Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #241
_Stevie_
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbeauvaisc View Post
In an unrelated matter, is there a way to stop Ctrl + mouse wheel from resizing the tracks height? I'm always seem to accidently changing track size and I would prefer to use shortcuts to recall specific sizes. On Cubase I often recall all tracks to 4 rows or 2 rows and then shortcuts for selected tracks.
Yeah, I did the same in Cubase

I can remember a discussion here on the forums about CTRL + wheel.
But I can't recall what the outcome was. I think it is indeed hardcoded into Reaper.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:34 PM   #242
_Stevie_

Quote:
Wow that worked great! I'm realizing it only works with items and not selected note within the events. Is there a way? All I found was first note of item or event.

Thanks
Are you referring to the native reaper actions or my script?
My script does only move to items, currently. But I have indeed planned
to make it context sensitive (arrange, MIDI editor)
Old 12-03-2020, 07:36 PM   #243
_Stevie_

Quote:
I absolutely love your script that zoom automatically to the item content in the midi editor. I've assigned that to my default F2 shortcut to open the editor but I'd still love to figure out how to have it work when I simply double click an item. I feel it should not be too complicate but if have any thoughts on the how to, I'd be glad to hear it. Mouse modifiers maybe.
There's indeed a better script than mine (which was based 99% on Julian Sader's code anyway). You might want to check out this here:
https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=238851
Old 12-03-2020, 07:45 PM   #244
_Stevie_

Quote:
And lastly, I've started using you script to render instruments without FX. It's great but it does not render audio tracks so I'd need a second action to do both. I've created a custom action that can do both.
Hmm, what are you trying to do? The "render instruments without FX" script is basically a quick way to create an audio file from a VSTi.
Since an audio file is already an audio file, the script does not work here.

Quote:
And then one last thing I'll miss from Cubase is the way folders allow to rearrange sections. In Cubase, I always have a top folder that includes all tracks for that purpose.
Ah, I know what you mean. Yeah there's nothing native, but check this out here:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=205731

Quote:
So there you go, I'm almost there. If you can provide any suggestions, I'd appreciate enormously. Is there any way we can donate to you guys, I feel I own a lot to the great Reaper coders. I gave too much money to Steinberg without any form of support so I'm more than happy to help out when I can.

Cheers,
I personally don't take donations, since I literally share the scripts that I create for my own work. But feel free to support any of the guys in my signature. I know amagalma has a hard time right now, since he is not able to do live gigs due to Covid19. Feel free to support him here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....=1#post2366026
Old 12-03-2020, 09:17 PM   #245
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Are you referring to the native reaper actions or my script?
My script does only move to items, currently. But I have indeed planned
to make it context sensitive (arrange, MIDI editor)
That would be great! I was referring to both native action and script. In Cubase, the shortcut works with both event or note because it focuses on selection. Works with automation points too.

Anything else I’ll get used to but this is something I’ll really struggle with.
fbeauvaisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:34 AM   #246
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
There's indeed a better script than mine (which was based 99% on Julian Sader's code anyway). You might want to check out this here:
https://forums.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=238851
Wow those look great! They're fixing another thing that bothered me a bit. The kind of
left anker in the midi editor. I'm using an ultra wide monitor and having that left ankers was not a deal breaker but those scripts are very nice! Thanks,
Old 12-04-2020, 04:54 AM   #247
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Hmm, what are you trying to do? The "render instruments without FX" script is basically a quick way to create an audio file from a VSTi.
Since an audio file is already an audio file, the script does not work here.
I got used to printing VSTi very early in my workflow. I prefer to work with audio than midi. The fact that Reaper lets me host both on the same track is simply an enormous advantage over Cubase in my workflow. So the custom action I made is doing exactly what I want. It renders without FX like your script but also works on audio files so I can use the same shortcuts on both situation. Whether I'm using VSTi or audio. I also like to render edits and stretch markers as I go but since I'm using Console 1 on all tracks, I rarely want to render the fx along with my edits.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:53 AM   #248
_Stevie_

Quote:
I got used to printing VSTi very early in my workflow. I prefer to work with audio than midi. The fact that Reaper lets me host both on the same track is simply an enormous advantage over Cubase in my workflow. So the custom action I made is doing exactly what I want. It renders without FX like your script but also works on audio files so I can use the same shortcuts on both situation. Whether I'm using VSTi or audio. I also like to render edits and stretch markers as I go but since I'm using Console 1 on all tracks, I rarely want to render the fx along with my edits.
Ahhh gotcha, but then you could use the native „glue“ action, even if you only select one item. It will make the changes persistent, without the FX. It’s basically like an apply action.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:12 AM   #249
fbeauvaisc

Quote:
Ahhh gotcha, but then you could use the native „glue“ action, even if you only select one item. It will make the changes persistent, without the FX. It’s basically like an apply action.
Thanks, I had not thought of that. One thing I'm still a bit struggling with is finding the right action since the terminology is very different from Cubase. I love having thousands of actions but the actions list can be a little overwhelming. I've often searched for actions filterging the wrong nomenclature, ended up writing a thread only to realize I was not looking in the right direction.

