Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-13-2020, 08:07 AM   #1
Livealot
Human being with feelings

Default Copy midi between tracks with different tempo

I'm trying to copy midi from a track with lots of tempo changes to a track with a constant tempo. The trick is how not to lose all the length variation.

Here's the scenario. I composed a midi track using all eighth notes. To make it more expressive, I then created lots of tempo sections (slower, faster, acceleration, deceleration). Let's call this the "performance" track.

If I copy this midi to a new track with constant tempo, I lose the "performance" and get the original static eighth notes.

Basically, I'm hoping there's a way to convert the original eighth notes to their tempo adjusted lengths in the new track.

One approach is to render the performance track, and then paste the audio into the new track. But this loses the midi values.

I've attached an example where you can "see" the performance with different lengths visually. So I'm hoping there's an easy way to convert the visuals to corresponding note lengths in a new track.
Attached Images
File Type: png image18.png (58.7 KB, 118 views)
Livealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
heda

you can make the midi item to ignore tempo changes in the item properties, then remove the tempo map envelope changes, the timing is preserved, and then glue the item. now it will adapt to any constant tempo you paste it into.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
Livealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
you can make the midi item to ignore tempo changes in the item properties
Maybe I don't understand where to change this. When I went to Item Properties > Properties > and ticked Ignore project tempo, that just converted the "performance" back to the static eighth notes.

Or maybe I have the selection wrong. For testing, I just created a single midi take of 4 notes, and am looping that throughout. So maybe I need to identify the "performance" as a separate take somehow

Last edited by Livealot; 07-13-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 08:40 AM   #4
heda

oops sorry... forget about the ignore tempo in item properties...
in this case you have to use the action from SWS "SWS/BR: Enable "Ignore project tempo" for selected MIDI items preserving time position of MIDI events (use tempo at item's start)"

then delete tempos to be a constant tempo... and glue the item.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
Livealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by heda View Post
use the action from SWS .
ahh, so not basic Reaper. I'll import SWS and give that a try. Thanks for the tip.