Old 11-28-2018, 03:21 PM   #1
Guitarzan65
Human being with feelings

Default Presets for vocals??

Sooo very new to this, managed to get recordings of my guitar, can even accompany myself :P but the FX are all without parameters.
Is there a place here with presets for vocals, or could someone please help me find a decent sound for 60's pop/ rock? Something that can get me from Black Sabbath to the Beatles would be AWESOME
Guitarzan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #2
prom

I am guessing these "FX without paramaters" are 3rd party plugins (*not part of your Reaper installation*) located in a folder you created for VST plugins somewhere on your operating system? If so then make sure the path to Reaper is listed correctly in Reaper-Options-Preferences-VST vst plugin paths.If that checks out ok then click *clear cache/rescan. I'm guessing Windows OS? (If you run a Mac or Linux...sorry,I have no knowlege about those installations)
Check Reapers internal plugins by opening ReaComp and/or ReaEQ on a channel in your mixer,they should be fine and they have some presets included for vocals etc.If they (Reapers internal plugin suite including JSfx) are the FX you refer to in your post then 1. - I have never seen that happen in all my time with Reaper. 2. - sounds as if there is something wrong with your computer operating system, not the DAW.
I do recall one plugin I installed in Windows XP,it opened up in the DAW as a blank window (no GUI)...that particular plugin had a dependency on a .dll (msvcr70 I think) that had to be present in (if not,then manually copied to) Windows\system32,therefor, check any plugin installation dependency requirements.
Hope you get everything going.

Last edited by prom; 11-29-2018 at 02:59 AM.
prom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
Guitarzan65

Quote:
Originally Posted by prom View Post
I am guessing these "FX without paramaters" are 3rd party plugins (*not part of your Reaper installation*) located in a folder you created for VST plugins somewhere on your operating system? If so then make sure the path to Reaper is listed correctly in Reaper-Options-Preferences-VST vst plugin paths.If that checks out ok then click *clear cache/rescan. I'm guessing Windows OS? (If you run a Mac or Linux...sorry,I have no knowlege about those installations)
Check Reapers internal plugins by opening ReaComp and/or ReaEQ on a channel in your mixer,they should be fine and they have some presets included for vocals etc.If they (Reapers internal plugin suite including JSfx) are the FX you refer to in your post then 1. - I have never seen that happen in all my time with Reaper. 2. - sounds as if there is something wrong with your computer operating system, not the DAW.
I do recall one plugin I installed in Windows XP,it opened up in the DAW as a blank window (no GUI)...that particular plugin had a dependency on a .dll (msvcr70 I think) that had to be present in (if not,then manually copied to) Windows\system32,therefor, check any plugin installation dependency requirements.
Hope you get everything going.
It is Windows 8 I run with, and your information is very helpful. There's just an awful lot of wonderful stuff to do with this program, and as a newb, I get very lost easily lol. I will look at where my plugins are stored, or searched for and see what I can do. Appreciate the guidance!
Old 12-05-2018, 06:58 AM   #4
ivansc

Hey totally off-topic but I wrote a song about a guy I met whilst living in Nashville a few years ago & the song was actually called Guitarzan.
Happily I KNOW it wasn`t you!
Welcome to the forums.

P.S. I just googled Guitarzan & it looks like Ray Stevens beat me to it with that title...

I have a pretty cool (but it costs) plugin that I use for such things. EZMix by Toontrack.

But needless to say there are plenty of ways of sorting out vocal FX.

Unfortunately there isnt an included one-size-fits-all included with Reaper. Mostly because it is a pretty broad spectrum you are looking at & I dont think even the presets in EZMix vocal plugs will cover all of that. And of course it depends on what your voice sounds like in the first place.

Worth using reacomp to even out your vocal delivery if that is an issue and maybe then play around with a reverb plug or two.

You could post an example of what you sound like & let us have a look. Use Dropbox and link it.

Last edited by ivansc; 12-05-2018 at 07:05 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:43 AM   #5
Guitarzan65

I don't know ANY of you- WHY would I be that cruel? LOL :P