Old 06-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #81
ldhall1856
Human being with feelings

Default Faderport 16 scripting.

Hi all,

First post so please forgive me if this is the wrong place and steer me in the right director.

I was wondering if you all could help me with a few thing.

First of all. The CSI has helped so much. I was able to get my presonus up and running in just a few hours. I was able to change the small encoder/knob to change the pan setting in the script, But i was hoping i could get some help with some other scripting needs.

1. When I page over, I would like the fader on the mixer on the screen to follow. Is that possible? Currently I’m selecting the farther left track for it to reflect on the screen in the mixer view.

2. With the big encoder/knob i would like to be able to scroll through the tracks on the mixer on screen.

Thanks so much!
ldhall1856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:26 AM   #82
NsaintP

Default Desperate for help setting up Faderport 8!

Hi guys,

I'm about to jump off a bridge. I've been trying to get Faderport 8 set up with no success for a few days now. I've read every post and tried everything I can think of. Mackie mode works of course, but that's quite limited.

I'm posting screenshots of my settings. As far as I can tell I've got everything set up right. FP sees my tracks, the scribble strip is displaying correct information. But all I can is change volume with faders. Latch, Trim, Touch buttons etc do nothing and won't light up. Shift turns the Pan button on and off. But that's about it.

Please help! I've updated to latest Faderport 8 to firmware 3.44 with PreSonus's Universal Controller software. The CSI Folder I downloaded and used for install is: CSI v1_0.zip from Reaper Stash. It was posted on May 18,2021 so I believe it is the current version.

Thanks heaps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Control Surface Settings.JPG (29.3 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg Homepage.JPG (20.8 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg Midi Surface.JPG (29.0 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg Preferences.JPG (51.9 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg Universal Control.JPG (30.6 KB, 180 views)
NsaintP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 05:50 PM   #83
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NsaintP View Post
Hi guys,

I'm about to jump off a bridge. I've been trying to get Faderport 8 set up with no success for a few days now. I've read every post and tried everything I can think of. Mackie mode works of course, but that's quite limited.

I'm posting screenshots of my settings. As far as I can tell I've got everything set up right. FP sees my tracks, the scribble strip is displaying correct information. But all I can is change volume with faders. Latch, Trim, Touch buttons etc do nothing and won't light up. Shift turns the Pan button on and off. But that's about it.

Please help! I've updated to latest Faderport 8 to firmware 3.44 with PreSonus's Universal Controller software. The CSI Folder I downloaded and used for install is: CSI v1_0.zip from Reaper Stash. It was posted on May 18,2021 so I believe it is the current version.

Thanks heaps.
If you're using the same version of the FP8s1.zon file that I have on my PC, some things have changed since that file was created, and as a result, it needs some work to be made functional again.

For instance, Read, Write, Trim, Touch and Latch use the "TrackAutoMode" action in CSI. That action requires it being in a zone with a navigator.

So you could put them into a new zone like this:

Code:
Zone "SelectedChannel"
  SelectedTrackNavigator

Read         TrackAutoMode "1" { 0 4 0  0 96 0 }
  Write        TrackAutoMode "3" { 4 0 0  127 0 0 }
  Trim         TrackAutoMode "0" { 1 3 3  127 127 127 }
  Touch        TrackAutoMode "2" { 2 3 0  112 112 00 }
  Latch        TrackAutoMode "4" { 4 0 4  96 0 96 }
  Off          TrackAutoMode "5" { 0 0 10 0 32 127 }

Arm          TrackRecordArm  // arms SELECTED tracks
ZoneEnd

But then you'd need to go into your Home zone and also add that new zone like this:

Code:
Zone "Home"
  IncludedZones
     "Buttons"
     "Channel"
     "SelectedChannel"
     "PanSelected"
  IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd
Then there's a bunch of actions like this that appear to have nothing assigned to them. You could go through those one by one and begin adding actions to fill out those buttons.

Code:
  Channel      NoAction //a lot of stuff could be done with these
  Zoom         NoAction
  Scroll       NoAction
  Bank         NoAction
  Master       NoAction
  Click        NoAction
  Section      NoAction
  Marker       NoAction
...you can go through the CSI Wiki to look for native CSI actions to use there, or use Reaper actions to fill out those buttons.

For instance you can do something like this with the Click and Marker buttons:

Code:
  Click           Reaper 40364      // Toggle metronome
  Shift+Click     Reaper 40363      // Show metronome settings
  Marker          Reaper 40171      // Insert marker at current or edit position
  Alt+Marker      Reaper 40173      // Go to next marker or project end
  Shift+Marker    Reaper 40172      // Go to previous marker or project start
Note: I don't have the FP8, and I'm not sure I'm using the same version of the files as you. So I'm just guessing based on a version of those files I have in my CSI folder.

If you make the changes above and get stuck, then please post your .zon file here, we can help further.

Maybe someone here has a more updated set of FP8s1 files they can share.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:21 PM   #84
NsaintP

Default Thanks

Thanks Funkybot. I'm not a technical genius but at first glance I can more or less follow your reply. I was hoping not to have to get into the actual scripting stuff but maybe its a blessing in disguise. This way I can fully customize my rig.

But just to be clear - the Faderport 8 has the ability to use faders for creating and editing envelopes, control sends etc? I'm mainly interested in Mixing, so automation etc is HUGE. Wouldn't have purchased it otherwise.

Also, would it be a good idea to have a download that covers the basics? My impression going in was that the idea was to replicate the FP8's ability with Studio One. Which sounds great! But now it seems it's more a game of customizing your unit to taste.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:09 PM   #85
Funkybot

Quote:
Thanks Funkybot. I'm not a technical genius but at first glance I can more or less follow your reply. I was hoping not to have to get into the actual scripting stuff but maybe its a blessing in disguise. This way I can fully customize my rig.
I wouldn't even call editing a zon file scripting. It's really just mapping via a text file. It's not too technical or difficult at all. You just need to know the basics of things. The CSI wiki and Action Reference list is your friend.

Quote:
But just to be clear - the Faderport 8 has the ability to use faders for creating and editing envelopes, control sends etc? I'm mainly interested in Mixing, so automation etc is HUGE. Wouldn't have purchased it otherwise.
Yes, Reaper+CSI+FaderPort8 will cover your mixing needs including automation. Really, it's Reaper doing all the automation, the Control Surface is just telling Reaper what to do or playing back what Reaper says.

Quote:
Also, would it be a good idea to have a download that covers the basics? My impression going in was that the idea was to replicate the FP8's ability with Studio One. Which sounds great! But now it seems it's more a game of customizing your unit to taste.
Keep in mind that this is a community driven project and Reaper is not Studio One and vice versa. The FaderPort8 was specifically designed for how Presonus thinks a Control Surface should integrate with Studio One. Most of those features will translate to other DAWs and can be recreated in Reaper, but some things may not translate 100%. For instance, what's that "Master" button meant to do? Do you want to assign a fader to the masterfader in Reaper? You can do that! But it'll take some setting up of a .zon file to make it happen.

I think your best bet is to start small. Make some of the changes I recommended, then try to make some customizations yourself. If you get stuck, post back. We'll get you sorted. CSI is incredibly rewarding. No DAW on the market can touch Reaper+CSI when it comes to integrating and customizing a control surface setup. Literally nothing. It's worth learning the basics. You'll be glad you did.
Old 07-05-2021, 10:19 PM   #86
NsaintP

Default Amen to that

Amen (or OM-en) to that!

Reaper is incredible, no doubt about it. I take your point that it really is all about customization. Still, it would be awesome if two or three people who had been working with FP8 (or 16 or whatever)for years now and developed comprehensive mappings would post them for people like me who are just getting started. I could see that changing the DAW landscape once people started making videos showing their workflow. Who would want to mix with a mouse?

Thanks Funkybot
Old 07-07-2021, 10:08 PM   #87
NsaintP

Default This is AMAZING

Hi all,

Just leaving a message for posterity. In retrospect, setting up my Faderport 8 with Reaper wasn't that difficult. As someone more on the music side of things than the technical side, it took me longer to get up and running than most I imagine. But once you get your head around mapping buttons, faders ets, there really is no limit to what you can do, as per Funkybot and others in this thread. This will likely change my workflow forever. Remember, music is about EARS not EYES. It's worth persisting until everything clicks.

