Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 07-03-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v6.12+dev0703 - July 3 2020

v6.12+dev0703 - July 3 2020
+ Media explorer: fast metadata reading for .mid files
+ Media explorer: support marking media files as favorites
+ Mixer: improve cursor feedback when drag/dropping FX inserts
+ Mixer: remove old separate FX parameter section (clarified by editor)
+ Mixer: add option to show TCP FX parameters with the FX inserts (clarified by editor)
+ RS5k: update UI/channel count/voices when setting samples via ReaScript [t=239147]
+ ReaScript: fix envelope undo issues with SetTrackStateChunk [t=238960]
# Area selection: fix potential rounding issue when copying [p=2313059]
# Area selection: modify area selections when changing tempo and timebase is beats
# Area selection: preserve fades if possible when copying media items
# Media explorer: ensure databases and filesystem folder displays are kept in sync when editing metadata
# Media explorer: fix starting MIDI preview with transpose applied
# Media explorer: refresh display after changing option to display leading paths in databases
# TCP FXparm: improve context menus
# TCPfx: support drag/drop from list
# theme: fix huge fxparm sizing on win32/linux

This thread is for pre-release discussion. Please post other requests in the Feature Requests forum.

Full changelog / Latest pre-releases

Last edited by Justin; 07-03-2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: mixer changelog clarifications
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #2
Jae.Thomas

could there be a way to show the order of the effects a bit more?
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
dsyrock

Bug: move to recycle bin still can not delete the file
dsyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #4
dsyrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
+ ReaScript: fix envelope undo issues with SetTrackStateChunk [t=238960]
Another issue about SetTrackStateChunk. Recently I did a crazy test:https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=239157

I make a huge chunk(over 2G) and use it with SetTrackStateChunk. It seems that there is a limitation of the chunk's size, about 1.5G. When the chunk is below 1.5G, it ends up normally. But if it is over 1.5G, SetTrackStateChunk will trim part of the chunk, then I got an incomplete result. Because the chunk contains millions of items' chunk, and I know the exact number that I can easily find out whether the result is complete.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:42 PM   #5
cool

It looks cool! I quickly tested, there is everything, as in the MCP: deleting, copying to another track, re-ordering, adding the effect ... Amazing!

One detail: earlier, by left-clicking on a MCP FXList, I immediately opened the menu for adding effects with a list of effects. Right-clicking opened the context menu.
Now, the context menu opens anyway, and to add an effect I have to do one click more. Perhaps I missed something and now it can be changed in the options?

Just a screenshot to get attention

-
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
One detail: earlier, by left-clicking on a MCP FXList, I immediately opened the menu for adding effects with a list of effects. Right-clicking opened the context menu.
Ah thanks restoring that!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:59 PM   #7
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyrock View Post
Bug: move to recycle bin still can not delete the file
What OS?
Old 07-03-2020, 08:05 PM   #8
dsyrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
What OS?
Both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyrock View Post
Both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Ah thanks, fixing -- I assume the files in question have non-ASCII characters in them!
Old 07-03-2020, 08:23 PM   #10
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
could there be a way to show the order of the effects a bit more?
I think there's going to be some more improvement on the TCPFX ordering (and TCP/MCP lists in general)
Old 07-03-2020, 08:25 PM   #11
Jae.Thomas

well, it's very cool thus far!
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #12
Joe90

+ Mixer: add option to show TCP FX parameters with the FX inserts (clarified by editor)

How do we disable this please? I prefer the FX parameters in the mixer to be boxed into their own section.

As far as I can tell there is no way with this new method to show/hide the FX parameters in the mixer for one track conveniently? Previously this could be done by just grabbing the handles and hiding the FX parameter section for that one track.
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:28 PM   #13
aleksey.d

Bugs or no?)
1) When draggin file from Media Explorer preview volume doesn't apply to media. It works only if insert via double click on file.
2) In theme tweaker color of Mixer FX text no longer applies to Mixer FX text. Color of Mixer FX knob text do this instead.
aleksey.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:50 AM   #14
sonicowl

# Media explorer: ensure databases and filesystem folder displays are kept in sync when editing metadata

With new improvements to Media explorer, could you make a way to scan all databases for new files at once? Now we have to rightclick each database one by one, hit "Scan Update for New Files", wait till it finished, move to next database.... And then do the same again for "Remove missing files from database". It is unnecessarily tedious...

