Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 05-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #1
Liquid Fusion
Human being with feelings

Default Scheps Omni Channel - 29.00

www.waves.com/plugins/scheps-omni-channel
Scheps Omni Channel
Regular $149
ON SALE $29
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
sostenuto

Many thanks !!! Been hoping for this price drop for some time! Preset junkie as well …..
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
Dex

Maybe I'm missing something but what's the innovation here?
Dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
sostenuto

For me, it is all about Andrew Scheps. For others, maybe no big deal.
He did a solid video in support of this Channel Strip as well. I found it instructive in addition to his many Presets to get me somewhat close to decent 'working area' for several instruments.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:55 AM   #5
G-Sun

Jumped on this one.
Here's 10% coupon for you:
https://www.waves.com/r/9syir3
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:53 AM   #6
bladerunner

Oh god.. could this drag me back to Waves? lol. Killer that it has Mid Side AND a dynamic eq AND a limiter. Bit of a dream plugin actually.

Had no idea each section has a more detailed interface! Wow, this is a pretty incredible channel strip.

Last edited by bladerunner; 05-14-2018 at 01:05 AM.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:03 AM   #7
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Oh god.. could this drag me back to Waves? lol. Killer that it has Mid Side AND a dynamic eq AND a limiter. Bit of a dream plugin actually.

Had no idea each section has a more detailed interface! Wow, this is a pretty incredible channel strip.
With these prices it's hard to resist
First time I'll be checking out the presets thoroughly for a plugin.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:52 AM   #8
Skijumptoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Maybe I'm missing something but what's the innovation here?
$29 makes it less about innovation, and puts it into a 'must have' territory surely?

The innovation, of course, comes from Scheps experience into making the plugin, and it's also got a great interface with a lot of tools on a single screen. And another big factor is that it's classed as zero latency so you can whack it where you want, put some shortcuts from that to the Reaper mix channels and it's real handy plugin.
Skijumptoes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:19 AM   #9
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
With these prices it's hard to resist
First time I'll be checking out the presets thoroughly for a plugin.
Waves presets are the best, most useful out there I've found.
bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #10
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
The innovation, of course, comes from Scheps experience into making the plugin, and it's also got a great interface with a lot of tools on a single screen. And another big factor is that it's classed as zero latency so you can whack it where you want, put some shortcuts from that to the Reaper mix channels and it's real handy plugin.
Just seems like a very thoughtfully crafted plugin.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #11
Winfield

Hell, I could not resist - The mid/side processing pushed me over.
Hoping to get to play with it soon enough.

-W
Winfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #12
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Jumped on this one.
Here's 10% coupon for you:
https://www.waves.com/r/9syir3
Ohhh why are doing this to me?

I was like "ohhh a channel strip with all these functions on special, not sure if I should..." Then, you go and add a 10% off...

Pffff... How to resist?

Must of been a fish in my former life? LOL
RDBOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #13
Skijumptoes

I use audiodeluxe for all my plugins, and it's $25.89 there (They pretty much always add a code on when you go to checkout), not much, but even more saving.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
crootnik

just watched all the video. Quite impressive. Good price, and amazing value for that price.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #15
Pashkuli
Banned

Can I uninstall this Wave Central platform after I have transfered my license from the cloud to my PC?
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #16
Calaban

I’ve been looking at this plugin since it came out and finally pulled the trigger.

$25.89 at everyplugin.com

I’m not a good mixer and I probably don’t need it, but I thought it was cool couldn’t resist!
This recording hobby is expensive but fun....
Calaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #17
RDBOIS
Banned

Eeehhhh... How big is the download file?

I tried downloading but got error after error, and once no error but very very little progress...

My Internet provider is Satan, no Lucifer, oups, I mean HughesNet... They throttle me down to 1 Mgbit/s during the day. I guess I'll have to wait to 2 am - when the dark forces give me a short respite.

Seriously, how big is package?
Old 05-14-2018, 04:38 PM   #18
chip mcdonald

Frak.

"This is the LAST plugin I buy.

I don't need ANY MORE ... well, I need that one."

Last edited by chip mcdonald; 05-14-2018 at 04:47 PM.
chip mcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:12 AM   #19
G-Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBOIS View Post
Ohhh why are doing this to me?
Sorry, born evil :mohaaa:
Old 05-15-2018, 05:24 AM   #20
bobtom1

Why do you all make me keep buying stuff!

Every time I say no more Waves stuff I keep getting sucked back in.
Watched the videos,especially the one with Mr Scheps, demo'd it on a few things and pulled the trigger quickly like a cowboy gunslinger!

