Old 06-29-2017, 09:42 AM   #41
SmajjL
Human being with feelings

Mmm, I hear you laud and clear w good quality now, damnit, it's easyer to try and chose a motorcycle...
Thanks ReaDave.

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:44 AM   #42
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Mmm, I hear you laud and clear w good quality now, damnit, it's easyer to try and chose a motorcycle...
Thanks ReaDave.
Lol!!
Make sure you remind RME to send me my commission when you make your purchase!!

Kidding of course. I'm just a very happy customer.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #43
SmajjL

You are not alone being an enthusiast with more then a week of experience here so, RME must have done something, right for sure.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:59 AM   #44
Dannii

Quote:

You are not alone being an enthusiast with more then a week of experience here so, RME must have done something, right for sure.
I'd probably sell my mint condition vintage Roland System 100 synth (full system with original boxes and manuals) before I sold my RME.

.... Wait a minute. No. Actually I wouldn't sell either!!
Old 06-29-2017, 10:04 AM   #45
SmajjL

Yes yesyes-yes, laud - and - clear, now @ 192000Hz... damit..
Ps, I missed a pawnshop deal.. on a minimoog voyager, no clue about what the price was, but who caaaares?!
http://www.tremolomusik.se/#/info/begagnat-pawnshop/864

Old 06-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #46
Dannii

Quote:
Yes yesyes-yes, laud - and - clear, now @ 192000Hz... damit..
Ps, I missed a pawnshop deal.. on a minimoog voyager, no clue about what the price was, but who caaaares?!
http://www.tremolomusik.se/#/info/begagnat-pawnshop/864
That looks pretty cool in white.

My Voyager is another one most definitely NOT for sale. It is such a hugely expressive instrument. Love it.
I just figured out that I can map all the knobs on it to Divas knobs too so I'm going to create a Diva setup that gives me a polyphonic Moog with physical hardware knobs AND layered hardware Moog sound.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #47
Dannii

Back on the topic of my new DAW PC, the motherboard should be arriving early next week. That has been the only hold up so far.
Hopefully I'll have the new rig up and running by the end of next week.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #48
SmajjL

And you can even fix and restore any of your babies if they get sick, and mod/add stuff?
Edit: Hope that means say, Tuesday, *sniff* yep, let's hope that.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #49
Dannii

Quote:
And you can even fix and restore any of your babies if they get sick, and mod/add stuff?
Yep. Electronics is my main qualification. I even worked in Roland and Yamaha warranty many years ago.
Most of my gear has some form of customization and I'm currently designing some modular DIY stuff. First on the list will probably be a bunch of Moog ladder filter clones, some envelope generators of my own design and a big analog step sequencer to go with my System 700 and System 100 step sequencers.
There's also a bunch of pulse shapers in the works based on Roland System 700 designs which I'll be using to provide trigger pulses for the step sequencers from REAPERs metronome. I actually have one sitting on top of my System 700 sequencer right now built on a breadboard for testing and it works a treat.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #50
SmajjL

Let me know if you have youtubes with some experiments or something, does not have to be Bethoven even.
Very non-boring "pro-hobby" you have there.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #51
serr

Quote:
And on a swedish site I just saw/read Samsung850 Pro giving up after a 9100 terabyte writes test
Samsung appears to be crashing and burning. First their budget EVO drive had that recall a year ago. Then we had the recall on the 850 PRO line last month and they still aren't shipping.

It doesn't seem reasonable that a memory company like Samsung could be "crashing and burning" but none of that looks very positive. I'd stay with the other big chip makers at present for SSDs. (Crucial, Tosheba, Kingston)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #52
Dannii

Quote:
Let me know if you have youtubes with some experiments or something, does not have to be Bethoven even.
Very non-boring "pro-hobby" you have there.
You might have heard these already but I have quite a few tunes on my synth website at Synthesizers.Audio

There's also a live in the studio jam I recorded a few years ago on my YouTube channel which you might enjoy. And yes, that is me in the video. I was born Dave, became Dannii and returned again to Dave a few years ago (long story and the reason behind my nickname as ReaDave).
My keyboard rig has grown somewhat since this video was made and I'm in a much bigger studio space now too.

Here's the video.....
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yB8djDITybE

Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #53
SmajjL

I can only swear by Samsungs 830 as an OS drive personally and have been ON since the Ivy Bridge came out, quite a while.
Was what ever issue they had not "only" a matter of a firmware solution and all is good now?

Ps, I am in a "New DAW"-land myself and that includes new SSDs.. really hope Samsung is OK because that is where I was suppose to go with, damnit..

Old 06-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #54
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Samsung appears to be crashing and burning. First their budget EVO drive had that recall a year ago. Then we had the recall on the 850 PRO line last month and they still aren't shipping.

It doesn't seem reasonable that a memory company like Samsung could be "crashing and burning" but none of that looks very positive. I'd stay with the other big chip makers at present for SSDs. (Crucial, Tosheba, Kingston)
Hmmmm.... Haven't heard about the recent recalls. I know about the 840 recalls a while back but thought everything has been good since. I have two 850 EVO drives in daily use here and one has been running for a couple of years now with no problems.
The only problem I have had with an SSD was the Toshiba one in my laptop failing suddenly and catastrophically. That's the one I replaced with the 850 EVO.

I hope there aren't any issues with the 850 drives. I will have three of them in this new rig!
They do have a five year warranty though and they seem to get consistently good reviews.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:07 AM   #55
SmajjL

Thanks ReaDave! so cool!
And yep, I know about ReaDave and I remember Dannii, wow time flyes, damnit..

Old 06-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #56
SmajjL

I just don't recall seeing the 850 mentioned in a bad way, feels just like the opposite, but, if I go look for problems, then I bet Google will show me some hits as I am sure someone on the planet have had issues all from SSDs to their grandma's cat.
Hmm.. takes a long time for me to prove this one wrong, hope so, a veeery long time.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #57
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Hmmmm.... Haven't heard about the recent recalls. I know about the 840 recalls a while back but thought everything has been good since. I have two 850 EVO drives in daily use here and one has been running for a couple of years now with no problems.
The only problem I have had with an SSD was the Toshiba one in my laptop failing suddenly and catastrophically. That's the one I replaced with the 850 EVO.

I hope there aren't any issues with the 850 drives. I will have three of them in this new rig!
They do have a five year warranty though and they seem to get consistently good reviews.
I mention this but my sense is it will turn into no more than a delay and their products will still be high quality when they start shipping again. They're not some small player who will disappear and their warranty is no bs.

I've been using an 840 PRO for a couple years now myself. It's in my laptop at present. I'd probably still stay with the other 3 vs. the EVO model but I'd still buy their PRO model SSDs.

I haven't followed up but last I heard they were to start shipping again in mid July.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:14 PM   #58
albatteur

Hi, ReaDave
I Bought the Z170X-UD5-TH Gigabyte for an Apollo twin thunderbolt because with the Z270 asus prime it never worked. And My thunderboltEx3 asus expansion card (85 euros) never worked too. Asus support was a nightmare.
First time for me with Gigabyte. I Followed instructions from UAD website and everething works great now.
But I hope people will have succes with asus on thunderbolt 3.

Tested Windows Thunderbolt 3 Computers :
Notebook Systems

Dell XPS 12
Dell XPS 15 9550
Dell Alienware R17
HP ZBook G3
Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition

Desktop Systems

Intel NUC Kit series (Tested with NUC6i7KYK)
Gigabyte BRIX series (Tested with GB-BSi7T-6500)
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard

You've got a great config. Have happy music .
Old 06-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #59
SmajjL

Ohhh maaaAaann lol, not sure why this was funny but hey, my DNA allows me so why the heck not.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #60
albatteur

Quote:
Ohhh maaaAaann lol, not sure why this was funny but hey, my DNA allows me so why the heck not.
If your DNA says LOL..
Old 06-30-2017, 06:47 AM   #61
SmajjL

Would not surprise me one bit atm.

As for sound treatment, I am thinking of one portable norwergian forrest cat.. but.. I did say I was going for a non destructive solution so, I dunno.

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-30-2017 at 06:51 AM. Reason: none - of - your - business.. :p
Old 06-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #62
SmajjL

A little Rrreminder for SmajjL and a short RME intervju.
Will the RME Babyface Pro Edition atleast work on Linux minus the software maby, but work, what won't work if anyone know?
I was suppose to have this in mind when buying new stuff.

Edit, activate un-lazy'ness:

The Class Compliant mode is a standard that is natively supported by operating systems like Windows, Mac OS X, Linux distributions, and hardware like Apple’s iPad. No proprietary drivers are required, the device will be directly recognized.

Fantastico.

Last edited by SmajjL; 06-30-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #63
albatteur

Quote:
A little Rrreminder for SmajjL and a short RME intervju.
Will the RME Babyface Pro Edition atleast work on Linux minus the software maby, but work, what won't work if anyone know?
I was suppose to have this in mind when buying new stuff.

