Old 06-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #81
mikefloutier
Human being with feelings

Default Where can I find layouts to download

Sorry if this is a silly question but where can I find TouchOSC layouts to download, I can see you guys have been working on them but I don't see any links.

Many thanks.

Mike
mikefloutier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #82
tater01

Default Can't get Subz layout to fully work!

I installed Subz layout and all the buttons work fine, but:

I can't get any of the data to show back on the iphone screen. Like the track names and plug in names. The VU meter. Anything that requires feedback from reaper to show on iphone.

My question is what needs to be setup to get the feedback?
I can get TouchOSC to work in reaper with no Bridge or anything. But only the buttons work. I can forward ports if needed but buttons are working fine without the ports forwarded. Does TouchOSC Bridge have to be on? Do you have to import an actions list? Do you have to edit the reaper-osc-actions.ini file?

Any help would be appreciated getting the track names, fx names, vu meter to show back on my iphone would be great!
tater01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #83
tater01

Default Whew!

Nevermind that last post I am a F!@#$tard!
I had reaper block in firewall, duh!

But now I have a real question!

Does anyone know how to get TouchOSC to execute a Reaper Action.
I need an example for the line of text to add to .ReaperOSC file.
And I would like a screenshot of what binding to give the button in TouchOSC editor.

I am trying to map an action, like split items at cursor, to a touchosc button.

Please and thank you!

And I have a sick Android Tablet layout almost done if I could figure this last part out (How to map an action in TouchOSC). I will gladly post my hard work when its done!

P.S. I know I can learn an OSC command from the actions menu. I want to know how to hard type it in there so when I share this no one will have to midi learn any buttons!

Last edited by tater01; 07-02-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #84
darthmorphling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater01 View Post
Nevermind that last post I am a F!@#$tard!
I had reaper block in firewall, duh!

But now I have a real question!

Does anyone know how to get TouchOSC to execute a Reaper Action.
I need an example for the line of text to add to .ReaperOSC file.
And I would like a screenshot of what binding to give the button in TouchOSC editor.

I am trying to map an action, like split items at cursor, to a touchosc button.

Please and thank you!

And I have a sick Android Tablet layout almost done if I could figure this last part out (How to map an action in TouchOSC). I will gladly post my hard work when its done!

P.S. I know I can learn an OSC command from the actions menu. I want to know how to hard type it in there so when I share this no one will have to midi learn any buttons!
This post has the info you need.

http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...5&postcount=11

one of the lines is put in the config file and the second line is what gets put on the OSC line for your button. Just replace the action number for the one you want.

Hope that helps!

Don
Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 AM   #85
tater01

Default Tried it!

That didn't work.

I want to map action #40757 to a touchosc button.

Ok, I typed "ACTION i/action/40757" in the .ReaperOSC file.

And I typed "/action/40757" as the command for the push button in TouchOSC.

Didn't work.

Also tried changing the TouchOSC button to, "/1/action/40757", cause sometimes they need that page number to work. But that didn't work either.

No quotes of course. But maybe it has something to do with wildcard. You had the "@" wildcard in your example?
Old 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #86
darthmorphling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater01 View Post
That didn't work.

I want to map action #40757 to a touchosc button.

Ok, I typed "ACTION i/action/40757" in the .ReaperOSC file.

And I typed "/action/40757" as the command for the push button in TouchOSC.

Didn't work.

Also tried changing the TouchOSC button to, "/1/action/40757", cause sometimes they need that page number to work. But that didn't work either.

No quotes of course. But maybe it has something to do with wildcard. You had the "@" wildcard in your example?
You don't have to out the action number in the config file. Just put the following:

ACTION i/action/@

Then in the button you put

/action/40757
Old 07-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #87
tater01

Default Thanks Darth!

I figured it out with part your help and part the default.ReaperOSC file.

You have to put

ACTION i/action t/action/@

in the .ReaperOSC file.

Then

/action/40757

in the button.

Thanks Darth. You are almost better than titties and beer. I think I want to tongue punch your fartbox. I scoured the net to figure this out.

Many thanks!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #88
darthmorphling

Here is an OSC file and a config file that I just got working for you.

