Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 07-04-2020, 07:33 AM   #281
terminar
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by brummbear View Post
@terminar: ok, the switch to CMake is done after making some small changes. Was more painful than expected (silly 32/64bit mess on Windows) but I do see the benefit for cross platform maintenance and the cleaner way of dealing with dependencies. Thx for raising the issue!
Thank you very much for accepting the MR and sorry for painful situation. That was my fault. I compiled it on Windows to test it but i haven't tested it with Reaper myself - I'll do better next time!

But regarding now: it was a pleasure to create the new MR for 1.0. I was able to fully work with Visual Studio Code, very "luxury"

Quote:
I guess it's your turn now to build the OSX binaries. What about publishing those also via ReaPack?
Yes but f4b7d introduced a small regression. I added another fix: at PR50.

Regarding ReaPack: I NEED HELP! Can't get into the magic. What should i do? Add it here? But it's not an API or control surface? Or is it a control surface? Do you have a link to the Windows-Entry so i can shamelessly copy it?

Some general questions about the release and the future:
- Do you want to provide a general Win/OSX release at https://github.com/brummbrum/reaKontrol/releases/tag/v<version>? We can *maybe* synchronize the release and create one "release" pack at your central repository the next time? Just an offer. My compiler is yours.
- Personally i like the concept of zero-config. I don't like messages which are nagging me that i have to provide some data first before using something with basic functionality. Therefore a suggestion: If there is no reakontrol.ini in the user preferences folder: why don't we create one with the default settings? Other idea: why don't we just ignore the file if it's not there? Third idea: if there is no file, why don't we just set the default actions without a configuration file? Leads to the same situation - zero config.
- Note to myself/TODO: i have to support you on the manual regarding OSX as previously offered...

The ReaStash entry is updated to reaKontrol (OSX) v1.00
https://stash.reaper.fm/38633/reaper_kontrol.dylib
terminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:17 PM   #282
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminar View Post
- Personally i like the concept of zero-config. I don't like messages which are nagging me that i have to provide some data first before using something with basic functionality. Therefore a suggestion: If there is no reakontrol.ini in the user preferences folder: why don't we create one with the default settings? Other idea: why don't we just ignore the file if it's not there? Third idea: if there is no file, why don't we just set the default actions without a configuration file? Leads to the same situation - zero config.
I went through exactly those ideas too (incl supplying an installer). Creating the ini if not found came in on 2nd place, but in the end I deliberately settled on the current implementation: i.e. "nag" message at startup if installation is not complete and another message on the keyboard's display once the function gets invoked "config file not found". Here is why:
With ReaKontrol v1.0 the philosophy changes a little from "no user interaction necessary" (single file install, behind the scene csurf without any need for extra control surface config) to "user involvement encouraged" (additional file installation which is user editable). I want the user to know if the config file is missing (e.g. could also happen with a portable install when moving stuff around) rather than replace it with a default dummy. Now, admittedly, the message at startup is "rubbing it in" because we still have the warning once you invoke custom actions. However, recognizing that some user already encountered issues with the single file installation I think the switch to a slightly more involved philosophy justifies a message at startup if the installation was not completed successfully. The plugin still behaves gracefully. The same is true if people have no interest or idea how to take advantage of those customized actions & scripts that do not come natively with Reaper. Although part of the ini that comes with the installation these actions do not even appear if people do not have the extensions installed.
In a nutshell: I stand by my decision to create these messages and "gently force" the user to do a proper installation. Most people will not ever encounter the message anyway. However, once the dust has settled we might remove the message at startup and just leave the one when you invoke the function.
This leads me to installation in general: I am a huge fan of ReaPack! It should be the default way to install. It takes care of the whole point of installing all required files properly. It is also the reason why - at least at this stage with the very simple structure we have - I do not see a reason for a dedicated installer.

Quote:
Regarding ReaPack: I NEED HELP!
The easiest (albeit with less automation) is indeed to use the upload tool of the web interface. Since you placed the OSX binaries on stash I can easily add it into ReaPack. Will do this today, no need for you to do anything. As you say, for the future we should figure out a way how to "synchronize" with the least possible effort on both ends... Once @cfillion has merged my updated pull request linking your stash binaries into ReaPack you should test if the installation runs smoothly - especially for the ini file. It works fine on Windows. Oh, and it is a "Control Surface" as of lately (used to be an "API"). Christian just introduced this new category.

Edit: here is the pull request, please test once it is merged - thanks!
https://github.com/ReaTeam/Extensions/pull/6

Last edited by brummbear; 07-04-2020 at 02:35 PM.
brummbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:44 AM   #283
terminar

Quote:
I went through exactly those ideas too (incl supplying an installer).
I do not see a reason for a dedicated installer.
Me neither. Just thought about the default settings but ok, thanks for the really detailed explanation of your decision.

Quote:
if the installation runs smoothly - especially for the ini file. It works fine on Windows. Oh, and it is a "Control Surface" as of lately (used to be an "API"). Christian just introduced this new category.
I tried to install it via ReaPack - seems to work (even my config is overwritten which is OK in this case). I haven't found time to fully test it but the installation via ReaPack itself is working.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #284
hilluck

Thumbs up Keep up the great work

Hi Brummbear
Just wanted to say again how much your diligence and tenacity are appreciated in this plugin for the S88. I've moved to version 1.0 and edited the config file to do a different action on 3 of the buttons and its magic. Big hand claps for you.
hilluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:18 AM   #285
terminar

Default NI bug

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminar
I was able to open a bug ticket at NI regarding that problem.
I am curious what they have to say
Well... After several ping-pong messages with the support of NI, after 3 (around 10 minutes) videos I've made reproducing the problems with the KKMK2 and the MMMK3, several questions if I can connect the devices directly to my Mac without using an USB hub (...) and a last message in which I explained what I think about the current situation (the NI support hadn't tried to reproduce the bug itself until that last message) - I got a first REAL answer. To be fair, the support guy was polite and calm, just not helpful.

The (translated) answer from the support:
"There seems to be a bigger problem. Our QA and developers are already trying to fix it. Unfortunately I can't say what's happening next."

Well, who whould have thought it?!
Old 07-11-2020, 12:21 AM   #286
ilan.rosen@gmail.com

Default Just installed the newest version and it Doesnt work as expected

Hi
I have Komplete MK2 S49 Keyboard
and I installed the DLL

Everything looks fine in the Reaper-MIDI options and yet
when I hit Play/Rec/Stop I hear High notes (when a VST is on)

Please advise
Ilan
ilan.rosen@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:29 PM   #287
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilluck View Post
...I can't even map an action to a midi controller...unless I'm missing something.
Hi hilluck,
Not sure why you run into problems. There are no limitations in regards to mapping actions to the S88, MIDI learn, MIDI link etc. You can do exactly what you would do with any other MIDI controller. And you can do that on top of ReaKontrol, it coexists happily together with all the Reaper standard stuff.

I doubt that you have a defective unit. Maybe you simply forgot to enable control messages for your normal KOMPLETE KONTROL Midi Device in the Reaper options? You would do the latter if you want to have your MIDI CC buttons and knobs on the keyboard to act globally within Reaper, e.g. map an action to one of the top row buttons. All other variations of using MIDI messages from the keyboard to learn/link to Reaper actions, plugin controls etc are possible just like with any other keyboard incl more advanced concepts like using MIDItoReaControlPath.
And the NI software allows you to download templates into the keyboard's firmware to modify the Midi CCs, add names, create keybed zones, colors etc.

To rule out the remote possibility of having a defective unit I would simply log the incoming Midi from the keyboard on a track with ReaControlMidi (stock plugin which has a built in Logger). If you see CCs coming in when operating the keyboard you know everything is fine and you only have to configure Reaper / your project accordingly.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #288
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilan.rosen@gmail.com View Post
Hi
I have Komplete MK2 S49 Keyboard
and I installed the DLL

Everything looks fine in the Reaper-MIDI options and yet
when I hit Play/Rec/Stop I hear High notes (when a VST is on)

Please advise
Ilan
sorry, no idea. Does not seem to be related to ReaKontrol. The plugin is not capable of creating Midi notes or anything that could trigger a VST. You may have some more basic issues with you routing going on
Old 07-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #289
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminar View Post
The (translated) answer from the support:
"There seems to be a bigger problem. Our QA and developers are already trying to fix it. Unfortunately I can't say what's happening next."

