Old 10-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #41
Softsynth
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held View Post
If the mods let this kind of discussion go on, I would like to have the lounge back.

Stupidity is contagious. Please don't let it infect this forum anymore.
Beat me to mentioning the Lounge. However this anti mask conversation is actually revealing more toxic and more dangerous ideas than any of the most moronic posts in the Lounge. For instance denying acts of terrorism is incredibly offensive to the victims families, but the most stupid ideas here are actually killing people in the real world.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #42
Crashwaggon

If anything this year has taught me two things. Which people to avoid, and that you can't reason with them.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #43
lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Ah, but remember it's only a bunch of theories!
It's got laws, too -- but none of the scientists ever enforce them.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #44
Meo-Ada Mespotine

This thread is a classic example of how trolled discussions in the internet work.
I feel like the 90ies newsgroups again.
Rejuvenating.

PS: Wear a mask! To protect me and my grandma. I'm doing it too, to save your ass, whose "freedom" means nothing if it's dead.

On vacation for the time being...
Old 10-29-2020, 03:12 PM   #45
JamesPeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashwaggon View Post
If anything this year has taught me two things. Which people to avoid, and that you can't reason with them.
+1 My ignore list has grown a lot in the last few months.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #46
panicaftermath

I appreciated seeing the banner at the top of the page and recognized that Cockos deciding to put it there was consistent with the integrity of the company's business model and the software that Justin and all produce, as well as it's respectful and collaborative relationship with it's customers (as manifested in that very banner.)

Since this thread is likely to be closed down, I might as well say that I also appreciate the BLM plug in the version slug, and note that it is also on the download page, maybe the most important business page on the site. Good for you!

Might as well also mention my pleasant surprise when I went to group some track controls for the first time in years and saw that the master/slave terminology had been neatly superseded.

Is renaming the "Master" fader next? I'm for it! (An option in preferences, or as a language pack?)

I also like that there's a "Pride" color scheme in the 6.0 theme adjuster, also that years ago the JS "transient killer" was renamed from something less thoughtful.

freedom=customization

Last edited by panicaftermath; 10-29-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:27 PM   #47
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashwaggon View Post
Agreed. I don't try to convert those folks, they're too far gone. I'm more interested in stopping their dangerous nonsense infecting those readers on the margins from being attracted by this bilge.

The politicians are partly to blame for this particular dangerous conspiracy.
It was quite clear (in the UK at least) that they initially lied to the public to save masks for medical staff at the beginning of the pandemic because that is arguably where they were most needed. Politicians were frightened that people would stockpile the medical grade masks at home, or bulk buy to sell them a massive profit). Months on people have all kinds of different masks - supplies not limited to essential medical grade masks.
They knew masks were helping in Asian countries such as South Korea - but they had been using them for the best part of two decades.
Then they intentionally obfuscated the facts by confusing the public's ability on mass to follow the rules and wear masks at the same time with the clearer question of whether the masks work or not! (Essentially playing for time) -to paraphrase Studies show people think they are immune with masks on, they get too close to other people, become too complacent blah blah blah.. those arguments disappeared when there was enough masks available for everyone.

So there you are, that's a conspiracy theory of a kind too. Only it's not really a spicy one to get those nuts going!

The message needs to be follow social distance rules and wear a mask to save lives.

Last edited by Softsynth; 10-29-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #48
Artbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meo-Ada Mespotine View Post
This thread is a classic example of how trolled discussions in the internet work.
see also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Old 10-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #49
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgb View Post
What's mad about caring about other people and doing what you can not to spread a deadly virus? I don't get it.
Absolutely spot on.

And BTW I want to say thank you to the devs and moderator for letting this thread run - seems to it has been overwhelmingly well mannered and respectful.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:13 PM   #50
Quasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
if you look hard enough you'll find people that will say smoking is good for your health too!

The scientific evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of wearing masks to minimize transmission indoors if combined with continuing to follow the other guidelines.
Look no further. I gave up smoking over a decade ago, but I am pro tobacco, despite its well-documented toxicity when misused or overused.

I have no opinion about the efficacy of masks, but wear them and follow all of the recommended social distancing guidelines because I don't wish to err on the side of fostering infection, nor do I wish to have a public aura that might cause anyone to feel uncomfortable...

...However well they work or don't work, it's an extremely small price to pay, so there is no good reason not to wear one IMHO.
Old 10-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #51
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Gozer the Traveler will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveller came as a large and moving Torg. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you.

Wear a mask, even you weirdos.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:48 PM   #52
Geoff Waddington

I couldn't help it, it just popped in there... It's the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man

And I concur, wear a mask.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:49 PM   #53
Artbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Gozer the Traveler will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveller came as a large and moving Torg. Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you.
"White Tie, somehow this reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole in your head. Do you remember that?"

Old 10-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #54
Jae.Thomas

9/11 was an inside jarb
Old 10-29-2020, 07:17 PM   #55
chip mcdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
Man this pandemic is teaching me really bewildering things about people. We've 20k cases just today with 300 dead, hospitals are fucked up since weeks and I see more deniers than ever.
What I've learned this year:

The left side of the bell curve has been trained into appearing more cognitively capable than they are; and there are way more sociopaths demographically than statistics might indicate.

I was blinded to both of those things. Inverse Dunning-Kruger.

Inferiority complexes have been weaponized. The skillfulness of it, and the mobilization of it is truly a marvel. There is no point reasoning with the science denier/anti-masker. It is literally, exactly, like trying to reason with a junky or alcoholic. Dopamine is a powerful drug.

Blend in sociopathy, and it wrecks society and nations.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:28 PM   #56
chip mcdonald

We should have mandates.

And people risking the health of others should be prosecuted for what it is, reckless endangerment. Not having an imagination, or having been brainwashed doesn't give you "the right" to drive on sidewalks or shoot guns in crowds. I'm tired of the coddling, people are dying and having lifelong complications and we're misplacing courtesy to sociopaths and morons.

I'm enlivened to see Justin et al is willing to emblazon a sane position on their product. Being a science denier/anti-masker must be ostracized and not put into the "oh, well, you know, we just have to accept their alternate reality".
Old 10-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #57
JamesPeters

Agreed, Chip.

I live in a small town, and so far we haven't been mandated to wear masks except in hospitals and a few other places. That will probably change soon though, as the rest of the province is quickly becoming more restricted in this regard (as well as physical distancing etc.) I've been very careful since the start, and it's easier for me being in a small town where I naturally have significant space between me and other people (as long as I'm careful about times of the day I go out).

In late February, as news of this hit the town (before people started doing runs on toilet paper, rubbing alcohol, etc.), the one business that started wearing masks immediately (and installed a plexiglass panel at the register) was a grocery store owned by a Korean couple who are first-generation immigrants, so they understood from the culture in which they grew up, what this meant. Imagine if people living in North America in general were on that same level of awareness during an outbreak: people just automatically start wearing masks and taking precautions. We have some growing pains right now, but hopefully the next time this happens (there will be a next time, let's face it), we'll all be more on board. I hope.

And yes, our province had "anti-mask rallies" too. Sigh. It happened in a few provinces. I'm ashamed to be human sometimes.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:18 PM   #58
Bubble07

I advocate spraying non mask wearers with a fluorescent dye that lasts about 3 months. When someone tips up at hospital with symptoms they first check for the dye and if it's present that person stays at the back of the queue and gets treated last.

That way they get to express their freedom whilst also living with some of the consequences.

https://soundcloud.com/fi-lo-249446903
Closed Thread