All the Best!
Old 08-04-2021, 12:32 PM   #88
Smokehead

It seems like i'm slowly going crazy...

I'm trying to set up the faderport 8 with fw3.44 and CSI_1.1 / CSI_Exp (tried both) with reaper.

I'm using the provided files and follow the steps described in the wiki-installation description.

When i'm clicking OK to close the configuration window my faderport resets everything and all faders go to zero. Sadly there's nothing happening after that. I can't control anything and the faderport doesn't react to any further action in reaper.

I've tried to follow the step with the "Reaper-Action: CSI Edit Mode" which isn't available. There are only four actions: Toggle show input, Toggle show Output, Toggle show params when fx inserted and toggle write params etc..

There is no action like "CSI Edit Mode".

My system:

* macOS 11.4 Big Sur
* Reaper v6.33 (installed today..)
* CSI_1.1 / CSI_Exp
* Faderport 8 - Firmware: v3.44 (Running in Studio One Mode)

The faderport just works fine studio one as well as when it's connected using the default MCU-MIDI-Protocol in MCU-Logic mode.

Can anybody tell me where i went wrong? It can't be that hard..

The only thing i've noticed is that i had to 'open' the .dylib one time and accept opening this piece of software to avoid that message that ".. can't be opened because security scan" stuff.. Unsigned developer or checks for malware or something similar. After right-click->open and accepting that i really want to open that piece of software i could start reaper without any messages/errors.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Smokehead
Smokehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:07 PM   #89
Funkybot

Smokehead, when you say "I'm using the provided files" what files are you talking about?

Here's the basic concept:

1. You install CSI
2. You download someone else's [or create] .mst and .zon files for surfaces and put them in the approriate .zon folder
3. You setup CSI in Reaper
4. You point it to your .mst file for your surface
5. You point it to your Zone folder for your surface
6. You setup the ports (make sure they're disabled in Reaper) and channel counts

And you're basically good to go.

So my question is: do you have .mst and .zon files for your Faderport? If no, we need to find you some (hopefully someone has migrated and can share). If you do have some existing files, post them here. There were some syntax changes requires for CSI version 1.1.

We'll get you up and running!

Also, can you help me find where in the wiki it references the "CSI: Edit Mode" action? That's outdated information. I can fix the wiki.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #90
Smokehead

Well, that was "easy"...

Shortly after posting i've found the actual CSI-Repository on Github.
Followed the wiki, saw there's no such "Edit Mode" step anymore.
Afterwards i've found the Changelog and saw that splitting the zones into their own files i've split the FP8s1.zon into multiple files. Tried again, and it works.

It seems like i've got a mixture of newer versions, older descriptions and a somewhere inbetween .zon file.
I've found that file on the resource page (from January, 27th if i remember correctly).
I must have used a bad link to the wiki or something similar.

Now i'm happy.

What's still bothering me is that i had two crashes of the faderport. I had to reconnect it to use it again.
Additionally it seems like the faders are sometimes fighting with themselves. There's some jitter and they sound like they try to move out of bounds (upwards or downwards).

Just two more question.. I'm used to have a possibility to jump back to the beginning. The wiki talks about an action which should make this happen (on the transport control page) but i can't find the action in the actionlist. I'd like to map it to
Code:
Hold+Stop

And the rewind/fast forward is kind of... strange. I have to press multiple times to get forward or backward. I can't simply hold to continue moving. Maybe there's some configuration issue on my side.

Is there a way to reverse-engineer the commands send between the control and s1/the software to "catch" the required messages and map them to actions?

Thanks for your quick answer! I really appreciate your and Geoffs work!

P.S.: I could upload the configs (with reference to the original creator if i can find his name again..) so others can make use of them too!

Cheers,
Smokehead

EDIT: I'll upload them tomorrow. (maybe to a github repo, that's easier for multiple files and for future upgrades).

Last edited by Smokehead; 08-04-2021 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something
Old 08-04-2021, 02:04 PM   #91
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokehead View Post
What's still bothering me is that i had two crashes of the faderport. I had to reconnect it to use it again.
I haven't heard anyone else with a FaderPort report this or of jitters. Maybe someone else already has some CSI v1.1 files they can share. If you want to post the ones you modified, I haven't run into an author that had a problem with that yet (just credit them and note that you've changes) - we can take a quick look to see if anything sticks out as immediately incorrect.

