Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 08-07-2018, 01:58 AM   #281
juliansader
Human being with feelings

To find the magic numbers, look in the "Command ID" column of the Actions list. (You can right-click on an action and copy the command ID, for easy pasting into a script.)

For zooming vertically, you can use these IDs:
* Zoom in vertically (ID: 40111)
* Zoom out vertically (ID: 40112)

These actions have the same IDs in both the Main section and MIDI editor section, so you can use the same numbers for MIDIEditor_OnCommand and Main_OnCommand.

I have uploaded a "zoom vertically" variant of the script to ReaPack.

(BTW, when the new version of SWS is released, these js_Mousewheel - Control scripts will not be necessary any more, and the editing scripts will be able to track mousewheel movement without any helper script.)
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #282
pbattersby

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
I have uploaded a "zoom vertically" variant of the script to ReaPack.
Thanks! Glad I don't have to use my own customized orphaned version of one of your scripts.

Quote:
(BTW, when the new version of SWS is released, these js_Mousewheel - Control scripts will not be necessary any more, and the editing scripts will be able to track mousewheel movement without any helper script.)
That's good news. That should make the setup for the use of your scripts even easier.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #283
reapero

Quote:

Hope this doesnt take too long!
reapero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #284
ClassicMan

I've been using the "Insert linear or shaped ramps between selected CCs or pitches in lane under mouse" to draw straight gradual crescendos and decrescendos with absolute ease just as I want them.

Suddenly I had a message saying this has been updated and a new version was installed. Now I no longer have the small dialogue window and, instead, ramps appear that are not what I need and, no matter how much I move the mouse, I cannot get what I want.

Previously, I used to have a small dialogue window where I could specify exactly what I needed. Is it no longer possible to revert back to this window?

If this is no longer available, is it possible for me to download the previous version of the script? I have sent juliansader a PM with this rquest but would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks.
ClassicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 AM   #285
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicMan View Post
Previously, I used to have a small dialogue window where I could specify exactly what I needed. Is it no longer possible to revert back to this window?

If this is no longer available, is it possible for me to download the previous version of the script?
I'm sorry (and surprised) that you don't prefer the fancy new version. If you could elaborate on the problem, perhaps we can fix it?

I have attached the old versions to this post:
Old 08-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #286
ClassicMan

Quote:
I'm sorry (and surprised) that you don't prefer the fancy new version. If you could elaborate on the problem, perhaps we can fix it?

I have attached the old versions to this post:
Hello Juliansader,

Thank you so much for your amazing work on your scripts; they are just superb.

Regarding your new version. Well, when I ran your new script, instead of the familiar dialogue window, a ramp appeared between the two selected notes. Although the ramp did adjust as I moved my mouse whatever I tried would not connect the two selected end-points. I was left with gaps

I'm sure this is because I am not understanding it properly and it needs some mouse modifiers. Although I understand using actions and setting default shortcuts I'm not familiar with using mouse modifiers.

Thanks again for all your work and support.

Best wishes,

Michael
Old 08-12-2018, 11:07 AM   #287
juliansader

Ah, the problem is the new "Skip redundant events" feature:

The new versions of all script that insert CCs (such as the LFO Tool, "Draw sine curve in realtime" and "Insert linear or shaped ramps") can optionally skip redundant events, which result in the gaps that you see.

This option is controlled by a separate toggle script: "js_Option - Toggle skip redundant events when inserting CCs", which can be toggled on or off in the Actions list, or linked to a toolbar button.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #288
EvilDragon

Those gaps are good, leave them in. You don't need extraneous CCs with identical values, they are of absolutely no use.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #289
ClassicMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Those gaps are good, leave them in. You don't need extraneous CCs with identical values, they are of absolutely no use.
Hello evil Dragon,

Thanks for that tip.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #290
ClassicMan

Quote:
Ah, the problem is the new "Skip redundant events" feature:

The new versions of all script that insert CCs (such as the LFO Tool, "Draw sine curve in realtime" and "Insert linear or shaped ramps") can optionally skip redundant events, which result in the gaps that you see.

This option is controlled by a separate toggle script: "js_Option - Toggle skip redundant events when inserting CCs", which can be toggled on or off in the Actions list, or linked to a toolbar button.
Hello Juliansader,

Thanks for explaining, that's great.

Just one more question. Having drawn my ramp, how do I accept it and exit. I tried all the usual such as 'Enter' but the ramp continued to adjust when I tried to accept and close.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #291
_Stevie_

You press the same shortcut that you used to execute the script
Old 08-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #292
juliansader

LEFT-DRAG MOUSE MODIFIERS vs SCRIPTS THAT FOLLOW MOUSE MOVEMENT

Some of the MIDI editing scripts (such as Warp, Stretch and Arch) resemble Reaper's own left-drag mouse modifier actions (such as "Draw CCs", Arpeggiate, "Paint notes", etc), in that the scripts follow mouse movement and continue to run until the user stops the script.

