Old 02-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
Rednroll
Human being with feelings

Default Midi in Reaper, How?

Ok, I just started to look at the Midi side of things and I'm a bit confused. So far I was able to import a midi file onto a track. My next step was to add a VSTi and route that track to it. This is where I'm confused. So I thought, I would add the VSTi as a track insert. That didn't seem to work, I didn't hear any sound from the VSTi being triggered by the midi notes. So how do I set this up?
Rednroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
Justin
Administrator

You got it right, you just add the VSTi as a track effect. Not all VSTis work yet, though. The NI ones seem to work OK for me, and the 4front rhodes one too. and some other free ones I've tried do too.. so try some more I guess..

-J
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
Rednroll

Thanks for the info Justin. It's always good to hear that I was doing it correctly. Is there a plan to have Bus type instruments in the mixer section? I don't particularly like adding instruments as an insert, it's just not how I think. I like to put them in the main mixer window that exposes itself as a bus. This way for things like seperate midi drum tracks, I can have a seperate Snare track, Kick track, Hat track...etc. Then just route these seperate midi tracks to that bus, which contains the synth. The other way around I have to add 6 plus instances of the same synth for each tracks FX insert.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
pipelineaudio
Mortal

wait till we get our buss vs track thing figured

cant you put it on a buss right now?

Maybe we need another option on the folder thing for the folder to both start and end with that one track so its ONLY a buss?

Last edited by pipelineaudio; 02-07-2006 at 11:05 AM.
pipelineaudio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
fluffy

I think I get what he's saying.

It's the way Sonar works. You put a VSTi synth one a track and that synth then shows up as a midi output or device on your midi tracks. You can then send multiple midi tracks to that synth. I like working that way also.

I think that setup, using Justin's version track folders, would be fantastic.

It has to be said, though, that I'm very used to Cakewalks midi sequencer.
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
Rednroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio
wait till we get our buss vs track thing figured

cant you put it on a buss right now?
Yeah, I'm a little confused on the whole bus vs Folder tracks right now in the way it functions. I created a folder track and placed a VSTi into the FX insert. I then went to a midi tracks I/O icon and selected "Folder Track", and again I wasn't hearing anything. Then I tried a differenct VSTi on the folder track FX insert, I believe it was NI's Pro-53 and it caused Reaper to crash. I need to spend some more time playing around with this, but right now it just seems confusing on the way it's laid out on the whole Bus vs Folder track thingy.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

The main problem is that at the moment folder tracks don't get the midi data from their children. I will address that in the next rev.

-J
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
pipelineaudio
Mortal

see, no big deal

Im starting to enjoy how these folder tracks work for the most part
Old 02-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #9
RokkD

Folders/Busses/Groups/Subgroups/Aux buss/sends returns receives,...confuses the hell out of me (thats just me) but there're there so I use 'em. I don't know if there's a right way or a wrong way, but you sure can get creative with it, and for me it's just a matter of experimenting, and then more experimenting.

Here's one experiment that worked, last night I set up Reaper with 10 tracks, track 10 and 9 I labeled subgroup 1 and subgroup 2, I recorded 3 acoustic guitar tracks sending them to master send, and subgroup 1 to pick up some reverb, subgroup 1 was also set to receive tracks 1, 2 and 3 and set to master send where it picked up some eq and limiter before it travelled on its merry way to my monitors, I didnt need subgroup 2, had the project gotten any larger I might have used it, well I must have done something right because the end result was the sweetest sounding acoustic guitar Iv'e ever recorded.

Reaper RokkS....brmmm..brmmm..

--
RokkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #10
pipelineaudio
Mortal

man that is parallel on top of parallel on top of parallel! All these mastering engineers lately raving about parallel compression and such, its an interesting time to be doing something like this