It would be really helpful if we could multiselect/tick desired databases, then hit "UPDATE SELECTED DATABASES", and that would automatically go through all selected databases one by one, scan each for new files, and remove missing files.
sonicowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:31 AM   #15
dsyrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ah thanks, fixing -- I assume the files in question have non-ASCII characters in them!
Thanks, Justin! By the way, could you add an option for sorting? Like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFooz View Post
This could be implemented in the existing action "Sort shortcuts (toggle order)", which would be a 3-way toggle: sorted up/sorted down/user order.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:01 AM   #16
bFooz

Is the TCP fx list walterable? There is a lot of space horizontally which just beggs to put there several collums of effects and sends.

bFooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:29 AM   #17
EvilDragon

Quote:
+ Mixer: remove old separate FX parameter section (clarified by editor)
This is not better workflow IMHO. Please leave an option to revert to how it was before. You're not supposed to destroy established workflows (which is - grouping only some parameters from multiple different FX in one place makes a lot more sense than breaking it up by FX slots).

EDIT: I see somebody already agrees with me.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:06 AM   #18
ovnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
With new improvements to Media explorer, could you make a way to scan all databases for new files at once?
+1000
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:14 AM   #19
Vagelis

Thank you thank you thank you for the ability of adding a FX from an empty slot and adding their parameters with right click at the top of the menu!!

One thing that would be really great regarding this would be if we could show the empty slots with an action or with a button(show slots) from the TCP panel.

It would speed up even more the proccess of adding an fx from the slots, and skip the step of adding fx from the fx menu in order to show the slots. Also a button on the TCP panel to show/hide slots, would help for hiding them when they are to many.

And one last important and useful thing would be an option to show/hide only the fx parameters by left clicking on each TCP fx or from the menu below "show parameters in track panel".
IMO i find it more useful and fast to show/hide the parameters by left clicking on each TCP fx (like parameters folder) and show the fx from right click menu.

Last edited by Vagelis; 07-04-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:30 AM   #20
AlexLazer

Please add autocrossfades when split by Area selection.
And Area selection mouse modifier: Copy vertically.
And created Area selection by select items.
And snap Area selection edge to item edge.
Please. Thanks

Last edited by AlexLazer; 07-04-2020 at 03:49 AM.
AlexLazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:42 AM   #21
puddi

Quote:
# TCPfx: support drag/drop from list
Nice one!

Although now when I left-click an empty mixer slot the right-click menu opens instead of the FX Browser. If I disable "Show FX inserts in TCP..." then nothing happens when I left click.
Old 07-04-2020, 03:46 AM   #22
joe2

Quote:
+ Media explorer: support marking media files as favorites
tldr: can there be an action-toggleable option for the fav flag to "follow" files around, so it's persistent if they're copied/pasted/moved? (I guess this might mean adding it to the file as metadata?)

In more detail:

- Mark a file as favourite

- Move to another dir (with REAPER or not)

- Viewing the dir you've moved the file to, ME doesn't mark it as fav.

(1) Should there be a way of maintaining fav status for files that are moved? What about copied? (Maybe a toggle-able action for "copying files also copies fav flag".)

- Move the file back to its original location.

- Viewing the original dir, ME doesn't mark it as fav.

(2) Given the file loses its fav flag when moved, this makes sense to me. However, some people might want fav status to be persistent for files with a given name in a given dir, e.g. if the files disappear then comes back again, they're still marked as fav (even if said file *didn't* have the fav flag in its "other" location). I guess this could be tricky (and confusing!)? Probably better to just go with "fav flag follows item" as suggested above.

Thoughts welcomed!

