Old 10-13-2021, 05:10 PM   #1
DThompson55
Human being with feelings

Default Live Sound Question

This is not Reaper specific. The minister at our church has a BIG voice, talks loudly. The lay people who help with the service use the same mic. Some of them have little dainty voices. The person who runs sound, who is not me, wants everyone's voice to be well heard.

They asked me, should I be using a limiter? I do not know if or how a limiter would help in this situation. I can barely make one work in a musical situation unless you need to smother the drums, in which case call me.

So I thought I'd ask here? What would you do to make it so all of the speakers can be equally well heard?
Old 10-13-2021, 05:18 PM   #2
DVDdoug

The person running the sound should turn-up the volume when someone else is speaking. But of course there is only so-much gain you can get without feedback.

This kind of thing is difficult to automate.

You could limit the minister's voice but that will change the character of the sound and it actually won't make it that much quieter.

...Limiting works on the peaks and the peaks aren't correlated well with loudness. In recording/production we use limiting with make-up gain to make quiet sounds louder, but that's because we can't just turn-up the volume without clipping the peaks. That's normally not the problem in live set-ups.
DVDdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:21 PM   #3
The Kid

I'd use 2 mics
The Kid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:46 PM   #4
DThompson55

two mics - brilliant.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #5
Fergler

Depends how extensive the soundboard is. You could push it with one mic if its a digital board with a filterable compressor to target lows as the detector with a long release time. The boomy voice will be turned down but dainty voices should pass through the compression.

Also, you can tell the minister to move the mic further away from himself, then compensate the monitors if there are any and the overall volume.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:35 AM   #6
TheGreatK

Use one mic. If the desk is analog split it with Y cable and feed two channels. You can set two different gains, EQ and different dynamic processing. If it is digital, use the same method, or share one mic preamp across two different channels. Set gain according to the loudest source and use different EQ/dynamics for both channels. The weaker channel can be gain compensated by digital trim or added output of its compressor. I don't belevie one compressor could do the trick if the sources are so different. One would be squashed while the other barely touched.
Another method would be sending the channel (without Y splits and micpre sharing) without any compression to audio group (not vca, dca), and aplying compression there. This way you ride the channel fader all the time, but its signsl meets the group compressor in the same manner, more or less.
TheGreatK is offline   Reply With Quote