CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 08-13-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
MSK
Human being with feelings

Default Plugin Feedback and Testing

Hey everyone!

My partner and I are just finishing up our first plugin, and we're hoping to release it officially in about a week. I wanted to share it with everyone here to get some feedback from anyone interested in trying it out. The installer can be downloaded here.

It's a relatively basic compression plugin, but it has some cool visualizations that I think might make it stand out.

Based on my own testing, it should work on all versions of OS X from 10.7 to 10.12, both 32 and 64 bit. Right now we're only building AU and VST.

I'd like to thank Youlean for his awesome IPlug branch (and for answering tons of painful questions from me about how to use it!) and also everyone here in general. This has been serious learning experience and the resources here have been invaluable.

This is both the first plugin and the first piece of commercial software we've ever tried writing, so any and all feedback is welcome! Let us know what you think.

MSK

Last edited by MSK; 09-14-2017 at 10:56 AM.
MSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:33 PM   #2
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Awesome, I'm on windows so I cant try it but it is really cool that you got something going!!!
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:07 AM   #3
mibes

Wow great work! Really nice interface and visualisations.

What is the typeface you are using?
Also, those drop-down menus are really slick - any tips about how you put that together?

Last edited by mibes; 08-14-2017 at 04:22 AM.
mibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:55 AM   #4
olilarkin

this looks great! it's a shame it doesn't render at retina resolution. I have some code for that which I'm going to merge soon, I hope it works well with the cairo stuff. I noticed the text entries are completely black. I also have some code to set the colour of those on os x. will merge soon

oli
Old 08-14-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
Youlean

I would like to see that plugin but I don't have computer with me. Can somebody post the image or short video?

As for retina support I will think what is the best way of doing that so we can have cross platform solution for that as there is also dpi settings on windows. Reflex from Image Line pointed me to studio one api to read dpi per daw, but I didn't look that much at it.

What comes to my mind for now is to have option to scale gui according to dpi size + your own scaling.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
Youlean

Actually can someone post an image as youtube is not working here...
Old 08-14-2017, 09:58 PM   #7
MSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibes View Post
Wow great work! Really nice interface and visualizations.

What is the typeface you are using?
Also, those drop-down menus are really slick - any tips about how you put that together?
Thanks! The font is Futura.

I pretty much started from scratch with the drop downs, I wasn't able to get any of the built-in ones working (though I didn't try very hard) and wanted to really customize it. So I just extended an IControl and manually handled all the drawing and click events. Since I wasn't sure if an IControl can change its own size, the menu is actually always as big as the opened size. When the menu is closed I pass any clicks on it to the selected control below it. I'd be happy to post some code, but it's not very pretty! I was definitely learning as I was going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olilarkin View Post
this looks great! it's a shame it doesn't render at retina resolution. I have some code for that which I'm going to merge soon, I hope it works well with the cairo stuff. I noticed the text entries are completely black. I also have some code to set the colour of those on os x. will merge soon

oli
Thanks Oli! I haven't had access to a retina machine for testing - how bad does it look? I'd be very interested in any solutions you have.

Regarding the text entries - do you mind if I ask which host you were using? I noticed the same thing in Reaper but not in Live or Cubase - I'd love to know about any fixes you have for this also.

MSK
Old 08-14-2017, 10:13 PM   #8
MSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youlean View Post
Actually can someone post an image as youtube is not working here...
Here are some images:

Let me know what you think.

MSK
Old 08-15-2017, 01:04 AM   #9
Youlean

That looks awesome! I am really happy that you found my framework useful. Are you using gui scaling btw?

I will add gui animation api in the next few months so we can have nice animated UI.

Can't wait to try it out.

Also, maybe it would be good to paint background under drop down menu so it can be more readable...
Old 08-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
mibes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSK View Post

I pretty much started from scratch with the drop downs, I wasn't able to get any of the built-in ones working (though I didn't try very hard) and wanted to really customize it. So I just extended an IControl and manually handled all the drawing and click events. Since I wasn't sure if an IControl can change its own size, the menu is actually always as big as the opened size. When the menu is closed I pass any clicks on it to the selected control below it. I'd be happy to post some code, but it's not very pretty! I was definitely learning as I was going.

MSK
Well it's definitely inspired me to raise my game with the Cairo renderer!
mibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
MSK

Quote:
That looks awesome! I am really happy that you found my framework useful. Are you using gui scaling btw?

I will add gui animation api in the next few months so we can have nice animated UI.

Can't wait to try it out.

Also, maybe it would be good to paint background under drop down menu so it can be more readable...
Not using GUI scaling yet, though I'm planning on looking into it soon - our plugin is pretty big and it would be nice to be able to change the size. Do you mean the gaps between the menu items? I have a background but I just lowered the alpha a bit so you can see what's beneath it... Maybe it's too distracting. Thanks for the feedback!

MSK
Old 08-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #12
MSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibes View Post
Well it's definitely inspired me to raise my game with the Cairo renderer!
Hah glad to help! Let me know if you have any questions about it (though Youlean can probably help more!).

MSK
Old 09-14-2017, 06:48 AM   #13
Youlean

Just tried your plugin and it is very nice... I noticed that it really unstable in FL Studio on mac but I am using alpha FL version so this might be on FL side...
Old 09-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #14
MSK

Quote:
Just tried your plugin and it is very nice... I noticed that it really unstable in FL Studio on mac but I am using alpha FL version so this might be on FL side...
Thanks Youlean. If you figure out it's the plug-in causing problems let me know! I'll try and get the alpha and test it out myself as well.