We've kicked around some ideas about how to make it easy to share files. I think Geoff is still looking into some options. I agree it would be ideal if we had more ready to go CSI v1.1 files. In version 1.0 we had a ton that were included in the CSI build, but it seemed excessive to include a bunch of zones if someone only has one or two surfaces out of 25.

Quote:
Just two more question.. I'm used to have a possibility to jump back to the beginning. The wiki talks about an action which should make this happen (on the transport control page) but i can't find the action in the actionlist. I'd like to map it to
Code:
Hold+Stop
Try this...
Code:
Hold+Stop    Reaper 40042      // Go to start of project
Quote:
And the rewind/fast forward is kind of... strange. I have to press multiple times to get forward or backward. I can't simply hold to continue moving. Maybe there's some configuration issue on my side.
Yeah, there's no way to repeat an action when a button is held down just yet. At least not that I know of. But it's been requested a few times. Hopefully CSI v1.2
Old 08-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #92
Smokehead

Thanks again for your answer.

https://github.com/JanFeld/reaper-csi-configs

Here's the link to my config files, i've created a repository to update them on changes, maybe someone can use them too.

A nice way to share files would be great! I fully understand that it's unnecessary to include all these files as well as a lot of work to maintain them. On any change you'd have to update all files and test them. That's just too much overhead. The community can do this as long as the documentation is updated. A collection would be good though.

Great, thanks! That command worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot
Yeah, there's no way to repeat an action when a button is held down just yet. At least not that I know of. But it's been requested a few times. Hopefully CSI v1.2
I'll hope for the best. I'm still using the Experimental stuff, looking forward to check new features and maybe test them ..

Cheers,
Smokehead
Old 08-05-2021, 01:24 PM   #93
Funkybot

Quote:
Thanks again for your answer.

https://github.com/JanFeld/reaper-csi-configs

Here's the link to my config files, i've created a repository to update them on changes, maybe someone can use them too.
I do like that approach of just having them in a Github repository like that. Maybe that's something Geoff might want to replicate and get some surfaces and potentially even FX zones going that way.

Looking at your files, the Send zone needs fixing.

Name the zone:

SelectedTrackSend

and the Navigator name is now:

SelectedTrackSendNavigator

...the mapping action in the Buttons zone doesn't need updating.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #94
Smokehead

@Funkybot Thanks for all your help! I'm currently pretty happy with playing around with settings and stuff.

I just don't get the Color-/LED-Maps.
The Button-LEDs in the User-Section (Right Button-Bar, Track, Edit-Plugins, ..) are simply not toggled even if the buttons work like intended.

Additionally i'm wondering if there are some actions which are not available in the actionlist but actually available in Reaper. Are there any possibilities to trigger them somehow? I'd love to toggle the bypass of the last selected FX (not the whole Channel-FX, just the last opened/modified FX) without the need of mapping all the plugins. When the FX-Window (non-floating) is open, it's possible to toggle using [Ctrl/Cmd + B] (Win/Mac). I didn't find any related action to this specific task in the action list. That would be great to have in addition to the "Last Modified Parameter" controls.

I'm still not quite sure how CSI works under the hood so i'm curios if it's possible to trigger Shortcuts/Key-Commands and/or or non action-list actions..

Thanks again!

P.S.: I've modified my controls over the last few days. I've fixed some of the things i've seen as well as your suggestion regarding the "Send"-Zone. Actually i'm at a point where i should start the first cleanup of unused/buggy stuff.. At least locally.

Cheers
Smokehead
Old 08-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #95
Funkybot

Are you using the action: SWS/S&M: Toggle last FX bypass for selected tracks?

If so, yes, you can assign a button to that in CSI. You could do something like:
Code:
SomeButton      Reaper "_S&M_FXBYPLAST"
You get that by right clicking the action in the Reaper Action list and selecting "Copy selected action command ID" from the right-click menu.

