Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 02-21-2019, 03:59 AM   #281
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

That's interesting about the lookahead. I will have another look at this. I don't think I often change the pdc_delay, but I will verify that I don't (this could cause a lot of weird issues). I could also try to just make a dud plugin with a long pdc, to see if that already causes issues on its own on your system.

As for AGC and ducking, no, they don't dance well together at all

AGC is mostly meant for the earlier process, when you're still leafing through filters or randomizing stuff quickly. Once you get to that fine tuning stage where you start ducking it, it should most definitely be off
Old 02-21-2019, 04:37 AM   #282
Sju

Thanks for the updates!

A small UI bug: If you first move the mousewheel, then click on a dropdown box, the mwheel event is still detected and applied to the dropdown.

By the way, could the mousewheel be made to work on the dropdowns like it works on the sliders: without requiring you to click it first? Right now, every time you want to mwheel the dropdown to for example change the filter type, you'll need to click it two times first; once to open the list and a second time to close it, just to give it focus, and this is a bit cumbersome in my opinion.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:44 AM   #283
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sju View Post
Thanks for the updates!

A small UI bug: If you first move the mousewheel, then click on a dropdown box, the mwheel event is still detected and applied to the dropdown.

By the way, could the mousewheel be made to work on the dropdowns like it works on the sliders: without requiring you to click it first? Right now, every time you want to mwheel the dropdown to for example change the filter type, you'll need to click it two times first; once to open the list and a second time to close it, just to give it focus, and this is a bit cumbersome in my opinion.
While I'm reading this ... Yes, this would make it even more effective.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:58 AM   #284
Eliseat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
That's interesting about the lookahead. I will have another look at this. I don't think I often change the pdc_delay, but I will verify that I don't (this could cause a lot of weird issues). I could also try to just make a dud plugin with a long pdc, to see if that already causes issues on its own on your system.

As for AGC and ducking, no, they don't dance well together at all

AGC is mostly meant for the earlier process, when you're still leafing through filters or randomizing stuff quickly. Once you get to that fine tuning stage where you start ducking it, it should most definitely be off
Sai'ke you don't have to work on this as it seems no other people got such problems. I usually don't use RMS, and I like plugins with no or only tiny pdc. So it would be a bit embarrassing if all other users get a long pdc only because of my stupid system's behaviors.

But from my point of view there is something odd with the LookAhead function. Its the second day after I disabled it on my presets and it didn't happen any CPU overload yet. It seems - and this is only my humble opinion - that it fills something up. As I already mentioned, the pdc it creates often doesn't disappear after switching to a preset without pdc. This alone looks a bit weird.

But to say the naked truth: I have no idea! ٩◔̯◔۶

Many thanks for the octaver. It is always surprising how you come around with unexpected things that make lots of sense and even more crazy sounds.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #285
Bri1
Banned

@Eliseat - heh,bruv,would you like to know how to easily change presets with filther?
@sai'ke- hmm-not liking to keep reporting glitches (but some are defo lurking) +also kinda waiting to see why no1 else is to report finding same type of glitches in filther matrix...hmmmm. :/ it can't just be me..
filther matures and loving what that brings in process... have used it in a few recordings- so it's kinda 'stable'-mostly!
yours sincerely,
sir_thanx_a_lot.

ps>
heh- also came upon this old nugget>
product filther
developer sinevibes
no longer available
added 2011
names mean little until a value is put upon something-it's not really a name you could 'copyright' though..eh?

Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:33 AM   #286
EpicSounds

been away from Filther for a while. It's behaving kinda strange since recent updates. When I first tried it I don't remember having any issues. (but my memory is bad)

I have two big fullscreen pictures here https://imgur.com/a/npfP40A

summary: controls are tiny on my retina macbook screen, and the GUI doesn't resize properly when I move the plugin to my other screen.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #287
sai'ke

Alright, relatively short post, because I should be in bed already.

Eliseat; Thanks to you I found a pretty big bug in the lookahead code. Technically, it should only ever affect anything if lookahead was used in conjunction with the LFO section. Could you give it one more try for me to see if it still causes issues?

