Old 09-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
zakkeast
Human being with feelings

Default The Win10 computer crashed

My brother was testing his product on my computer yesterday,(A software he developed),but after that, my computer crashed, the computer can't work properly, I'm stuck on the computer login screen, the password is not accepted,what's more, my brother doesn't admit that he made any changes to the computer.
zakkeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #2
serr

And the punchline is this wouldn't have happened in OSX?
As much fun as it has been to rip on Windows and feel smug and all that...

Maybe it really was Windows crashing and burning. Or maybe it was a "social engineering" attack. (Tricking you into entering your password and installing something that wasn't the something you thought it was. Which can happen just as easily in OSX BTW.)

Making a backup clone of your system drive gives you the ability to overwrite your primary drive back from the clone when you do such a thing to yourself. Keeping a disk image file of your system install in addition to regular backups lets you restore from that if you miss something bad and end up corrupting your backup clone too.

If you haven't been doing that, it's manual restore time!
*Wipe the drive. Re-install OS. Install all your apps.

* Got data on that drive that you also haven't backed up yet?
You'll have to try to copy that first. Careful not to infect anything else when you do that if you did get something nasty!

Backups!
And they're just as important in OSX!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
zakkeast

Thanks, I am not sure if it is a "social engineering" attack, because i can't get into the computer right now, it's not clear that any other data in the computer is being compromised,I can't access my computer now,unfortunately, and I didn't make any backups of the data on my computer before .
As for "Re-install OS" ,i know i will loss everything on my computer after this ,isn't it ?
Old 09-19-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
Fergler

He probably went into the Bios for something and screwed up

You can probably reset the password from an administrator login through the startup tools also
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #5
bobobo

keyboard plugged in ?

why do i have to write about win10 issues in forum's OSX-Department ?
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:05 AM   #6
serr

The way out of this situation is to have a known system (or 3 or 4) available on a hard drive to boot into. Boot into your backup or one of your spare systems. Mount the drive with your 'crippled' system so you can copy any data or whatever from it. If you keep a backup clone you can boot into it and then clone from the backup to the primary (overwriting it) to recover.

You can never have too many spare/old/backup/whatever systems kicking around on spare hard drives. Kind of obnoxious to be shut down and not be able to boot up a computer because you didn't!

Whatever OS you prefer, this is how it's done.

On a Mac, you get the system picker by holding the option key down when you power the machine on. That lets you select the system you want to boot into when you have multiple drives with OS installs connected. I don't know what the keyboard shortcuts are in Windows but it should be something similar.

If you literally have no bootable backup volumes and you need to recover stuff from your crippled volume, you're just going to have to boot up the OS installer image and install to a spare hard drive. Once you have that "temp" system up and running you can mount your crippled system and extract your data. You can either try to repair the old system or simply overwrite it with your new install once you've recovered your data.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:41 AM   #7
zakkeast

I'm sorry to be so late .I came back from my trip today.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:44 AM   #8
zakkeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
He probably went into the Bios for something and screwed up

You can probably reset the password from an administrator login through the startup tools also
What should i do with the startup tools ? where can i get it ?
Old 09-25-2018, 02:46 AM   #9
zakkeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo View Post
keyboard plugged in ?

why do i have to write about win10 issues in forum's OSX-Department ?
I checked it ,it is ok .
Old 09-25-2018, 02:47 AM   #10
zakkeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
The way out of this situation is to have a known system (or 3 or 4) available on a hard drive to boot into. Boot into your backup or one of your spare systems. Mount the drive with your 'crippled' system so you can copy any data or whatever from it. If you keep a backup clone you can boot into it and then clone from the backup to the primary (overwriting it) to recover.

You can never have too many spare/old/backup/whatever systems kicking around on spare hard drives. Kind of obnoxious to be shut down and not be able to boot up a computer because you didn't!

Whatever OS you prefer, this is how it's done.

On a Mac, you get the system picker by holding the option key down when you power the machine on. That lets you select the system you want to boot into when you have multiple drives with OS installs connected. I don't know what the keyboard shortcuts are in Windows but it should be something similar.

If you literally have no bootable backup volumes and you need to recover stuff from your crippled volume, you're just going to have to boot up the OS installer image and install to a spare hard drive. Once you have that "temp" system up and running you can mount your crippled system and extract your data. You can either try to repair the old system or simply overwrite it with your new install once you've recovered your data.
I can't get into my computer. I can't do anything you said .
Old 09-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #11
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakkeast View Post
I can't get into my computer. I can't do anything you said .
Then you need to boot up the installer image and install a new system on a new or spare hard drive.

