Old 10-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
Alsklaftsk123
Human being with feelings

Default Wierd folders magicly apper?

Hi, today i noticed 3 weird folder in my reaper general paths folder. See attachment 1. These weird folders was appearing from 00.11-00.15 today night. At that time i was working on a project, but with the path folder set to another place. I was not recording anything either, i was just importing and manipulating som midi and wav files (they get to the projects path folder, not my default one). If i open the folders, each contain only a reapeaks file with a bunch of weird numbers. See attachment 2. I dont know what this is, and it seems just freaky. I cant seem to recreate this. Is anybody familiar what this can be?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111.jpg (46.4 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg 222.jpg (40.2 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by Alsklaftsk123; 10-25-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Alsklaftsk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsklaftsk123 View Post
Hi, today i noticed 3 weird folder in my reaper general paths folder. See attachment 1. These weird folders was appearing from 00.11-00.15 today night. At that time i was working on a project, but with the path folder set to another place. I was not recording anything either, i was just importing and manipulating som midi and wav files (they get to the projects path folder, not my default one). If i open the folders, each contain only a reapeaks file with a bunch of weird numbers. See attachment 2. I dont know what this is, and it seems just freaky. I cant seem to recreate this. Is anybody familiar what this can be?
Those look like peaks file folders. You can set a universal path where all peak files go in preferences (assuming that is what those are).
Old 10-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
Alsklaftsk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Those look like peaks file folders. You can set a universal path where all peak files go in preferences (assuming that is what those are).
I have set both to be the same folder. Also i have set my path folder for the project to another folder. I didnt do anything unusual, and its wierd when folders just appear like that. Its no other files on my hdd with a similar name...
Old 10-25-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
karbomusic

Quote:
I have set both to be the same folder. Also i have set my path folder for the project to another folder. I didnt do anything unusual, and its wierd when folders just appear like that. Its no other files on my hdd with a similar name...
When you see the waveforms in items, those are stored as files in random looking folders. You have to set the option to save those in a single master location (options > preferences > paths) or they'll end up in the project folder IIRC:

Old 10-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
Alsklaftsk123

Quote:
When you see the waveforms in items, those are stored as files in random looking folders. You have to set the option to save those in a single master location (options > preferences > paths) or they'll end up in the project folder IIRC:

Yeah,i have set everything there to my reaper folder by default. This is the folder i use for just doing random things that im not gonna save (i clean up this folder regulary). For serious projects (like the one i was working on by the time theese files where created) i make a new folder, go to the projects settings and set that folder as my path folder. In that way, everything i record and every sample i drop will be saved/ copyed to that folder (including reapeaks).
It seems more like a bug to me when i look at the name of the file and the folder names.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
It seems more like a bug to me when i look at the name of the file and the folder names.
They are supposed to look random like that.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Alsklaftsk123

Quote:
They are supposed to look random like that.
But usual the reapeaks has the same name as the wav?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
But usual the reapeaks has the same name as the wav?
No, since it is only used by Reaper behind the scenes and likely covers items and WAVs, it uses random generated names/folders. It will make zero sense to a human because it isn't for human consumption.

Keep in mind this is a very normal method in computer programming where you need guaranteed exclusivity with files that are typically considered temporary and are dynamically generated on the fly. Sony Vegas (which reaper was originally patterned after) does the exact same thing for temporary files generated when working on a project.

You could delete them and restart reaper and it would immediately regenerate them likely with all new random names.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
Alsklaftsk123

Quote:
No, since it is only used by Reaper behind the scenes and likely covers items and WAVs, it uses random generated names/folders. It will make zero sense to a human because it isn't for human consumption.

Keep in mind this is a very normal method in computer programming where you need guaranteed exclusivity with files that are typically considered temporary and are dynamically generated on the fly. Sony Vegas (which reaper was originally patterned after) does the exact same thing for temporary files generated when working on a project.

You could delete them and restart reaper and it would immediately regenerate them likely with all new random names.
But when i put stuff in the project, it comes nothing more in the wierd folder. I cant seem to recreate it.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #10
karbomusic

Quote:
But when i put stuff in the project, it comes nothing more in the wierd folder. I cant seem to recreate it.
I'm sorry I don't understand. Once the peaks are created and you don't add new WAV files, nothing will change or the existing files are updated. Since I don't know exactly how Justin handles this in code, I don't know the answer.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
Alsklaftsk123

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't understand. Once the peaks are created and you don't add new WAV files, nothing will change or the existing files are updated. Since I don't know exactly how Justin handles this in code, I don't know the answer.
Yeah,but nothing changes in those folders when i add stuff either.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah,but nothing changes in those folders when i add stuff either.
My point was, how do you know it doesn't update what is already there to some extent. Again, we don't know how it is actually handled so there is nothing that say's 1 WAV = 1 file or 1 item = 1 file and so on.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
Alsklaftsk123

Quote:
My point was, how do you know it doesn't update what is already there to some extent. Again, we don't know how it is actually handled so there is nothing that say's 1 WAV = 1 file or 1 item = 1 file and so on.
Ok. I tried removing these weird folders and reopen the project to see if they where recreated, but they was not.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
Alsklaftsk123

Update: I managed to recreate this issue again today. I was importing a sample called door knock and then a folder in my other default directory came up with the folder name "dc". This is really weird, because the sample and repeaks is automatically coped to the right sample folder.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
karbomusic

Oops, I didn't realize they were in a "different" project folder than the one you were working on. Sounds like another path related setting clashing with your workflow but I have no idea what it is. Can't you set all peaks to go to the same folder for all projects like the screenshot I posted?

Last edited by karbomusic; 10-25-2013 at 07:53 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:10 AM   #16
Alsklaftsk123

See pic 1 for my default settings.
See pic 2 for my project settings.
Everything has been like that since i started the project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (47.4 KB, 194 views)
File Type: png 2.png (58.9 KB, 151 views)