Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 12-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #1
mr_prozac
Human being with feelings

Default How do I get the best sound of the guitar?

How do I get the best sound out of my guitar when recording? I play metal and uses a lot of distortion. Any tips on where i should place the mick on the amp? or any other tips to make it sound a bit "warm"

Tom Erik
mr_prozac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #2
bigwoody

Hey prozac, there are tons of books and articles on just this subject. I use the article archive from Sound on Sound quite a bit. Here is a link

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug0.../logictech.htm

I just selected Articles, the searched for "Guitar Recording" and there was a massive list. The article I choose should tell you everything and more about good techniques....
bigwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #3
mr_prozac

Default Allright!

Thank you so much for the help.
-
Tom Erik
Old 12-17-2006, 07:45 PM   #4
Vertigo50

Just to answer your question about mic placement, the best place to place the mic is....

wherever it sounds best!

I know, I know, you think I'm making fun of you. What I mean is, try it in one place, hit record, say the location verbally so that the mic picks up your voice, then play some of your guitar part. Move the mic to a different spot, and do the same.

Then go back and listen to all your different takes and see which one accomplishes what you want. Try different places on the amp, different distances FROM the amp, etc.

Your ear will tell you the best spot.

This is also the best way to do acoustic guitar, too. You'll find with acoustics, if you move the mic around, you'll find a sweet spot, and it will NEVER be where the "books" tell you to put the mic.
Vertigo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:16 PM   #5
Mikey

Here is what we do when recording amps:

Shure SM57 point straight in at the grill, about 1/4" away. About 1" off centre of speaker. Shure SM58 back about 9" from grill about 4" off centre (up) from speaker centre.

As Vertigo50 says, adjust to your tastes, this will get you started.

Also, we are using these mikes as we don't have enough cash to pony up for a good condensor or ribbon mike.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:45 PM   #6
mr_prozac

I use a sm57 my self, but moving it around and say the position was a great idea. Feel kinda stupid for not coming up with that my self hahahaha
But thanks for help guys:-)
Old 12-18-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
fluffy

A good idea sometimes when recording heavily distorted guitars, is to angle the mic at about 45 degrees, relative to the amp. This will help relieve some of the "fizziness" of the distortion. Then you can move it around, as mentioned earlier, to find the tone you like.

A pair of headphones with good isolation help quite a lot. I use the Vic Firth drummer's headphones. I use the $50 ones, not the $100 ones, and they work very well.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
wickerman

Another good idea is to pull back the gain on your amp. Too much gain = too much fizz and does not sound good.

Recording heavy distorted guitars means using a lot less gain than you would playing live...

Oh, and don't forget the mids. Guitars are all mids and if you don't record with any, you cannot add them later (I record with 100% full mids and adjust to taste after the fact). It sounds a bit strange recording heavy guitars with mids at the time but it makes sense at mixdown.
wickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
haggan

Default Gtr sound

ok, put 2 mikes, 0ne near the karlotte mid, the other one bit away to the outer karlotte. I did that with my last band´s CD recording in a studio in Berlin. Check out that:

http://www.moiterei.net/mainindex.htm

scroll a bit down, then you can grab some stuff
best, haggan
haggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #10
Vertigo50

Oh yeah, and two more tips.

1. If you can get someone else to play for you, then you can put on some headphones and hold the mic and move it around while they play. Makes it much quicker the find the "sweet spot".

2. Also, if you have more than one mic, place one close, and then one further back. (someone mentioned this already, I know) Turn on the close mic only, and find the sweet spot first, THEN turn on both mics and find the sweet spot for the far mic. You may end up not using the far mic, but it helps create some space when you need it. Once recorded, you can then mix between the two mics however you want, based on what you need in the song.

The close and far mic works well for most instruments (violins, clarinets) and you can still add reverb if you want more room sound. It basically just gives you a lot more options.
Vertigo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:15 AM   #11
mr_prozac

Allright. cant wait to try out all of the tips. I'm going to the garage today, i let you know what i went with.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:16 AM   #12
fluffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman View Post
Another good idea is to pull back the gain on your amp. Too much gain = too much fizz and does not sound good.

Recording heavy distorted guitars means using a lot less gain than you would playing live...
Amen, this is SO true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman View Post
Oh, and don't forget the mids. Guitars are all mids and if you don't record with any, you cannot add them later (I record with 100% full mids and adjust to taste after the fact). It sounds a bit strange recording heavy guitars with mids at the time but it makes sense at mixdown.
Also VERY true. Guitars are nearly ALL mids, if you suck them all out, you suck out most of the energy. Find the specific frequencies to cut to give that scooped sound. Leave the rest of the mids in.

Excellent advice, Wickerman.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:36 PM   #13
thectrain

A little thing I do sometimes if I am getting mud is pick closer to the bridge then I would live. I find it helps if I just cant get it clear by moving the mic or turning down gain etc.

I found it helps me anyway, but listen to the guys who know that they are doing haha.
thectrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:08 PM   #14
todd24

I have started using a Palmer direct box latley. It sounded so close to a 57 (off axis, close to center) that It wasnt worth putting up the mic. It gives a very "present" in your face tone. Easily EQed. Lots of mid. The guitar player takes his amp home at the end of the session, so the consistancy of the DI is really usefull.

For really fat guitar, you must Double track. Maybe even triple if you play it tight enough. Use differant guitars with the same amp, or differant pickups. Or better still, differant amps.
todd24 is offline   Reply With Quote