Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > MIDI Hardware, Control Surfaces, and OSC

Old 05-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #1
vdubreeze
Human being with feelings

Default App for midi file extraction from DAW/sequencer files

I want to put the midi files of all of my old DAW and sequencer files into Reaper projects. Not talking about exported midi files, which would be easy, but the original mostly Mac Performer files. I could open them all individually and save each as a midi file, but I'll be smacking myself if I spend hours doing it and find out later there was a free or cheap bulk midi file extractor that would do it in two minutes : )

I've been coming up short looking for something. Anyone know of such an app or script? No project translation or audio, just extracting a midi file that can be recognized by Reaper for import.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
vdubreeze

Bumping this as I still want to find it! : )

A utility to go into a sequencer file which you no longer have the program for in order to open in and export the midi file, and extract the midi file from it.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
LugNut

Hi,
If I'm not mistaken dp files are proprietary. Sorry.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:39 PM   #4
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNut View Post
Hi,
If I'm not mistaken dp files are proprietary. Sorry.
Right, they definitely are. My hope is that there is a way to look into these files (I also have a bucketload of MasterTracksPro files) and extract universal, nonproprietary midi info, just notes on a track. In a similar way that these programs can export a universal midi file I want to find a utility that can extract the midi file without the program. The way similar extracting utilities can pull out midi files from media files with embedded midi files in them, which I can then import into Reaper.

I don't have the expectation it exists, having asked about every decade, but in this great age of DIY programming hope springs eternal for such things. : )
Old 05-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
azslow3

Proprietary container means your are not the owner of it...
If you deposit your money into a bank, that does not give your the permission to break the door and knack the treasure to get your $10 in the middle of the night
Also in general that is not as "simple" as your can think (in most cases).

I have developed one such "converter" (from Sonar), so my comments are based on practical experience.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by azslow3 View Post
Proprietary container means your are not the owner of it...
If you deposit your money into a bank, that does not give your the permission to break the door and knack the treasure to get your $10 in the middle of the night
Also in general that is not as "simple" as your can think (in most cases).

I have developed one such "converter" (from Sonar), so my comments are based on practical experience.
I understand this. However there was a program FLPXtract, never updated from Classic OS X, but back then would do just that with FL Studio projects. It just went in and took the raw midi information out and gave you a file you could use in another DAW without having FL Studio.

File Juicer, which will extract many file types from a file created by an app not present, unfortunately doesn't include midi files among them, but it does give text files with all the midi set up info followed by reams of code. In this case it's not different from opening the file within a text editor, though. Interestingly, though I've been unable to end up with a usable midi file by trimming it down to what looks pertinent to my non-programmer's eye, if I take the largest of the texts files created by File Juicer and add the .mid suffix, if I drag it into Reaper I get a midi track of the exact length of what the midi track in the original file is. No note data in the the track, though. But there's enough information that clearly exists in the extracted file that I'm not convinced some of it isn't note values.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:41 AM   #7
azslow3

Each program use its own way to represent MIDI information, sometimes as a text (f.e. Reaper), sometimes as binary (most other). MIDI file is also binary.
While it can happened some programs just use MIDI binary internally, that is not a must. Also time information will be relative to the clip start, and where that time is defined and in which form is program specific for sure.

There can be extraction tools from particular formats into MIDI, and may be you will find some for yours. But I repeat, that is originating program specific.
azslow3 is offline   Reply With Quote