Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-02-2013, 11:57 PM   #41
Stu
Human being with feelings

I think my template is saved using the K5 player plugin which has a different .dll from the full version, so it would probably load and tell you it's missing the plugin. I did save .nki files with all the routing intact and those should load fine in K5 full, if I get chance I'll put them up on Dropbox later today.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #42
Barksy

well, there are a number of suggestions here how to do this, but it just isn't going to happen for me tonight. I feel i have followed all the suggestions, and been here for hours trying to get it to work with the Virtual midi KB as well as my Korg Synth and Yamaha Keyboard.

Maybe it something i am missing in Reaper.

Tomorrow is another day

bastard!
Barksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #43
Barksy

Guys any help here would be massively appreciated! i have wrtten exactly what i am doing:

I open reaper, start a new project.

I start a new track and set input to Midi Fasttrack C600 External which my Korg Midi Synth is connected to. It works for absolutely every other midi based application, so it is my settings that are the issue.

I open FX using the FX button on the track and load Kontakt 5 (64 out)

In Kontakt i go to the mixer and click on 'Add Channels'. In quantity I enter 12; Number of Channels I leave as 2. For the Soundcard/Host output I choose Kt. st.1{1}. I tick delete existing channels before creating new ones.

I then save current output section state to VST Plugins (as per ED gif).

Still in Kontakt in the mixer section, i go through starting from st.1 to st.12 and change the inputs.
The first (st.1), which will be KICK is already routed to Kt st.1{1} & Kt st.1{2} -- plugin out #1 & #2.
The 2nd (st.2) which will be SNARE is routed to Kt. aux 1{1}& Kt. aux 1{2} -- plugin out #3 & #4.
The 3rd (st.3)is routed to Kt. aux 2{1}& Kt. aux 2{2} -- plugin out #5 & #6.
The 4th (st.4)is routed to Kt. aux 3{1}& Kt. aux 3{2} -- plugin out #7 & #8.
The 5th (st.5)is routed to Kt. aux 4{1}& Kt. aux 4{2} -- plugin out #9 & #10.
From the 6th (st.6) to the 12th (st.12), they are routed from Kt.unassigned {1} & Kt.unassigned {2} -- plugin out #9 & #10.......up to Kt.unassigned {13} & Kt.unassigned {14} -- plugin out #23 & #24.
The AUX are currently --not connected--.

I then build 16 channels of midi in reaper via the FX page left hand column. I now have the main track (receive) and 16 midi tracks (Sends).

All the midi tracks have monitor input on and Tracks are armed "Record input (audio or midi)". The main track in Reaper that loaded Kontakt is not in record mode nor has monitor input on.

In Reaper from Midi 1 to Midi 16 I change the input to MIDI: Midi Fasttrack C600 External: Channel 1 through to 16 respectively. The main track is set to MIDI: Midi Fasttrack C600 External: All chennels

I then go back to Kontakt and load Studio Drummer. All Channel Outputs are currently set to Master and at this stage I can hear all tracks being played through st.1 in Kontakt and out of the main track in Reaper that loaded Kontakt. In saying that, it sounds dull using the Korg Synth compared to using the virtual keyboard in Kontakt??
Still in Kontakt, I go to Mixer:Settings, and in Channel change the Output for Kick to st.1 and go through each snare, hihat, tom etc and change them from st.2 to st.12 respectively.

Now, when using the Kontakt virtual keyboard, all tracks seem dull except the kick. I can see the faders working for each output in Kontakt mixer when i play snare toms etc.., but all tracks output are only heard through st.1 (The Kick Track which might explain why The Kick sounds fine but all the others seem dull or far away) Playing with the faders for Snare and toms etc, do absolutely nothing.

In Reaper, i can see i am picking up signal in the main track, and for the hell of it when recording, no midi data at all.

it seems as though as soon as i change the Channel Output in SD, the sound get's dulled (the kick sounds great when pointed to master, but crap when pointed to St.1 or st.2 etc).

tearing my hair out! i am hoping someone can point out the glaringly obvious, before i have to go into more detail, but I have pretty much covered it!
Old 08-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #44
Stu

That's a lot to go through so I'll just start here: do you actually need 16 channels of MIDI? Unless you are wanting all your MIDI recorded to separate tracks, you only need to record MIDI on the track that has the K5 plugin on, you can still route all the audio out to separate tracks but without the added complication.

Also, be aware that in its default state the kits load with processing applied with the effects in the Studio Drummer mixer, including the master output of that. When you route channels out separately they are no longer being processed by SD's master out section so if there is any EQ or compression going on you will lose that - but usually if you want separate audio outputs it is because you want to process things yourself.

Try loading a preset that has no effects at all applied, If I remember correctly that's the preset called 'innit' or something like that, if you can't find it simply turn off all the processing and see if the sound still changes when you change the output routing.

Lastly, when you press keys on K5 keyboard I think it plays the kit part at maximum velocity, so if you then press keys on your Korg, unless you hit maximum velocity you will obviously get a different sound, and at higher velocities all the kits in SD do sound brighter - could this be why you perceive them as being 'dull'?

You're nearly there now, keep at it!
Old 08-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #45
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barksy View Post
it seems as though as soon as i change the Channel Output in SD, the sound get's dulled (the kick sounds great when pointed to master, but crap when pointed to St.1 or st.2 etc).
You're probably just hearing the Kontakt FX for all but the Kik.