However, continuous scripts and mouse modifier action respond differently to shortcut keys:
* To run a mouse modifier action, you press the keyboard modifiers (such as ctrl) and the mouse button together, and then hold them all down while moving the mouse.
* In contrast, to run continuous scripts, shortcut keys work as toggles: Press the shortcut key *once* to start the script and then move the mouse or mousewheel *without* pressing any mouse buttons. Press the shortcut key again once to stop the script.

(The first time that the script is stopped, REAPER will pop up a dialog box asking whether to terminate or restart the script. Select "Terminate" and "Remember my answer for this script".)

(EDIT: This step is an unnecessary complication for new users. If anyone agrees, please support the FR at: Deferred scripts: Let script itself decide whether to terminate or create new instance.)

Last edited by juliansader; 08-12-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:32 PM   #293
HighVoltage

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxkhuweu3g...0loop.gif?dl=0

I can't extend the scripts to the end of the midi clip.
See attached video.
For example i drag the LFO script to the end of the clip, but it wont fill in the last grid value. Only if i move the loop marker further. If there is no loop in the clip, then the same thing happens, only now to the edge of the clip.

This happens with every tool.
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #294
digitalfix

Any change of 1 and 2 sided warp scripts being available for audio?
digitalfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #295
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
I can't extend the scripts to the end of the midi clip.
See attached video.
For example i drag the LFO script to the end of the clip, but it wont fill in the last grid value. Only if i move the loop marker further. If there is no loop in the clip, then the same thing happens, only now to the edge of the clip.

This happens with every tool.
Thanks for letting me know! I've updated these Draw script to v3.51, and they should now snap to the nearest grid instead of the preceding grid.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:06 PM   #296
HighVoltage

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know! I've updated these Draw script to v3.51, and they should now snap to the nearest grid instead of the preceding grid.
And that they do! Thanks a bunch!

Is there a possibility to have the mousewheel sensitivity setting stored in a separate file, so i don't have to edit it every time the plugins get updated?
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #297
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighVoltage View Post
Is there a possibility to have the mousewheel sensitivity setting stored in a separate file, so i don't have to edit it every time the plugins get updated?
Not at the moment, but I will include such a feature in the next version.

(And of course also the suggestion by meradium for sensitivity dependent on mousewheel speed.)
Old 09-14-2018, 05:11 PM   #298
todd_r

Must admit, I got a bit confused with the adding the scripts to the toolbar with mousewheel etc, is there anyway you can export your midi toolbar?
todd_r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 04:22 PM   #299
Tod

Hi Julian, I'm using your script, "Script: js_Draw linear or curved ramps in real time.lua".

It works great but I'm having a little problem with the way it deletes duplicate CCs. If I draw
CCs for a full beat from 64 to 0, it works as it should and the CCs are just 1 value apart.

However, if I draw CCs for a full 1/2 beat from 64 to 0, the CCs are 2 values apart. At a 1/16
note they are 3 values apart.

I've got my "Events per quarter note when drawing in CC lanes" set at 512, so that's not a
problem.

Would that be difficult to fix, or can it be fixed quite easily? Or is there something I can
do on my part?
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:08 PM   #300
juliansader

Thanks for letting me know about this problem.

I didn't expect that anyone would be using such as high "Events per quarter note", so the script sets a ceiling of 128.

I will remove this limit in the next update. In the meantime, you can change the "128" to "512" in line 901 in the script:
Code:
CCdensity = m_floor(math.max(4, math.min(128, math.abs(CCdensity))))
Old 11-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #301
Tod

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know about this problem.

I didn't expect that anyone would be using such as high "Events per quarter note", so the script sets a ceiling of 128.

I will remove this limit in the next update. In the meantime, you can change the "128" to "512" in line 901 in the script:
Code:
CCdensity = m_floor(math.max(4, math.min(128, math.abs(CCdensity))))
Thanks Julian, I will do that, and also thank you for all your wonderful scripts.

EDIT: Okay I opened it up with Notepad+++ and actually the line was on 891. At any rate I fixed it and it's working great.

Thank you thank you.

Last edited by Tod; 11-28-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:56 PM   #302
_Stevie_

@Julian

is there a way, that CC scripts don't quit, when we move the mouse out of the current CC lane?
Old 12-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #303
_Stevie_

And another one: js_Trim notes by drawing a line with the mouse

Could we have the ability to trim the start of notes instead of the end, only?
For creating guitar chord strokes for example.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:27 AM   #304
EvilDragon

You can already create nice strums by using the arpeggiate mouse modifier
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:24 AM   #305
_Stevie_

Thanks ED, completely forgot about that one!
Old 12-24-2018, 04:54 AM   #306
JoostJanssensDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
@Julian

is there a way, that CC scripts don't quit, when we move the mouse out of the current CC lane?
This would actually be a really big one for me! Would make the scripts a lot easier to handle!
JoostJanssensDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #307
_Stevie_

Absolutely, this way we could be less careful with the mouse movements.
This behavior always drove me crazy with Cubase.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:35 PM   #308
tack

Quote:
I wished they didn't do this either. It was one of my first beefs. It appears to be hardcoded, but it'd be awesome if this behaviour could be controlled through a separate option.