EpicSounds; While the controls are actually pretty tiny, I do see some bugs in the screenshot. I have attempted to fix the retina support, but as I have no retina monitor to test on, I cannot be sure that it actually works. I'm also not entirely sure if reaper toggles the retina flag when you drag from one monitor to another. While the code should now take that into account if you do, I'm very curious as to whether it actually happens. Could you take another screenshot on 2.02 for me? And also repeat the dragging experiment. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sju; I changed the comboboxes to work similarly to the slider in the sense that scrollwheel is considered when hovering over them, rather than when they are last selected. The bug you mentioned is still on my to-do list (second scrollwheel issue), but I will get to it tomorrow I hope.

Fox; Auto temporary AGC after random is in.

Now ... sleeeeeep. More tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #288
EpicSounds

Hi sai'ke

It's still weird but that is significantly better now when I move it to the dell monitor. I can see the grid lines!

weird stuff - The font completely changes and the sidebar looks a bit blurry.

https://imgur.com/a/FYQ4rQs
Old 02-22-2019, 03:01 PM   #289
Bri1
Banned

hey-who....
tiny update: had a quick blast and finding a couple of things to note perhaps...
video shows a few different issues :
1. the shaper threshold only seems active when shaper is 'engaged'- user can still grab graphic threshold line bar- but no update on slider there- seems ok_when enabled..jfyi..
2. still noticing how spline points can become entangled with the shaper dropdown box--if point goes over box,it's very hard to recover that point..? (why moving that dropbox out of graph window was suggested actually)
3. after some quick randomizingz..noticed a glitch with the lfo matrix-- can you see how it behaves with certain settings?? very erratic in last section of vid ok..
4.um,is the krog ms-20 non linear hp mk|| zdf working like a lp instead? seems to cut top,not bottom here atmo...>?
5. noticing how if pause on transport is enabled- some functions cease immediately--when transport is stopped playback_ plug will run over for certain time_then the spline points become "inactive"- the plugin,or at least some controls..> basically dies,if playback is not running ok... think this is old..>?
6. doh,forgot to add,== double click reset is not working for controls below threshold still.. cannot dial in the exact same default settings with mouse alone ok..

vid link-> https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gua...qqWZL9G9p/view
^must get that cursor colour changed! can't see it in vid very well =soz!

thanx4time+efforts to date! =great m8!
all the additions..spartan mode etc etc-- very kool sai'ke!!
does the friendly chicken,give you strength ?!

*note to devs= that 5:54min vid - took almost 45mins to render >using new 5.97v. of reaper = pain.. sighzzzzzzzzz.

Last edited by Bri1; 02-22-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: 1xtra
Old 02-22-2019, 05:46 PM   #290
sai'ke

EpicSounds; The blurry font is an issue on mac and linux it seems. If you press L, you can make the font slightly larger (which is mostly there for Mac and Linux).
Sju; I fixed the scrollwheel issue when opening a combobox after scrolling.

Thanks Bri1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
hey-who....
tiny update: had a quick blast and finding a couple of things to note perhaps...
video shows a few different issues :
1. the shaper threshold only seems active when shaper is 'engaged'- user can still grab graphic threshold line bar- but no update on slider there- seems ok_when enabled..jfyi..
This was actually a speed optimization before, but it made little sense, since it wasn't saving much and only adds confusion
Fixed.

Quote:
2. still noticing how spline points can become entangled with the shaper dropdown box--if point goes over box,it's very hard to recover that point..? (why moving that dropbox out of graph window was suggested actually)
Whereto though? I do want it very close to the waveshaper to make sure that it's easy to see what it is associated with. Folding it away is not something I want.
For now, I modified it so that a spline node is always considered fully on top and that the combobox doesn't open when you click a node that's over it?

Quote:
3. after some quick randomizingz..noticed a glitch with the lfo matrix-- can you see how it behaves with certain settings?? very erratic in last section of vid ok..
I don't think that's a bug. That's just the random variable updating at 10 Hz, which is quite fast. The shape is different every time a new random variable is drawn (10x per seconds in this case).

