Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 06-17-2018, 12:59 PM   #1
earhax
Human being with feelings

Default adding toolbar icon for multi-state cycle action

I created a cycle action with several states that it toggles through. I want to create a toolbar icon that will visually reflect the active state of the cycle action I assign to it. So instead of the standard toolbar_X_off.png and toolbar_X_on.png, the button's icon would be more like the ripple edit toolbar button that actually cycles the image of the icon as you switch from ripple off, to ripple one, to ripple all. How can I go about getting this to work properly?

So far, from what I can tell, it seems the only way I can assign icons is by choosing from those in the ReaperThemeZip file for the currently active theme, and every one of those aside from the ripple icon just have an on and an off png file.

I'm not sure if what I want to do will require the use of a single icon file with more than 3 images (instead of just the standard 3 - idle, mouse hover, and clicked - it would be something like idle, mouse hover, state 1, state 2, etc.), or if I would somehow need to script how a set of icon files would function with the cycle action, similar to how the ripple button works. And either way, I don't know how I could select that new icon/icon set since I'm not sure how I could get it into the ReaperThemeZip file.

Currently, I have the toolbar_relsnap_off.png icon assigned with the cycle action. The view will switch to the on.png for the icon, then to the off.png icon, and on the third state it'll flicker when clicked, but then just keeps displaying the off.png for the icon.

I know this is possible because I figured it out once before. But it was a few years ago, and I can't remember how the heck I did it now. Also, I no longer have access to the Mac Pro that I got it working on back then. So if anyone else has managed to figure out how to do it, please let me know. Thanks!
earhax is offline   Reply With Quote