Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 12-11-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
NYlaker
Human being with feelings

Default files not playing in Media Explorer+screwy solution

I'm running Reaper with UMC1820 Asio, and windows 10 apps with the onboard Realtek sound device. All sound is well within Reaper playing files in the arrange window.
These same files will not play in the reaper media explorer (sits frozen at the beginning). They will play in the external windows media app when I manually set the windows output to Realtek (while Reaper is running and the UMC1820 is turned on). If the the UMC1820 is off all sound output automatically goes back to the Realtek by default. When the UMC is on most of the windows programs appear to use it instead (game sounds and Utube come thru the UMC).

The screwy solution I stumbled upon--if I start 'play' in the arrange window the reaper media explorer play becomes active and the selected file begins to play. I can then stop the arrange window play and media explorer file continues to play.

If I stop playing the selected file with the stop button. I cannot start it again without the arrange window trick, however instead of stopping the media file that is playing I double click a second file in the media window it plays without hesitation.

Never had this problem with my old soundcard in the same system, but that card never took control of the entire system on its own accord like the UMC1820 is doing. But not sure why Reaper media explorer needs coaxing to start functioning.
I can live with this but any suggestions appreciated.
NYlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #2
Bri1
Banned

ello-so,the problem you face is a conflict of wave drivers..both reaper media explorer + your media players+web browsers will default to wave,or direct sound.
there is a solution> try this checkbox found in windows sound manager>

or,try wasapi modes. =)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #3
NYlaker

Yeah that box was already checked. I think years ago when I set up the system to work with 2 sound cards.
I assume that when I start playing a track in arranger the media explorer uses the asio driver.

Last edited by NYlaker; 12-11-2018 at 04:47 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-12-2018, 05:27 AM   #4
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I assume that when I start playing a track in arranger the media explorer uses the asio driver.

i do not think so unless you use reaper option to 'playback through selected track'-
there are also some options in media players to choose which speakers to playback on-a different device can be set in there to avoid conflicts as well..

windows basically introduced a new mixing function-- the idea is -you open up all your media apps/browsers/daw whatever,then you can set each to have different interface input+outputs there-- i totally have not used this as it seems 'borked' right now tbh.
this article from microsoft about XAudio2 seems to point to a new direction> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...2-introduction

^maybe the devs need considering this...?^
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
Philbo King

What settings do you have in Media Explorer? Is Autoplay turned on? Have you used the ME Routing button to set an output channel?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #6
NYlaker

Default solved

First off thanks Bri1 and Philbo for the help.
I've got it working again.

I was pondering why ME only played while the track window was playing and I remembered that I had the option to 'close audio device when stopped and application inactive' checked!

Disabling this option and ME plays and behaves normally. I'm guessing that ME doesn't have the direct authority to turn the audio device back on, but once it is on it can function normally. Using the ME stop button must turn the audio device off but the command is ignored if the the arrange window is still playing in the background (Note: It doesn't actually have to be playing sound--my interim solution was to start playing at a time point beyond the end of my project and let it continue until I was done with ME).

This problem was obviously 'self inflicted' but I remember activating it on the chance it would allow an external editor using asio to function without conflict.

To tie up loose ends: Autoplay had no effect checked or unchecked and the routing was to the main outs 1 and 2. Also routing to a active track had no effect.