Quote:
4.um,is the krog ms-20 non linear hp mk|| zdf working like a lp instead? seems to cut top,not bottom here atmo...>?
Correct. Fixed.

Quote:
5. noticing how if pause on transport is enabled- some functions cease immediately--when transport is stopped playback_ plug will run over for certain time_then the spline points become "inactive"- the plugin,basically dies,if playback is not running ok... think this is old..>?
Good find! Yeah. That's correct. The moment reaper shuts down audio updating of the plugin, the spline updating also dies. While I agree that it's kind of annoying, this is a very deep design issue that I can't fix without risking introducing a ton of new bugs. Only the spline should be affected by this and only when there is no audio processing going on at all.

The reason is that the spline generation code is done on the audio thread. This is kind of important, because otherwise, the graphics thread and audio thread would be able to touch the spline while a sample is being processed (this used to cause some weird pops and graphical glitches (you probably remember from older versions). As a fix, I made sure that all the spline updating is always performed synchronized with the audio thread. The flipside of that is that when no audio processing is going on, the spline appears dead :/

Quote:
Of course!
Old 02-22-2019, 05:48 PM   #291
Bri1
Banned

oh++ also forgot to mention..great timing. =)
filther in it's current state can also be used as a basic type of synthesis generator! obviously,the key tracking and cross modulations come in handy for that type of experiences.. nice overtones can be created and reshaped on the fly=
2 suggestions--
1.is dossiblez? for a small lag control for some of the newer lfo shape types?? =liking the shapes,but they kinda make clicks/pops unless the mod amount is taken waaay down globally..just needs a tiny smooth there imo..nicer.
2.any chance of swapping out the fft analysis for your sonogram style view as well? =er.

ta.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:31 AM   #292
Eliseat

Quote:
1.is dossiblez? for a small lag control for some of the newer lfo shape types?? =liking the shapes,but they kinda make clicks/pops unless the mod amount is taken waaay down globally..just needs a tiny smooth there imo..nicer.
Yes, this is obviously what I was talking about some days ago. It mostly happens if the on/off LFOs get outside of the slider range of cutoff or resonance. And I also guess it only needs a tiny smoothing to avoid these hard cuts.

Sai'ke, I think I'm not a good reference to check out cpu spike problems as Filther just behaves really weird. As you mentioned, it could be just to much cpu usage. I remember I had similar problems once using mrelwoods compressor and limiter. But I just can't get behind it.

Some days ago I disabled all LookAheads and didn't run into trouble anymore. At least not as heavy as before. Peaks or overload/adding up cpu usage still happens after a while. But no crackling occurs.
Yesterday I made a quick test and switched thru LookAhead enabled presets and it also made no trouble. It now looks like chaotic mood changes of my system. щ(゜ロ゜щ)
What I can tell is, that presets which are using around 2% cpu will be consuming around 6% cpu after a peak once happened. And if it happens I can clearly see how the cpu usage increases more and more even without any changing on the parameters from my side.

The big questions is: Are there other people experiencing this? Bri? Fox?

Okay, now follows the new base flattery with tiny request afterwards.
I really like the new Octaver and quickly made 10 presets with very diffuse/dissonant/key destroying character. My question is: Would it make sense to also add an upOctaver? As I used the Modulon to create harmonic overtones in key, this maybe also could help to make basses crisper.

Quote:
As I'm not a native speaker it is often very difficult to understand your posts. Is this kind of a youth jargon? And why the comma?