Edit: Uploaded this before I saw your reply. Glad you got it working! It has been a year since I used the action command and forgot the other portion of the config line.
Attached Files
File Type: reaperosc SplitItem.ReaperOSC (176 Bytes, 326 views)
File Type: zip SplitItem.zip (487 Bytes, 322 views)

Last edited by darthmorphling; 07-03-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: clarification
darthmorphling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #89
Subz

TouchOSC is now Android ready for ALL OSC actions & control's & custom layouts!

i think its time to make a super preset for phone & tablets!

so far i have only modded the logic TouchOSC presets for tablet & phone but am willing to try help out on a full on Reaper TouchOSC preset!

out of those that can contribute, who is down?

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #90
labyrinth

Default New Template soon

Hey everyone, it's been a very long time since I posted. I will hopefully be providing a template soon. The template shown below is still in progress, running into a bit of trouble with some of the toggles. Thoughts?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #91
Heb

That looks awesome!
Heb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #92
purecountry70

Default OSC Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
I just scanned the TouchOsc docs - there is a way to provide vibrate/haptic feedback upon touching a push button/toggle switch?
Hey Chip,would you know where the templates are to download. just courious

thanks Bill McDonald
purecountry70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #93
purecountry70

Default ipad OSC template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subz View Post
Kewl!

Subz
hello Subz, I was courious if you had the link to download the OSC-touch template, I'd appreciate it

thanks purecountry
purecountry70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #94
flipotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by labyrinth View Post
Hey everyone, it's been a very long time since I posted. I will hopefully be providing a template soon. The template shown below is still in progress, running into a bit of trouble with some of the toggles. Thoughts?

Hey is this ready to test?
I would like to step in and try to help out.
can you send it to me... genmce@yahoo.com
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #95
lubvic

This is my touchosc patch, starting from the patch downloaded somewhere in this forum, if you want i can give it plus the .reaperosc file.

i made two different patches, one for the first tablet the ather for the second, with different screens and commands...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mixer.jpg (59.6 KB, 835 views)
File Type: jpg CS.jpg (58.5 KB, 584 views)
File Type: jpg FXParam.jpg (56.2 KB, 535 views)
lubvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #96
flipotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubvic View Post
This is my touchosc patch, starting from the patch downloaded somewhere in this forum, if you want i can give it plus the .reaperosc file.

i made two different patches, one for the first tablet the ather for the second, with different screens and commands...
Looks great - please post the layout and support files.
I want to try it soon. post them both. i have an older ipad1 and an ipad2.

Thanks.
flipotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #97
lubvic

hi Flippotto, i'm posting the touchosc maps, but, unfortunely... actually i made it for my android tablets, this means that are optimized for 1024x600 displays.
you may visualize strange things on ipad.

i'm not able 'till the WE to post the .reaperOSC files, i have it in my studio.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TouchReaper.zip (27.5 KB, 525 views)

Last edited by lubvic; 10-03-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #98
Sound asleep

This looks awesome. I have relatively basic needs for this sort of thing.

All I would need would be to have the master fader always present, and to be able to cycle through the other tracks, with their track names displayed, have control for width and pan and volume, solo rec arm and mute, and a to bypass, unbypass fx might be cool also actually.

and then global controls for record and play/pause.

Is there something similar to this made for a 7inch android screen already for reaper?

And if not, how complex is it to make your own template?

Also, how does it work? Am I limited in commands? Or can I bind a touch OSC button to macros I have?

This looks like it could be quite cool for recording at a distance.

EDIT: Had to get this and try it. The logic setup that comes with it, is actually quite good for me, a little overkill, but that's ok.

However, It would be cool if I could change the order of the pages, delete the useless EQ one, and add a copy of the current track one to the front, and have it pegged always to the master track.

Is this possible?

also, is there a way I could get whatever track I select in reaper to be the track that appears on touch osc?

Last edited by Sound asleep; 10-02-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Sound asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:33 AM   #99
lubvic

everything you write is possible, only bind touchosc to macros and custom actions... i don't know.
Keep in mind that touchosc editor is quite buggy and limited, you can do things, but with some pain.
Start from scrap or from a good patch and make one by yourself you feel confortable.
in mine, you'll have most of the things you are looking for, try to start from it. ;-)
Old 10-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #100
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubvic View Post
everything you write is possible, only bind touchosc to macros and custom actions... i don't know.
Keep in mind that touchosc editor is quite buggy and limited, you can do things, but with some pain.
Start from scrap or from a good patch and make one by yourself you feel confortable.
in mine, you'll have most of the things you are looking for, try to start from it. ;-)
Yeah, I'd recommend much the same: stare at a few different existing lay-outs, but then make your own ones. Tip: stay clear of the silly namespace used in the Logic-related templates. Imho those are very bad examples (or, very good ones of how to do things in an unnecessary complicated manner).