Love the workflow and flexibility which is the main thing after the ease of finding good sounds. Now I can replace a few plugin chains with just this one. Great stuff!
Old 05-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #21
richie43

It is now $69 on the Waves site.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:50 AM   #22
fetidus

It is indeed a great plugin overall, when you factor in the complete feature set and how it works together as an integrated tool, especially for that sale price. I bought it for $49, very happy with it at that price. Amazing at $29. Instant no-brainer. Very thoughtfully designed, sounds great, excellent (and very usable) features, CPU-friendly, zero latency, very good workflow, very flexible. From the subtle to the creative, it's a very useful tool in a crowded market... and while you can achieve the same (or similar) thing with a bunch of other plugins that individually subjectively sound better than the modules inside this plugin, you will be very hard pressed to match the workflow and effectiveness of getting results quickly. At $29? Good grief. Has to be a record of the sheer value of a plugin.
fetidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #23
fetidus

And BTW, you have a built-in insert point as I'm sure you know, so you can add any other Waves plugin, wherever you need in the chain, while still inside the Omni Channel. I've found myself using Waves F6 in that slot (F6 is a floating band dynamic EQ) to give me some extra EQ functionality (plus F6 has a spectrum analyzer in it now).

Scheps Omni Channel + F6 is a really superb combo... and still zero-latency and CPU friendly BTW. It has basically replaced almost all of my channel strips... with the exception of Neutron 2, which I'm still seeing how it fits into my workflow. I actually find myself wanting to use Scheps Omni Channel + F6 more than Neutron 2 in many cases, which surprises me.

When I just need a channel strip that is flexible, light and sounds good, I am now reaching for Scheps Omni Channel + F6 more and more often. I get the track in good shape there, and then add on other plugins if needed... such as a FabFilter plugin for surgical tweaks.

It has been a really good workflow improvement for certain kinds of tracks.

The only thing that would possibly improve on this for my workflow now would be if FabFilter were to ever do a channel strip.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #24
karbomusic

Yea, it's good stuff. My only complaint is it was released and I purchased it at the very, very end of my last project so I didn't get to use it very much, but I plan on using it regularly moving forward.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #25
fetidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie43 View Post
It is now $69 on the Waves site.
$69 is still a very good value TBH, but if you can wait, then hold off until it hits $49 again, which I'm sure it will in a few months. The $29 deal was just a quick, limited lightning deal probably for their marketing department to test the waters. And I wouldn't expect to see it hit that low very often, until a year or two from now. It's still a new plugin. Older plugins more frequently hover at $29 with Waves' current marketing approach... but new ones rarely hit $29 for more than a day or two.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #26
uncleswede

Now back to $69...
uncleswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:01 AM   #27
serstickman

Bought this excellent plugin at $29.00.

I absolutely love it!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:07 AM   #28
Skijumptoes

I still think it's easily worth $69 after using it considerably.

I've now set it as a default plugin for my Aux/Bus template tracks with shortcuts to the mixer channels. I really like the reduced/focused controls for EQ, it lends itself to shortcuts on the mixer lanes really well. I have the compression, pre-amp and EQ all on there. Love being able to use that pre-amp creatively, and move it around the plugin chain.

It's like having a really efficient integrated channel strip/ssl now, and the overhead is negligible and it's adding no noticeable latency so far! woo!

I too was done with Waves, damn! lol
Old 05-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #29
fetidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skijumptoes View Post
... and it's adding no noticeable latency so far!
It's zero latency. :-) Yep, it's a great tool indeed.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #30
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I purchased this when it was first released and it has now become one of my most used (of all developers) plugins. I even went back to previous mixes of songs on my new album that I'd considered finished and remixed them with this plugin. The preamp saturation section is worth the price alone!

F6 EQ has also become one of my most used Waves plugins.

Omni Channel is one Waves plugin I'd even have been happy to purchase at full price if it never want on sale.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #31
mjfruth

Default Quick Question....

....is it normal for the F6 EQ to only be visible in the Waves "Rack"? I can add it to the empty slot, but it does not appear as a standalone VST on my system.

If it should appear as a standalone I probably need to add another path for VST scan....
mjfruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #32
fetidus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjfruth View Post
....is it normal for the F6 EQ to only be visible in the Waves "Rack"? I can add it to the empty slot, but it does not appear as a standalone VST on my system.