Greetings
Eli
Old 02-23-2019, 05:26 AM   #293
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
As I'm not a native speaker it is often very difficult to understand your posts. Is this kind of a youth jargon?

haha- well_we speak in many tongues and riddles just humour us..

a comma implies a,............pause, of some kind.. =)
am not getting total pc meltdown using this quite yet (system is fairly competent) but! some randomizing is making a few system coughs and splutters occasionally-
filtering is a heavy process in all ways i have used it to date-- very much like release times on synths/samplers can add up with a multiplying set of layered instructions..repeating over n over- loops within loops = expensive process sometimes.
if your having sluggish behaviours- filters are 1 place to look @ to save cpu cycles for sure.
Eliseat- i asked you a question before: do you not want any answer for that question? ...thinking that will help you..

cheerz!
Old 02-23-2019, 05:55 AM   #294
Eliseat

Okay, it happened just a few minutes ago. I used a preset which needs about 3% cpu. While editing it suddenly got a huge peak until 10% cpu usage. It got back for a short while but then wasn't able to recover anymore. And all other presets too. They consume suddenly more than they did before. What could trigger this? Is it an overheating of CPU? Or does it need another core and can't handle it? It is like a switch on/off error which appears after a certain point is reached and only gets to normal state after rebooting system or restarting Reaper after a while.

It is strange! /(⚆_⚆)

Here is the video how it happened. I can create a control video which shows that exactly the same presets only need around 2% (with video capturing at the same time around 3-4%).

https://mega.nz/#!TqJiAIhZ!toWNnyMDu...DQGWvjbQaymMik
Old 02-23-2019, 06:01 AM   #295
Eliseat

Quote:
Eliseat- i asked you a question before: do you not want any answer for that question? ...thinking that will help you..
Oh, didn't see this! But now I'm curious.

Do you really have an answer to the preset automation problem in Reaper? I know there are some MIDI tools but they only offer MIDI restricted handling aka only 128 presets AND only by numbers! Which is - of course - not very useful if you have way more than 128 AND unnumbered presets.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:31 AM   #296
Eliseat

Here is the control video: If you reduce the cpu usage by 2.5% you get the original preset consumption without video capturing taking place.

Notice that the heaviest presets like WickingAxe need now as much as the simplest 1-2% presets needed after the CPU peak in the first video.

https://mega.nz/#!DiJgTCBS!dwfeu7zt1...xjlR8Ldp_R4NCU

Don't get annoyed by the pumping compressor because I was just testing those techno like presets which need this effect. But there is still no clue of whats going on. If nobody else gets this behavior its clearly on my side.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #297
sai'ke

Eliseat, did you see my last two posts? Thread moves fast

- I added a graphics-light mode you can try. Hit SHIFT + G, this renders only those things you really need to control the sound.
- I found a bug in the lookhead code which fixes an issue that could have caused issues when used in conjunction with modulation module.
- I looked at both videos side by side for a while, but can't really tell any difference in what's happening other than the CPU, which is very peculiar.
- The issue could be anything, but yes, if it is just you, then a heat issue would be my first guess. Can you run a CPU/GPU temperature monitor to see what's going on? Is your computer dusty? Mine always gets a ton of cat fur dust inside, and vacuuming it out every now and then is really needed for me . If it's the CPU, reseating the heat sink might help. If it's the GPU, then I don't know :/

Also, I added an up octaver in the last one, as well as some more modulation madness thingies.

Bri;
I added smoothing. It's super well hidden*. Good luck finding it
* it's the top right corner of the "visual display". You'll notice it's enabled because also the preview shows the smoothing effect.
And no plans to add a sonogram, sorry. I really think that's best left to a dedicated plug. More stuff equals more gremlins, and I'd like to eventually get to a situation where one can really rely on this thing behaving predictably
Old 02-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #298
Eliseat

Quote:
If it's the CPU, reseating the heat sink might help.
Um, this would be a bit to much demanded. ◉_◉

Many thanks for the new added features. Of course, the two presets in those videos are identical. I also got all the nice features like shift-g, LookAhead bug etc. (Many thanks for that!) But it wasn't relevant to the actual case as this preset doesn't use LookAhead and also isn't very CPU heavy. It just happened that it did increase from 2% to over 10% just after moving a fader. I found a little tool on google which got recommended in a forum. Maybe this can give me more information if my beloved i7 gets fever.