Well, who whould have thought it?!
Yeah, the NI guys seem to be swamped with issues. And on top of that I imagine they also receive a lot of "false positives" by folks who did not read the manual... which might be the reason why they tortured you with requests for video evidence. I figure they just chose the current behavior as a short term "solution" which - unfortunately - discourages customers to buy more than one of their modern controllers that offer DAW integration via NIHIA.
Old 07-11-2020, 03:10 PM   #290
Liquid Caravan

Default Switch Tracks Reverts to MIDI Mode

Hi!

First off, thank you so much! I'm so excited to utilize the full potential of my S49 Mk2 with Reaper. I've encountered a nagging behavior that I was hoping you could help with:

When I switch between tracks containing a KompleteKontrol instance, the keyboard reverts to MIDI mode. Also, Plug-in mode is not available (blacked out). Upon closer inspection of the KK GUI, I noticed that the little "49 keybed" image towards the top right is not lit (midi mode.jpg). When I click it, it lights up and my keyboard snaps into plug-in mode with all the premapped goodness (Plug-in Mode.jpg). When I switch away to another track with a KK instance, the keyboard reverts to midi mode again. This also happens when I click the "INSTANCE" button on the keyboard - there are no KK instances shown and it reverts to midi mode.

Win10 x64
Reaper v6.12c ReaKontrol v1.00 S49 MK2
KK 2.3.0 (R177)
NIHIA v1.10.0.166
"KOMPLETE KONTROL - 1" input is enable+control
"KOMPLETE KONTROL - 1" output is enable.
All others are disabled.
Control/OSC/Web is empty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midi mode.jpg (60.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Plug-in Mode.jpg (49.3 KB, 15 views)
Liquid Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:14 PM   #291
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Caravan View Post
Hi!

First off, thank you so much! I'm so excited to utilize the full potential of my S49 Mk2 with Reaper. I've encountered a nagging behavior that I was hoping you could help with:

When I switch between tracks containing a KompleteKontrol instance, the keyboard reverts to MIDI mode. Also, Plug-in mode is not available (blacked out). Upon closer inspection of the KK GUI, I noticed that the little "49 keybed" image towards the top right is not lit (midi mode.jpg). When I click it, it lights up and my keyboard snaps into plug-in mode with all the premapped goodness (Plug-in Mode.jpg). When I switch away to another track with a KK instance, the keyboard reverts to midi mode again. This also happens when I click the "INSTANCE" button on the keyboard - there are no KK instances shown and it reverts to midi mode.

Win10 x64
Reaper v6.12c ReaKontrol v1.00 S49 MK2
KK 2.3.0 (R177)
NIHIA v1.10.0.166
"KOMPLETE KONTROL - 1" input is enable+control
"KOMPLETE KONTROL - 1" output is enable.
All others are disabled.
Control/OSC/Web is empty
Hmmm, obviously the instance focus does not work in your setup. Here are some potential reasons why instance focus does not work:

1) Have you renamed (the fx instance of) the KK VSTi? It should start with "VSTi: Komplete Kontrol"! After that you can rename it to whatever you want but it must start with that string. If it is changed to something different, it won't be recognized.

2) Are you firewalling your plugin instances? Options > Plug-Ins > Compatibilty: as per the manual do not run KK VSTi "In dedicated process per plugin"*

* If you are not sure about the latter please create a new project with more than 1 track with each holding the KK VSTi plugin and then check the very first fx parameter (click on Track Envelopes/Automation to make them visible): It should be "NIKB00" on the first KK instance, "NIKB01" on the next KK instance etc.

My guess is it is reason #1 above, maybe?
Old 07-12-2020, 07:17 AM   #292
Liquid Caravan

Quote:
1) Have you renamed (the fx instance of) the KK VSTi? It should start with "VSTi: Komplete Kontrol"!
I have not renamed my FX instance of the KK VSTi... but I did notice that it shows up as "VST: Komplete Kontrol", instead of VSTi. I do not have a VSTi version available to select.

Quote:
2) Are you firewalling your plugin instances? Options > Plug-Ins > Compatibilty: as per the manual do not run KK VSTi "In dedicated process per plugin"
No, it is currently set to "Automatic Bridging (when required)". Also confirmed NIKB00 and NIKB01 in two tracks of a fresh project.

