Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 04-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Rangler
Human being with feelings

Default Please rec best SSL G Series bus comp plugin for under $100

Still learning my way around master bus comps, and the only thing I've really used was Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov, which is pretty fun.

Mac compatible, of course.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:50 AM   #2
Judders

The Waves one is on a flash sale for $29 right now.

I can't recommend it though, because I haven't used it. I've used the IK and Slate versions, but they are over your budget.

Cytomic The Glue is $99, and that has a lot of fans, but again I haven't used it myself.

As you can tell, I'm not crazy about the SSL sound in plugin land (never used a large format console).

The API 2500 by Waves is also $29 right now, which I use a lot and think is great, but it doesn't have auto release like the SSL. It is a great compressor though, and very versatile.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
EpicSounds

I like the one in T-Racks because it has a 1.5:1 ratio, dual mono, mid/side and sidechain (internal) filter. not sure of the price on it's own.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
I like the one in T-Racks because it has a 1.5:1 ratio, dual mono, mid/side and sidechain (internal) filter. not sure of the price on it's own.
It's showing €149.99 inc. tax here, so definitely over $100.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:20 AM   #5
Skijumptoes

Not an SSL emulation, but capable of that gluey like compressor/vintage style is the DC8C from Klanghelm. It has a character all of it's own and very simple to use, and is nice and clean.

I love their products, and their pricing is great as you don't have to run through licensing hoops like many of the big boys products:-

https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/DC8C/DC8C.php

Well worth getting.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:43 AM   #6
Sju

I'm usually using DMG TrackComp instead of Glue nowadays, because it sounds good and the workflow is better IMHO. And of course you'll also get E-channel, 1176 and LA2A, plus the flexible DMG modes.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
timboid

The Glue hands down to me.
And Andy Cytomic (the designer) promised an HD version in near future.
timboid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
karbomusic

The SSL G series itself is only 29.00 as a flash sale.

Quote:
Cytomic The Glue is $99, and that has a lot of fans, but again I haven't used it myself.
I have it and SSL G, seems an awful lot like the SSL G IMHO except The Glue has a more and nicer options. I can't say they are exactly the same but both have that grabby/puffy sound for lack of a better term.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
The SSL G series itself is only 29.00 as a flash sale.

I have it and SSL G, seems an awful lot like the SSL G IMHO except The Glue has a more and nicer options. I can't say they are exactly the same but both have that grabby/puffy sound for lack of a better term.
Cool, thanks for the clarification. Lots of people online argue the toss over which is better, but we all know how much people on the internet like to split hairs!
Old 04-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Cool, thanks for the clarification. Lots of people online argue the toss over which is better, but we all know how much people on the internet like to split hairs!
AFAIK, the both are emulating the same hardware which is the 80s SSL 4000G et al. So I'd hope they are similar. They certainly sound like they are doing the same job - my experience with both is use with discretion and/or in parallel. I've not gotten either over a dB or two without it sounding like too much but I'm not huge on smashing anyway. They do sound great, just have to be careful.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:51 PM   #11
Reno.thestraws

Guys, Some of the REAPER devs have made some of the best pmlug-ins ever

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/

- REAPER price policiy
- Rock SOlid
- Awesome GUI
- Sounds awesome
* Demo Version fully functional

Buss Compressor

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugin...ss-compressor/

Drums comp
http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugin...nt-compressor/

FET Deluxe
http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugin...et-compressor/
Old 04-22-2018, 01:15 AM   #12
Valle

The Waves SSL plugins (all of them) are so cool and great sounding it's ridiculous! Although, you should know what you need, and somewhat “understand” what those plugins do, since they are exclusively dedicated to the units they were modeled after. I’d recommend Waves SSL’s to anyone who is serious about their musical creativity.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:56 AM   #13
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
Guys, Some of the REAPER devs have made some of the best pmlug-ins ever

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/

- REAPER price policiy
- Rock SOlid
- Awesome GUI
- Sounds awesome
* Demo Version fully functional

Buss Compressor

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugin...ss-compressor/

Drums comp
http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugin...nt-compressor/

FET Deluxe
http://www.stillwellaudio.com/plugin...et-compressor/
Man, how do I not know about them? That's awesome. I'm going to give it a go when I get home.

The thing about Waves is the support after a year or so. You have to pay to get them updated, unless you just stay with the older version and hope everything runs well in Reaper.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #14
Valle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
The thing about Waves is the support after a year or so. You have to pay to get them updated, unless you just stay with the older version and hope everything runs well in Reaper.
How does that differ from any other software? My REAPER license expires with version 5.99, then I have to pay to get 6.0. And I am happy to pay, because it keeps REAPER alive and well. That goes for any commercial software/product.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #15
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
How does that differ from any other software? My REAPER license expires with version 5.99, then I have to pay to get 6.0. And I am happy to pay, because it keeps REAPER alive and well. That goes for any commercial software/product.
You're right.