Many thanks for all the goodies. Now I will take a brief look into the UpOctaver! /(。♥‿♥。)
Old 02-23-2019, 11:48 AM   #299
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Do you really have an answer to the preset automation problem in Reaper?
heh-hey- um well...i would not call it a perfect answer or solution-but with filther try this--> (not all vst need this option,apparently)

this^ should then work if you add midi to a track and send some bank/programme change data from the cc window- you may need to play with this to really get to grips with how it all works-- i actually struggle with it practically speaking -(especially if your looping over a section-good grief it's confusing!!) +reaper is not showing any cc values unless you look at 'event properties'..
because midi is old,and new vst's can go well over the imagined preset amounts-- some devices have literally thousands of presets--old midi did not see that comming i guess.....
remember: midi2 is probably going to appear very soon-- so brace yourself for some upgrades..k.!
if you need a video or something else to demo further_please just ask.
happytohelp. +(think this can even be lfo modded!)
1 can get to thousands of presets this way vst wise ok-easy aiiite!

Quote:
I added smoothing. It's super well hidden*. Good luck finding it
grrrrrrrreat! that's really fabotastical--ty.
cockos still have me confused about their 'hidden' thing in credits.. grrr! can't find that 1 yet!! what is it?!! lolz

totally agree about getting this final+as stable as doable.
just exellent.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #300
Eliseat

Hole sheet!!

This Octaver (up) pressures the hell out of a plain rectangle osc. An absolutely unexpected but stunning effect. And metallic and Frazzle! YES! Those really offer a great range of industrial/technical sound design too! LOVE them! -`ღ´- d[-_-]b

Whoohooo!

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2019, 12:32 PM   #301
Eliseat

Quote:
heh-hey- um well...i would not call it a perfect answer or solution-but with filther try this--> (not all vst need this option,apparently)
That's nice from you trying to help me. I already know about this way. But it doesn't help to much as I'm far beyond 128 presets. I'm pretty disappointed that Reapers doesn't offer a way to automate its own FX presets natively. Anyway. I will find a way. There is a tool which can sort Reaper presets from outside Reaper. Maybe I could just move all fitting presets together and then changing them on the fly like they are ordered.
But many thanks for your help.

And Sai'ke! What kind of a monster did you create with this Octaver (up) thing? It builds such a fat pressure, its nearly impossible to withstand this beast after a few minutes at higher volume. Holy cow! My head hurts!

My first Octaver (up) preset is called: "HellOfAirPressure MIDI Bass"
That says all. But what does this thing do? I can't hear a one octave up version of the source. Its more like its carving fatness inside any waveform.
And if you use a normal filter with modulation after it, the sound reminds me to a song called "Hypnotic Tango" which I liked a lot when I wasn't even a teeny yet. Maybe this was my first filter-love-fetish trigger as this synth bass made such nice tingling feelings in the belly.

Edit: Found it! Oh yes, this could be the beginning of it all: Fat filter bass. Some dark, some lovely melodies. Mystical and erotic elements. This was - after Blue Monday and Living On Video - kind of the expansion of my consciousness while getting into puberty. Gosh! This was so awesome!

Lovely basses!

Oh my ... had just to cry after watching those two videos. (⊙︿⊙✿)

Last edited by Eliseat; 02-23-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #302
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I already know about this way. But it doesn't help to much as I'm far beyond 128 presets. I'm pretty disappointed that Reapers doesn't offer a way to automate its own FX presets natively.

lol-ok..it will,can + does it all this way-- how else do you see this happening?
reacontrol midi does not even show programme change -but it will see bank/programme select + cc0 bank select..
will ul a gif to show this working..(without reabank file)

i guess it's down to user to figure best uses of what is 'provided'..
sec for gif..
user kinda needs to get msb+lsb+value control.

if you look at xpand2 or something with tons of presets-play with cc and you will soon 'work it out' .maybe...
Old 02-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #303
TonE

Best would be if Reaper would offer something what synth1 can do by default:
- file switching via bank select (not available yet, afaik, but synth1 has)
- program switching via program change (what we have already)
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #304
Bri1
Banned

hmmm- it would be most interesting to see how the 'pro's' handle all this-- heh
anybody care to ask kenny/reaperblog/\ or any other decent tutorial video makers demo this properly?