Binding OSC messages to custom actions is easy, using either the "ACTION i/action t/action/@" OSC action description in an OSC control surface configuration, or by using MIDI/OSC Learn.

However, beware a little catch: you should watch out for changing action Cmd IDs (make the Actions list window wide enough, so you can see its column, and look what happens to the action Cmd IDs between brackets when you add and remove custom actions).

A workaround (so you don't have to update your OSC configuration when IDs change) is to bind such actions to toolbar buttons (which have action IDs that should not change), then use the actions to trigger that toolbar button.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #101
Sound asleep

When I select a track in reaper, it doesn't select that track on my OSC. How can I get it to do that?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #102
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
When I select a track in reaper, it doesn't select that track on my OSC. How can I get it to do that?
Quoted from the instructions in the comments of the Default.ReaperOSC configuration file:
Code:
# DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS determines whether the selected track in the device changes
# only when the device changes it, or if it follows the last touched track in the 
# REAPER window.
# Allowed values: DEVICE, LAST_TOUCHED
[...]
Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS DEVICE
As you can see, the default value does *not* make the OSC control surface device follow REAPER's selection. So check to see if you're using the default value, and if so (or if you don't have this action description in your configuration file yet), change it to:
Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS LAST_TOUCHED
You can probably also make a button (on the OSC control surface, whatever it is you're using) to switch this behaviour by sending the appropriate messages, using these OSC action descriptions (also quoted from the the Default.ReaperOSC configuration file):
Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS s/device/track/follows
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS_DEVICE t/device/track/follows/device
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS_LAST_TOUCHED t/device/track/follows/last_touched
Old 10-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #103
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
Quoted from the instructions in the comments of the Default.ReaperOSC configuration file:
Code:
# DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS determines whether the selected track in the device changes
# only when the device changes it, or if it follows the last touched track in the 
# REAPER window.
# Allowed values: DEVICE, LAST_TOUCHED
[...]
Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS DEVICE
As you can see, the default value does *not* make the OSC control surface device follow REAPER's selection. So check to see if you're using the default value, and if so (or if you don't have this action description in your configuration file yet), change it to:
Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS LAST_TOUCHED
You can probably also make a button (on the OSC control surface, whatever it is you're using) to switch this behaviour by sending the appropriate messages, using these OSC action descriptions (also quoted from the the Default.ReaperOSC configuration file):
Code:
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS s/device/track/follows
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS_DEVICE t/device/track/follows/device
DEVICE_TRACK_FOLLOWS_LAST_TOUCHED t/device/track/follows/last_touched
cool, thanks, but, I'm not sure last touched will be most ideal, because I also use my keyboard to select tracks, and I'm not sure that counts. gonna test it. It's better than nothing too.

Do you know how I could take the channel strip like the logic touch one, and just peg that permanently to the master track?

EDIT: Awesome! this works amazing!

All I need now is to peg a track to master and my mission is complete.

I'm starting to think that this part can't be done.

I don't want to select the track in reaper, I would like one page, that controls the master track, without navigating to it, and the other page that is on the selected track.

I don't see how that could be possible.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 10-03-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #104
Banned

Quote:
cool, thanks, but, I'm not sure last touched will be most ideal, because I also use my keyboard to select tracks, and I'm not sure that counts. gonna test it. It's better than nothing too.
If it selects a track in REAPER, it counts.
Quote:
Do you know how I could take the channel strip like the logic touch one, and just peg that permanently to the master track?
I don't use that template (imho it sucks balls), nor do I use TouchOSC much. But you'd need to use the TouchOSC editor and the editor file of the original layout to copy the layout, or recreate it from scratch; then use OSC messages targeting the master track instead of (a) numbered track(s). All the required info is in the Default.ReaperOSC file. Note that there are dedicated actions descriptions for the master track parameters such as MASTER_VOLUME, MASTER_PAN etc., much like there are for regular tracks (TRACK_VOLUME, TRACK_PAN, etc.).
Old 10-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #105
Sound asleep

Quote:
If it selects a track in REAPER, it counts.