Cheers.
joe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:50 AM   #23
vitalker

Quote:
+ Mixer: improve cursor feedback when drag/dropping FX inserts
I don't see any improvements.
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:00 AM   #24
Vagelis

Btw Devs , IMO one more thing that would be really amazing for faster automation in conjuction with the TCP FX parameters, is if when we move a TCP fx parameter knob, could create a track envelope for this parameter at the top lane, but as a preview ? So that when we move another knob parameter to hide the previous and show only one at a time.

Just saying this because i would love to be able and add an envelope fast from the TCP parameters. Or please could you reorder this menu ?

Now when i right click to add an envelope the menu order is : Remove from list, Learn, Modulate, Envelope, Alias.

I would prefer much more if at the top was Envelope and then something like Learn, Modulate, Alias, Remove.

Last edited by Vagelis; 07-04-2020 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:09 AM   #25
Reflected

can we have a wet/dry near every fx in the tcp?
Reflected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:28 AM   #26
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe2 View Post
- Mark a file as favourite

- Move to another dir (with REAPER or not)

- Viewing the dir you've moved the file to, ME doesn't mark it as fav.

Well, you wouldn't want to mark harpsichord/sample1.wav as a favorite and then have reaper automatically mark machinegun/sample1.wav. As you say, the only way this could work is if we support writing the fav flag into the file as metadata -- which we could do, but it doesn't really feel like information that should get written into a media file. It's more like meta-metadata.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:47 AM   #27
musicbynumbers

Thanks for the TCP fx. That's going to be a massive speed increase! Thanks!

I actually like the way of doing it as it now but agree with others that the old way would be good for somethings too.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:42 AM   #28
joe2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
Well, you wouldn't want to mark harpsichord/sample1.wav as a favorite and then have reaper automatically mark machinegun/sample1.wav. As you say, the only way this could work is if we support writing the fav flag into the file as metadata -- which we could do, but it doesn't really feel like information that should get written into a media file. It's more like meta-metadata.
You might've misunderstood my suggestion (or I might've misunderstood your example), but either way let's put the "automatic" idea aside - it probably doesn't make sense from a dev or user perspective anyway.

I agree, fav is kinda meta-metadata, but nevertheless I think it would be nice if the ME had the *option* to write this to a file. (Default disabled, and action-toggleable, with a lovely big warning for users that enabling will write changes to files, ofc.)

Thanks for considering it!
joe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:05 AM   #29
EvilDragon

I'd just like to remind the devs that mousewheel on the new MIDI CC lane menu is inverted with no option to uninvert it. Please tweak this because scrolling mousewheel UP to go DOWN in the menu makes no sense IMHO.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #30
Vagelis

Some thoughts about TCP controls from today. When resizing the track vertically, the fx and their parameters are kind of messed up if the fxs don't have the same number of parameters. IMO it would be better if possible to show the fxs on top slots and below their parameters when we resize the track.

Or i was thinking it might be better if the first column to the left was only for fxs and to show their parameters horizontally to the right of each fx. Any thoughts?
Old 07-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #31
zacki

I think "Piano roll timebase - Project synced" in the MIDI Editor is not working anymore. The ME ruler is not kept aligned with the project ruler. Can someone verify this, please? Win10, R6x64

(and there's also something weird with forum attachments. My PNG gets distorted)
Attached Images
File Type: png Clipboard01.png (7.2 KB, 183 views)

Last edited by zacki; 07-05-2020 at 12:42 AM. Reason: more precise bug description
zacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #32
Scottsdale

Default Accessibility improvements for Media Explorer

A few accessibility requests for Media Explorer:

1. Can the hardware outputs button be included in the tab order please? Right now, the only way to reach that button using screen reader software is to poke around in the object hierarchy.

2. Ditto volume slider?

3. Can we have a default keystroke to focus the search field (say Control+F, Command+F and Linuxy-convension+F)? It would also be superb if hitting DownArrow from the search field moved focus to the topmost result in the file list, as is the case with the filters in the FX browser and the Actions dialog.

4. When triggered from a shortcut, the action "Media explorer: Show/hide media explorer" only seems to work when I'm focused in the database list or file list. Can this be made to work from everywhere in the window?

5. Can we get some form of keyboard access to the seek bar thingy? Currently I'm not finding a way to control that at all sans mouse. Failing that, perhaps actions that seek backwards and forwards at a few different increments we could assign to shortcuts?

Yeah I know, I'm a lot.

Scott
Scottsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #33
alexgameaudio

When I close media explorer and reopen it, it doesn't remember what i was looking at. Is there an option to keep the current state of my search/selected file in memory?
alexgameaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:12 PM   #34
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I'd just like to remind the devs that mousewheel on the new MIDI CC lane menu is inverted with no option to uninvert it. Please tweak this because scrolling mousewheel UP to go DOWN in the menu makes no sense IMHO.
Agreed.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #35
juliansader

At present, when embedded FX UIs are displayed together with track controls and the new FX inserts in the TCP, the track controls / FX inserts take up a lot of space on the left side of the TCP, and the FX UIs are squeezed to the right.

Perhaps, instead of filling the entire height of the TCP with blank track control slots, only one open slot should be displayed (for easy inserting of a new FX or control), and the FX UIs can be arranged below, so that they can expand to the full width of the TCP.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #36
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
This is not better workflow IMHO. Please leave an option to revert to how it was before. You're not supposed to destroy established workflows (which is - grouping only some parameters from multiple different FX in one place makes a lot more sense than breaking it up by FX slots).

EDIT: I see somebody already agrees with me.
ABSOLUTELY!
+1.000.000
akademie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:04 PM   #37
Joe90

Default Media Explorer request...

PLEASE would you consider adding a means of drag and dropping to an autocreated new track from media explorer? Currently when importing a file onto a new autocreated track, the new track always appears at the bottom of the project. In a 250 track project when you already know where you want the new track, having no way to make it appear where you actually want it seems counter-productive.

I know we can make a blank track first before we start digging for a sample, but this is not ideal - it's just one more thing to hamper you when inspiration strikes.

For example - I've taken to quickly creating a bunch of tracks in the place in the tracklist that I need them before I go sample digging. However, if I'm dragging multiple samples and I made too many tracks then I need to go through and delete the empty ones, and if I created too few tracks then the last few samples will fall on existing tracks (overwriting existing items as I usually have 'trim behind...' enabled, plus those tracks will not be autorenamed to the sample name). If you do a lot of digging through big libraries like large drum/orchestral libraries this process quickly becomes tiresome.

Here's a couple of potential implementations that could work -

a) Holding a modifier when dragging the file, the track(s) could be autocreated directly underneath the track you actually drop it onto (or, even better, a new 'ghost' track could appear under the mouse cursor while the modifier is held).

b) Dragging the file over to the TCP triggers the track auto creation, if dropped onto the TCP it auto creates a new track, if dropped onto an existing track in the timeline, then it is imported onto that track as normal. Again it could be created directly below the TCP under cursor, or it could create a ghost track when the file you're dragging crosses over to the TCP.

A new default media explorer option - 'insert media onto new track directly below selected track' could go some way to solving this I suppose (and would also be appreciated) but a drag and drop system that lets us autocreate the track in the spot we want it would be tidier and more intuitive IMO.

It would also be nice if the search text wasn't cleared whenever we click on a folder/favourite too. I think that's been mentioned.

Cheers!
Joe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #38
Nostrap

My monitor fx no longer seem to open with Reaper anymore if I had them open when I closed it in the latest dev (possibly earlier I can try to track down the change if needed). Some settings are also not being saved like they used to be (noticing on Signalizer vst)
Nostrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:26 AM   #39
J Reverb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool View Post
It looks cool! I quickly tested, there is everything, as in the MCP: deleting, copying to another track, re-ordering, adding the effect ... Amazing!

Now, the context menu opens anyway, and to add an effect I have to do one click more. Perhaps I missed something and now it can be changed in the options?

Just a screenshot to get attention

-

Where is the option to show this ?
Thanks.

Also thanks for the media explorer ctrl+alt drag support
J Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 02:15 AM   #40
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Reverb View Post
Where is the option to show this ?