Old 04-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #1
Hypex
Human being with feelings

Default How to I duplicate a region or time selection?

Hi guys.

I know this sounds simple but I've spent too long so far looking at guides, action list and forums posts and haven't found exactly what I need which I thought was fairly simple.

So I set some markers and managed to mark a time selection by a double click on the timeline. So far so good. Looks like I have selected all tracks within the markers which was my aim. Okay, so how do I duplicate it?

What I mean exactly is that I want to create an exact duplicate of that time selection at the exact same place it is in the timeline so that area will be repeated twice. But I can't figure it out! It should be such a something simple.

I've even clicked at the top track where the end marker is so it should snap the cursor to it on the top track and pasted. But it never seems to paste there! I don't know what is going on. I understand Reaper will overlay and not insert as default but I can never see the paste happen at the set point. :-?

For the sake of simpleness say I have created a region. How do I double up the region by copying it and inserting another copy where the current region is. I think you get the picture.

My aim would be to duplicate whole sections of the timeline, like a verse, and have it repeat twice. Sometimes I'd just want to duplicate a few bars for drums but want all the tracks duplicated at that point. I can then freely do any muting or FX I want to later add.

Perhaps it would be easier if there was an insert action that acted like a word processor where a paste would insert the copy buffer. That's what I need! :-)

I don't mind binding a macro to a key for the task. Seems I need to position cursor at first track on start of time selection and then bump the tracks across to the end of time selection then paste to insert a copy in there.

Well that's it all I think. Seems I've now spent too much time on this post. We'll see. :-)
Hypex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
heda

drag the region with the CTRL key pressed?
Old 04-24-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
foxAsteria

Old 04-25-2015, 01:21 AM   #4
Hypex

@heda

Ctrl doesn't change behaviour here. I also tried Alt and Apple key to no avail. All I got was a region moved and everything after the region moved in its place!
Old 04-25-2015, 01:51 AM   #5
Hypex

@foxAsteria

Okay thanks. Getting somewhere. At first I couldn't get it work. Nothing seemed to happen. I was doing it manually to see how it was done. Then I saw it needed to work on an item. So I had to split at the cursor to separate it then select all items. And I could duplicate it. Now just gotta find a free key to bind it all too. :-)

However I found a major flaw. I've found that after the duplicate it causes Reaper to stop dead on playback. And it overlaid the duplicate! That's not a duplicate section, that an overwrite.

Anyway of finding what keys are unused?? That is apart from pressing each one in the Action find window to get an error every time. :-D

Last edited by Hypex; 04-25-2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
heda

@Hypex. See section 8.9 in the user guide
It must work
Old 04-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
foxAsteria

if that action isn't working for you, you're doing something wrong, sorry to say. i use it all day every day to duplicate my time selection. you don't need to split anything and you don't need an item selected. you just need to have a time selection. the actions must be in that exact order though and you need sws extensions installed. you can get a list of what actions are assigned to what shortcut in the help menu. select "key bindings and mouse modifiers."
Old 04-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #8
Hypex

@heda

No it's not happening. You're on OSX right? At first I saw a difference as I had one region on the left and none on the right. So I created some more regions on the right. No change. It seems unclear also where to drag it as the mouse changes from a pointer to a hand which looks right but that is timeline drag only. It would help it a region square moved so you knew you were dragging it. I'm using v4.75C BTW.

Anyway what happens is that the region is moved and not copied. I checked the HTML generated action and modifier list and Ctrl is not even listed nor can I see anything about a region copy. I checked the region manager and there was no sign of being able to copy there either.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:49 AM   #9
Hypex

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
if that action isn't working for you, you're doing something wrong, sorry to say.
I set up my own key shortcut with the actions listed. However SWS has stopped working here and is missing from my menu. What ever has happened there. So I didn't have the save and restore of selected items around my function list. Could that stop it from duplicating?

In fact it looks like it is duplicating as I can see a copy next door (without FX envelope) and the time is increased on the line as well as a duplicate item being in the recent action list. But now I have regions it ends up moving the region across and deleting the region drag-bar it is copied from. I'm not concerned there, I can always add another region. But the duplicate causes Reaper to stop dead. If I force the cursor past the duplicate and try to play the playback stops immediately! :-?

Quote:
you can get a list of what actions are assigned to what shortcut in the help menu. select "key bindings and mouse modifiers.
I've seen that before, in fact it is sitting in my browser, but a big list of items with keys interspersed between them doesn't help me! I need a keymap in front of me. So I built up my own list from the Action editor. Not a picture of a keyboard but still works. ;-)

Reaper OSX unused keys:
Q I O \
A H J K ;
C B /
Enter
Old 04-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #10
heda

oh sorry I didn't notice that this was posted in the OSX forum
I'm on windows.
It should work the same in OSX. But honestly I have no idea about OSX
sorry
Old 04-27-2015, 02:42 AM   #11
Hypex

@heda

There's a reason I posted in the OSX forum. ;-)

No that's fine. I solved it now. Thanks for your tips. I actually had read that section about regions and like a few other things in that manual it doesn't say enough and doesn't explain all scenarios. It is rather brief. I was correct in the first place in thinking that Ctrl wouldn't be used but the Cmd or Command key would be insetad. Or as I call it, the Apple key. I don't know why Apple call it a Command key, it has an apple on it!

