Old 11-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
karbomusic
Human being with feelings

Default Video Cover (Year of the Cat)

From the same project/series where the performances are live as possible and as-is other than basic processing (EQ/Compression/Reverb etc), no comping etc, what you see is the actual tracking of what you hear - this one does have overdubs but those are live performances too with no punch ins - Since I don't have 8 arms, I had to do overdubs for the extra parts.

I've found people either love this tune or hate it. I grew up on it and like it due to it's dreamy/moody sound and lyrics and... some of the parts are damn sexy musically IMHO.

Main link: https://youtu.be/Zgy9MfF_Q7c

I have another one in the pipeline, an original off our CD from this past spring, the recording is done, I just need to edit the video and mix it.

Last edited by karbomusic; 11-11-2018 at 10:43 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #2
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I've found people either love this tune or hate it. I grew up on it and like it due to it's dreamy/moody sound and lyrics and... some of the parts are damn sexy musically IMHO.
This is the first time in my life I hear it, so to my fresh ears sounds pretty cool and quite dreamy indeed. Rather elaborate arrangement for a charting pop song, with all the instrumental ornaments. Excellent production and performance as usual.

I'd say there's cool key changes there, but I'd be basing it on a no theory knowledge whatsoever. Chords/mood change in a quite unexpected way in a couple of places anyways - that little thing at 0:49 is great.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #3
Jeffsounds

Very good! Love the song. The original, long version was what we in radio used to call a "shit song" which only meant that it was long enough we had time to run to the bathroom while it played. Although sometimes you just HAD to use In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida instead. He had another long one around that same time, if memory serves, which it rarely does these days.

Very good job on the video and the music. There were a few times that it almost sounded like everybody got lost for a split second but maybe that's just me. I'll give it another listen.

The stache is progressing nicely!
Old 11-11-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat View Post
This is the first time in my life I hear it, so to my fresh ears sounds pretty cool and quite dreamy indeed. Rather elaborate arrangement for a charting pop song, with all the instrumental ornaments. Excellent production and performance as usual.
Always appreciate your comments, thanks for listening.

Quote:
in a quite unexpected way in a couple of places anyways - that little thing at 0:49 is great.
E Maj7 which is normally Em in the rest of the song; I had to find my own way to voice it on acoustic so that it didn't lose the meat. But yes, there are quite a few chords/variations for a pop song making it to #8 in 1977.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Very good!
Thanks!

Quote:
Very good job on the video and the music. There were a few times that it almost sounded like everybody got lost for a split second but maybe that's just me. I'll give it another listen.
No, it's me, it's a bummer but the root cause is my only playing Cajon for a week now, there are a couple places where I got ahead of my skills and lost the groove a little bit trying to be fancy - If I had kept it simpler it wouldn't have sounded that way well that and no metronome/click within 100 miles - for no other reason than the challenge. But since the rule is no punches or "fix it in the mix" tricks, it has to stay as-is.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #5
kgarello

Default Whens your band playing?

Sorry for hijacking thread..

Didn't realize you were from charlotte until a couple of weeks go..

Would like to check out your band!

Ken
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Sorry for hijacking thread..

Didn't realize you were from charlotte until a couple of weeks go..

Would like to check out your band!

Ken
Hi Ken...

Had no idea you were nearby, heck I could know you and don't know it LOL. Anyway, just getting home from rehearsal... the next gig is pushed back to first of the year, probably at the rabbit hole if memory serves and if you've heard of it.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:36 PM   #7
kgarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post

I don't think you'd find many people that grew up in the 70's/early 80's that would hate this song(well, there are always some.... ).

It was really fresh around the other tunes going on...

I say this even though I love late 70's music.

Will listen to yours... haven't yet.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
kgarello

Did listen to the Dave Mason cover.. Nice Job!
Old 11-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
Paul99

I miss the lavalamp...
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote