Old 06-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
Tyrannocaster
Human being with feelings

Default Any Kontakt experts out there?

I have a Kontakt synth I really like; it's Strezov Oracle. It's a sort of hybrid synth, using samples, but with a lot of traditional synth controls, too. However, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to modulate the pitch to get vibrato on patches so I thought I'd go into Kontakt and try to do it there. To my surprise, the only control I could find which would let me do this in the editor is in the Mod sections under pitch, but it's already at its lowest setting of .01 hz and yet I am getting a vibrato sound for the patch in question which is much faster than that, and yet still not quite fast enough. I want to put it on a mod wheel, but that part I can do - it's the rest I'm having trouble with. If I increase it from .01 to .02 it goes way too fast - obviously, this number is not the actual speed of the modulation in herz, so I am confused.

Thing is, this patch emulates a Theremin (it's called "Thoughts of Theremin"), so you can see why the vibrato is so important, and why you need control over it in real time. I actually play the Theremin myself, so I'm pretty critical about this and the default setting the patch comes with is too slow.

I'm secretly hoping that someone will have this synth and know how to do this with the patch, but if not, I'd love to hear any suggestions. I don't have much experience editing inside Kontakt but I can't find anything else that changes the vibrato in any of the Mod tabs I can find.
Tyrannocaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
hopi

google for this:

kontakt vibrato script

EDIT: some of the links to the scripts seem to be dead but here is one that is alive

http://ksp.dynamitec.de/price.html

you have to put those into the presets\scripts folder for kontakt that is for user scripts... and then they will show up as user scripts...
don't just put them in the kontakt scripts folder cuz those are for the factory scripts...

it can be tricky to locate that folder since kontakt makes a few folders named "scripts"

One good way for me is to use the wrench to open the instrument's guts... go to scripts tab
select any empty script tab, then under Preset use "Save Preset"... that will show you the folder you want so
make a note of it's location... [and later make yourself a shortcut to it...]

OK then open your instrument using the wrench, clk the scripts tab and hopefully you'll have an empty slot, ...load one into that and give it a wirl...

There is spoken of the SIPS package but I don't find a working link to dl it... maybe Tod knows the link since it's associated with a buddy of his, Big Bob

anyway... if you get what you want with the script tweaked to your taste, then do a save or save as of the instrument... I'd do a save as after giving it a
new unique name

EDIT:: ok here's a link to the SIPS scripts

http://nilsliberg.se/ksp/scripts/sips/sips.htm

Last edited by hopi; 06-23-2018 at 10:47 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:41 AM   #3
Tod

Actually you don't need a script for this. Open Kontakt for editing and make sure you've got
all the Groups selected. To do that open the Group Editor and select the first group, then
scroll down to the bottom of the groups and Shift+Left-Click on the last group. Then make sure
you've got "Edit all groups" on.

Now go to the "Source" module and click on the "add mondulator" button and select LFO. Use
what ever wave shape you want, that can be changed later.

In my Steel Guitar, I also applied a LFO to the Volume in the Amplifier module, I kind of liked
the way the two of them sounded together. However, you don't have to do that to get vibrato.

Adjust the intensity slider, on the "Source LFO", I've got it set at 0.61%, but you can come back
and experiment later. For the Volume LFO I used 31.2%.

Then scroll down to the modulator section. Add both an "Intensity" and a "Frequency" to each LFO.
Then select the CC controllers you want to use as I show circled green. Intensity is the amount,
and Frequency is the speed.

That should get you started, you can experiment from there.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Tyrannocaster

Tod, thanks for all that info! I was able to get both the depth and the speed controlled by wheels on my external keyboard; sweet! And I saved the new instrument. Thanks so much.

Hopi, I have downloaded those scripts and will give them a look. They sound really interesting in their description. Wow, they are 10 years old! Thanks! EDIT: I tried one and it crashed Reaper, forcing me to reboot my whole system. :-(

Last edited by Tyrannocaster; 06-23-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #5
hopi

send me a PM private message with your email addy and I'll send you back
a modified version of the therimin synth

Last edited by hopi; 06-23-2018 at 01:46 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:50 AM   #6
Tyrannocaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
send me a PM private message with your email addy and I'll send you back
a modified version of the therimin synth
Cool! PM sent yesterday.