There are a few examples on the Wiki here:

https://github.com/GeoffAWaddington/...reaper-actions
Old 08-19-2021, 11:19 AM   #96
Smokehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Are you using the action: SWS/S&M: Toggle last FX bypass for selected tracks?

If so, yes, you can assign a button to that in CSI. You could do something like:
Code:
SomeButton      Reaper _S&M_FXBYPLAST
You get that by right clicking the action in the Reaper Action list and selecting "Copy selected action command ID" from the right-click menu.
Actually not.. I've just noticed i didn't install SWS/S&M yet (pretty fresh system right now..). Thanks for the answer. That will help for sure.

I'm playing with the FX Mappings too, some trouble getting all maps to work. The 'Bypass'-Button on the FP works but it's a On/Off (release) type button which toggles just temporary (as long as i press). Additionally i've still got no success with the colors. At least i could modify the ones which are already configured.. ;-)

I think i'll add some VST-/Plugin-Maps to the repo too some day.. I'm having fun here..

Cheers,
Smokehead
Old 08-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #97
Funkybot

Quote:
Actually not.. I've just noticed i didn't install SWS/S&M yet (pretty fresh system right now..). Thanks for the answer. That will help for sure.

I'm playing with the FX Mappings too, some trouble getting all maps to work. The 'Bypass'-Button on the FP works but it's a On/Off (release) type button which toggles just temporary (as long as i press). Additionally i've still got no success with the colors. At least i could modify the ones which are already configured.. ;-)

I think i'll add some VST-/Plugin-Maps to the repo too some day.. I'm having fun here..

Cheers,
Smokehead

When it comes to bypassing effects, toggles of any kind, or even stepped parameters, the syntax is as such:
Code:
RotaryPushB8 FXParam 0 "Bypass" [ 0.0 1.0 ]
The first number is always the minimum step value, the second value is always the maximum step value. For toggles, the off state is 0.0 and the on state is 1.0. Hence the above.

If you needed more steps in between, you could just add using the same syntax...
Code:
RotaryPushB8 FXParam 10 "3-way Switch" [ 0.0 0.5 1.0 ]
Old 08-19-2021, 11:29 AM   #98
Smokehead

It works! Thank you VERY much. That's perfect!

I didn't think about normal buttons when i read that syntax.
Maybe i should have a much deeper look inside the doc..

Cheers,
Smokehead
Old 08-28-2021, 09:51 AM   #99
xsdrumx

Hi Folks!!

I use faderport v2 with CSI, load zones-FPv2.zon and Surfaces - FPv2.mst

help me please how to make the last touch parameter of the alignment in the plugin respond to the blue knob or fader. thx
xsdrumx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #100
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdrumx View Post
Hi Folks!!

I use faderport v2 with CSI, load zones-FPv2.zon and Surfaces - FPv2.mst

help me please how to make the last touch parameter of the alignment in the plugin respond to the blue knob or fader. thx
You need a FocusedFX zone.

Here's a set of CSI v1.1 files for the Faderport where if you press Shift+Channel it will enter the Focused FX zone. If you use these files, be sure to set the Fader count to 0 in the CSI device preferences and the Send count to 1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5v6g40c7hu..._v1-1.zip?dl=1
Old 08-28-2021, 10:51 AM   #101
xsdrumx

Quote:
You need a FocusedFX zone.

Here's a set of CSI v1.1 files for the Faderport where if you press Shift+Channel it will enter the Focused FX zone. If you use these files, be sure to set the Fader count to 0 in the CSI device preferences and the Send count to 1.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5v6g40c7hu..._v1-1.zip?dl=1
THX a lot!!!!!!! it's work great!!!!
xsdrumx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #102
plexus

hello! I am a mac reaper user. I have my eye on a Faderport 16. I read through this thread and it's more advanced than where I am now. It looks like there will be some work involved in integrating FP16 with Reaper, is that the case? By this time, is there a simple install/setup to get the FP16 to work with Reaper, or does it require a lot of fiddling around with software, as it looks like in this thread? I'd just like to know ahead of time what I would need to do to get a FP16 to work with Reaper on a Mac?
plexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #103
ldhall1856

Default Faderports and plugins

Hi all,

I've been using CSI for about 6 months and its working great!