That said, I did finally take a look at these scripts -- historically I've just performed the curves and tweaked by hand but a recent project has called for a bit more finesse -- and they're really quite impressive. Thanks terribly Julian for your work on them. I've bought you a pint or two via PayPal.
tack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #309
juliansader

Quote:
It will be difficult for users to remove this feature themselves, but I can do so in the next update.

The reason why this feature was originally included, is that the early versions of the script couldn't change the mouse cursor to indicate running state, so automatic termination provided a safety net to prevent the script from endlessly running in the background and causing weird artefacts, if the user forgot to terminate.

Gosh, it was almost 6 months ago that I first mentioned updates to SWS and the CC scripts. Now that the ReaScriptAPI extension is -- at long last! -- available and stable, and some updates to the LFO Tool is finished, I can finally start working on the updates to the CC editing scripts.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #310
_Stevie_

Thank you so much Julian, really looking forward to the updates!
A happy new year 2019 to all of you
Old 01-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #311
_Stevie_

@Julian, found an issue with the "js_Mousewheel - Control.... up and down".
Apparently, when scrolling a bit faster, the scrolling slows down tremendously.
As if someone would use a brake :P Can this be fixed?

Or let me rephrase: couldn't the mousewheel functions be included in the scripts itself?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #312
juliansader

Quote:
@Julian, found an issue with the "js_Mousewheel - Control.... up and down".
Apparently, when scrolling a bit faster, the scrolling slows down tremendously.
As if someone would use a brake :P Can this be fixed?

Or let me rephrase: couldn't the mousewheel functions be included in the scripts itself?
In the next update (which is coming along well, even though I have very little time at the moment), these "Control" actions will be deprecated, since the script will take control of the mouse and mousewheel while it is running.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #313
_Stevie_

This sounds great, thanks so much Julian!
Old 02-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #314
_Stevie_

Holy Batman! Julian's scripts have been updated. Just trying them out... Speechless!
Old 02-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #315
lunker

Wow! Yeah ... like @_stevie_ said ... great stuff going on here.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:53 PM   #316
_Stevie_

Yeah, I really wonder, why no one else commented besides us two.
Maybe, because it's weekend :P
Old 02-11-2019, 03:53 AM   #317
juliansader

Quote:
Holy Batman! Julian's scripts have been updated. Just trying them out... Speechless!
I'm glad you like them!

As I wrote in the older scripts' "Deprecation notices", the new scripts are intended to offer several improvements, including:

* No helper scripts required for mousewheel control:
The new scripts can detect mouse input themselves.

* Fewer scripts means fewer shortcuts:
Since the new scripts can detect mouse input, each script can be multi-functional, and middle-click and right-click are used to switch between different modes.
For example, a single new script, "js_Mouse editing - Draw ramp", combines and replaces four old scripts: "Draw linear or curved ramps", "Draw linear or curved ramps, chasing start values", "Draw sine curve" and "Draw sine curve, chasing start values".

* New editing features:
Such as adjustable compression curves (in the "Stretch and Compress" script) or Bézier smoothing (in the "Connect nodes" script).

The Stretch and Compress script demonstrates the new features:

I have updated the instructions on the first page of the thread. (And I will over time upload new GIFs for each script.)

Quote:
Done. The scripts will still quit if you move out of the MIDI editor completely -- unless you happen to be using left-drag -- to avoid situations in which the user forgets that the script is still running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meradium View Post
I hacked together a quick acceleration function to influence the mousewheel impact depending on how quickly the wheel is turned. ... What do you think, could this be a potential feature enhancement for a future update?
I have implemented this enhancement. However, I am not quite sure that I managed hit the sweet spot for both mousewheels and touchpads, so let me know if it can be improved further.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #318
_Stevie_

Quote:
I'm glad you like them!
More than that! These tools make Reaper absolutely anbeatable in the MIDI editing area. They make life so much easier. In Cubase, I could never get the curves the way I wanted to. Now with these tools, I make a quick change in the curve and it sounds absolutely the way I wanted to. I hate that expression, but it's a game changer for me. Even more now, that you reduced the scripts in a very logical way.
And not to speak of the cursor icons + the mouse click / wheel events... Huge!

Thanks for your dedication Julian!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #319
tack

Quote:
(And I will over time upload new GIFs for each script.)
The one you did share looks like extremely impressive work indeed. Looking forward to playing with the new updates. Thanks!
tack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #320
JamesPeters

Hi Julian. Thanks for the updated scripts!

I tried the compress script as well as the two warp scripts. They both crash Reaper. To reproduce, run the script and have it be active (don't commit the changes by clicking a mouse button); press ESC. Reaper crashes without warning. The system I'm using is in my sig. Thanks!
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote