Old 06-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #121
siniarch
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Here View Post
On my iPhone the "button" feels like a button. It has tactile feedback that is adjustable and can be disabled.

Smooth knob rotation on things like eq's.
Detent "feel" at a Unity or 0 mark would also be nice.
All of course user selected for low, med, hard, off, feel on the tactile feedback.
I'll be honest Not_Here. I read this and was thinking "oh boy, this guy wants me to produce something to the standards of a multi Billion dollar company. Man, that's a tough ask. hahahah. And to some degree it still fells that way. hahah. But I like it. Bring it boys. Ask away, and if I can I will.

The Detent feel at unity I haven't found on an "encoder". On a knob, I know you can get it, but on an endless encoder I have not seen. But if you find one, I'd be willing to take a look.

The tactile feed back initially made me think, man, this is something Apple can do but man, they have a boat load of money to develop it. And then started thinking about my wireless lens focus unit and it does have some sort of vibration feedback when I turn the knob and it reaches the focus mark. Now, this is a handheld device, so vibrating in your hand is one thing. Vibrating a larger unit on a desk might not be desirable. But I will look into it as far as vibrating the encoder knob. I doubt I will be able to do this and even if I could, costs may be a barrier that cannot be crossed, but it doesn't hurt to check.
siniarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:20 PM   #122
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by verychrisb View Post
Wow this project indeed looks promising! Wanted to build something similar earlier this year but it never left conception phase...

@siniarch In case you are still looking for an engineer, I'd love to help with software and circuitry/PCB design!
Verychrisb,
Hey man, where were you a couple of weeks ago. hahaha. No worries. So I found a guy to work on this, but I may still need some help. If you PM me your number I'd love to talk.
Thanks.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #123
siniarch

Ok guys. Making some progress.

This is what we have so far.

Once I added 1 button, it just made sense to add 8 as the space was being taken up anyway.

There are 18 LED lights around the encoder. The bottom 3 are being displayed together. I will need to see how to make sure they look like one. Might have to make some plastic insert or something.

Next. I'll need some help with the Display Screen and what can be displayed. Meaning, graphics, text, bars, etc. I'll show what I have in mind and see if people can chime in and comment on other ideas. And hopefully Geoff can guide me into seeing how these graphs can communicate with CSI
Old 06-24-2020, 01:27 AM   #124
Pompeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniarch View Post

Once I added 1 button, it just made sense to add 8 as the space was being taken up anyway.

There are 18 LED lights around the encoder. The bottom 3 are being displayed together. I will need to see how to make sure they look like one. Might have to make some plastic insert or something.

Next. I'll need some help with the Display Screen and what can be displayed. Meaning, graphics, text, bars, etc. I'll show what I have in mind and see if people can chime in and comment on other ideas. And hopefully Geoff can guide me into seeing how these graphs can communicate with CSI
Excellent. I think the additional buttons will be super useful because lots of plugins have several buttons as well as rotary knobs/faders. I was looking through my list of regularly used plugins and I can see that most would work really well with this layout.
Pompeysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:45 AM   #125
Geoff Waddington

Quote:

As Wexler said when Tom Dowd went down to Memphis to fix a tape machine and came back with "Walkin the Dog" -- IT'S A HIT -- PUT IT OUT

Love it - love the size, spacing, everything, love the buttons -- just right !

One thing I thought of, don't forget to include mount points on the underside (preferably machine threaded holes for high end solution, cheap plastic posts at the other end) so that this unit can be mounted to something solid -- I put my a Console 1 in a 60 degree angle frame with a place for a 15 pound weight and the difference in feel is amazing -- feels SO solid !!

How thin can you get it ?
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:02 AM   #126
Funkybot

Quote:

Love it!
Funkybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:37 AM   #127
Pompeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
As Wexler said when Tom Dowd went down to Memphis to fix a tape machine and came back with "Walkin the Dog" -- IT'S A HIT -- PUT IT OUT

Love it - love the size, spacing, everything, love the buttons -- just right !

