Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
Hanswurst
Human being with feelings

Default Slate Trigger 2 places recorded MIDI files under AppData\Local\Temp?

Hi,

when I record MIDI trigger tracks via Slate Trigger 2, the resulting files are not placed inside the project folder, but under my user's AppData\Local\Temp folder. Is this expected behaviour and is there any way to change this?

I ran into the problem when I wanted to use some project files with a portable Reaper install. This installed version had problems opening projects with items pointing to these MIDI files. Copying the MIDI files from AppData\Local\Temp into the respective project directory fixes the problem but I'm unsure what to make of the whole thing. In the project's ini file, these files have no path, just a filename (i.e. "NAME temp_2ed0accc.mid"), but how does Reaper even know the files are in my temp directory?
Hanswurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:25 AM   #2
solger

I don't know Trigger, but it might be related to the temporary MIDI file which is created first (and probably put into the Temp folder 'AppData\Local\Temp' by default):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger 2 manual
TRIGGER 2 will create a temporary MIDI file with captured data from bar 1. When you “DRAG ON TRACK” MIDI data from the plug-in window to your DAW it will place a snippet of this whole file as captured from the play head position. Remember this when aligning your midi data.

*Cockos' Reaper (and possible other DAW’s) will however display the whole file from bar 1 when dragged from TRIGGER 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurst
Copying the MIDI files from AppData\Local\Temp into the respective project directory fixes the problem ....
In case you don't know it already, you can also have a look at using the Project Media/FX Bay to manage files or copy/move files into the project directory: www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8_fSWVH4qs

EDIT: In general, maybe also check the paths under File > Project Settings and Preferences > General > Paths (to rule out that 'AppData\Local\Temp' is used somewhere there): https://reaperblog.net/2013/07/reape...le-management/

Last edited by solger; 11-16-2017 at 05:19 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:26 AM   #3
Stella645

I would think that dragging the file to track should create new midi data just like any other midi track....but you say it's still referencing your temp folder even though the midi data is shown in the timeline??

I have Trigger....will try and find some time to check later.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Hanswurst

Hi Solus, the Project Media/FX Bay offers me no way to copy or move these files like it’s the case for normal media files. Also, they are marked with a blue arrow (instead of the green one) in the left column of the Media Bay. Interestingly, the manual gives me no clue on what that blue arrow means exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella645 View Post
but you say it's still referencing your temp folder even though the midi data is shown in the timeline??
@Stella645, yes, at least that’s exactly what happens for me. I’d be interested to hear if that’s also the case for you…
Old 11-17-2017, 01:59 AM   #5
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurst View Post
the Project Media/FX Bay offers me no way to copy or move these files like it’s the case for normal media files. Also, they are marked with a blue arrow (instead of the green one) in the left column of the Media Bay. Interestingly, the manual gives me no clue on what that blue arrow means exactly.
As far as I know, the "Play button" arrows have just different colors depending on the file type:

Audio files --> green arrow
MIDI files --> blue arrow

In both cases clicking on the arrow works as play/stop for listening to the media file.

Last edited by solger; 11-17-2017 at 02:10 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:27 AM   #6
Hanswurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
As far as I know, the "Play button" arrows have just different colors depending on the file type
Oh ok, that makes sense
Old 11-18-2017, 05:13 AM   #7
Stella645

Quote:

@Stella645, yes, at least that’s exactly what happens for me. I’d be interested to hear if that’s also the case for you…
Sorry it took me a while to get to this...just bought new studio monitors and have been playing around with them like the proverbial kid with a new toy!

Anyhow....I just tried midi capture and saved the project and closed Reaper...then I deleted the midi file from the temp folder.
When I re-open Reaper the midi is still there as expected...suggesting it is saved with the project, not referencing the temp file.

You haven't actually explained what is happening other than you're having problems...what happens when you try to open the project exactly.
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
Hanswurst

Hi, took me a while to get back to my rig.

Hmm, seems I was on the wrong track regarding the whole thing with the temp files - when I just booted my machine, there were no more temporary midi files under AppData\Local\Temp.

So, better back to my original problem with Trigger which I'm still unable to solve: I installed a portable version of Reaper and copied over my local configuration from my regularly installed version (I wanted to keep a fixed version for a certain project). When I open a project containing midi items created by Trigger, I'm getting an error message, i.e.: "There were 5 media items in the project that were of a type that require an extension plug-in (the instance that saved the project had the extension plug-in)." The respective items are set to offline. Trigger itself is fine in this project, just the midi originally created with it won't load. Can anyone make sense of this? Or this there a way to get more information out of Reaper's error message?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
solger

Quote:
I'm getting an error message, i.e.: "There were 5 media items in the project that were of a type that require an extension plug-in (the instance that saved the project had the extension plug-in)."
Can you maybe attach a simple .RPP example project file (with this problem) to a post (you don't need to include any additioal audio files) so we can have a look at it?
Old 11-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #10
Hanswurst

I was able to boil down the project to one track with just one of those midi items on it and attached it, however: I just found out the project loads without problems in a fresh local installation of reaper - so something with the configuration of my main installation must be wrong... I couldn't find out what in there exactly is triggering the problem yet.
Attached Files
File Type: rpp trigger_test.RPP (365.2 KB, 127 views)
Old 11-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #11
solger

Quote:
I was able to boil down the project to one track with just one of those midi items on it and attached it, however: I just found out the project loads without problems in a fresh local installation of reaper - so something with the configuration of my main installation must be wrong... I couldn't find out what in there exactly is triggering the problem yet.
When you get the error message, do you have a [Show details] Button at the bottom to display more info about what's missing or not recognized?

I did a quick test and no errors loading the .RPP file here on a Reaper 5.62 install + SWS extensions, either.

But when loading the .RPP in a 5.62 test install without SWS Extensions, it throws the following error:
Quote:
Project loading warning:

There were 10 items in the project that were saved by extensions. If you save this project without those extensions installed, you may lose those extensions' data.

Project tokens not recognized:

SWSAUTOCOLOR
SWSSNAPSHOT

So it looks like this might be related to certain SWS functions (Autocolor and Snapshots) used in your project. Or maybe check if you have latest update of the SWS Extensions installed, in general.
The .RPP file only indicates that it was saved with Reaper version "5.52/x64", but not which SWS version is installed ...

Last edited by solger; 11-22-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #12
Hanswurst

Ok, I found the culprit. Seems I fiddled around too much with my Reaper user folder at some point in the past: I had a copy of the Plugins folder in there from some old Reaper version (the dlls etc. in there being over a year old). When I cobbled together my local Reaper install, I copied over that folder together with the rest of the profile, replacing the one installed by the installer, and that seemed to lead to the problem.

Anyway, everything works now and I just learned to be a bit more careful with my Reaper user folder. Thanks for your help!