AIs over multiple tracks, so I think I'd like to give my vote for the context sensitivity of marquee - if started from track lane, select media, if from envelope lane, select AI - and both would work over multiple tracks then.

Quote:
But that behavior wouldn't apply to envelope points.
Unless, of course, in one of the next Reaper versions, we could marquee env points over multiple envs, right, yeah?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-04-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #17
Sexan

Quote:
I smell area selection
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #18
EvilDragon

I wouldn't be THAT hopeful
Old 07-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #19
schwa
Administrator

Quote:

You can edit selected automation items on multiple envelopes at once, but the process for selecting those automation items is under discussion here.

MN's suggestion would be the other possibility, where a marquee that includes both media items and automation items (and does not include anything from a selected envelope) would select only media items if started over a track, and only automation items if started over an envelope lane. But that behavior wouldn't apply to envelope points.

Thinking more about this... if we are going to support this behavior at all (with "env pts move with media items" disabled) then I think the current behavior is preferable, where media items and automation items are considered the same when marquee-selecting outside of a selected envelope.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:44 AM   #20
EvilDragon

With that option disabled, I guess yeah, it's a valid thing to expect. But with that option enabled... hrm!

Sooo... a checkbox somewhere for this option, then?
Old 07-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #21
ferropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
I smell area selection
Yup, would eliminate the distinction between dealing with tracks and automation.
ferropop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #22
heda

I like what schwa describes.
I don't like the representation of selected AIs and items. They are different. AIs get color of envelope. Items are brighter(but depends on theme) Are AIs themable? At least the border and label? Maybe it would be nice to have a nice themable bold border or something that would be common for items and automation items.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #23
EvilDragon

AIs aren't themable. IMHO it makes sense for them to have the same color as the envelope they are on.

We COULD have a LOT more colors for envelopes... Not just limited 4 colors... Custom RGB colors would be the way to go, manually assignable.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #24
heda

Quote:
AIs aren't themable. IMHO it makes sense for them to have the same color as the envelope they are on.
sure.. but for consistency, maybe they could be colored by envelope always, and white, or brighter, or themable color when selected. Just like normal items. Right now they are colored only when selected.

Quote:
We COULD have a LOT more colors for envelopes... Not just limited 4 colors... Custom RGB colors would be the way to go, manually assignable.
totally agree! Just like we can with tracks.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:08 PM   #25
Mercado_Negro

Quote:

I think I'll stand behind my first proposal where things are selected depending on where you start the marquee selection: track lane or envelope lane. Besides the fact it seems and feels intuitive it's also faster when you need to select several media items or automation items on multiple tracks at once.

Tiny note: please don't forget about selecting points on different envelope lanes later, at some point
Old 07-05-2017, 12:55 AM   #26
Gianfini

Quote:
Thinking more about this... if we are going to support this behavior at all (with "env pts move with media items" disabled) then I think the current behavior is preferable, where media items and automation items are considered the same when marquee-selecting outside of a selected envelope.

My two cents

When option is selected (envelope points move with item) then shown behavior is fine: i.e. when the item moves the AI get split and the part relative to item moves.

When the option is NOT selected the items should move without the AI. Unless I select both item and AI, then behavior shown is ok

Selecting both item and AI could be accomplished by marquee select including items and AI or marquee select items + CNTRL+marquee selec AIs.

Basically we should have full control over selecting only item, only AI or both. What is selected moves what is not doesn't. In case the "envelop poitns move with item" is ON the part of AI relative to item will move anyway (even if not selected)

does it make sense?

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #27
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
My two cents

When option is selected (envelope points move with item) then shown behavior is fine: i.e. when the item moves the AI get split and the part relative to item moves.

When the option is NOT selected the items should move without the AI. Unless I select both item and AI, then behavior shown is ok

Selecting both item and AI could be accomplished by marquee select including items and AI or marquee select items + CNTRL+marquee selec AIs.

Basically we should have full control over selecting only item, only AI or both. What is selected moves what is not doesn't. In case the "envelop poitns move with item" is ON the part of AI relative to item will move anyway (even if not selected)

does it make sense?

g

I think you are describing the current behavior, right?
Old 07-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #28
EvilDragon

That's pretty much how it sounds to me, as well.

I'm still for MN's idea even as an option.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #29
Mercado_Negro

I think, if possible it would be a nice idea to add a couple of mouse modifiers to envelope lane and track lane contexts to select both media items and automation items regardless of where you start the marquee selection on. Maybe that would please both camps.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #30
EvilDragon

Hmmm but that would kinda force you to use another hand to get to one of the keyboard modifiers... your original proposition is intelligent, if demanding a bit of care about where the marquee starts. Hence it could be an option (disabled by default).
Old 07-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #31
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Hmmm but that would kinda force you to use another hand to get to one of the keyboard modifiers... your original proposition is intelligent, if demanding a bit of care about where the marquee starts. Hence it could be an option (disabled by default).
What I propose would be the default behavior but I think it wouldn't hurt a couple of modifiers to select both media and automation items, in case someone needs that.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #32
Gianfini

Quote:
I think you are describing the current behavior, right?
I have to test it again tonight but looking at your licecap it seems that when the option is NOT selected moving the item moves also the whole AI (but I might be wrong, will tell you after testing again)

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:57 AM   #33
EvilDragon

Yes, and that is expected to happen, if both media and automation items are selected, and envelopes move with media items option is off.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:50 PM   #34
jnif

AI move and undo bugs:

1. If envelope does not already exist on a track where AI is move to, the envelope becomes bypassed when AI is dropped there.
2. After moving AIs to another track, multiple undo actions are needed to get the AIs back to original track. And still the AI selection is not correctly restored.
3. Envelopes on original track becomes bypassed if all AIs are temporarily dragged to another track but dropped back to same place at the original track.
4. AIs from multiple envelopes are incorrectly aligned to same envelope when dragging them towards the last envelope of the last track.

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #35
jnif

Quote:
4. If an envelope is selected, and the marquee includes automation item handles on that envelope (the bar at the bottom of the automation item), only automation items are affected, not envelope points (current behavior).
This behavior makes some edits unnecessarily difficult:

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:45 AM   #36
Travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
This behavior makes some edits unnecessarily difficult:

jnif
I also have this problem
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:49 AM   #37
Mercado_Negro

I can't post a licecap atm but yesterday I noticed that copying/pasting items with the option to move points with them and the option in preferences to create pooled automation items both enabled don't make pooled automation items but brand new ones.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:51 AM   #38
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
1. If envelope does not already exist on a track where AI is move to, the envelope becomes bypassed when AI is dropped there.
2. After moving AIs to another track, multiple undo actions are needed to get the AIs back to original track. And still the AI selection is not correctly restored.
3. Envelopes on original track becomes bypassed if all AIs are temporarily dragged to another track but dropped back to same place at the original track.
4. AIs from multiple envelopes are incorrectly aligned to same envelope when dragging them towards the last envelope of the last track.
Thanks for the detailed report! Should all be fixed for the next build.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:58 AM   #39
Edgemeal

Delete key does not remove selected AIs when they are selected using the marquee method.

Select multiple items and AIs using the Control key method, and try this...
First select an item and then select an AI, press Delete key, only the AI(s) is deleted.
First select an AI and then select an item, press Delete key, only the item(s) is deleted.
(Seems only the type (Item or AI) last selected gets deleted.)

Last edited by Edgemeal; 07-06-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #40
heda

I have the Esc key assigned to "Unselect all tracks/items/envelope points" ID 40769
I miss that it doesn't unselect Automation Items.
Maybe add AIs to that unselect action. Or make another action that would be "Unselect all tracks/items/envelope points/automation items"
Thanks!