One thing I thought of, don't forget to include mount points on the underside (preferably machine threaded holes for high end solution, cheap plastic posts at the other end) so that this unit can be mounted to something solid -- I put my a Console 1 in a 60 degree angle frame with a place for a 15 pound weight and the difference in feel is amazing -- feels SO solid !!

How thin can you get it ?
Just thinking about it, what are you planning for the profile. Maybe it should be thicker at the rear than at the front so that it is a sloping surface. I think it would be easier to read the rear scribble strps.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:41 AM   #128
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeysie View Post
Just thinking about it, what are you planning for the profile. Maybe it should be thicker at the rear than at the front so that it is a sloping surface. I think it would be easier to read the rear scribble strps.
Depending on where I'd put it, some kind of kickstand/feet wouldn't be terrible for my particular setup. Just to angle it up slightly towards me. If that were to end up on my sliding keyboard drawer, then I'd keep it flat, but it it ends up below my monitor shelves, I'd want to angle it towards me. Could always rig something up myself, but maybe little fold out feet wouldn't be a terrible idea. This way you could keep it flat if needed, or add a bit of an angle as needed as well.
Old 06-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #129
Geoff Waddington

Yeah, I say in this era of tiny form factors make it as thin and flat as possible and provide mount points on the underside so that users can do whatever they want -- maybe supply one or two brackets -- something like that.

The key in my view is that in 2020 you want to make everything as small and portable as possible.

I could put one of these units, a couple of Artist Mixes, a Console1, and a Novation Launchpad mini mk3 in a backpack and easily haul around the equivalent of a large format console

As thin as possible but no thinner
Old 06-24-2020, 12:16 PM   #130
Pompeysie

Quote:
Yeah, I say in this era of tiny form factors make it as thin and flat as possible and provide mount points on the underside so that users can do whatever they want -- maybe supply one or two brackets -- something like that.

The key in my view is that in 2020 you want to make everything as small and portable as possible.

I could put one of these units, a couple of Artist Mixes, a Console1, and a Novation Launchpad mini mk3 in a backpack and easily haul around the equivalent of a large format console

As thin as possible but no thinner
Yeh, good point.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #131
siniarch

This may be a question for Geoff.
I'm in the process of figuring out what can be displayed on the OLEDs. The guy working on the PCB board needs to know what kind of screens will be displayed.

Of course, I can tell him, 3 rows of text and call it a day, but I'm thinking it would be awesome to also have some bars, circles showing levels (similar to the LED ring light, though it would be redundant) But I could picture having graphics of ON/OFF switches, or ON/OFF buttons, or other graphics found on plugin GUIs. One thing I wanted to know was how to communicate these graphics with CSI? and as an example. Some plugins show Gain Reduction levels on their GUIs, would there be a way to show that on the controller OLED through CSI?

So many questions.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #132
Funkybot

Geoff's certainly the expert and I'm definitely not, but I assume doing graphical things on the display are where software programming really comes into play. For instance, let's say you want to have metering in the OLED's, well then what protocol are using? MCU? How do you get the MCU metering to translate to the displays? Who is going to write that software? How much more work is that than just having name and parameter entry with standard MCU displays? Maybe not as slick, but perhaps more easily attainable.

EuCon does the types of things with the displays that you're looking to do, but Avid doesn't allow anyone else to make EuCon surfaces so that protocol is out.

If MCU displays are open enough that you don't have to pay to license it, and they can at least show parameter name and values relatively easily, then you'd already be way ahead of the game in terms of creating a surface that worked with CSI and didn't require you to write a separate software editor to create templates (then have to worry about storing templates on your surface). Otherwise, Sysex is probably the way to go. MIDI 2.0 seems like it could eventually solve for most of these problems, but until it's supported more widely, it's a no-go. But in a few years, two way communication with displays being updated with parameter names/values may be standard using MIDI 2.0.