I'm trying to take my setup to the next level and be able to adjust plugin parameters. I've made a new zon file but it won't do what i'm wanting it to do. I'm wanting to change my decay time.

I've attaching my files. Would greatly appreciate it

L. Hall
Attached Files
File Type: zip FP16S1 ldh copy.zip (4.5 KB, 125 views)
Old 10-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #104
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhall1856 View Post
Hi all,

I've been using CSI for about 6 months and its working great!

I'm trying to take my setup to the next level and be able to adjust plugin parameters. I've made a new zon file but it won't do what i'm wanting it to do. I'm wanting to change my decay time.

I've attaching my files. Would greatly appreciate it

L. Hall
These are CSI v1.0 files...just an FYI because if you update to the latest CSI, these would require some rewrites.

How do you want to activate the FXmapping? By just focusing the FX? If yes, do this...

1. Add this to your surface.zon files

Code:

Zone "Home"
OnFXFocus MapFocusedFXToWidgets
  IncludedZones
	"Buttons"
    "Channel"
	"PanSelected"
  IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd
2. Do something like this in your fx.zon....
Code:
Zone "VST: Repeater (D16 Group Audio Software)"
FocusedFXNavigator

Fader1     FXParam 0
DisplayA1  FXNameDisplay
DisplayB1  FXParamNameDisplay 0 "Input Gain"
DisplayC1  FXParamValueDisplay 0

Fader2  FXParam 1 "Ping Pong Mode"
etc.
ZoneEnd
Old 10-05-2021, 01:21 PM   #105
ldhall1856

Default Thank you, Funkybot

Quote:
These are CSI v1.0 files...just an FYI because if you update to the latest CSI, these would require some rewrites.

How do you want to activate the FXmapping? By just focusing the FX? If yes, do this...

1. Add this to your surface.zon files

Code:

Zone "Home"
OnFXFocus MapFocusedFXToWidgets
  IncludedZones
	"Buttons"
    "Channel"
	"PanSelected"
  IncludedZonesEnd
ZoneEnd
2. Do something like this in your fx.zon....
Code:
Zone "VST: Repeater (D16 Group Audio Software)"
FocusedFXNavigator

Fader1     FXParam 0
DisplayA1  FXNameDisplay
DisplayB1  FXParamNameDisplay 0 "Input Gain"
DisplayC1  FXParamValueDisplay 0

Fader2  FXParam 1 "Ping Pong Mode"
etc.
ZoneEnd
WOW!

First off thanks for the quick response.

second, I tried it and it worked.

Here is my ultimate goal... I would love to be able to set up a button, not a rotary or fader, to set the decay. I would love for this to be available without having to go to the plugin section on the faderport, but that may not be possible...

I'm having trouble figuring out how to set the parameter for a button to do the tap function. This also my not be possible.

I'm running reaper in a live environment for a broadcast mix, thats why it would be helpful.

Lastly, should i upgrade to the latest version of CSI?

Thanks,
L. Hall
Old 10-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #106
Funkybot

Quote:
Here is my ultimate goal... I would love to be able to set up a button, not a rotary or fader, to set the decay. I would love for this to be available without having to go to the plugin section on the faderport, but that may not be possible...
Do you mean delay? Or decay? I don't see a decay parameter in D16's Repeater.

VST/CSI parameters are scaled to 0.0 to 1.0. So let's say you wanted a button to cycle through 0%, 50%, and 100% values of a particular FX Param. You could do that like this...

Code:
Marker	FXParam 3 [ 0.0 0.5 1.0 ]
Want to go backwards? How about using a Shift modifier to reverse the direction?
Code:
Shift+Marker FXParam 3 [ 1.0 0.5 0.0 ]
...just add that to the FX.zon file. CSI will place any buttons or knobs in the FX zone "on top of" what they were previously mapped to. So if you're in your Home.zon and the Marker button inserts markers, there's no reason you couldn't use the focusing of an FX to reassign that button in the fx.zon.

Worst thing you'd need to do is have a GoZone Home button somewhere to get you back home when needed.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:10 PM   #107
Funkybot

Regarding updating to CSI 1.1, I would recommend it, but there's quite a few changes. See the Wiki page:

https://github.com/GeoffAWaddington/...on-1.1-Changes
Old 10-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #108
ldhall1856

Quote:
Do you mean delay? Or decay? I don't see a decay parameter in D16's Repeater.