So Apple has Command key. Amiga has Amiga key. Windows PC has Windows key but MS seeks to also confuse people by using the old fashioned Ctrl key! As do applications. So annoying. :-)

I found out that if you drag a region to the right with the "copy" key held down and there are no other regions to that right, but there are waveforms, then will move instead of copy.

So I made a few regions to the right. I then did the region copy again (with Apple key) and this time it worked! Hooray! :-D

Now just gotta find what is breaking my time selection copy... :-)
Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #12
Hypex

All

Okay. What if I want to make a time selection inside a region and duplicate it? So I have a duplicate copy of that selection right after?
Old 04-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #13
foxAsteria

i apologize, but i think i gave you the wrong action. i'll give you an updated one if you want.

if you turn on ripple editing for all tracks, select and split all items in the time selection, and then ctrl+drag them, you will be able to duplicate your selection, moving later items and extending the region. the custom action aims to do just that.

i didn't think it was necessary to split the items them first, but it seems that you might need to in some situations, i need to test it.

you should be able to reinstall sws extensions if they arent showing up. make sure they are installing in the same folder reaper is installed.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-27-2015 at 05:02 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:00 AM   #14
Hypex

@ foxAsteria

Okay thanks. Done some testing. Seems best to do it inside region otherwise I got mixed results and dead stops.

I was able to split and Cmd+drag to copy the selection next door. But then I lost my envelopes as they went out of whack.

However, I somehow was able to duplicate by making a time selection and then doing the duplicate items macro.

With SWS I checked the file installed and it said it was a bad CPU type. That's the problem with testing software on PPC platform, these things tend to fly under the radar. It still says PPC on SWS site so an OSX UB bug must have crept in. :-)
Old 04-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #15
Fergler

Ctrl drag time selection doesn't work for me, either. Ctrl drag is used on regions to copy them, not time selection. There is nothing in the mouse modifiers about time selection from either the ruler or from arrange.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #16
foxAsteria

wow well reaper stopped supporting ppc a while ago i believe, so probably sws has as well.

maybe try the "add edge point" options in envelope display preferences for preserving your envelopes when copying. i use both options. at least one is needed for the custom action to work without altering envelope shapes.

well in any case, keep trying, this will be a good way to learn how to build custom actions, since this is one everyone has had to do at one point or another. never been a default action for duplicating time selection in reaper.

and no, you're right, you probably can still do it without sws. i use their cycle action editor for this now, but a custom action will work too.

i don't get any "dead stops" using a custom action to duplicate selected area of items.

i changed/simplified the custom action file in the image in my post #3. tested it in a default config with envelopes, seems to work fine, see if that works for you.

@fergler you can ctrl+drag items in the time selection to duplicate as well, dunno who said to ctrl+drag the time selection...

Last edited by foxAsteria; 04-29-2015 at 12:41 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:13 AM   #17
Hypex

The last PPC version is REAPER v4.75 - November 7, 2014. So not that long ago. The SWS site mentions PPC specifically next to the OSX download link. So if PPC isn't supported then that should be removed and a note made in the read me. I also see that SWS site go down a lot. Can't load it now.

I read some thread about some guy looking for a DAW for PPC to use on a PPC Mac. He tried a few and after some suggestions found Reaper to be the best and still developing for PPC. It was from about a year ago. I was in the same sort of position.

Well I have got it working okay now. The difference could be that it is all regionalised. For some reason I can now duplicate it. I can duplicate a region with a Cmd+Drag. And I can now duplicate a time selection with my duplicate action. The funny thing is now the envelope is coped and there is no dead stop! :-?

Here's my action. Copied from yours. I was going to paste it here. Wish Reaper could export actions as text. So it does all yours does except split items and turn off rippling. :-)
Old 05-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #18
foxAsteria

sure you're at the right site? http://sws.mj-s.com/
never noticed any problems. anyway, glad you got it sorted, but it's a good idea to keep ripple editing off when you don't need it, as simple things like deleting an item will remove an entire section of your project, which is usually not something you want to do.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:56 AM   #19
Hypex

Yeah that was the site. Working again now. Ended up submitting bug report. Broke a few versions ago.

I left ripple editing on as I would like to a cut to actually cut. Plus I avoid cutting and prefer copy. :-)

Now I've mastered that I've found I now want to select certain tracks in the time selection. Well, back to the action list. :-)

Last edited by Hypex; 09-01-2015 at 01:58 AM.