Thanks for the reply and any additional ideas you might have!
Old 07-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #293
brummbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Caravan View Post
I have not renamed my FX instance of the KK VSTi... but I did notice that it shows up as "VST: Komplete Kontrol", instead of VSTi. I do not have a VSTi version available to select.
Interesting! That means that for some reason Reaper did not recognize KK as an instrument when scanning your plugin library. To my best knowledge there is no VST version of KK, it should report itself as a VSTi to the host.

Luckily though, Reaper is the most flexible DAW on earth. Try this: Go into your Fx browser (e.g. press Add to bring up all plugins) and select KK VST. Now press F2 (or right click rename) and check the box "Categorize as instrument". Now everything hopefully works and Reaper will remember to treat KK as a VSTi. Let me know how it goes...
Old 07-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #294
Liquid Caravan

Smile KK must be "VSTi", not "VST"

It worked!!! Now the instance focus works like a charm with my S49!!!

To recap: For some reason Reaper was listing Komplete Kontrol as a VST plugin instead of a VSTi plugin. To correct this, create track and open the plugin list. Select "VST: Komplete Kontrol", press F2, select "Catagorize as Instrument", and now it shows as a VSTi.

Also to recap: @Brummbear is a wizard. There are bad wizards out there, but @Brummbear is a good one. Top tier as far as good wizards go.

Thank you so much!
Old 07-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #295
airon

Good to know. Thank you Brummbear.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #296
hilluck

Thumbs up Thank you!

Quote:
Hi hilluck,
Not sure why you run into problems. There are no limitations in regards to mapping actions to the S88, MIDI learn, MIDI link etc. You can do exactly what you would do with any other MIDI controller. And you can do that on top of ReaKontrol, it coexists happily together with all the Reaper standard stuff.

I doubt that you have a defective unit. Maybe you simply forgot to enable control messages for your normal KOMPLETE KONTROL Midi Device in the Reaper options? You would do the latter if you want to have your MIDI CC buttons and knobs on the keyboard to act globally within Reaper, e.g. map an action to one of the top row buttons. All other variations of using MIDI messages from the keyboard to learn/link to Reaper actions, plugin controls etc are possible just like with any other keyboard incl more advanced concepts like using MIDItoReaControlPath.
And the NI software allows you to download templates into the keyboard's firmware to modify the Midi CCs, add names, create keybed zones, colors etc.

To rule out the remote possibility of having a defective unit I would simply log the incoming Midi from the keyboard on a track with ReaControlMidi (stock plugin which has a built in Logger). If you see CCs coming in when operating the keyboard you know everything is fine and you only have to configure Reaper / your project accordingly.
That's all it was - hadn't configured the MIDI device to enable CCs.
hilluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #297
DrFrankencopter

Default Not a question about ReaKontrol, but Komplete Kontrol itself

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I haven't foudn the right forum to ask this question. Probably I should register at NI's forum...but figured I'd give a shot here since obviously KK users are visiting this thread.

I'm currently working on setting up for writing/jamming/rehearsal sessions. I've got a NI S-61 Mk1 keyboard that I have set up running Komplete Kontrol in standalone mode. I also have an iPad mounted over the S-61 running Duet display so I can see the plugin interface (and tweak parameters either from the controller, or the ipad). I then run the output back through Reaper so I can record it just like as if it were a synth plugged into a hardware input. I will see if I can set it up so the MIDI also gets saved by Reaper, but I'm not sure if this will be possible. The whole point is to allow for the sounds to be tweaked at the S-61, and then saved as presets in Komplete Kontrol so they can be easily recalled again.

And here's where the problem is...

It's easy enough in Komplete Kontrol to save a preset for an individual instrument...it's just "File | Save As". But if you have a couple instruments stacked on one another, or have an instrument plus an effect plugin (e.g. Monark going into Replika), I haven't found any way to save the chain into a preset. Does anybody know how to do this?

What I'm trying to achieve is to have a few basic "inspiring sounds" preset chains available prior getting the band together...I want to eliminate menu diving to the best extent possible, and focus on the music making.

Thx!