Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Linux

Old 03-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #441
raovlf
Human being with feelings

Hello everyone, hope everything's fine.

I do have a strange behavior wen I edit loops in Reaper, for instance, wen I go to the media explorer and import a loop to my project with "Tempo match on" selected everything goes as supposed, but sometimes, after editing, slicing and copy/paste for a while the playback rate of some of the clips start to change randomly or to 0.000001, by then, this starts to happen in all clips that I try to change/move/copy and so on. If I open the same project in Reaper through wine everything works as expected. Does this happens to someone else?

Thanks in advance.
raovlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #442
JamesPeters

Are those uncompressed WAV files, or some kind of compressed media? If it's compressed, the item length isn't always as "readable" as an uncompressed file.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:43 AM   #443
theeighth

Hello.
I have a problem with JS-plugins on Linux - they are not working. When I'm trying to use a JS-plugin, all it does is switching off the sound (not on track, but on plugin output), or even does nothing. Parameter controls are useless too because it usually works as a slider with two values - lowest and highest.

I'll explain on "Apple 12-pole filter", which is a JS-plugin and does exactly what I'm writing about.
When I add this filter on track's FX, it does nothing, because default parameters for this filter are all zero.
Now, when I try to move any "cutoff filter" it goes straight to the left, or straight to the right. 100% or 0% cutoff.
When I'm trying to set the slope, sound just goes off - no sound on output, but still a signal on the input.

I had the same problem a while ago, but with some reaper updates, it disappeared. Now, with reaper 607 it happened again. And yes, I've tried to degrade reaper to previous versions, and this is not working believe me.

So. What can I do to fix this?
theeighth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:50 PM   #444
JamesPeters

See this post. Perhaps the same setting needs to be changed again in your system.

I can't reproduce your issue on my system using the latest Reaper, Xubuntu, and that particular plugin.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:25 AM   #445
maethi

Default Problem Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by maethi View Post
Hi everyone!

After getting fed up with bugs and limitations in Ardour I've wanted to switch to Reaper. But for the last few months that I kept downloading the latest version, as soon as I start Reaper, before I even open a project, the fan gets loud and within 3min the CPU temperature is at 100°C (212°F). Interestingly the CPU usage is fine, Reaper uses 2-3% and no other background process goes wild either. As soon as I close Reaper, everything goes back to normal within seconds.

I run Arch with the 5.4.15 Zen kernel and the performance CPU governor on a Lenovo X230, no Pulse Audio, only ALSA and Jack2.

I'd appreciate any help because this way I simply can't run Reaper. I'd rather not install Wine. Despite what everybody says it has never ever worked well for anything with me.

Best, Maethi
Hi everyone. In case someone runs into the same problem or if the devs want to look into it: After having given up on Reaper, I felt like trying one more time. Under Preferences > Audio > Device I found an active checkbox labeled "Disable power management if supported (requires permissions to /dev/cpu_dma_laten" (brackets as quoted). Deactivating this checkbox fixed my problem and I'm extremely happy now.

Best, Maethi
maethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:21 AM   #446
clepsydrae

Ah, makes sense, thanks for following up.

Usually you want to disable CPU power management when you are tuning a computer for audio. The reason is that if the CPU switches frequencies while processing real time audio, it can lead to drop-outs. (This option is unchecked by default.) So reaper has the option to do it for you when you run reaper, in case you don't want to do it for your whole computer.

If your laptop is spinning the fans up from that option being checked, but with no usage of the CPU, it might be an indication that your fans are clogged with lint or something. Or maybe the laptop just isn't great at thermal management. Some quick research seems to indicate that the x230 often wants the thermal paste on the CPU to be re-done... so that might also be the issue.

At any rate, keep an eye out for dropouts... if you need to re-enable the option, you might be able to solve the issue with better cooling in the laptop.
clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #447
theeighth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
See this post. Perhaps the same setting needs to be changed again in your system.

I can't reproduce your issue on my system using the latest Reaper, Xubuntu, and that particular plugin.

Yep, that worked.
Thanks! =)

I had a Russian locale set to default in my Debian Stretch so what I did was that I've added "LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8" to /etc/default/locale file and then logged out and logged back into the system. Now it works.

But I think it's rather odd that I had reaper working fine without changing locale options before and faced that issue again after some time or after one of the updates.

Last edited by theeighth; 03-31-2020 at 09:51 AM.
theeighth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:05 AM   #448
deepdjdanny

Default please post.. linux reaper bugs... like... in... here...

control p has become super dodgy dodgy. kinda important as i often use the qwerty for keyboard shortcuts n stuff like that. like everyone with an operating system and qwerty keyboard. ...and... like configuration is pretty important. mofos.
it does becomes usable again after qwerty'ing in my shortcut to say show n hide the dock (alt d). then control p presto preferences. just not my preference and yours niether/neither. i don't know about you... but that bugs me. thanx i am dumb.

jack and carla suck bigtime too. but... hey... they are unrelated, aren't they!
...kinda grumpy.
xubuntu on a shit 2gigram acer piece/peice of celery dipped in poo.
pity akai force only got 2gigram too... fuck me.
and, headsup: i actually kill mac book pro's and dell's with i7's n 8 cores.
arms forget it.

excuse me... i gotta get back into hacking apart my midi controller.
btw... anyone get ctrlr to work in linux? and then has anyone got a roland a-500pro midi configuration editor panel for it?
cheers...

Last edited by deepdjdanny; 04-01-2020 at 01:19 AM.
deepdjdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:12 AM   #449
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdjdanny View Post
control p has become super dodgy dodgy. kinda important as i often use the qwerty for keyboard shortcuts n stuff like that. like everyone with an operating system and qwerty keyboard. ...and... like configuration is pretty important. mofos.
it does becomes usable again after qwerty'ing in my shortcut to say show n hide the dock (alt d). then control p presto preferences. just not my preference and yours niether/neither. thanx i am dumb.

jack and carla suck bigtime too. but... hey... they are unrelated, aren't they!
...kinda grumpy.
xubuntu on a shit 2gigram acer piece/peice of celery poo.
pity akai force only got 2gigram too...
and, headsup: i actually kill mac book pro's and dell's with i7's n 8 cores.
arms forget it.
1) I hit ctrl+P and it calls up preferences dialog without any problems. I use the latest Xubuntu with the latest kernel. However, I may have removed CTRL+P key mapping of Xubuntu (in the "keyboard" settings dialog), since I tend to remove some default key mappings of the OS to free them up for other apps. You might want to check that out. (Xubuntu Menu -> Keyboard -> Application Shortcuts.)

2) I have no idea what the rest of your post is about.

Last edited by JamesPeters; 04-01-2020 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #450
maethi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Ah, makes sense, thanks for following up.

Usually you want to disable CPU power management when you are tuning a computer for audio. The reason is that if the CPU switches frequencies while processing real time audio, it can lead to drop-outs. (This option is unchecked by default.) So reaper has the option to do it for you when you run reaper, in case you don't want to do it for your whole computer.

If your laptop is spinning the fans up from that option being checked, but with no usage of the CPU, it might be an indication that your fans are clogged with lint or something. Or maybe the laptop just isn't great at thermal management. Some quick research seems to indicate that the x230 often wants the thermal paste on the CPU to be re-done... so that might also be the issue.

At any rate, keep an eye out for dropouts... if you need to re-enable the option, you might be able to solve the issue with better cooling in the laptop.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. It still doesn't make sense to me, even if there is a cooling issue - which is probably the case. I have optimized my system for low latency and the scaling governor is set to "performance", i.e. it always runs at the maximum frequency. So in my understanding, the Reaper option should be redundant. And it only occurs with Reaper and no other process except for obviously demanding tasks. Even if the project is completely empty.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #451
clepsydrae

Quote:
I have optimized my system for low latency and the scaling governor is set to "performance", i.e. it always runs at the maximum frequency.
Oh, interesting. Have you verified that the frequency scaling is working as you expect? I.e. with a meter that tells you the current frequency?

Quote:
So in my understanding, the Reaper option should be redundant. And it only occurs with Reaper and no other process except for obviously demanding tasks.
Yeah if it's already really at max frequency all the time, then I'm at a loss.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:54 AM   #452
chuckwood

Default drag and drop samples into plugins

Sorry if this has been posted within this thread already, I didn't find it mentioned but it has been talked about in a seperate thread:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=225425

I can't get any 3rd party Vsti to accept dragging and dropping a sample from either reaper's media explorer or an external folder.
I've tried TAL sampler, Renoise Redux, DiscoDSP Bliss, Sitala.

This is working in Bitwig and Renoise with all mentioned plugins except TAL sampler (which is a new experimental linux build with many bugs still).

Would it be right to call this a bug and mention it here?
I prefer using Reaper's media explorer and really miss it.
(Reaper's own RS5K works as expected)
chuckwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #453
maethi

Quote:
Oh, interesting. Have you verified that the frequency scaling is working as you expect? I.e. with a meter that tells you the current frequency?

Yeah if it's already really at max frequency all the time, then I'm at a loss.
I hadn't verified that the frequency scaling was really always at the maximum and it turns out it wasn't. I still have to find out why, but you were right and it all makes sense now. Thank you very much for your explanations!
Old 04-11-2020, 05:05 PM   #454
clepsydrae

Quote:
I hadn't verified that the frequency scaling was really always at the maximum and it turns out it wasn't. I still have to find out why, but you were right and it all makes sense now. Thank you very much for your explanations!
Awesome. Yeah the various tools and configurations and such relating to frequency scaling are kind of squirrely and it's useful (IME) to confirm that things are working as expected.
Old 04-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #455
kickore

Default Sway/Wayland popup(context) menu issues

Having a problem in Swaywm where if a sub-menu of a context menu is closed (such as navigating away from it) the parent popup menu closes. This is quite annoying when it comes to, say, navigating the "Extensions" menu, as the first option being a submenu for ReaPack means I have to use the arrow keys to avoid opening the submenu.

I can't reproduce this in Gnome, but I also can't reproduce this in any other X11 program.

What is Reaper using for the GUI backend? (QT, GTK, ..?)

It's clearly a combination of wlroots/sway and Reaper, but I can't narrow it down.
kickore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #456
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickore View Post
What is Reaper using for the GUI backend? (QT, GTK, ..?)
GTK.

Yeah that sounds annoying. Works fine for me in KDE/kwin/kubuntu. Maybe just a wm bug as you suggest.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:50 PM   #457
cfillion

It's using GTK for window creation, but all the actual widgets (menus, buttons, etc) are custom-made for REAPER (in the opensource WDL/SWELL library).
cfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:21 AM   #458
kickore

Quote:
GTK.

Yeah that sounds annoying. Works fine for me in KDE/kwin/kubuntu. Maybe just a wm bug as you suggest.
Quite! Good to know it's pretty much just in Sway.
I can just switch to GNOME for whenever I want to use Reaper, for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfillion View Post
It's using GTK for window creation, but all the actual widgets (menus, buttons, etc) are custom-made for REAPER (in the opensource WDL/SWELL library).
Thanks for the info!

--

Would it be appropriate to file an issue in WDL's github, or is posting here the sort of "official" way to file a bug as of right now?
kickore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #459
Jack Winter

I could be wrong, but AFAIK reaper uses GDK/cairo.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 03:54 AM   #460
GuillaumeD

Default Bug with F11 (full screen)

Hi everyone,

I have not read all the last bugs posted within this thread already (sorry).

But I just want to know if I am alone with this bug : when I switch in full screen view (shortcut F11), it's impossible to go back and change this mode.
And then, some functions are not possible (for example, I can't click on Preferences, with the text on the right top of the window).

I have to close Reaper and re-open it, and then F11 is functional again.

So?
GuillaumeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:48 AM   #461
Xasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeD View Post
Hi everyone,

I have not read all the last bugs posted within this thread already (sorry).

But I just want to know if I am alone with this bug : when I switch in full screen view (shortcut F11), it's impossible to go back and change this mode.
And then, some functions are not possible (for example, I can't click on Preferences, with the text on the right top of the window).

I have to close Reaper and re-open it, and then F11 is functional again.

So?
Distro? WM?

Can't reproduce your issue here, I'm afraid (Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit, REAPER 6.08). F11 toggles freely between full-screen and normal and I can click at the top right to show Prefs - Audio Device with no problem.
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #462
GuillaumeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xasman View Post
Distro? WM?
Sorry : Linux Mint MATE 19.3 64-bits, REAPER 6.08

Quote:
Can't reproduce your issue here, I'm afraid (Ubuntu 18.04 64-bit, REAPER 6.08). F11 toggles freely between full-screen and normal and I can click at the top right to show Prefs - Audio Device with no problem.
Thanks for your comment.
With my setup, F11 doesn't toggle

I hope I find how to fix it (a Reaper update?!)
Old 04-27-2020, 09:33 AM   #463
GuillaumeD

Default Marker's shortcuts

Another shortcut problem with Reaper : the default shortcuts "1" "2" etc. don't work to jump between my markers.

I'm alone again?

Futhermore, it doesn't matter how I setup my keyboard in my OS.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #464
Steven Jay Cohen

Default Time to move to a bug tracker?

Since this thread is now 12 pages deep, it really isn't practical to read through the whole thread to see if my bug has already been reported/if there is a work around/etc.

Would you consider a new forum for reaper linux bugs (1 bug per thread)? or maybe moving to a bug tracking system?

If we (the end users) have a better understanding of what's new/already known/in the process of being fixed, then we can be more helpful to you all on the programming end.

AudioTechnica AT4047/SV • Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) • Debian Stable/Testing
Steven Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #465
clepsydrae

I think the dedicated Linux subforum is the appropriate place, now.

AFAIK there hasn't been a direction one way or another from Cockos about where is best to post bugs, but I have posted bugs there and others as well, and it seems better for the reasons mentioned. (This thread pre-dates that dedicated subforum's existence.)

But Cockos seem to keep a close eye on the forums, so I'd guess they'd see a post wherever it was submitted.

Edit: on second thought, I now see that this thread is stickied at the top of the Linux subforum. :-) So maybe they do want the bugs collected here, but it seems counter-productive. I'd vote for retiring this thread, myself.
Old 04-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #466
lilith93

Quote:
Sorry : Linux Mint MATE 19.3 64-bits, REAPER 6.08

Thanks for your comment.
With my setup, F11 doesn't toggle

I hope I find how to fix it (a Reaper update?!)
It's working for me with Debian 10. Can you reassign this short cut?
lilith93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #467
Steven Jay Cohen

Maybe Jack might consider editing the first post in this thread what says:

"Please post bugs that you think are related to running REAPER on Linux in this thread."

I saw that and immediately assumed that the "correct" thing was to file all bugs here.

Quote:
I think the dedicated Linux subforum is the appropriate place, now.

AFAIK there hasn't been a direction one way or another from Cockos about where is best to post bugs, but I have posted bugs there and others as well, and it seems better for the reasons mentioned. (This thread pre-dates that dedicated subforum's existence.)

But Cockos seem to keep a close eye on the forums, so I'd guess they'd see a post wherever it was submitted.

Edit: on second thought, I now see that this thread is stickied at the top of the Linux subforum. :-) So maybe they do want the bugs collected here, but it seems counter-productive. I'd vote for retiring this thread, myself.

AudioTechnica AT4047/SV • Focusrite Scarlett Solo (3rd Gen) • Debian Stable/Testing
Steven Jay Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:22 PM   #468
GuillaumeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
This function (full screen view) is not essential in my workflow, so I prefer don't use it until it will be fixed.
F11 toggle works fine once every two tries. It's curious.

But when it bugs, it's like the application freezes in a foreground mode!
So it's impossible to switch or open a terminal, I have to reboot my session (CTRL+SHIFT+backspace) --> CTRL+Q works too (it's better)

Thanks for your feedback.

Last edited by GuillaumeD; 04-28-2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: precision
Old 04-28-2020, 02:33 AM   #469
Xasman

Quote:
Another shortcut problem with Reaper : the default shortcuts "1" "2" etc. don't work to jump between my markers.

I'm alone again?

Futhermore, it doesn't matter how I setup my keyboard in my OS.
Again, that's all working fine here (REAPER 6.09 and Ubuntu 18.04 x64). I wonder if you somehow may have some conflicting keyboard shortcuts set up?
Xasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:21 AM   #470
GuillaumeD

Quote:
Again, that's all working fine here (REAPER 6.09 and Ubuntu 18.04 x64). I wonder if you somehow may have some conflicting keyboard shortcuts set up?
Again... thanks Xasman!
You're right, it seems like a shortcuts conflict.

But now, I understand: the shortcuts for markers are registered 1, 2, 3 etc. And with my keyboard, there is no key to do that... I changed them by "NumPad 1" "NumPad 2" and then, it has worked. It was so simple.

Sorry, I got confused.

Last edited by GuillaumeD; 04-28-2020 at 07:39 AM. Reason: precisions
Old 04-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #471
GuillaumeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith93 View Post
I tried to reassign it, but no success (with this function / full screen). It toggles (one time) and then it's impossible to come back (in normal screen): forced to close Reaper.

But I did it for my markers shortcuts and it solved my problem!

Some good news at last!

Thanks for your advice,
Old 04-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #472
Jack Winter

Ok, I've unstuck the thread. Not sure what would be the best place to post bugs. Either post in this thread, in a separate post, or if you think it's really a REAPER bug, then in the Bug Reports forum.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #473
lilith93

Not sure if this is a pure Linux bug:

Make midi item, draw notes, split item, copy, glue item.
Result: notes are not on the same level:

Reproduced in (at least) Version 6.09 and 6.10.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #474
JamesPeters

Cross-posting my reply here: I can't reproduce that with 6.10.

Are you running scripts or something?
Old 05-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #475
lilith93

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesPeters View Post
Cross-posting my reply here: I can't reproduce that with 6.10.

Are you running scripts or something?
Only SWS and Reapack. Someone else could reproduce it in another forum with Windows.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:03 AM   #476
JamesPeters

Weird. I even set up my options (show overlapping items in lanes, diamond shaped notes, etc.) the same as in your GIF and did the exact same thing you did (copy the item first, then split the copied item, glue the end portion of the 2nd item, etc.) and I can't get that result in 6.10. I wonder if it's related to the options/preferences or your Reaper install compared to mine.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:00 AM   #477
Soli Deo Gloria

Default Problem while importing configuration from Windows 7

Hmm, I had created a thread for this, but now I see that it´s more adequate to post it here. Up to now in my Linux initiation, everything is working fine in the Ubuntu Studio side. The OS has its considerable learning curve when coming from Windows, but I think it will pay off in the end.

One thing is behaving quite badly, though : while importing my Reaper's Windows configuration, many things work as always, but there are many other aspects of the setup that are reset or work differently (specifically, shortcuts that are assigned to punctuation or symbol keys and their possible combinations with special keys). I use a Spanish International keyboard, by the way...

Some examples :

I used to toggle between Piano Roll and Notation View in the MIDI editor with the ' and ¡ keys. After import, they're assigned to [ and ] .

Some basic things seem to have been reset : the "Record Config" menu in Preferences/Project/Track Send Defaults is set to automatic Monitor Input and a default audio input when it was set to All MIDI Inputs.

"Show Action List" was assigned to the Shift + ' combination. Now, it isn't even assigned to any shortcut.

And so on...

So, the question is... Is this something related to the migration of setting from one OS to the other? Is there any setup somewhere that I'm missing? I imported a Spanish layout, just in case, as shown in this thread :

https://www.reddit.com/r/Reaper/comm...nish_keyboard/

And besides, I changed the LC_NUMERIC thing in the locale to English, as recommended by Jack Winter in the Linux Install thread. Could there be any way to make the config import from Windows work seamlessly in Ubuntu Studio? Is this a bug, or is it expected to happen when migrating from Win?

Any insight will be appreciated...

Thanks in advance!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #478
Glennbo

Don't know if this could have anything to do with it, but on my DAW with Xubuntu, the <alt> key was bound by to OS to do easy windows grabbing or stretching, and it made REAPER's use of <alt> non-functional. I had to go into the settings editor in Xubuntu and assign that modifier key to none, and then REAPER saw the <alt> key properly.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:11 PM   #479
Soli Deo Gloria

Well, yes, that indeed happened, but that specific issue is relatively easy to tackle, as you confirm with the recipe to solve it. In my case, many key bindings and some of the general settings transferred from Win 7 are messed up or reset...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #480
Rivereto Esplorado

Location: Mi ne plu uzas REAPER kaj ne plu aktivas en la forumoj.

Sometimes Reaper cannot see my MIDI keyboard (attached via MIDI cable to a 204HD interface) when running in ALSA mode. I only see lots of "hw:VirMidi" entries. Meanwhile, Ardour. Mixbus and aconnectgui continue to be able to see and use the keyboard via ALSA. This seems like proof that the issue lies squarely with Reaper vs ALSA otherwise the MIDI keyboard should be completely unavailable across the whole system.

This is a bug separate from the one connected to pipewire. I've posted here to avoid this being passed over given the other solved thread.
Rivereto Esplorado is offline   Reply With Quote