That being said, I like having to same shortcut for both situations.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:15 PM   #250
fbeauvaisc

Default Warp Tool like Cubase's AudioWarp - Free Warp

Hello again Stevie,

So this is not a simple task but I'm asking anyway if you have any leads.

I'm trying to make a stretch smart tool that would work similarly to what Cubase has in it's sample editor AudioWarp tab using the Free Warp fonction. Now that I use Melodyne for pitch, I dont miss VariAudio but I was working ultra fast like Ninja using the AudioWarp in Cubase.

I dont know if this is something you used a lot but as it is, I'll never be as fast with Reaper so I need to create a custom tool for this.

Basically, in Cubase using free warp, a single click/hold/drag would create a warp point and drag it. Hopefully there's a way to do that in Reaper.

In Reaper, I'm using a script by Amagalma that shows a guide line on events sort of like the way Cubase has when using the scissors. The Amagalma tool obeys to snap.

So the custom warp tool would need to be set to "snap off" by default and then activate snap on the mouse click (then hold/drag) so that the created warp point can snap to grid but snap must be off so that I can align the amagalma guide line to the off grid transients, create a point and then drag it and snap it to the grid. All of this with a single click/hold/drag/release.

Last but not least, in Cubase, still in the audiowarp free warp windows, the Alt key modifier would bring up the eraser and by simply swiping through a line (warp point) I can erase that warp point.

I'm trying to explain this as accurately as I can. I hope it's not too confusing. If it is, I can probably make a small video of Cubase's behavior with this.

Any thoughts? If not, any idea who I should take this to?

Made a thread about this here : https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=246005

Thanks,

Last edited by fbeauvaisc; 12-06-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:06 AM   #251
fbeauvaisc

Amagalma made a script for the continuous playback when I send the cursor to note start. Super happy about this! Thought I'd share that with you.

There's the thread :

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread....33#post2375433
Old 12-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #252
_Stevie_

Awesome, glad it's working now!
Old 11-22-2021, 09:38 AM   #253
mozart999uk

Hi Stevie. Hope you are well.

Can I check something with one of your scripts?

"Select notes after edit cursor(in selected items or midi editor"

When I'm using this in the midi editor, it is selecting notes before the edit cursor as well. Not many - about 2/3rd of a bar at 100BPM.

Any ideas?
mozart999uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #254
_Stevie_

Hm, can't repo here. Can you upload a minimal project with the issue?
Old 11-23-2021, 02:30 AM   #255
mozart999uk

Quote:
Hm, can't repo here. Can you upload a minimal project with the issue?
Thanks Stevie. PM'd you :-)
Old 11-23-2021, 04:50 AM   #256
_Stevie_

Hey Matthew,

got your PM and checked the project. The issue has to do with the take offset e.g. hidden areas before the item. If both are different, then a wrong position is the result. I have to find a way to cover that edge case. But for now, you can simply enlarge the item start and then put it back where it was. That will fix it.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:02 AM   #257
mozart999uk

Thanks Stevie., Fraid I don't quite understand the take offset / hidden thing :-( but I'm glad you could reproduce it too :-)

I have reaper set so that when recording midi, it doesn't start creating an item until I actually start playing....if that helps????
Old 11-23-2021, 05:06 AM   #258
_Stevie_

The item always acts as the container and the take sits inside (also often referred as source). Sometimes (I have yet to find out when), the take and item don't align anymore. And this is when MIDI scripts get in trouble. Will investigate if there's a simple way to work around this.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:35 AM   #259
mozart999uk

Quote:
The item always acts as the container and the take sits inside (also often referred as source). Sometimes (I have yet to find out when), the take and item don't align anymore. And this is when MIDI scripts get in trouble. Will investigate if there's a simple way to work around this.
Ah I see. Thanks for explaining :-)
Old 01-14-2022, 07:35 AM   #260
mozart999uk

"Change note length (mousewheel)"

What a fantastic script! Just soooooooooo useful when there's a note with tiny length - too small to hold the cursor over and wait for it to change. !!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2022, 04:22 PM   #261
_Stevie_

Glad you like it 😊
Old 01-28-2022, 02:32 AM   #262
mozart999uk

Hi Stevie.

Wonder if you can help. I'm looking for a quantise script, in the midi editor, that quantises selected notes only, to the closest grid, with a percentage.

I've tried your various Quantize note scripts but I can't find one that works exactly that way. Can you help?
Old 01-28-2022, 04:37 AM   #263
_Stevie_

The "Quantize notes (bundle)" should actually do exactly what you want.
In order to quantize the selected notes in the MIDI editor, your mouse cursor needs to hover the MIDI editor (this is necessary for docked MIDI editor workflows).

Then you would use "sr_Quantize notes 50 percent - grid.lua".
Additionally, you can create a new version of the script for, let's say, 20% quantize by editing the user area and saving the script under a different name.