I don't use that template (imho it sucks balls), nor do I use TouchOSC much. But you'd need to use the TouchOSC editor and the editor file of the original layout to copy the layout, or recreate it from scratch; then use OSC messages targeting the master track instead of (a) numbered track(s). All the required info is in the Default.ReaperOSC file. Note that there are dedicated actions descriptions for the master track parameters such as MASTER_VOLUME, MASTER_PAN etc., much like there are for regular tracks (TRACK_VOLUME, TRACK_PAN, etc.).
Cool, I'll check that out.

Well, that template is quite simple, but that's fine.

All I need this is for, is to be able to control my levels, record, and stuff like that easily if I'm a bit away from my DAW. I don't need it for anything else really.

I have a wireless keyboard with a mouse scroll on it, but controlling some stuff like volume, is really tough.

Having the selected track, which will almost always be the recording track, on my tablet, and access to master fader, would be amazing.

That template is also pretty big, and relatively simple, which makes things fast and easy for me.

I have taken the logictouch template, removed the EQ section, and replaced it with a copy paste of the track page, which I will peg to the master fader.

I was hoping all of the commands would have been copy pasted as well, but it is standard for stuff like this that the copy is purely cosmetic.

What sucks though, is looking at the original, the data doesn't seem to be listed there.

in midi, the original looks as though it was blank apart from the name of the thing. So, idk, that's odd... wait, do i have to define all the parameters in the file on the pc?

I will investigate. Small hurdle either way, because I would have to change the commands to work with the master ones, which is cool. Idk what I'm gonna put instead of track navigations on master pane though, maybe a bypass all effects toggle or something.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #106
Banned

Quote:
Well, that template is quite simple, but that's fine.
It's not so much the lay-out of those templates that I dislike most (as it doesn't fit well for my typical workflow, YMMV of course), it's the retarded namespace. I would suggest ditching it in favour of the namespace used in the Default.ReaperOSC configuration file, even if you (more or less) maintain the lay-out.
Quote:
[...] What sucks though, is looking at the original, the data doesn't seem to be listed there.

in midi, the original looks as though it was blank apart from the name of the thing. So, idk, that's odd... wait, do i have to define all the parameters in the file on the pc?
You have to define all parameters on *both* ends: the configuration used in REAPER, and the configuration used with the OSC control surface device. And you need to use the exact same namespace on both ends. Which is no different from MIDI, basically.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #107
Sound asleep

Dang,I'm confused with the string part.

I have:

MASTER_PAN n/3/MASTER_PAN s/3/

I named my things the same in editor as in file. But, I don't know what to put for the string.

I noticed they have s/"page"/trkvolval for the track volumes, but, I feel like I should have one like that for master. I can't find where that trkvolval refers to. Is it something in reaper? How can I know what to write for the master one?

But ya, if you want to use this, as a tool sitting at your DAW to complement your workstation this layout is not very awesome. But for a quick long distance control for the necessary controls you'd need when recording far away, it's pretty cool.

I don't think I'm going to go through the trouble of renaming the current system. I will rename all the new parts, but I will leave the original as is.

I did move stuff around, and get rid of some things I wouldn't use though. Makes it cleaner and bigger and easier.

How do I write it if i have two same buttons, on two different pages, that do the same exact thing?

I'm also confused about sending my own action. I know I will have to bind in reaper, but in the example in the default, they put a number, which I don't know where they got, or how to decide which to use, or even if it will be automatically generated, and I don't have to write one.

I find the help could be more simple.

so far, I have:

ACTION i/3/FX_BYPASS t/3/FX_BYPASS/@

It's for a toggle button i would like to bind to "bypass fx chain." and it is on page 3.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 10-03-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #108
Banned

Quote:
Dang,I'm confused with the string part.

I have:

MASTER_PAN n/3/MASTER_PAN s/3/

I named my things the same in editor as in file. But, I don't know what to put for the string.
No offense, but that looks really silly to me. Why would you use the name of the action description with the exact same format (see, again, the Default.ReaperOSC configuration file - did you even read that yet? you should have! - which mentions "action description in all caps"). This only makes things more confusing.

How about just using "string" or "str" for strings? E.g.
Code:
MASTER_VOLUME n/master/volume s/master/volume/str
But for all the OSC specs, REAPER, TouchOSC, and I care, you can just as well use something like:
Code:
MASTER_VOLUME s/my/master/is/this/loud
Use whatever makes most semantic sense to you. As long as you match it on both ends, it should work.
Quote:
I noticed they have s/"page"/trkvolval for the track volumes, but, I feel like I should have one like that for master. I can't find where that trkvolval refers to. Is it something in reaper? How can I know what to write for the master one?