If it should appear as a standalone I probably need to add another path for VST scan....
Yes, this is possible if Reaper hasn't detected the plugin yet, since Waves will internally detect its own plugins. Reaper and Waves occasionally have plugin discovery issues when you update or install new Waves plugins, due to the way Waves uses plugin shells. There's a thread around here somewhere about troubleshooting Waves plugins not showing up in Reaper. Typically I just "Clear cache/re-scan" (in the VST settings preferences screen), and that does the trick. But if your Waves installation gets messed up for Reaper, there's a folder or two you need to delete which will force all the Waves plugins to be hard refreshed. Just can't recall what directories needed to be cleared. Hope that helps a little.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:21 AM   #33
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
I purchased this when it was first released and it has now become one of my most used (of all developers) plugins. I even went back to previous mixes of songs on my new album that I'd considered finished and remixed them with this plugin. The preamp saturation section is worth the price alone!
I just tried the preamp sat on the drum bus and heard the difference immediately. Made the highend (e.g. cymbals) take a step forward in the mix without necessarily being that much louder - if that makes sense. This was a good thing.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #34
vassaux

I got in for $29, and already like the sound of it. I LOVED his description of the "THUMP" feature.
vassaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #35
Skijumptoes

There's few ideas in this vid on how to use it creatively, which is what sold me on it before it went on offer:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3sXnByfapM
Old 05-16-2018, 11:12 AM   #36
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
I just tried the preamp sat on the drum bus and heard the difference immediately. Made the highend (e.g. cymbals) take a step forward in the mix without necessarily being that much louder - if that makes sense. This was a good thing.
Yep. That totally makes sense. The saturation is basically adding varying amounts of odd and/or even harmonics. Plenty of other saturation plugins do similar things but the way the Omni Channel preamp does it sounds the closest to vintage Neve gear to my ears.

Using it on every channel adds a depth and fullness to a mix that is a huge step closer to owning a vintage Neve console. I'm not likely to have the budget for 72 channels of 8000 series hardware in my immediate future!
Old 05-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #37
RDBOIS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
Yep. That totally makes sense. The saturation is basically adding varying amounts of odd and/or even harmonics. Plenty of other saturation plugins do similar things but the way the Omni Channel preamp does it sounds the closest to vintage Neve gear to my ears.

Using it on every channel adds a depth and fullness to a mix that is a huge step closer to owning a vintage Neve console. I'm not likely to have the budget for 72 channels of 8000 series hardware in my immediate future!
What about the odd vs even? I was under the impression that saturation was related to harmonics - which are dependent on the frequency of the fundamental root note & whatever the instrument resonance is producing (the body and wood of the acoustic guitar for example). And therefore, the extra sounds are additions of a series for example root= 440 ---> harmonics are 880, 1320, 1760, etc. Hmmm, wait... Unless even would be 440 x 2 ; 440 x 4 ; 440 x 6 ... and odd 440 x 3; 440 x 5; 440 -x 7, etc.

Did I just answer my own question?

It this is correct, then when would I choose Odd vs Even? Let's see here... Nope I have no rational for when to choose O vs E.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:04 PM   #38
karbomusic

Quote:
It this is correct, then when would I choose Odd vs Even? Let's see here... Nope I have no rational for when to choose O vs E.
Lot easier if you use an easy number to answer the initial question.

1k, 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th

root, even, odd, even, odd

But I wouldn't get myself caught up in odd vs even beyond the first harmonic or so personally because the higher order the harmonic is, the lower it's amplitude (typically). For example, the strong 2nd harmonic that one might find in a distorting tube amp is one octave above the fundamental, so if you listen closely you can hear that slight octave in the sound of a single guitar note - but once we get into higher orders and sounds more complex than a single note, plus the sheer subtlety of saturation, things get complicated and more elusive, so just use it and forget about the numbers.

People will disagree with me on that but I spent a year or two distorting/saturating/evaluating signals and this is where I ended up.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-16-2018 at 05:15 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:25 PM   #39
Judders

I think it's easier to think of overtone harmonic partials as musical intervals.

Do you want octaves? Go for even.

Want fifths? Go for odd.

Want fourths? Do both.

It is the fifths added by odd harmonic partials that make some chords sound disgusting when played through distorted guitar; because dissonant overtones (in relation to the chord) are being amplified and clashing with the fundamental pitches of the chord.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:00 PM   #40
mjfruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetidus View Post
Yes, this is possible if Reaper hasn't detected the plugin yet, since Waves will internally detect its own plugins. Reaper and Waves occasionally have plugin discovery issues when you update or install new Waves plugins, due to the way Waves uses plugin shells. There's a thread around here somewhere about troubleshooting Waves plugins not showing up in Reaper. Typically I just "Clear cache/re-scan" (in the VST settings preferences screen), and that does the trick. But if your Waves installation gets messed up for Reaper, there's a folder or two you need to delete which will force all the Waves plugins to be hard refreshed. Just can't recall what directories needed to be cleared. Hope that helps a little.
That did it.....thanks!
mjfruth is offline   Reply With Quote