i'm sure both new+seasoned users will find that usefull..perhaps.. .. .
from the horses mouth-is of course,the most direct way to gain knowledge on..> horses..?
+ when switching presets-1 must be aware the great likelyhood of clicks+ random gains or other attenuations along the way--->
automating bypass for eg: is often a poor choice..worth considering what 1 actually wants to switch for <--
automating reaper fx dry/wet can also create phasing issues..
mid performance changes are usually done 'on the quiet'
some triggers need hit just before a beat or they may be too late otherwise.
+some presets can even take minutes to load up!!

Last edited by Bri1; 02-23-2019 at 01:15 PM. Reason: 1xtra
Old 02-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #305
Eliseat

Okay, after watching the nostalgic videos a was really melancholic and had to drink some booze. But after trying out the reacontrol device I had to laugh again. This is so spartan and NOT user friendly! Can't believe it. AND it stops at exactly 255 where it starts again with preset #1 in the list.

As I already mentioned: This shouldn't handled like MIDI because it isn't. Those rpl presets aren't saved in banks or anything. They have no restrictions. So it would be the least to expect from Reaper that it fucking handles them like that. EVERY stupid parameter can control any other stupid parameter from any device or source. Only those Reaper presets stand out negatively. Why??

I just wanted to make a video where I show a bit of Filthers abilities by switching thru certain presets all across the list in a fitting order. Didn't mean to dig into manuals and forum posts for such a simple task.

What I need is a representation of the preset list where I can choose the preset by name. Like testing the presets, finding a good one, getting into the automation list and choosing the same preset, setting the point in time where to change to it!

Meh, this is so ... (Θ︹Θ)ს
Old 02-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #306
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
What I need is a representation of the preset list where I can choose the preset by name.
heh- try this - call it the urrrmm.... preset buster >?
load into reacontrol midi-and simply wheelscroll over the boxes with mouse.
all you need do is find which preset is which+give each the names=sorted..no?
thats enough to get any1 started..maybe..
otherwise-learn msb+lsb+programme #s.
remember,0 may,or may not be: 1.ok
Old 02-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #307
Eliseat

Quote:
heh- try this - call it the urrrmm.... preset buster >?
load into reacontrol midi-and simply wheelscroll over the boxes with mouse.
all you need do is find which preset is which+give each the names=sorted..no?
thats enough to get any1 started..maybe..
otherwise-learn msb+lsb+programme #s.
remember,0 may,or may not be: 1.ok
Thanks, Bri. I will take a look into it tomorrowww.

Beside that I got an idea. WOuldn'nt it be possible tro edit an exported rpl file wwith the preset list to convert it in somekind of a reabank file? Maybe?

Have to sleep noww,
good night.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #308
Bri1
Banned

lol- ALL becomes possible-when you become the ALL.
opening the mind is not such a bad thing after....all
Old 02-24-2019, 02:47 AM   #309
Eliseat

Quote:
lol- ALL becomes possible-when you become the ALL.
opening the mind is not such a bad thing after....all
Your posts are often like riddles. Unsolvable riddles!

And Sai'ke, I noticed heavy ducking or limiting in one of the new filters. I was a bit tipsy last night (actually not a bit) and wondered why the signal dropped significantly after every parameter change. Is this a new function to solve those infinite level peaks?

I also noticed a tiny blue square in the LFO preview icon. Does it make any sense or is this a GUI bug?

Anyway. I wasn't very productive last night.
Greetings
Eli
Old 02-24-2019, 04:58 AM   #310
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I also noticed a tiny blue square in the LFO preview icon. Does it make any sense or is this a GUI bug?

^ heh-makes sense to me- seems bugfree!
do try to keep up in class.... =)
1 will come to realize- this is neither oldschool,or,newschool-- this is ALLschool.
1 for all+all for 1.