I guess what I'm saying is: from my perspective, unless you've got access to a great software programmer who can devote enough time to build you something comprehensive when it comes to the displays, I think you should focus on trying to keep the box as simple/dumb as possible. Anything fancier with the displays than being able to display name/text would be a nice to have, not a must-have. And I mean that to be encouraging not deflating.

But I'm taking as a non-programmer (i.e. out of my behind). Hopefully Geoff gets a chance to pop in and speak from actual experience and offer some actual guidance.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #133
siniarch

Hi Funkybot,

I hear what you are saying. The guy working with me is designing the PCB board and basically I've just told him that every encoder needs to output a midi note code for turning (with acceleration. Meaning if its turned faster, a different code comes out) and a different midi note when pushed. As for the display, I could just tell him to have 3 rows of text and call it a day. Maybe have a way to access whether the text is Left, Right, or Center aligned. And of course color controlled.
And maybe we will start with this as a basic setup. But i think we are squandering the potential of the OLEDs. For starters, there should be a way to divide the text into more than just 3 rows. So let's say 3 rows and 2 columns. So when you turn the encoder you could choose from up to 6 options. When you press down, you select the options.
Second, i think it would be awesome to have bars at the bottom with 2 rows of text. To display something you are affecting such as gain reduction.
I'd also like to have bars on either the right or left as a different screen. And I think it would be great if we also had a set of graphics that could be called through CSI. So for example when you are napping a parameter from a plugin and that parameter is a flip on/off switch. Then the OLED would display a graphical representation of that switch. So even without even reading text, you know you are controlling a knob, or a switch or a button, etc.

This might be something that this specific controller has to handle and perhaps can work with CSI as it currently stands. Or may need a few csi tweaks. This is what I dont know. I may need to do this with OSC. But I'm not familiar with that. But may need to do simple text this round and program with OSC in the future to have more functionality.

In any case, the PCB board Designer is requesting what kind of info will be display done can select the proper component that can handle displaying that. So, now is the time to shoot for the moon and get the most capable components. If it cant be programmed on version 1, doesnt mean that the bios cant be flashed later and more functionality added.

If anyone has any input, please chime in. Thanks.

Last edited by siniarch; 06-27-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #134
siniarch

So, these are screens I have in mind so far, but still missing some. (such as button, flip switch, etc) I think it would be great if the image knob would match the FX knob shape. At least a little bit. I think when the parameters get mapped to the Midi Controller, it would make it more intuitive to just know what is what.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #135
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hi Funkybot,

I hear what you are saying. The guy working with me is designing the PCB board and basically I've just told him that every encoder needs to output a midi note code for turning (with acceleration. Meaning if its turned faster, a different code comes out) and a different midi note when pushed. As for the display, I could just tell him to have 3 rows of text and call it a day. Maybe have a way to access whether the text is Left, Right, or Center aligned. And of course color controlled.
And maybe we will start with this as a basic setup. But i think we are squandering the potential of the OLEDs. For starters, there should be a way to divide the text into more than just 3 rows. So let's say 3 rows and 2 columns. So when you turn the encoder you could choose from up to 6 options. When you press down, you select the options.
Second, i think it would be awesome to have bars at the bottom with 2 rows of text. To display something you are affecting such as gain reduction.
I'd also like to have bars on either the right or left as a different screen. And I think it would be great if we also had a set of graphics that could be called through CSI. So for example when you are napping a parameter from a plugin and that parameter is a flip on/off switch. Then the OLED would display a graphical representation of that switch. So even without even reading text, you know you are controlling a knob, or a switch or a button, etc.

This might be something that this specific controller has to handle and perhaps can work with CSI as it currently stands. Or may need a few csi tweaks. This is what I dont know. I may need to do this with OSC. But I'm not familiar with that. But may need to do simple text this round and program with OSC in the future to have more functionality.

In any case, the PCB board Designer is requesting what kind of info will be display done can select the proper component that can handle displaying that. So, now is the time to shoot for the moon and get the most capable components. If it cant be programmed on version 1, doesnt mean that the bios cant be flashed later and more functionality added.

If anyone has any input, please chime in. Thanks.
How many pixels do we have to play with.

As a fallback, we will need dot addressable RGB, this will let us do anything -- inefficiently

So, we will need software/firmware with fonts, row placements, all of that good stuff, so that we can use a combination of MCU (don't think you need to license it, but could be wrong), SysEx, and perhaps OSC, although judging by the conversation thus far, it seems the hardware firmware end is easier with Midi / SysEx.

Also nice to have the ability to shade areas for gradients etc., if we have the pixel count.

Take look at the Avid S6 for some ideas -- they do some pretty ergonomic colour coding.

Not sure I'm digging' the round graphics -- chews up an awful lot of space -- usually in displays various style thermometer bars are best -- see Avid Artist Mix for a good implementation.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:44 PM   #136
BenK-msx

Looks pretty good.
Not expecting to change minds - but consider a large endless rotary with LEDs.

Had alot of controllers of different types and a big DJ style jog that assigns to many things (lasted touched fx for example) is my most used controller element, can use eyeless and by feel with fine accuracy you don't get on a Little twiddly.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #137
siniarch

Quote:
How many pixels do we have to play with.

As a fallback, we will need dot addressable RGB, this will let us do anything -- inefficiently

So, we will need software/firmware with fonts, row placements, all of that good stuff, so that we can use a combination of MCU (don't think you need to license it, but could be wrong), SysEx, and perhaps OSC, although judging by the conversation thus far, it seems the hardware firmware end is easier with Midi / SysEx.

Also nice to have the ability to shade areas for gradients etc., if we have the pixel count.

Take look at the Avid S6 for some ideas -- they do some pretty ergonomic colour coding.

Not sure I'm digging' the round graphics -- chews up an awful lot of space -- usually in displays various style thermometer bars are best -- see Avid Artist Mix for a good implementation.
The current displays are 96x64. If I go with LCD I have found a slightly larger screen which is also proportionally wider. I thing its 128x84 but again, I was thinking of sticking with OLED because most people prefer that technology.

We could do the every pixel addressable I'm sure. I'll ask if we can have that as a mode. As you said, it would not be efficient.

I would like to in the future to switch everything to OSC but unfortunately the guy working for me does not know that. And being it's our first time working together I didnt want to push it this time. I'm hoping it can be switched via firmware in the future or by making minor changes on the boards. So thinking about that, I may introduce a network rj45 connection as well. But that will be on the main controller board. We are not there yet.

I did see some videos on the S6 and they seem to have the round dial on a lot of their screens. We almost dont need it because our ring of LED will show that. I'll see how else they use their screens to get ideas.

I understand that the round graphics take up a lot of room, but I'm thinking for some FX there might be few parameters. And since each encoder is only going to show one parameter at a time, why not make the graphics of the knob match the graphics of the FX GUI?

The idea of thermometer bars is certainly something that I want. These screens are just the beginning to give my designer an idea of what will need to be displayed, but is not by far the only ones I'm thinking.

In fact, I own an Antelope Audio ORION Studio interface which has emulation of about 80 hardware units. What's nice about the is that they have done a great job of recreating the faceplates graphically of those hardware classics. I'm thinking of building a library of simplified versions of those graphics for the displays. Again, the idea is that if you are familiar with those FX or analogue gear, you already know what the knobs are supposed to look like and their location on the unit. If this midi controller maps the same functions in relative same location and with similar graphical images then people would intuitively know how to control their FXs.

Just my thought so far.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #138
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Looks pretty good.

Had alot of controllers of different types and a big DJ style jog that assigns to many things (lasted touched fx for example) is my most used controller element, can use eyeless and by feel with fine accuracy you don't get on a Little twiddly.
I like the idea. Unfortunately for this unit it will disrupt the design completely. As I've said before, if this becomes successful, I am planning on doing a series of these controllers where people could get individual ones or build a larger interface by combining them.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #139
DrFrankencopter

I think it it was me, I'd have a single button on top of each display, and an encoder below. Put each of these on a single PCB, and use some kind of buss (ribbon cable?) to get power and signal to each unit. Let the display dictate what the function the encoder and the button is.

