Old 06-03-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
uli
Human being with feelings

Default REAPER & MOTIF XS

Hi everybody,

I am great fan of REAPER, using it for homerecording purposes. Since Christmas I am also a proud owner of a Yamaha MOTIF XS 8. I am wondering how well these two can work together.

I am using the Yamaha Steinberg FW ASIO Driver for Audio and Midi Communication between my Computer and the Motif XS.
Audio Routing is no problem and works perfectly. Simple Midi Recording an Playback (Track by Track) is no problem either and works fine as well.

My question concerns the more advanced features of Hardware & Software Integration.

1) Using the Motif XS as a Control Surface doesn't work. If I choose Yamaha 01X as control Surface and put the Motif in REMOTE Mode I frequently get the error message
"The following MIDI Inputs could not be opened MOTIF XS8 REMOTE
The following MIDI Outputs could not be opened
MOTIF XS8 REMOTE"
It used to work with Yamahas MLan Driver (instead of the Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver and REAPER 2.5).

2) Is doesn't seem to be possible to use the Yamaha VST-3-Editor that goes with Motif XS inside REAPER. Are there plans to make it work?

I'd appreciate your Input.
uli
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
paul fenton

Hi Uli,

I use a motif ES8 (with mLAN) in REAPER.To use it as a Control Surface you need to know which midi port to use. I use port 3 as seen by the motif ES it is in fact mLAN 8 in my midi system as seen by Windows.But the important point is to NOT activate this midi port in Reaper Midi devices.Otherwise when you choose it in Control Surfaces it will not be available and you'll get the error message
"The following MIDI Inputs could not be opened MOTIF XS8 REMOTE
The following MIDI Outputs could not be opened
MOTIF XS8 REMOTE" (Quote) I get a different message but it's the same problem.If you deactivate this port in Reaper Midi devices it should work.It works well for me,although I'm currently using Mackie MCU and not 01X. 01X works fine though.

The Yamaha VST-3-Editor won't at the moment in REAPER,maybe someday? Feature request?

You might find this useful in the meantime http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=33051

Paul
JX-8P
01X,i88x
Phenom II with XP.
http://www.soundclick.com/paulfenton
paul fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
uli

Hi Paul,

thanks a lot. Remote Control works fine now.

uli
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
diegoesk

hey guys, I use a motif xs6 with mLAN.

just wanted to know, is it possible to track out 8 stereo channels of audio at once using mLAN?
diegoesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
DarthFader

Can you guys give me some help -- what settings do I set on the XS for reaper..do I set the DAW to cubase or what?

And on reaper do I set the Motif to be HUI or what emulation?

Also anyway do dump user patch lists to .ins or other format for reaper?

Thanks so much
Funkster
DarthFader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
Berkut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uli View Post

2) Is doesn't seem to be possible to use the Yamaha VST-3-Editor that goes with Motif XS inside REAPER. Are there plans to make it work?

I'd appreciate your Input.
uli
Hi chaps, that's exactly my problem..to be. I am contemplating buying a hardware workstation :

A) How do the Yamaha people cope with having either their Motif X-S/F or Rack NOT recognized as a VST instrument ? Specifically, how do they associate a given "state" of the machine to a given project (that is, you load your project, and the motif is configured right for it, like when you last saved you work from inside Reaper ? Is this all done via manual Midi-sysx dump (I do this for my stupid roland Gaia whose 100€ editor is NOT VST-compatible AT ALL !!)

B) How do the Roland people using the Fantom-G6/7/8 consider the VST editor provided. Seems recognized by reaper, but how good/cumbersome is it and have you had any problem with having Both world work together ?

C) How do the Korg people, Kronos-User feel about their own editor within reaper ? No problem to have it set-up ? Easy to use ?

would anyone have another idea with respect to a hardware workstation that would both be very well integrated with reaper (good VST editor provided) and could do also well on it's own for live/instant playing ? Kurzweil ?

Thanks a lot, sweet hearings

Berkut
Berkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Beatmaker247

Quote:
Originally Posted by uli View Post
Hi Paul,

thanks a lot. Remote Control works fine now.

uli
So how did you get it to work??Can you please explain..
Beatmaker247 is offline   Reply With Quote