Old 09-10-2015, 03:08 AM   #1
Icchan
Human being with feelings

Default Keyboard chord voicings to guitar chord voicings..

Hi.

I've tried to find out if there's a plugin that simply recognizes the chord you play on a keyboard, then looks from a map of guitar chord voicings for that particular chord and translates that into that voicing and passes that forward as midi to next plugin.

I know about Piz midi Chords and then there are a ton of plugins that recognizes the chord you play, like this one.

The trouble is that Piz midi Chord is not very easy to use for this case since it's meant for saving a bunch of chords and then recalling them. What I need Is a tool that saves me the time to figure out how to translate a particular chord into a guitar voicing to send to a VSTi plugin.

I'm no stranger to programming so I have pretty good idea about the algorithms and work required, but I've never done any VST programming and c++ isn't my forte so to speak. So t here's a large hurdle to clear in that regard.

I've thought about making this in LUA or JS though, could be easier.

If anyone has good ideas for plugin/script that can do this (preferably free), it would be a huge time saver. Especially these days that virtual guitar simulations are good enough to use as a composing tool.

If there are code snippets in LUA/JS that I could use as part of my implementation, those would be appreciated too.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
MusoBob

I thought Man this is great just what I need ! then I scroll down and no replies ):
MusoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #3
mschnell

For somebody interested, That would be rather easily doable in a live playable version as a JSFX.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:26 AM   #4
Lokasenna

But one chord on a piano can be voiced three or four different ways on a guitar...
Old 04-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
RCJacH

From my observation, the common CAGED chord voicing system contains only 2 shapes on piano, you can read in detail here https://rcjach.github.io/blog/fundam...iano-rollists/

Ordinary Drop2 and Drop3 voicing are common in jazz guitar applications.

Thus it's really just translating.

The problem lies in variations, as you can see in my blog. When there are extensions or variations beyond simple triad, the methods of variation will increase the complexity of the translation, and even more when you add fingering constrains of the player.

If you only use simple and fixed chord voicings and do not bother with chord voice-leading, then maybe picking a fixed way to play certain chord works.
RCJacH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
But one chord on a piano can be voiced three or four different ways on a guitar...
And vice-versa
Of course some randomization is necessary. Algorithms would be better, but complex, depending on musical style and supposedly not able to be agreed upon.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:18 AM   #7
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJacH View Post
From my observation, the common CAGED chord voicing system contains only 2 shapes on piano, you can read in detail here https://rcjach.github.io/blog/fundam...iano-rollists/

Ordinary Drop2 and Drop3 voicing are common in jazz guitar applications.

Thus it's really just translating.

The problem lies in variations, as you can see in my blog. When there are extensions or variations beyond simple triad, the methods of variation will increase the complexity of the translation, and even more when you add fingering constrains of the player.

If you only use simple and fixed chord voicings and do not bother with chord voice-leading, then maybe picking a fixed way to play certain chord works.
Bingo, it's all about the voice-leading.
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote