Old 05-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #41
cricket
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Waves presets are the best, most useful out there I've found.
I like them as well. I'm not afraid to use a preset as a starting point or learning tool. Fastest way to learn about what you're using, really.
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #42
cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Frak.

"This is the LAST plugin I buy.

I don't need ANY MORE ... well, I need that one."

I don't need any more....

I just....well, I'll need my L2.

But other that that, I dont need any more!

Oh..I'll take this Antares too..
I got my L2, my Antares, and my Vintage Warmer...

But other than that...I dont need anymore...."
cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:54 PM   #43
Calaban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I think it's easier to think of overtone harmonic partials as musical intervals.

Do you want octaves? Go for even.

Want fifths? Go for odd.

Want fourths? Do both.

It is the fifths added by odd harmonic partials that make some chords sound disgusting when played through distorted guitar; because dissonant overtones (in relation to the chord) are being amplified and clashing with the fundamental pitches of the chord.
I find with heavy distortion it’s the 3rds and 7ths *in the chord itself* which make it sound nasty.
Stacking perfect 5ths with heavy distortion seems to work fine.

Now I know we’re talking about overtones here, so *maybe* it’s the overtones of the 3rds and 5hs in the chord that don’t work. I don’t know. I’m not that technical so maybe I should just listen and learn lol.

But practically speaking, it’s those chord tones which make the distortion freak out. Also, the guitar can’t be “perfectly in tune” due to its design so the overtones on complex chords would be out of tune themselves.

Those are my thoughts as a very non technical guitarist.
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #44
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
I find with heavy distortion it’s the 3rds and 7ths *in the chord itself* which make it sound nasty.
It's the harmonic series from each note that clash with each other (the only thing that makes it sound like distortion is those harmonics added to the otherwise clean signal). If you play a Dm7 you have the harmonics from all four notes which may not interact well with each other. When I would try to be deliberate about which harmonics were created (think overdrive pedal), what I cared about is how good I could get 4 note chords to sound.

Conversely, when they smash into that cacophony of intermodulation distortion that many hate, it can sound as amazing just a different kind of amazing. However, it doesn't matter what we do harmonics wise, there will be some note combination that doesn't do what we want IMHO.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:13 AM   #45
RDBOIS

I feel like concluding the following: best to try various settings, listen, and chose what I like best, rather then have a logical/mathematical premise for selecting odd or even saturation. Maybe one day this will change?!

By the way, this was my first purchase. All the other plugins I use were free VSTs or Demos.

I was not pleased with the setting up of the Waves plugin (don't like jumping through hoops and technical difficulties), but so far I'm enjoying the options in the strip, especially the low cpu = I can use it on many tracks.
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:09 AM   #46
Skijumptoes

If you ever buy their suite's of plugins, their deployment method kinda makes more sense in keeping them all together for their updates and activations across multiple machines.

But for a single plugin i can see it being quite confusing and over the top. Good thing is, it's not constantly running and zapping your resources checking the plugins are legit etc, once the authorisation is done they run as any other plugin.
Skijumptoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:42 AM   #47
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaban View Post
Stacking perfect 5ths with heavy distortion seems to work fine.

Now I know we’re talking about overtones here, so *maybe* it’s the overtones of the 3rds and 5hs in the chord that don’t work. I don’t know. I’m not that technical so maybe I should just listen and learn lol.

But practically speaking, it’s those chord tones which make the distortion freak out. Also, the guitar can’t be “perfectly in tune” due to its design so the overtones on complex chords would be out of tune themselves.

Those are my thoughts as a very non technical guitarist.
Yeah, like Karbo said; it's the harmonic partial overtones of those intervals that bring dissonance to the chord.

Take a major 3rd for example - the 3rd harmonic is a perfect fifth, so you are creating a diminished fifth against the root. Which can sound cool, but it isn't just a major chord anymore.