Let me know if that works.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:38 AM   #264
mozart999uk

Ah ha! The key was the "mouse cursor - hover" part. I was testing them using the mouse to select and then "run".

The particular action you suggested is in fact how I remember "iterative" quantize working in Cubase. Each time you run the action is quantizes a bit more.

Brilliant!
Old 01-28-2022, 05:43 AM   #265
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart999uk View Post
Ah ha! The key was the "mouse cursor - hover" part. I was testing them using the mouse to select and then "run".
!
Awesome, glad it works for you!

Quote:
The particular action you suggested is in fact how I remember "iterative" quantize working in Cubase. Each time you run the action is quantizes a bit more.

Brilliant!
That was exactly the blue print for this script bundle
I wanted it to work exactly like the iterative quantize from Cubase.

Btw, you can also use razor edit! Make a razor selection in the arrange, and all note starts that fall into the selection are quantized.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:49 AM   #266
mozart999uk

Quote:
Awesome, glad it works for you!

That was exactly the blue print for this script bundle
I wanted it to work exactly like the iterative quantize from Cubase.

Btw, you can also use razor edit! Make a razor selection in the arrange, and all note starts that fall into the selection are quantized.
Oooh that's cool. I'll try it!
Old 01-28-2022, 09:09 AM   #267
mozart999uk

Oh my. Intelligent "selected" or "all"....:-)
Old 01-28-2022, 01:19 PM   #268
_Stevie_

Elementary! Applies to all my MIDI scripts
Old 02-10-2022, 04:53 AM   #269
mozart999uk

Stevie. A "coming from Cubase" question for you.

I used to use "alt" to select the scissors icon in Cubase in order to cut things.

I've found archies script "Split selected item(s) under mouse cursor) and assigned it to alt left click on items. However, for me it doesn't actually cut multiple items if they are selected.

I'm guessing the problem is that the script is getting an extra mouse click which deselects all the other items.

I've tried an SWS and FTC one as well which does the same.

Have you found a solution to this?
Old 02-10-2022, 03:59 PM   #270
_Stevie_

Yes, that’s right. That’s a feature in the mouse modifier clicks on items. When you click on an item, a left click on the item is executed first. However (I can’t recall how I solved it), with my split item scripts this should work as intended, e.g. like in Cubase. I will take at it tomorrow!

I actually have a split tool in the works (changing the mouse cursor to scissors, different mouse focuses, etc….), but I haven’t been able to work on it for 1 year. I hope I can catch up, soon.
Old 02-11-2022, 01:38 AM   #271
mozart999uk

Thanks Stevie. So great having a fellow Cubase Emigrant who understands these things.
:-)
Old 02-11-2022, 05:34 AM   #272
_Stevie_

And so great to have someone with the same mindset

As much as I‘m happy to have moved away from Cubase: Cubase just got a lot of workflow things right and I couldn’t live without them anymore!
Old 02-11-2022, 05:49 AM   #273
mozart999uk

Quote:
As much as I‘m happy to have moved away from Cubase: Cubase just got a lot of workflow things right and I couldn’t live without them anymore!
Absolutely! :-)
Old 02-11-2022, 07:26 AM   #274
_Stevie_

Okay, so I checked again with the split item script.
That's how I have set it up and use it:

Old 02-11-2022, 08:03 AM   #275
mozart999uk

Thanks Stevie. Sorry dumb question. I can't find that particular script. Is it in reapack? I've just done a sync but still no luck
Old 02-11-2022, 08:31 AM   #276
_Stevie_

Ah, goodness, the script is in my WIP script folder and not released yet.
It does have some other features though, that I wasn't sure how useful they would be for others.

The script basically deletes left over notes, when they cross the split point based on a customisable threshold value:

I can share the script if you want, but I want to have a closer look at the code again before releasing it via Reapack.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:19 AM   #277
mozart999uk

Quote:
Ah, goodness, the script is in my WIP script folder and not released yet.
It does have some other features though, that I wasn't sure how useful they would be for others.

The script basically deletes left over notes, when they cross the split point based on a customisable threshold value:

I can share the script if you want, but I want to have a closer look at the code again before releasing it via Reapack.
Ah my bad. I thought it was already out, already working and that I'd missed it. :-)

Absolutely no rush.

I can't remember how cubase handled midi notes in items with regards splits. Did we have an option to either split and delete over hangs or just split?
Old 02-11-2022, 09:22 AM   #278
_Stevie_

Cubase had the option to keep the notes, when the item was split. However, when they were unquantized (and therefore not fall on the full bar), they would still be audible. It was something that bugged me with Cubase a lot.
Old 02-14-2022, 01:04 AM   #279
mozart999uk

Quote:
Cubase had the option to keep the notes, when the item was split. However, when they were unquantized (and therefore not fall on the full bar), they would still be audible. It was something that bugged me with Cubase a lot.
I remember that!
Old 02-14-2022, 03:38 AM   #280
mozart999uk

Stevie, would the script work with snap settings? So if snap was off for example.....sometimes I like to do very precise snips (as the circumcision surgeon said)