On another note, what's the consensus between Kotelnikov versus Bombardier?
Old 04-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #16
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valle View Post
The Waves SSL plugins (all of them) are so cool and great sounding it's ridiculous! Although, you should know what you need, and somewhat “understand” what those plugins do.
I find the Waves SSL plugins to be great too, it's just a pain if you use on multiple machines having to de-activate on one machine first, before you can activate on the other. i.e. if you use a Mac Pro and transferring projects to a similarly setup iMac/Mac Pro desktop machine. If they're at different locations and you forget to deactivate you're screwed!

If you could de-active a machine from another it would be so much better, but i understand why they don't allow that. So, for that reason i'm hesitant to really invest into Waves as much as i'd like to. What annoys me the most though, is that people who pirate software don't have any of these issues, yet it's due to stealing of software that we have to run through hoops and the paying customers end up more inconvenienced. Damn that annoys me big time.

I also find their plugins (Particularly the older ones) to be very CPU efficient too. The SSL E/G are both very good on CPU and provide loads of options on a channel.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #17
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
I find the Waves SSL plugins to be great too, it's just a pain if you use on multiple machines having to de-activate on one machine first, before you can activate on the other. i.e. if you use a Mac Pro and transferring projects to a similarly setup iMac/Mac Pro desktop machine. If they're at different locations and you forget to deactivate you're screwed!

If you could de-active a machine from another it would be so much better, but i understand why they don't allow that. So, for that reason i'm hesitant to really invest into Waves as much as i'd like to. What annoys me the most though, is that people who pirate software don't have any of these issues, yet it's due to stealing of software that we have to run through hoops and the paying customers end up more inconvenienced. Damn that annoys me big time.

I also find their plugins (Particularly the older ones) to be very CPU efficient too. The SSL E/G are both very good on CPU and provide loads of options on a channel.
I used to freeze/render a lot of plugins that I demo'd, as a starving artist.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:26 PM   #18
kenm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post

I picked up the Waves SSL 4000 Collection a while back for $99 on sale. I don't use them often but when I do I ask myself "why don't I use these more?".

As for licensing, yes, it can be a pain, but Waves supports creating a USB license key that allows you to move licenses around just by unplugging and plugging a USB drive. You can recover a "lost" key up to three times a year so if you lose your car keys often this may not be a good choice but otherwise it's not a bad option.

Ken
kenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:02 AM   #19
cool

Acoustica TAN https://www.acustica-audio.com/store/products/tan-free
Free!
cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:10 AM   #20
DynamicK

Overloud GEM Comp G. https://overloud.com/products/comp-g
Released today. $89 intro price from Overloud, JRR and AudioDeluxe
DynamicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:31 AM   #21
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenm View Post
I picked up the Waves SSL 4000 Collection a while back for $99 on sale. I don't use them often but when I do I ask myself "why don't I use these more?".
Totally, i was using Logic up until a month or so back, and with Logic having so many plugins built in all my waves purchases have sat pretty much unloved for quite some time (years?). Going back to them now in reaper, they really are fantastic. But in my head i thought they were CPU hogs which is why i focused more on Logic's base tools, but in fact they're really efficient.

I had built up a small collection thanks to audiodeluxe.com and their great pricing when waves have deals, but never spent a huge amount of time with them. But just got them cause they looked good for the price!

I got the CLA collection and was underwhelmed by it at the time, but now with reaper i'm using the 'quick' plugins like CLA Guitars and vocals a huge amount. It's amazing how a change of DAW's can affect your workflow and 'go to' plugins like that. I'm biased towards songwriting so those more immediate plugins, and presets on the SSL's are really good for me as a starting point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenm View Post
As for licensing, yes, it can be a pain, but Waves supports creating a USB license key that allows you to move licenses around just by unplugging and plugging a USB drive.
Yeah, i tried that, and it just doesn't work for me as i need to be carrying that USB with me wherever i am. And so many times i forget it, or i break for a coffee and it ends up with me going off in the car to another location and i've left the USB stick in my Pro (duh!). Also, i've have had to recover it too as i had a laptop stolen with the usb key in the side pocket of the case.

My solution is to leave my Mac Pro on now and remotely access the desktop, if i need to deactivate i do it that way from my MacBook, and then activate. It's hassle and a waste of power though. Luckily the other way round and the license is on my MacBook, that's ok as it's normally with me wherever i am.

Last edited by Skijumptoes; 04-25-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:28 PM   #22
Reno.thestraws

have you ever tried this?

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1172

If not, take it seriously
Old 04-25-2018, 04:37 PM   #23
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post