You're totally right about the guitar tuning - the overtones do not follow the intonation of the guitar.
Judders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:46 AM   #48
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
I feel like concluding the following: best to try various settings, listen, and chose what I like best, rather then have a logical/mathematical premise for selecting odd or even saturation. Maybe one day this will change?!
I know many people hate vague adjectives when it comes to this stuff, but personally I find odd overtones "chewy" or "crunchy" and even overtones "smooth".

That might be due to me being a guitarist, and the strange phenomenon of our mouths being affected by sound to the point that we often look as if we are eating the notes we play.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #49
chip mcdonald

My only complaint is that Waves plugins seem to never agree with installing in a way Reaper recognizes, I always end up having to copy a .dll somewhere. I'm not even sure how I've made them work at this point it's so obtuse.

...but that's ok, because WSOC is the last plugin I'm going to buy, so...
Old 05-17-2018, 08:10 AM   #50
vassaux

Quote:
I think it's easier to think of overtone harmonic partials as musical intervals.

Do you want octaves? Go for even.

Want fifths? Go for odd.

Want fourths? Do both.

It is the fifths added by odd harmonic partials that make some chords sound disgusting when played through distorted guitar; because dissonant overtones (in relation to the chord) are being amplified and clashing with the fundamental pitches of the chord.
At least at one time, this was described as a difference between tube and solid state guitar amps, that tubes emphasized the even harmonics, and SS the odds. Listen to them, see which you like, just like everything else.
vassaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #51
tonybeepbeep

I got this for 29 dollars and had a late night mixing session. Was after a Tomas Skogsberg/Sunlight Studios kit sound, with a really plodding, over sampled kick sound.

Managed to get that in a few clicks through the presets and then obliterated any progress by killing the drum buss with plugin changes.

Once I get over my impulsive mixing habits, I may just get a solid drum sound for my next project.
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:33 AM   #52
uksnowy

Default Two Questions

Is Omni Channel 64 bit? Reaper only shows x86 version?

External side chain is greyed out. How do we get this to work?
Old 05-21-2018, 02:36 AM   #53
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksnowy View Post
Is Omni Channel 64 bit? Reaper only shows x86 version?

External side chain is greyed out. How do we get this to work?
Are you using VST3?
Old 05-21-2018, 02:41 AM   #54
Winfield

I'm using it in 64 bit.

My DAW-pc is off the net,and I installed it via waves central and a USB stick. Now I can only use it with that USB stick connected.

Do anyone know if it's possible to transfer the license from the USB to my (no internet) pc?

Thank you.

-W
Old 05-21-2018, 02:52 AM   #55
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
I'm using it in 64 bit.

My DAW-pc is off the net,and I installed it via waves central and a USB stick. Now I can only use it with that USB stick connected.

Do anyone know if it's possible to transfer the license from the USB to my (no internet) pc?

Thank you.

-W
https://www.waves.com/support/instal...line-computers
Old 05-21-2018, 03:03 AM   #56
airon

That's how I do it. Your USB stick functions almost like an iLok in that regard.

You can remove the licenses from the stick in the same way. My "license" stick is never moved. And with one license in reserve per year, it's cheaper than iLok stuff was. Of course this stuff gets cracked just like almost everything does. These days though, there's little incentive to used cracked stuff any more. Prices are low. Choices are plenty, with or without iLok-like schemes.

I use a 16 GB Sandisk Cruzer stick. I keep an installer for Waves and Izotope stuff on it too.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:21 AM   #57
Winfield

Quote:
Yeah, I've read that. To my understanding it's not possible to transfer the reg *from* the USB drive *to* the offline pc. Too bad, would be nice as I have zero use for the plugin on other devices than the offline pc. As a side note it seems stupid, that waves central keeps asking for email and psw to log on the waves servers from the offline pc.

The plugin does sound good and I will most likely be using it a bunch.

-W
Old 05-21-2018, 11:23 PM   #58
uksnowy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winfield View Post
I'm using it in 64 bit.

-W
Awesome. Thanks. I just need to find out where it put it then.

Anybody else had the problem with the ext side chain being greyed out, unselectable?