Old 12-08-2019, 03:49 AM   #1
Huub
Human being with feelings

Default V6 recording metering layout

Hi, has anyone figured out if this recording mixer layout is possible in V6?
I can not figure it out, the current mixer layout presets do not really make sense to me.

Huub
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2019-12-08 at 11.39.32.jpg (54.4 KB, 264 views)
Huub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:03 AM   #2
synkrotron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huub View Post
Hi, has anyone figured out if this recording mixer layout is possible in V6?
I can not figure it out, the current mixer layout presets do not really make sense to me.

Huub
Yes, it is.

Check out this particular post where White Tie has provided a V6 theme with all the V5 Strip layouts added:-

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...16&postcount=4
Old 12-08-2019, 04:08 AM   #3
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

No, though its easy to copy&paste the V5 strip layouts into the V6 theme, so easy its already been done : HERE.

If I may briefly sidestep into a meta conversation, the number of people asking for strip layouts is a late but timely demonstration into why its important if you like something to say so. When it looked like strip layouts were going to be problematic in the V6 theme I didn't feel I had to think very hard about not doing something similar, because I'd never really heard of or seen anyone use them, none of my IRL testers use them, it seemed like an easy decision to make.

So much internet feedback, sadly, comes from an engineer's perspective of "if you fix everything that is imperfect, you will end up with perfection" when its more often better equated to a creative's perspective "perfection is unattainable, retain what is working well and build on it". Note that neither of these approaches has anything to do with negativity or positivity, all feedback is inherently positive unless it is delivered with malicious intent or presentation.

...cough... apologies for the digression
Old 12-08-2019, 04:28 AM   #4
synkrotron

Hi White Tie :0

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
When it looked like strip layouts were going to be problematic in the V6 theme I didn't feel I had to think very hard about not doing something similar, because I'd never really heard of or seen anyone use them, none of my IRL testers use them, it seemed like an easy decision to make.
Why "problematic?"

Am I going to trip over something if I continue to use them?

I did post here in the past about using a modified "Strip" as a divider track but a search cannot find that post now. At the time I remember that it was something rarely asked for.

This is something I raised earlier in the year:-

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=224234

and was answered.

cheers

andy
Old 12-08-2019, 04:50 AM   #5
Huub

Thanks!

The layouts are not the same though, meter is quite small and a large grey area on my system.

I would love to have the same s V5 in V6 by default personally.

Huub

Edit; the layout is actually the same, on my new 15" I get these gray areas for some reason.

Huub

Last edited by Huub; 12-08-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Huub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:05 AM   #6
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
Why "problematic?"
Because I needed to make an entire theme, with as much flexibility as possible, using a single set of images that would stretch and distort into all the various permutations.

Within WALTER, its not possible to source images from differing folders, and because the script interacts with the theme using WALTER that means that to have global control it needs to operate with the content of a single folder. The addition of HiDPI means that the theme was about to grow drastically (3 sets of every image, the 200% ones being four times as many pixels as 100%) so it was important for every image to justify its inclusion.

I imagine if I'd really put my mind to it I could have done a unified solution that also did strips, but I have no doubt that the 'normal' layout formats would have been seriously compromised.

Doing all this in user themes and mods, however, is totally fair game. Go nuts!