Last edited by Bri1; 02-24-2019 at 05:07 AM. Reason: 1xtra
Old 02-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #311
Eliseat

Quote:
^ heh-makes sense to me- seems bugfree!
do try to keep up in class.... =)
1 will come to realize- this is neither oldschool,or,newschool-- this is ALLschool.
1 for all+all for 1.
What the ... ??? (❀」╹□╹)」

Okay, it says LFO smoothing, but if I click on it, the animated LFO icon gets outside its boundaries and creates weird noises. The Frazzle filter needs several seconds to recover from any parameter changes. That's all for now.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #312
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
What the ... ??? (❀」╹□╹)」

Okay, it says LFO smoothing, but if I click on it, the animated LFO icon gets outside its boundaries and creates weird noises. The Frazzle filter needs several seconds to recover from any parameter changes. That's all for now.
Thanks. You found two bugs! \o/

The first was that the LFO didn't play nice when center was enabled. This is now fixed.
The second was I had uploaded the wrong version of frazzle (I prototype them separately) x_x.

Both are fixed now.

Also, new module:

This thing can make sounds a lot fatter and dirtier, but can also blow up in your face horribly. Use entirely at your own risk. Be extremely careful using this thing on resonant sounds. Non-linear filters tend to behave a little nicer with it (since they just saturate). Also, note that this feedback does not come free. It costs you two nodes on the spline, that can no longer be placed when the feedback is active. So if you suddenly see note 7 and 8 disappear, please do not report that as a bug

The feedback simply goes from the end of the chain, back to the start. It also saturates.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:41 AM   #313
Eliseat

Everyone thinks: Ah, Sai'ke makes a break. He probably wants a bit of distance after weeks of intense filter tweaking. But then ... - he just comes around with a new crazy idea. Holy cow! (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

The last days I ran into a weird hearing blindness. I got a bit depressive and wasn't able to hear my own presets the same way I'm used to. This feels like your brain just can't handle computing sophisticated sounds anymore. I really hate it. But today I feel better.

And now I understand why you weren't able to reproduce the LFO outside boundaries crackle. It was the center function - that I use really often - which covered it. Glad you found a solution for it. This and the real Frazzle just will be tested today! Of course I'm also excited about the node-stealing function!

Many thanks, Sai'ke. d[♥‿♥]b
Old 02-25-2019, 03:18 AM   #314
sai'ke

Ah yeah, that happens sometimes.

I've been taking your advice recently and produced a song with nothing but simple oscs and Filthers just for kicks. Was pretty fun! Pity that it is so CPU hungry though. All those tanh's come at a price. I wonder if LUTs are fast enough in JSFX in that they would result in a speed benefit or maybe just some pade or inverse sqrt approximant. Maybe worth exploring. I wonder if abstracting the tanh to be replaced by different economical approximations would incur a big speed loss due to the function call. I'd imagine jsfx inlines this stuff, but I'm not sure

Yeah, that tiny button smoothes the LFO. It prevents steps from becoming too steep. This is to avoid clicks.

The feedback has to be dosed very carefully. I'm still doubting whether to make the feedback gain logarithmic or not (currently it's linear). Logarithmic would give you more precision in the low range. Be careful as this may still be subject to change as it develops.

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-25-2019 at 03:42 AM. Reason: musing about approximants
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #315
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Also, new module:

This thing can make sounds a lot fatter and dirtier, but can also blow up in your face horribly.

! sai'ke! this would seem really kool- but just had a look and plug is now going off screen--can't even use this tbh...sighz..

^this means am kinda forced to switch screen resolutions to use such a thing-- sigh again..

thanx-but -- sighing many times with reaper...not your bad..
this is happening with a lot of extended param jsfx...
as you may have seen- i like to dock plugins n stuff--
some vst are hitting a freekout state just by docking them.
jsfx mainly seem fine docked..
Old 02-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #316
Sju

Thanks for the updates again!

Mousewheel now working like a charm. The recent additions like this and the AGC speed up the workflow so much!

The feedback path is a great addition, already found a lot of useful sounds there.