Then, if you could get each encoder+switch+display on a separate board, you then work out a controller, and power supply...and now you have DIY kits that can be made to whatever form factor folks want, like Lego.

PS: If you like the round indicators for parameter position, maybe consider adding some LED's around the encoder to give an idea of position. I think 10 would be more than enough.

Last edited by DrFrankencopter; 06-27-2020 at 04:15 PM.
DrFrankencopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #140
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter View Post
I think it it was me, I'd have a single button on top of each display, and an encoder below. Put each of these on a single PCB, and use some kind of buss (ribbon cable?) to get power and signal to each unit. Let the display dictate what the function the encoder and the button is.

Then, if you could get each encoder+switch+display on a separate board, you then work out a controller, and power supply...and now you have DIY kits that can be made to whatever form factor folks want, like Lego.

PS: If you like the round indicators for parameter position, maybe consider adding some LED's around the encoder to give an idea of position. I think 10 would be more than enough.
Thanks for the input. The encoders are also a push button so not sure having one extra button is needed. Plus adding the extra space for a button above each encoder would make the unit too bulky.
As for the LED rings I do have those planned. There will be 18 lights, but the bottom 3 will be joined to be used as an indicator of some sort. So 15 lights otherwise. One at the 12 o'clock position and 7 on each side.
Old 06-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #141
leighhunt

Quote:
Hi Funkybot,

I hear what you are saying. The guy working with me is designing the PCB board and basically I've just told him that every encoder needs to output a midi note code for turning (with acceleration. Meaning if its turned faster, a different code comes out) and a different midi note when pushed.
Hi there.
First of all, all the best for your project.
Just a quick thought, existing controllers tend to use midi cc for the encoders, with a couple of different implementations for acceleration. Then keep midi notes for push buttons.
I've pondered and procrastinated over midi controllers for decades... including midibox.org ideas.
In the end I went for 3 x midi fighter twisters sitting underneath a touchscreen. I'm right in the middle of programming it all up at the moment, but I'll be sure to send you a link when I have a vid of it ready. I'd like it to be a sharable project, but at the moment I'm programming it in a vst2 (which I think you needed to obtain permission some time ago to continue developing plugins to sell or share), so I think this is not possible. As to why I went the vst2 route instead of a control surface extension?...... I already had the knowledge of implementing the reaper api, multiple osc streams, multiple midi ports, simple json file I/o, all in a vst2 plugin, and I was a bit in fear of the time it would take to translate that all into a control surface extension. I do worry for thread safety with some of the things I am doing, but nothing has proven to be too much of a hurdle so far.

Another note on the displays above the encoders. I would invest a goodly amount of attention to the positioning of them related to where your hand how you turn knobs.
I've spent many years operating digital desks and the ergonomics are so important.
A few examples -
Avid S6L looks amazing when you first see all those displays, but I found myself hardly relating to them and altogether rather distracting after a while.
Soundcraft Vi series have a good solution, encoders laid over the display, and a good angle too for operation.
Yamaha CL series style still works best for me. A laid out bank of slim encoders to the left of a touchscreen with the same layout.
I'm sure others have completely different experiences with these desks... therein lies food for thought, we are all different!
Kind regards,
Leigh
leighhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:47 PM   #142
siniarch

Thanks for the Post. Yes, actually, that's what we are doing. CC for encoders and Midi notes for the buttons.

I'd love to see what you came up with once you get the 3 midi fighter twisters together with that screen.

I see what you mean about the screens being above the encoders. Maybe I may need to re-arrange my screens to below the encoders so the hand doesn't cover the screen. Thank you so much for your input, and do keep in touch.

Seems like I can learn a lot from your project.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:58 AM   #143
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Thanks for the Post. Yes, actually, that's what we are doing. CC for encoders and Midi notes for the buttons.

I'd love to see what you came up with once you get the 3 midi fighter twisters together with that screen.

I see what you mean about the screens being above the encoders. Maybe I may need to re-arrange my screens to below the encoders so the hand doesn't cover the screen. Thank you so much for your input, and do keep in touch.

Seems like I can learn a lot from your project.
I think screens work below the encoders on a console size thing like the CL, but with this form factor I say the displays should be above.

Just my 2c
Old 06-30-2020, 04:11 AM   #144
leighhunt

Quote:
I think screens work below the encoders on a console size thing like the CL, but with this form factor I say the displays should be above.

Just my 2c
I'd agree that going for above would be most sensible, with care on the positioning and angle relative to the encoder.
leighhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #145
siniarch

Quote:

Just my 2c
For this first unit, I might have 2 cases built. One with the screens above and one with them below and see which one works best in practice.

Here are some of the screens I've had my guy make so far. We will stop with these for now, but I plan on doing more in the future. But this is a good start so far. Also, these are not final, so I'll be tweaking them slightly.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:09 PM   #146
Travesty

Looks good.

Do we know if the oleds can stay on permanently? If not, I would prefer lcd. It would be really annoying if every time you glanced over they were off, and you had to move a knob to see the display.
The NDLR has an oled display from the looks of it, and that never turns off, so maybe it's not always an issue.

I'd say screens above the dials. Push has them below and they get obscured by your hands, so you end up doing a weird sideways claw action.

Last edited by Travesty; 07-02-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #147
Travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post
Looks pretty good.

I tried a surface dial for this but it was too annoying.
I would be in favour of this, Could also be useful as a jog wheel. I've still not found a controller I like which also has a jog wheel.

Would also be useful for things like preset browsing.

I do understand that it disrupts the symmetry though. Maybe on another design

Last edited by Travesty; 07-02-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #148
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
Looks good.

Do we know if the oleds can stay on permanently? If not, I would prefer lcd. It would be really annoying if every time you glanced over they were off, and you had to move a knob to see the display.
The NDLR has an oled display from the looks of it, and that never turns off, so maybe it's not always an issue.

I'd say screens above the dials. Push has them below and they get obscured by your hands, so you end up doing a weird sideways claw action.
I think the idea of the OLEDs being turned off is not a restriction of the screens. Rather it is by design to allow the screens to not burn in as quickly.
I'm contemplating having some sort of screen saver after say 20 mins and maybe turn off after 1hr. Or something.

As far as the ring of LED lights, I am still planning on that.
Old 07-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #149
Funkybot

How would the screens come back on though? I don't think you'd want to have to move a parameter that's assigned to something to turn a screen on. Maybe a 'wake up' button or button combo that manages to wake up the screen up without the fear of messing up an existing setting.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #150
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
How would the screens come back on though? I don't think you'd want to have to move a parameter that's assigned to something to turn a screen on. Maybe a 'wake up' button or button combo that manages to wake up the screen up without the fear of messing up an existing setting.
The encoders will be touch sensitive. So we can make it come back if any of the encoders are touched.
Old 07-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #151
Funkybot

I think you mentioned the earlier and I just forgot. The whole touch sensitive Encoder discussion is coming back to me now. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2020, 09:40 PM   #152
siniarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I think you mentioned the earlier and I just forgot. The whole touch sensitive Encoder discussion is coming back to me now. Thanks!
Yeah, no worries. I was even thinking of having a way to just pop out the screens when they get burned in, and pushing them back in. Sort of like a Compact Flash card. But not sure this will be a good idea. It was something that crossed my mind though.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:14 PM   #153
Pompeysie

Quote:
For this first unit, I might have 2 cases built. One with the screens above and one with them below and see which one works best in practice.

Here are some of the screens I've had my guy make so far. We will stop with these for now, but I plan on doing more in the future. But this is a good start so far. Also, these are not final, so I'll be tweaking them slightly.

I’m not a big fan of the circular wagon wheel indicators - a simple bar would be better. I’d also simplify the one with the bar that currently looks like a rail track.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:36 AM   #154
siniarch

Quote:
I’m not a big fan of the circular wagon wheel indicators - a simple bar would be better. I’d also simplify the one with the bar that currently looks like a rail track.
Thanks for the input
Old 07-03-2020, 04:53 AM   #155
Geoff Waddington

Quote:

I agree thermometers are better, you can use them for value indicators, meters, all sorts of stuff

Don't forget you have RGB so when you use them as meters, they can change colour throughout the range, when used as value indicators they can have a colour to indicate context, etc.

Here are some horizontal examples:

The first one proceeds from the left and is typically used for:
Value indication -- e.g. Send level
Meter

The second one proceeds from the right and is typically used for:
Value indication -- e.g. Threshold
Gain reduction meter

The third one proceeds from the centre outward and is typically used for:
Value indication -- e.g. Stereo Width, Q
Meter -- e.g. correlation meter

The fourth one is a simple line and is typically used for:
Value indication -- e.g. Pan

The fifth one proceeds from the centre to the left or right:
Value indication -- e.g. Boost/Cut
Attached Images
File Type: png Thermometers.png (1.9 KB, 536 views)
Old 07-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #156
siniarch

Quote:
I agree thermometers are better, you can use them for value indicators, meters, all sorts of stuff

Don't forget you have RGB so when you use them as meters, they can change colour throughout the range, when used as value indicators they can have a colour to indicate context, etc.

Here are some horizontal examples:

The first one proceeds from the left and is typically used for:
Value indication -- e.g. Send level
Meter

The second one proceeds from the right and is typically used for:
Value indication -- e.g. Threshold
Gain reduction meter

The third one proceeds from the centre outward and is typically used for:
Value indication -- e.g. Stereo Width, Q
Meter -- e.g. correlation meter

The fourth one is a simple line and is typically used for:
Value indication -- e.g. Pan

The fifth one proceeds from the centre to the left or right:
Value indication -- e.g. Boost/Cut
Thank you Geoff. I'll certainly include these.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:54 AM   #157
Pompeysie

Default Update

How are things progressing?

S
Old 07-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #158
siniarch

Quote:
How are things progressing?

S
Hi Pompeysie,
Thanks for asking. Making progress. My PCB board designer finished the Encoder/OLED module design today.

He's moving on to the Button board and the main CPU board next. I found a case manufacturer that I'm going to try and I even have a friend that has a laser cutter to cut out some foam that needs to go inside the unit.

I received the entire catalog of knobs from a company to have a sample of every knob they make. So, I'll be selecting a knob shortly.

Also, received some Buttons with color lights for samples. I can't seem to find a full color RGB button as of yet. I found some that do up to 7 colors, but I'd like to have it be full color.

I also don't know if I can do rubber buttons similar to my QCon G2 because it might require custom molding. I might have to go with similar hard plastic buttons as the QCon Pro X unit.

Here's a 3D rendering of the Encoder/Oled Module.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:15 AM   #159
Geoff Waddington

Quote:
Hi Pompeysie,
Thanks for asking. Making progress. My PCB board designer finished the Encoder/OLED module design today.

He's moving on to the Button board and the main CPU board next. I found a case manufacturer that I'm going to try and I even have a friend that has a laser cutter to cut out some foam that needs to go inside the unit.

I received the entire catalog of knobs from a company to have a sample of every knob they make. So, I'll be selecting a knob shortly.

Also, received some Buttons with color lights for samples. I can't seem to find a full color RGB button as of yet. I found some that do up to 7 colors, but I'd like to have it be full color.

I also don't know if I can do rubber buttons similar to my QCon G2 because it might require custom molding. I might have to go with similar hard plastic buttons as the QCon Pro X unit.

Lookin' good !!
Old 07-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #160
Pompeysie

Quote:
Hi Pompeysie,

Awesome. Do keep posting updates when you can.