VST/CSI parameters are scaled to 0.0 to 1.0. So let's say you wanted a button to cycle through 0%, 50%, and 100% values of a particular FX Param. You could do that like this...

Code:
Want to go backwards? How about using a Shift modifier to reverse the direction?
Code:
Shift+Marker FXParam 3 [ 1.0 0.5 0.0 ]
...just add that to the FX.zon file. CSI will place any buttons or knobs in the FX zone "on top of" what they were previously mapped to. So if you're in your Home.zon and the Marker button inserts markers, there's no reason you couldn't use the focusing of an FX to reassign that button in the fx.zon.

Worst thing you'd need to do is have a GoZone Home button somewhere to get you back home when needed.
Yes, you are correct about the delay,

So, i guess what your saying is there is no way to tap out the beat for the delay?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 4.22.15 PM.png (57.0 KB, 122 views)
Old 10-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #109
Funkybot

Quote:
Yes, you are correct about the delay,

So, i guess what your saying is there is no way to tap out the beat for the delay?
Ah, I see. The tap tempo button in D16! That doesn't appear on the automation parameter list. CSI can only control things for which there is a VST automation parameter.

Question: why not just sync to the delay time to the beat division you want (say quarter notes) and use the Tap Tempo function in Reaper (I have that assigned to Alt+Spacebar) to do the same thing?
Old 10-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #110
ldhall1856

Quote:
Ah, I see. The tap tempo button in D16! That doesn't appear on the automation parameter list. CSI can only control things for which there is a VST automation parameter.

Question: why not just sync to the delay time to the beat division you want (say quarter notes) and use the Tap Tempo function in Reaper (I have that assigned to Alt+Spacebar) to do the same thing?
I wish I understood... What is the flow to that and how does it get to the D16?
Old 10-06-2021, 09:53 AM   #111
Funkybot

Quote:
I wish I understood... What is the flow to that and how does it get to the D16?
D16 can be synced to the host (Sync Mode: Host). So if the host [Reaper] is playing at 136BPM and you want a quarter note delay, you just enable sync, set the delay note to 1/4 note, and tempo in Reaper to 136 BPM and everything is in sync.

The only time the Tap Tempo comes into play is if you use Sync Mode = None. Then you can tap in the time. While guitar players do this all the time with hardware effects in a live scenario, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to use this in a DAW.

So my suggestion is this: don't map the tap tempo on button D16. Just use the Host Sync=DAW option. Then, if for some reason you still need to tap tempo, like you're playing live and don't know the tempo yet, you can use the built-in Tap Tempo action in Reaper and set the tempo in the host. This would get you the same result.

Otherwise, I'm just not getting your use case as to why you'd want to use a Tap Tempo button on a delay plugin running in Reaper. Either way, it's a moot point if the tap tempo button can't be automated in the D16 plugin.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #112
ldhall1856

Quote:
D16 can be synced to the host (Sync Mode: Host). So if the host [Reaper] is playing at 136BPM and you want a quarter note delay, you just enable sync, set the delay note to 1/4 note, and tempo in Reaper to 136 BPM and everything is in sync.

The only time the Tap Tempo comes into play is if you use Sync Mode = None. Then you can tap in the time. While guitar players do this all the time with hardware effects in a live scenario, it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to use this in a DAW.

So my suggestion is this: don't map the tap tempo on button D16. Just use the Host Sync=DAW option. Then, if for some reason you still need to tap tempo, like you're playing live and don't know the tempo yet, you can use the built-in Tap Tempo action in Reaper and set the tempo in the host. This would get you the same result.

Otherwise, I'm just not getting your use case as to why you'd want to use a Tap Tempo button on a delay plugin running in Reaper. Either way, it's a moot point if the tap tempo button can't be automated in the D16 plugin.
That's great!

for some reason my tap tempo from reaper isn't affecting the D16... even tho its on Host
Old 10-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #113
Funkybot

Quote:
That's great!

for some reason my tap tempo from reaper isn't affecting the D16... even tho its on Host
I just tried here and it's working.

