Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
Chris T
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI notes get stuck with sustain pedal when record disarm

Hey guys, the title says it. Is this a bug or is there a setting to fix it? I use reaper for live playing and switch sounds by toggling record arm a track while playing. If I hold the sustain pedal while disabling the record arm of the active track the notes remain. So I have to make sure the pedal is not pressed when doing this. Not very nice. A smart way would be to release the notes when the pedal (and keys) are released after disabling the track. I think this is called smart take over. But I would be happy if the notes simply got cut off including the pedal information when disabled.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Last edited by Chris T; 12-11-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Chris T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:32 PM   #2
Philbo King

If you are monitoring through Reaper while recording, the synth (or VSTi) should receive the pedal-up event and cut off the note. But the recorded midi, when played back, of course, doesn't have that event.

You might be able to create a custom action that jumps to the end of the most recently recorded midi take and adds a pedal-up event to it, or something like that.

The simplest way is to just release the pedal before you stop recording. Probably won't even help there if you do punch-in recording though. If the pedal is down when the punch-in ends, you'll get the same result.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
Chris T

I am not talking about recording. Just playing live! Record arm is to switch on the sound of the track..
Old 12-12-2018, 03:26 AM   #4
Chris T

I would say either I am doing something wrong or this is a bug. I mean note offs seem to be sent on disarm, but not for the pedal since this is a cc. So the pedal remains and keeps the notes ringing.

Last edited by Chris T; 12-12-2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
Philbo King

Sorry, I misread your OP.

Perhaps one of the forum members who use Reaper live will chime in
Old 12-27-2018, 05:28 AM   #6
Chris T

bump. I also realized that the virtual instruments I am using don't react to the "all notes off" action. Maybe this is related. All NI plugins (Komplete)
Old 12-27-2018, 07:10 AM   #7
EvilDragon

NI plugins definitely do respond to all-notes-off. I have tried Absynth, FM8, Kontakt, Reaktor... they all respond to it. In Kontakt, responding to all-notes-off can be disabled per patch in Instrument Options, though.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
Chris T

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
NI plugins definitely do respond to all-notes-off. I have tried Absynth, FM8, Kontakt, Reaktor... they all respond to it. In Kontakt, responding to all-notes-off can be disabled per patch in Instrument Options, though.
ok you're right. FM8 did respond right away. Kontakt had the setting disabled. Works now too. Anyway, this doesn't send a sustain pedal off message.

Can you confirm, when playing a sustaining sound eg. a pad, pressing a key, then holding it with the sustain pedal and then record disarming the channel keeps the sound on. The track needs to be armed again to release the pedal. That sucks. What is the solution?

Last edited by Chris T; 12-27-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
Anyway, this doesn't send a sustain pedal off message.
Nor it should. That's why it's called "all NOTES off", this doesn't include controllers. You have options for CC resetting in Preferences->Audio->Playback and Preferences->Audio->MIDI Devices on the bottom (Reset by, Reset on).
Old 12-27-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
Bri1
Banned

cough--there's defo sommin cooky with reaper sticking some midi notes--

another example is playing a vst with an arp scaling over 4/5 octaves-- no recorded midi in timeline,still induces this stoopid stuck notes/sustain crap..is it random? aye.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 10:57 AM   #11
Chris T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
cough--there's defo sommin cooky with reaper sticking some midi notes--

another example is playing a vst with an arp scaling over 4/5 octaves-- no recorded midi in timeline,still induces this stoopid stuck notes/sustain crap..is it random? aye.
the effect I am talking about is not random. Completely reproducible. The sustain pedal is simply not released when a track is record disarmed. I would call this a bug. And I am not especially picky about it, it is a severe problem, since I am playing live and switch sounds on the fly while playing. I always have to make sure the sustain pedal is not pressed, otherwise there are sticking notes. I wonder if there is a workaround. Since I am toggling record arm of a track with a controller, I could generate a custom action where the pedal is released before the track is disarmed. But is there an action like sending a pedeal off? Or alternatively, is there a different way off switching sounds on and off in place of toggling record arm? Actually, in cubase there was something like switching a track on (listen only) without record arming. I am missing this feature in reaper. Can it be enabled?
Old 12-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
EvilDragon

There's "Record: disable (input monitoring only)" recording mode available, plus you can also bypass plugins on currently selected track via actions. Might also want to check out SWS Live Configs.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:37 PM   #13
MrAndy

What solution did you find worked best in the end ? I have the same issue working live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
There's "Record: disable (input monitoring only)" recording mode available, plus you can also bypass plugins on currently selected track via actions. Might also want to check out SWS Live Configs.
MrAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:18 PM   #14
MrAndy

Default Still no joy

So I've tried disarming the track and bypassing the FX and both but notes still survive if the sustain pedal is pressed. They return when the actions are reversed !
MrAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:37 AM   #15
DiMezhin

hi, Chris T. Did you manage to solve the problem?
DiMezhin is offline   Reply With Quote