But ya, if you want to use this, as a tool sitting at your DAW to complement your workstation this layout is not very awesome. But for a quick long distance control for the necessary controls you'd need when recording far away, it's pretty cool.

I don't think I'm going to go through the trouble of renaming the current system. I will rename all the new parts, but I will leave the original as is.

I did move stuff around, and get rid of some things I wouldn't use though. Makes it cleaner and bigger and easier.
I already told you that namespace was retarded, didn't I? Seriously, thing will probably make much more sense much more quickly when you get rid of that retarded namespace than by trying to understand what it actually does.

So, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to help people use a retarded namespace. But here's what I can do: "trkvolval" seems to stand for "track volume value". Now, doesn't "/track/volume/value" make much more semantic sense to you? Look what OSC message address is used for the TRACK_VOLUME OSC action description in the .ReaperOSC configuration you're using. It should match on both ends. If it doesn't, you can either change it on REAPER's end, or on the end of the control surface.

Then perhaps also compare how the Default.ReaperOSC configuration does the same thing, using a different namespace. Again, I would recommend sticking as close to REAPER's default configuration as possible - and not sticking to some namespace that just happens to have been used in some arbitrary lay-out that was designed to be used with a completely different application.

And those page numbers ("/3"): ROFL! Seriously, why would *anyone* care to inform REAPER what page on some OSC control surface layout some control is located on? And then live with essentialy redundant duplicate traffic in order to manage its feedback properly when the same control appears on multiple 'pages'? Did I already say that namespace is retarded?
Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #109
Sound asleep

Quote:
No offense, but that looks really silly to me. Why would you use the name of the action description with the exact same format (see, again, the Default.ReaperOSC configuration file - did you even read that yet? you should have! - which mentions "action description in all caps"). This only makes things more confusing.

How about just using "string" or "str" for strings? E.g.
Code:
MASTER_VOLUME n/master/volume s/master/volume/str
But for all the OSC specs, REAPER, TouchOSC, and I care, you can just as well use something like:
Code:
MASTER_VOLUME s/my/master/is/this/loud
Use whatever makes most semantic sense to you. As long as you match it on both ends, it should work.

I already told you that namespace was retarded, didn't I? Seriously, thing will probably make much more sense much more quickly when you get rid of that retarded namespace than by trying to understand what it actually does.

So, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to help people use a retarded namespace. But here's what I can do: "trkvolval" seems to stand for "track volume value". Now, doesn't "/track/volume/value" make much more semantic sense to you? Look what OSC message address is used for the TRACK_VOLUME OSC action description in the .ReaperOSC configuration you're using. It should match on both ends. If it doesn't, you can either change it on REAPER's end, or on the end of the control surface.

Then perhaps also compare how the Default.ReaperOSC configuration does the same thing, using a different namespace. Again, I would recommend sticking as close to REAPER's default configuration as possible - and not sticking to some namespace that just happens to have been used in some arbitrary lay-out that was designed to be used with a completely different application.

And those page numbers ("/3"): ROFL! Seriously, why would *anyone* care to inform REAPER what page on some OSC control surface layout some control is located on? And then live with essentialy redundant duplicate traffic in order to manage its feedback properly when the same control appears on multiple 'pages'? Did I already say that namespace is retarded?
no offense taken, to be honest, I don't really care that much what the name of stuff is because it's fairly simple what i'm doing here, so it shouldn't be too confusing.

Not sure I understand exactly the definition of name space.

I don't mind the whole page thing, except for what you mentioned exactly. What happens if I have the same thing twice? I don't mind redundant code, but, I just don't want to mess things up.

I'm not sure how to write it correctly.

I understand the s/trkvolval thing. I couldn't find it before, and wasn't sure what it did. But I get it now, I actually don't mind that nomenclature, the abbreviations make sense, that seems pretty standard sort of thing in programing for that type of definition.

That's the name of a txt field, which will change according to the trk vol in db, or pan, which is cool. So, I got that sorted.