Did you do the same for the Kontakt audio outputs that you did for the 16 midi tracks, load all the audio outputs from the FX menu so that they appear in Reaper. When you do that you'll probably get 32 stereo tracks in Reaper but you can delete all but the 12 stereo tracks that you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
That's a lot to go through so I'll just start here: do you actually need 16 channels of MIDI? Unless you are wanting all your MIDI recorded to separate tracks, you only need to record MIDI on the track that has the K5 plugin on, you can still route all the audio out to separate tracks but without the added complication.
That's a good question, although I don't like to put my midi tracks on the same track as Kontakt, I usually have 2 separate midi tracks for for drums, one for Kik, Snare, and Toms, the other for Hat, Ride, and other cymbals. The only reason I have two midi tracks is for better control of the velocities.

Are the kit pieces all separated in their own instruments in Kontakt Barksy?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:47 AM   #46
Barksy

It is a good question, but when it's available, i want to know how to do it ..and work out the benefits for me for myself.

Tod, i believe i did all that, however I only get the amount of tracks in Reaper that i have set up in the Kontakt mixer.

No biggie guys, maybe using the processing of the SD mixer is better off anyway. But i will surely be back to tell you when i have figured it out!

Appreciate your efforts guys, special mention to Stu!
Old 08-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #47
CasperRosewater

Maybe check out this guys 1+ hour video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci_1cwuDBwU

He uses ProTools but I managed to get the same result in Reaper first try.

Not only that he teaches you how to mix drums in Kontakt Komplete like a pro. Great instruction and great video.
CasperRosewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #48
Barksy

Well, finally worked it out Whether I use it or not, but it helps me understand now how to route multiple intruments in Kontakt.

To be honest, i don't know what i did all that different and think surely I configured this way in my many different attempts previously. It's amazing reading and watching videos how everyone does it a little bit differently.

The big one that i don't think i saw before though was my main track containing Kontakt Studio Drummer's meter kind of showed like it was showing separate meters for each track it was sending to.

oh, in the excitement of it all, I haven't actually recorded anything yet! Does it record midi/wav to the main track or spread it over the 12 drum tracks, I'll soon work out.

Thanks guys, I've only ever really recorded guitar, bass and keys, and this software gig is new to me!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #49
Barksy

can someone clear up something. Using Studio drummer i can set up a track for each snare, kick, tom etc, and record wav files to each track relating to the snare, kick, tom etc, but can this be captured as midi? Anything I have tried is not working!
Old 03-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #50
mudman

Thanks EvilDragon, made it really simple. I was pulling teeth.
mudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:07 PM   #51
Peterk312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
...be aware that in its default state the kits load with processing applied with the effects in the Studio Drummer mixer, including the master output of that. When you route channels out separately they are no longer being processed by SD's master out section so if there is any EQ or compression going on you will lose that - but usually if you want separate audio outputs it is because you want to process things yourself.
I stumbled on this old thread because I was trying to solve a problem, and after reading the above quote I'm not sure it's possible to do.

When using a dum kit like Abbey Road Modern Drummer, why can't you set up REAPER and Kontakt 5 player so that:

1. All tracks in the Kontakt mixer go through the Kontakt master

2. Each track also gets assigned a track at the Kontakt output section to be sent to individual tracks in REAPER.

3. The Kontakt master is the main virtual instrument track in REAPER

The way I'm doing it the tracks at the Kontakt mixer can't be assigned individual outputs that correspond to tracks in REAPER unless you bypass the Kontakt master bus. In other words, once you've set up individual outputs in Kontakt you can choose the track output you created OR the master. You bypass the master section if you select the output track that you create, which means you can't use the EQ and other effects available at the Kontakt master section. Isn't there a way to rout the sound so that you still get the master bus with all its processing as a separate track in REAPER?
Peterk312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:59 PM   #52
Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk312 View Post
Isn't there a way to rout the sound so that you still get the master bus with all its processing as a separate track in REAPER?
Wow this thread is old! Although I don't currently have Kontakt installed on this new PC I'm pretty certain there really isn't a way to do that because of the way the mixer is configured. Channels of a mixer always feed the master, so routing them out of the plugin would always remove them from the master buss. The only way I can think of that you could get what you want would be to drive two instances of Kontakt from the same MIDI file and set them both up differently BUT - and this is a big BUT - due to the fact that these libraries use random/round robin samples the two instances would not always be outputting exactly the same samples as each other, which will lead to all kinds of odd sounds as things occasionally don't match up.

Is there a specific reason you would want a stereo mix (with processing) alongside unprocessed individual outs?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #53
Peterk312

I think I'm just looking for an easy way to access the faders that are in the Kontakt plugin without needing to click on the REAPER FX button.

In fact, I'm wondering if it's even worth it to do multiple outputs in REAPER with Kontakt for an instrument like Abbey Road Modern Drummer if you want to use the EQ and other effects available (transient control, tape simulator, etc.)

Maybe I should be looking at a different way to access the plugin -- like docking it on a tab (if this is possible).
Old 10-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #54
Swamp Ape

Do the mixer faders show up in the parameter modulation section of the reaper mixer section? If so, you could just add rows for each one you want to control. Works with JS mixers, but no idea if you can do this with kontakt or abby road.

Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #55
Peterk312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Ape View Post
Do the mixer faders show up in the parameter modulation section...
Yes. I can actually set this up at the track control panel and the knobs move the mixer faders in the Kontakt player:

That's nice, but those little knobs are tough to tweak.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #56
Swamp Ape

Holding ctrl/cmnd will give you much finer control.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #57
Peterk312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Ape View Post
Holding ctrl/cmnd will give you much finer control.
I see it works to slow down your mouse movement. Works on all controls for finer adjustments. Nice tip! Thanks.