Edit, activate un-lazy'ness:

The Class Compliant mode is a standard that is natively supported by operating systems like Windows, Mac OS X, Linux distributions, and hardware like Apple’s iPad. No proprietary drivers are required, the device will be directly recognized.

Fantastico.
You are a geek. The new Arturia (french company, Yeah) audiofuse soundcard works on OSX/ LINUX/WIN/IOS/ANDROÏD. A good choice for geeks like me or you.
What a beautiful teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMB-a6F1n6I
Old 07-01-2017, 01:33 PM   #64
SmajjL

Woah! what the? where did you come from?! who moi?!
Now, if that is not beau'tiful looking then, I - am - Donald - Duck.. qui qui, must be French.
I can't go by the looks though, relationships never last then..
But the compability is just like the RME I think, the what ever (software) they have will not work I am guessing because their download section say so?

Cool of you for the heads up, atleast the text Liiiinux is meeentioned by principle as I am interested in Linux, actually, very.
Merci albatteur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdi7c6q_uwk

Old 07-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #65
albatteur

I come from Plouha a little town In the North-west with wild cliffs.
http://www.falaisesdarmor.com/
People drink a lot and make music all the night. But they are french and snob, pretentious like I am. Sorry, but french people are always angry and don't walsh themselves. Sorry.
Just look at the pictures. You also have an english translation...
Old 07-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #66
SmajjL

Greetings
The pictures are beautiful! but I think you are right about the drinking because the boats are way! off the water!
Ahh, I first took it as the french are snobs, you meen that place is beautiful but with a little side effect, it attracts the snobs also, ok.. *doh!* typical
I did not know this about the french, can't be right, but the person that does the reacomics here on the forum is french as compensation and you just helped me with a sound card tip.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #67
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatteur View Post
Hi, ReaDave
I Bought the Z170X-UD5-TH Gigabyte for an Apollo twin thunderbolt because with the Z270 asus prime it never worked. And My thunderboltEx3 asus expansion card (85 euros) never worked too. Asus support was a nightmare.
First time for me with Gigabyte. I Followed instructions from UAD website and everething works great now.
But I hope people will have succes with asus on thunderbolt 3.

Tested Windows Thunderbolt 3 Computers :
Notebook Systems

Dell XPS 12
Dell XPS 15 9550
Dell Alienware R17
HP ZBook G3
Acer Aspire V17 Nitro Black Edition

Desktop Systems

Intel NUC Kit series (Tested with NUC6i7KYK)
Gigabyte BRIX series (Tested with GB-BSi7T-6500)
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 Motherboard

You've got a great config. Have happy music .
I've been meaning to reply to you here Albatteur but have been quite busy.
Great to hear you got the thunderbolt issues resolved. Hopefully that won't be an issue for me later on if I decide to go for a thunderbolt interface. For now though, I'm happy to stick with my Fireface UFX and probably will do for quite some time.

I had a pretty bad experience with Gigabyte a few years ago. I had two of them die on me and a friend with the same one had it die too. Admittedly, that was quite a few years ago though and much has changed since then and the Gigabyte range seems to be much more robust now.

I've never had a problem personally with Asus which is why I've stuck with them for this build.

BTW, I have a bit of a fondness for French arts and music (I worked with the Phillipe Genty theatre company some years back and loved it). Also, one of my biggest musical influences is a French man. Are you familiar with Jean-Michel Jarre by any chance?
Old 07-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #68
Dannii

Update time. The motherboard finally arrived today and that was all we were waiting on so the build can now commerce.

My new rig should be up and running in my studio shortly and I'll be posting my impressions when it is.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:26 PM   #69
SmajjL

Quote:
Edit: Hope that means say, Tuesday, *sniff* yep, let's hope that.
Finally!! I expect good impressions and such a, good vibratio-o-ons.
Don't forget to try hyperthreading on/off btw on your Diva.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #70
Dannii

Well I can confirm it won't be arriving Tuesday unless someone has invented a working time machine!
It is 6am Wednesday morning here.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #71
SmajjL

Thots noht a computaer, THIS! is ah computaer! Crocodile Dundee

Old 07-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #72
SmajjL

You are NOT gonna believe this, but it is Tuesday again here, blink twice if you are OK.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:14 AM   #73
Dannii

Quote:
You are NOT gonna believe this, but it is Tuesday again here, blink twice if you are OK.
Ha! Yeah. That went fast.
It was Wednesday here again when you posted.
Still is Wednesday for another couple of hours.

Good news. I have a brand new, shiny i7 DAW PC here ready to set up.

My copy of Spectrasonics Keyscape arrived a couple of days ago too along with Komplete 11 Ultimate a week or so ago.

This is going to be fun!!
Old 07-12-2017, 05:59 AM   #74
SmajjL

All is relative.. LoL
About (swedish) time! and since you have the same mobo and cpu as me we are now officially cousins or something.

Do you have the other comp still ready as a reference/compare or go by memory of recollection'ness if ..
Maby just enjoy and setup your stuff for now.. mmm, con'gratulations! mate'y.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #75
Dannii

Yeah. Still have the old DAW running and will still make use of it. I'll be posting about the differences in power when I do some tests too.

I have the new rig running bare bones (none of my software installed yet) and I did a few quick video playback tests just for the sake of it.
I tested a 4K H265 video which struggles to play at all on the old rig even with its dedicated graphics card. This same video plays perfectly full screen and uses about 0.5 percent CPU using the i7 inbuilt GPU!!!!
I was expecting improved performance but this is WAY beyond what I expected!

Anyway, I'm about to head into my studio now and install all my audio stuff and do some real tests.

Oh, one small tweak I had to make was to remove the fancy LED multicolour cover from the CPU cooler. It looked great but was touching the edge of the case and transferring a small vibration noise to the outside world. It isn't visible with the case closed anyway so no big deal.
Running under normal loads, this rig is almost silent. Much quieter than the old rig.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #76
blumpy

Default The switch from Mac to PC DAW

I'm going to be switching from Mac to PC (considering Hackintosh) for my main system & using Ableton Live on a mac as a performance sequencer & another as Vienna Server..... Dante for audio networking between Reaper & Ableton.

I'm considering AMD Threadripper or Epyc. A dual 32 core Epyc would likely kill it on huge projects ..... the problem is the clock speed for live processing of soft synths might be an issue. My understanding is that plugins being live monitored tend to stay on a single thread. So threadripper might be a better option for the increased clock speed vs EPYC.

or

Am I being an idiot & should just build a Win/intel box?
blumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 02:18 AM   #77
SmajjL

Yeah, one of the reasons for my upgrade was 4K, and our mobo have displayport and all mobo's don't have that, worth repeating since i've seen other upgrade threads.
PotPlayer handles 4K Very Well without any knowledge I must say/tip.
The mobo have RGB LEDs also (can be turned on/off in BIOS), kinda wish I had a glas window on the chassi if it helps with the mood at night.
Look forward to reading your review/thoughts.

Blumpy, maby you can also ask in this thread.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186211&page=5

I choose 7700k because it would for Sure handle what I need without any child issues/disceases or what have we.
I don't mind at all if AMD wakes up Intel from its beauty sleep, seems like they did step up.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #78
Dannii

Blumpy, I guess it all comes down to how much you want to run Apple OS. If you are content with Windows (I actually prefer Windows personally), you'll get a lot more bang for the buck with a decent DIY rig.
Old 07-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #79
Dannii

I finally have the new rig up and running with REAPER. I have had a few issues with Waves Central and their servers failing with downloading everything at once so I'm going to create offline installers from another PC with a higher Internet data quota. That way I won't be wasting $$ on my phone credits (my phone plan is my only Internet at present).

OK.. Onto some results and I have to say, things aren't quite as I was expecting here. I was hoping for around three to four times the processing power on this new rig......

...... Initial tests on the new rig running a project that brings the old rig to the limit of its capability at 1024 samples buffer showed a TEN TIMES increase in CPU power!!!!
I can actually run this same project on the new rig at 64 samples buffer and it barely touches fifteen percent CPU!! At 1024 samples, it averages around ten percent!

This is beyond my expectations and I am very happy with this result.
I also loaded up a Reaktor 6 Blocks ensemble that brought my old rig to its knees even at highest buffer settings and it runs at around fifteen to twenty percent CPU at 64 samples on the new rig. That means I can track with complex Reaktor ensembles even in already reasonably complex mixes.

Great stuff so far!! This has been well worth the investment!
Old 07-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #80
SmajjL

Serves you right! not upgrading for so long, enjoy.
And yeah, for playback/"input lag" you can get that low with your internal soundcard also which is pretty fantastic feeling of instantness on a padmachine.
But, not sure about the why's but do try this with Asio4All and you tell me if this don't feel like the keys/pads are biting back at you, that fast.

And don't forget Windows powersaving and speedstep and all that, and try hyperthreading! although it seems the speedstep & Co is very fast relative to the past in waking up.

Was that a smiley?