So Awesome. All I need to do now, is get those double commands working. (should I just enter the capitalization part twice? or just string on another entry with a different page after the previous?)

and then figure out how to put my loop on a toggle that gets the toggle info from reaper, and how to setup FX Bypass for the master track.

can I just choose any arbitrary number for my device action? I'm worried about conflicts.

I can get the toggle button to toggle my loop on or off, but the state of reaper is not replicated in the state of the toggle on my device. Not sure how to get that at this point.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 10-03-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #110
Sound asleep

I understand now. It's easy actually, I just needed to stop it from autonaming the items in on the 3rd page, and give them the first page name.

I still don't get how to setup a custom action though.

Man, I'm so close. I know the action I want is '16' I'm just not getting how to write it in correctly.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 10-03-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #111
Banned

Quote:
no offense taken, to be honest, I don't really care that much what the name of stuff is because it's fairly simple what i'm doing here, so it shouldn't be too confusing.
Exactly my point. So throw out any names that don't make sense to *you* asap and use whatever name that *does* makes sense to you.
Quote:
Not sure I understand exactly the definition of name space.
That simply means: the set of names of the OSC addresses you are using to send OSC messages to. See here.
Quote:
I don't mind the whole page thing, except for what you mentioned exactly. What happens if I have the same thing twice? I don't mind redundant code, but, I just don't want to mess things up.
It's not about redundant code, but about redundant network traffic. And it can be quite important to minimise network traffic, especially if you would use wi-fi or bluetooth. Indeed, it is a good recipe for getting things messed up. So, again, don't use those retarded page numbers.

Quote:
I'm not sure how to write it correctly.

I understand the s/trkvolval thing. I couldn't find it before, and wasn't sure what it did. But I get it now, I actually don't mind that nomenclature, the abbreviations make sense, that seems pretty standard sort of thing in programing for that type of definition.
But this is not programming, it is about giving things names that make sense. Sure, using abbreviations is fine. Concatenating "trk", "vol", and "val" into one abbreviation doesn't, at least if one intends to preserve the ability to use the different parts of the address for efficiently routing OSC traffic. I guess that doesn't matter much for a simple application like TouchOSC, though.
Quote:
So Awesome. All I need to do now, is get those double commands working. (should I just enter the capitalization part twice? or just string on another entry with a different page after the previous?)
Well, you could copy the capitalised stuff ten times, if that's what you want. OSC allows you to use really stupid names. But, short answer: NO. Do not copy any capitalised parts at all, as that only makes it confusing. You are not allowed to change REAPER's OSC action descriptions - which are all written in ALL_CAPS_WITH_UNDERSCORES style. So it's much more clear to avoid using ALL_CAPS_WITH_UNDERSCORES for the addressess, i.e. the parts that you *are* allowed to change, so you can easily distinguish between the OSC action description and the corresponding address to use for it.

AND DO NOT USE THOSE RETARDED PAGE NUMBERS.
Quote:
and then figure out how to put my loop on a toggle that gets the toggle info from reaper, and how to setup FX Bypass for the master track.

can I just choose any arbitrary number for my device action? I'm worried about conflicts.
If you mean an action in REAPER, no. You have to use its Cmd ID.
Quote:
I can get the toggle button to toggle my loop on or off, but the state of reaper is not replicated in the state of the toggle on my device. Not sure how to get that at this point.
There is no feedback for REAPER actions (yet, anyway).
Old 10-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #112
Banned

Quote:
Man, I'm so close. I know the action I want is '16' I'm just not getting how to write it in correctly.
Check what your line, if any, for the "ACTION" OSC action description says in your .ReaperOSC file. Then use that address to send the appropriate message, using your actions Cmd ID.

With the Default.ReaperOSC file, using this line:
Code:
... the message to trigger the action "Track: Toggle FX bypass for master track" (which has Cmd ID 16), would be:
Code:
/action 16
or
Code:
/action/16 1

Last edited by Banned; 10-03-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #113
Sound asleep

Quote:
Check what your line, if any, for the "ACTION" OSC action description says in your .ReaperOSC file. Then use that address to send the appropriate message, using your actions Cmd ID.

With the Default.ReaperOSC file, using this line:
Code:
... the message to trigger the action "Track: Toggle FX bypass for master track" (which has Cmd ID 16), would be:
Code:
/action 16
or
Code:
/action/16 1

Ya, that's exactly what the .reaperosc file says.

So, I write 'ACTION i/action/16 t/action/16/@'?

How does it know which toggle or button that I want to trigger that action? And how would I go about doing 2 different buttons that do 2 different things?

Thanks for all your help btw.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:00 PM   #114
Banned

Quote:
Ya, that's exactly what the .reaperosc file says.

So, I write 'ACTION i/action/16 t/action/16/@'?
Assuming you are referring to what to write in the TouchOSC editor: no. For the button that you want to trigger the action in REAPER, you would want to make it send one of the messages that I wrote above.

In case you meant what to write in the .ReaperOSC file: also, no. Because you don't want to mess up the address for the *generic* ACTION action description (i.e., it can be used for *all;* actions in REAPER) by inserting some specific action number. That's what the wildcard character "@" is for.
Quote:
How does it know which toggle or button that I want to trigger that action? And how would I go about doing 2 different buttons that do 2 different things?

Thanks for all your help btw.
What do you mean with "it"? REAPER? TouchOSC?

You should of course decide yourself which button should do what on the end of the OSC control surface. And on REAPER's end, it really is irrelevant where that button (or knob, slider, whatever) is located on the other end. It's the destination of the message that matters, as that defines what happens, not the identity or location of the message sender. (Cf. MIDI: the important part is "play note 60 on channel 1", not "this message comes from the first key on the left side of the keyboard in the right corner of the room" - who cares?)

Making two buttons on your OSC control surface do two different things is as simple as making the buttons send different OSC messages (corresponding to different things in REAPER). In case of REAPER actions, each button should simply sends a different action number in an OSC message corresponding to the ACTION action description on REAPER's end. E.g. button A sends
Code:
/action 16
.. and button B sends
Code:
/action 40668
Cf. the instructions in the Default.ReaperOSC file:
Quote:
# Example: ACTION i/action t/action/@
# The device sends /action 40757 or /action/40757 to trigger the REAPER action
# "split items at edit cursor". See the REAPER actions window for a complete list
# of action command ID numbers.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #115
Sound asleep

Quote:
Assuming you are referring to what to write in the TouchOSC editor: no. For the button that you want to trigger the action in REAPER, you would want to make it send one of the messages that I wrote above.

In case you meant what to write in the .ReaperOSC file: also, no. Because you don't want to mess up the address for the *generic* ACTION action description (i.e., it can be used for *all;* actions in REAPER) by inserting some specific action number. That's what the wildcard character "@" is for.

What do you mean with "it"? REAPER? TouchOSC?

You should of course decide yourself which button should do what on the end of the OSC control surface. And on REAPER's end, it really is irrelevant where that button (or knob, slider, whatever) is located on the other end. It's the destination of the message that matters, as that defines what happens, not the identity or location of the message sender. (Cf. MIDI: the important part is "play note 60 on channel 1", not "this message comes from the first key on the left side of the keyboard in the right corner of the room" - who cares?)

Making two buttons on your OSC control surface do two different things is as simple as making the buttons send different OSC messages (corresponding to different things in REAPER). In case of REAPER actions, each button should simply sends a different action number in an OSC message corresponding to the ACTION action description on REAPER's end. E.g. button A sends
Code:
/action 16
.. and button B sends
Code:
/action 40668
Cf. the instructions in the Default.ReaperOSC file:
Bare in mind, I know nothing.

So, on my buttons, under osc, I untick auto, and write /action 16/ in the box, and /action 40668 for the other button?

then in .reaperosc I just put

'ACTION i/action/ t/action/@'?

I'm going to try this.

EDIT: that was it... sort of. That worked fine for my '40668' action, but it didn't work for my '16' action. Can't figure out why. One is a push button and the other is toggle. But I tried the other as a push as well. So, I don't think that's it. This action would really need to be a toggle.

Then I figured that maybe I had to enter the same number of characters? so 00016? that didn't seem to do it either.

So, idk, that seems odd, I can't figure it out.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 10-03-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #116
Banned

Quote:
Bare in mind, I know nothing.

So, on my buttons, under osc, I untick auto, and write /action 16/ in the box, and /action 40668 for the other button?

then in .reaperosc I just put

'ACTION i/action/ t/action/@'?

I'm going to try this.
Yes, I think that should work - with one correction: use "/action 16", not "/action 16/". And first look to see if you already have a line beginning with "ACTION" - if so, just edit that one.

To be precise: with these messages, you're using the "i/action" pattern, so you would not need to use the second ("t/action/@") pattern in the .ReaperOSC file. But it doesn't hurt to leave them both in place, so I'd recommend to list them both, as in the default config.

If that doesn't work, try the other pattern by sending "/action/16" and "/action/40668", respectively (and if that doesn't work either, try "/action/16 1" and "/action/40668 1").

I'm confident one of those should work. Success.

(Btw, I also responded to your similar question in the other thread here.)
Old 10-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #117
Sound asleep

Quote:
Yes, I think that should work - with one correction: use "/action 16", not "/action 16/". And first look to see if you already have a line beginning with "ACTION" - if so, just edit that one.

To be precise: with these messages, you're using the "i/action" pattern, so you would not need to use the second ("t/action/@") pattern in the .ReaperOSC file. But it doesn't hurt to leave them both in place, so I'd recommend to list them both, as in the default config.

If that doesn't work, try the other pattern by sending "/action/16" and "/action/40668", respectively (and if that doesn't work either, try "/action/16 1" and "/action/40668 1").

I'm confident one of those should work. Success.

(Btw, I also responded to your similar question in the other thread here.)
sweet thanks, will try those options.

I used /action/16 and that didn't work. Did find original ACTION already, kept both things cause I figured I needed those.

/action/16 didn't work though, neither did /action/14 another 2 digit toggle action.

I'll try those other options you mentioned though, hopefully one of those will work.

EDIT: none of them worked. My suspicion is that it has something to do with the fact that the action ID is only 2 digits, or potentially, that it is a toggle action.

EDIT2: It looks to me like toggle actions are not supported as action triggers of this sort. I think that means I'm screwed. I don't understand why that would be though. I would have thought that the action would be the same, just what reaper does with it would be different. So, idk, I'm confused, but toggle and push buttons have not worked for the toggle actions I've tried so far.

...no, wait, toggle loop works. idk, some actions just don't work I guess.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 10-03-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #118
Banned

Quote:
sweet thanks, will try those options.

I used /action/16 and that didn't work. Did find original ACTION already, kept both things cause I figured I needed those.

/action/16 didn't work though, neither did /action/14 another 2 digit toggle action.

I'll try those other options you mentioned though, hopefully one of those will work.

EDIT: none of them worked. My suspicion is that it has something to do with the fact that the action ID is only 2 digits, or potentially, that it is a toggle action.
I would be surprised by either explanation.

Are you sure you are actually using a .ReaperOSC configuration with that line with the ACTION description? (NB: the configuration files for the TouchOSC "Logic" templates contain blank lines for ACTION, so they wouldn't work without editing and reloading.)

Are you sure REAPER is receiving the correct OSC messages as intended? (check this with the OSC input monitor with the "Listen" button in the Control Surface Settings window.)
Old 10-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #119
Sound asleep

Quote:
I would be surprised by either explanation.

Are you sure you are actually using a .ReaperOSC configuration with that line with the ACTION description? (NB: the configuration files for the TouchOSC "Logic" templates contain blank lines for ACTION, so they wouldn't work without editing and reloading.)

Are you sure REAPER is receiving the correct OSC messages as intended? (check this with the OSC input monitor with the "Listen" button in the Control Surface Settings window.)
I have 2 action buttons, one is working, and the other does not. All I am changing is in osc editor, since one button works for actions, the reaperosc portion must be fine.

There doesn't seem to be any sort of listen button in the settings in the app.

It is surprising, but some actions just are not working.

I haven't had any 2 digit action work. There are quite a few 2 digit actions that are midicc/OSC only though, so, idk, what it is. But some actions don't work for some reason.

Last edited by Sound asleep; 10-03-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #120
Banned

Quote:
I have 2 action buttons, one is working, and the other does not. All I am changing is in osc editor, since one button works for actions, the reaperosc portion must be fine.
So what is the OSC message that you're sending from the button that works, and what is the OSC message you're sending from the button that does not work?
Quote:
There doesn't seem to be any sort of listen button in the settings in the app.
In REAPER: Preferences > Control Surfaces > pick an OSC configuration > Edit > Listen.
Quote:
It is surprising, but some actions just are not working.
I don't think so, it must be something you're doing wrong (but unfortunately, at this point I have no clue what that may be...).

I just checked here, "/action 16" works just fine here on REAPER's end, and so does "/action/16". And "/action/40668" and "/action 40668", or any other action Cmd ID I try.... all working as expected here.