I had a basic 1/4 delay in Repeater. Then I used Alt+Spacebar to change the tempo in Reaper from 120 BPM to 198 BPM, and then the delay times adjusted and shortened appropriately.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:39 AM   #114
NsaintP

Default Faderport not connecting with Reaper?

Hi all,

I set up Faderport 8 with Reaper a few months ago when I had some free time and it worked great. Studio One mode. Now for some reason it doesn't seem to connect with Reaper. The scribble strip remains stuck at the PreSonus Studio One 'Waiting for Host' message. I've tried all combinations of starting Reaper with FP already on and 'waiting' and starting FP when Reaper open and ready to go. I may have switched Zon files in OSC at some point from the original I downloaded (FP8S1? Or is that my own shorthand?) to Faderportv2 which is what it is set to currently.

I'm not even sure where to start troubleshooting as I'm just savvy enough to have followed the instructions and got FP up and running.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:55 AM   #115
1Man

Default Almost there...

I have almost everything working on my Faderport. I am stuck at mapping the sends though. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip New folder.zip (8.6 KB, 120 views)
1Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:25 AM   #116
Funkybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Man View Post
I have almost everything working on my Faderport. I am stuck at mapping the sends though. Any help is appreciated.
Replace what you currently have for these two widgets with this in your Buttons zone:
Code:
Zone "Buttons"
  Track        MapSelectedTrackFXToMenu
  Send         MapSelectedTrackSendsToWidgets
...those files you had were using older, depreciated CSI actions.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:36 PM   #117
NsaintP

Quote:
Hi all,

I set up Faderport 8 with Reaper a few months ago when I had some free time and it worked great. Studio One mode. Now for some reason it doesn't seem to connect with Reaper. The scribble strip remains stuck at the PreSonus Studio One 'Waiting for Host' message. I've tried all combinations of starting Reaper with FP already on and 'waiting' and starting FP when Reaper open and ready to go. I may have switched Zon files in OSC at some point from the original I downloaded (FP8S1? Or is that my own shorthand?) to Faderportv2 which is what it is set to currently.

I'm not even sure where to start troubleshooting as I'm just savvy enough to have followed the instructions and got FP up and running.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
BUMP BUMP. Anyone Home?
Old 10-14-2021, 07:04 PM   #118
Funkybot

Quote:
BUMP BUMP. Anyone Home?
Did you update your CSI? The syntax changed when CSI went version 1.1. That could be why things aren't working.

If not that, then I'd suggest:

1. Post a screen print of your Reaper -> Preferences -> MIDI Devices (the Faderport should be disabled)

2. Post a screen print of your CSI device settings for the Faderport

3. Post the contents of your csi.ini

4. Post the contents of your Faderport zone folder

...we need to be able to see what you're seeing.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:52 PM   #119
Funkybot

Any brave soul want to try out this set of CSI v1.1 for the Faderport. Very similar to the files that have been going around (modified 1Man's files, which appear to be modified from Airon) with some changes:

1. Sends should work

2. Uses a Selected Track FX Menu to select FX

3. Adds a master track zone where the big dial adjusts master track volume and pressing it should hopefully reset the master track volume to unity (please try that with speakers turned down)

4. Minor tweaks throughout

Would love to hear from an FP8 user if this works as a jumping off point for CSI v1.1 and if anything doesn't work that otherwise should. Lots of buttons still left with NoAction commands for customization.

I don't actually own the surface so I can't test myself, but I'm just trying to take the files I've seen recently and do a CSI v1.1 version. I don't think I've otherwise seen a Faderport set of files for CSI v1.1.

EDIT:
Airon posted his files here: https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=15196

Last edited by Funkybot; 10-18-2021 at 06:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:34 AM   #120
1Man

Thank you for the help so far. I just tried out the new file, and the "Track", "Edit Plugins", "Sends", and "Pan" buttons all seem to be non-functional.

I also just noticed when I press the "Macro" button, my display for my 8th track fader changes to read "FX" and it seems to be set to apply the last clicked FX parameter to my 8th fader. Which is kinda nice with my setup actually, unless I want to control multiple FX parameters at once.
1Man is offline   Reply With Quote