Hmm, one more thing is still bugging me about the UX: the preamp gain affecting the RMS detection. Tweaking the saturation amount always means having to have to adjust the threshold too. I wonder if the RMS mode could be made to optionally use pre-pregain signal for detection? (and maybe even external sidechain input possibly? )
Old 02-25-2019, 04:35 PM   #317
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliseat View Post
And now I understand why you weren't able to reproduce the LFO outside boundaries crackle. It was the center function - that I use really often - which covered it. Glad you found a solution for it. This and the real Frazzle just will be tested today! Of course I'm also excited about the node-stealing function!
Ghehe, no prob. If you want some fatness/resonance fighting, keep the delay firmly placed at zero. The feedback delay chain has the exact opposite polarity of the resonance in most chains, so in this mode, it will fight with the resonance to sort of choke in on itself (see diode ladder or ms-20 for this effect). This can make the resonance less ringey, more chunky and a lot more pleasant to listen to.

If you want more phasey effects, bump up the delay, but then you're in the danger zone, because once resonance starts boosting resonance, things get real dicey.

I would recommend staying clear of crazy distortion when using feedback.

Quote:
! sai'ke! this would seem really kool- but just had a look and plug is now going off screen--can't even use this tbh...sighz..
Yeah, the plug is a little bigger than I would like. I will try not to make it even taller

Quote:
Hmm, one more thing is still bugging me about the UX: the preamp gain affecting the RMS detection. Tweaking the saturation amount always means having to have to adjust the threshold too. I wonder if the RMS mode could be made to optionally use pre-pregain signal for detection? (and maybe even external sidechain input possibly? )
Triggering by the Pre-Gain RMS has been on my wishlist too. Sidechain is a nice idea and has also been added. It's listening to pins 3 and 4.
I did have to change the feedback implementation a little bit. I hope this didn't change the sounds you found. If so, I can make a legacy mode.

Changelog:
+ Tweaks feedback (allow time x8 and x16)
+ Added option to monitor pre RMS or a side chain (channel 3 and 4)
+ Fix bug with curves not disabling properly on the dynamic window.

Last edited by sai'ke; 02-25-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Added little image :)
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #318
Sju

Wow that was fast, thank you! No need for legacy mode, it's beta after all, and I can just render the stuff if something changed drastically. Sidechain mode is great!

Couple minor UI things:

- Feedback slider doesn't have the modulation indicator line
- Subtle Stereo mode is missing a tooltip entry

EDIT: hmm, it seems like the feedback delay amount might be changing between:

1. Have it at 0, start playback
2. Move it to non-zero and back to 0 again

sounds like it's not exactly at zero when you start the playback.

Last edited by Sju; 02-26-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:09 PM   #319
foxAsteria

Yo dawg I had a few filthy requests...just a simple telephone and/or megaphone filter? These are classic filter fx imo that don't often feature in other filters. I know they could be simulated easily enough with what we got, but I was hoping for more of a quick emulation effect if not too much trouble.

A bigger idea is morphing between the two filters. Maybe not possible without more sliders, but it would be pretty sick if we could fade between them with dynamics and lfo. Perhaps as an extra channel mode? Idk.

And a quick question: which line controls the background color (black), I couldn't seem to find it.

Btw, AGC implementation on the randomizer is most excellent and even responds faster and smoother than when it was manual.

Thanks dude!

Last edited by foxAsteria; 02-26-2019 at 03:12 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:39 PM   #320
sai'ke

Quote:
Wow that was fast, thank you! No need for legacy mode, it's beta after all, and I can just render the stuff if something changed drastically. Sidechain mode is great!

Couple minor UI things:

- Feedback slider doesn't have the modulation indicator line
- Subtle Stereo mode is missing a tooltip entry

EDIT: hmm, it seems like the feedback delay amount might be changing between:

1. Have it at 0, start playback
2. Move it to non-zero and back to 0 again

sounds like it's not exactly at zero when you start the playback.
Yeah. It was being reset in the init X_X. This is what I get for coding while tired . Fixed. Also added descriptions for the missing modes and a modulation indicator line.