Once you have that running, you can mount your crippled system drive and copy your data.

Or are you saying that you don't even have your OS installer anymore?
If you don't have that, you'll have to download one somewhere (friend, library). Windows charges for their installer, so you'd have to pay again if you lost it. You could very likely find a Linux installer that would work with your system to get you started otherwise.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #12
karbomusic

Quote:
I'm stuck on the computer login screen, the password is not accepted,
What user are you logging in as, is it the same user you normally log in as?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:17 PM   #13
zakkeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Then you need to boot up the installer image and install a new system on a new or spare hard drive.

Once you have that running, you can mount your crippled system drive and copy your data.

Or are you saying that you don't even have your OS installer anymore?
If you don't have that, you'll have to download one somewhere (friend, library). Windows charges for their installer, so you'd have to pay again if you lost it. You could very likely find a Linux installer that would work with your system to get you started otherwise.
If I reinstall a new system, everything on the computer will be wiped out, right?
I was recommended to use the bootable disk by Google .
But I haven't had that experience before. I haven't tried it yet
Old 09-26-2018, 11:18 PM   #14
zakkeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
What user are you logging in as, is it the same user you normally log in as?
Local account.
Old 09-26-2018, 11:42 PM   #15
ivansc

What does your brother say? After all it appears to be his fault & therefore his problem to fix....
Old 10-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #16
zakkeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
What does your brother say? After all it appears to be his fault & therefore his problem to fix....
sorry I'm late,he said he didn't do anything,he asked me to reinstall the system, but I refused and I couldn't lose my computer files.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:17 PM   #17
zakkeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davers View Post
go to the Bios for something and screwed up or reinstall the operating system
If the OS is reinstalled, that means the files saved on the computer will be deleted, right?
Old 10-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #18
serr

Quote:
If the OS is reinstalled, that means the files saved on the computer will be deleted, right?
Only if you erased that drive and started installing your recovery system to it instead of somewhere else.
I tried to spell it out above.
You understand that the OS files and all of your data live on a hard drive right?
So, put that hard drive in question aside.
Install a new system on a DIFFERENT hard drive.
Once you get that running, you can mount your old hard drive and copy anything from it.
Now, you can clone from the new drive you just built a system on and copied your data to back to your old hard drive. At the end of the day you have everything back on your old hardware.

The above assumed you have your OS installer handy on a USB flash drive.
If you misplaced that (or never made one because you got the computer already with OS installed and just started using it out of the box), you're going to have to ask a friend for help or get to a machine at a library or somewhere to download an OS installer and install that to a USB flash drive.

Does that help or am I speaking Klingon?
Old 10-12-2018, 04:04 AM   #19
zakkeast

It makes me feel complicated,i'd rather take Fergler's advice ---Use the startup tools to reset my password.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #20
ivansc

FWIW a recent windows update did pretty much the same sort of thing to my laptop wich is on Home version of Win10. What had ACTUALLY happened (I found out after a morning spent floundering around ) was that the Windows update had decided to ressurrect an old local account I had wiped (I though) months ago instead of my main account. Logged in as admin and was able to reset everything.Unfortunately if you are logging in with a different account & you cant get to the Admin account you are facing some serious wrangling what ever you do.
I still say you should give your brother a good slapping: at least you`ll feel better.

(juuuust kidding)
Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #21
serr

Quote:
It makes me feel complicated,i'd rather take Fergler's advice ---Use the startup tools to reset my password.
When the recovery tools work easily, that's great!

When they don't...
The method I outlined is how you get back.

Moving forward, having a spare system or 3 lying around on spare external drives is the thing to do. It's such a show stopper to have your whole computer system shut down to you simply because you don't have a spare system lying around to plug in and boot into when (not if) something goes wrong.

Consider this:
If you only have one bootable system (!!!) and something get corrupt, now you have no choice but to figure out what happened and how to fix it. Could be ugly!

If you have a backup system on a spare hard drive that you keep up to date (ie. clone from your primary often enough), you can boot into it and simply overwrite from the backup drive to the primary drive. And here's the important part - without having to figure out how to actually fix something complicated!
Old 10-12-2018, 11:28 AM   #22
Glennbo

One other long shot possibility . . .

When I was in software development, several times I had users call who were locked out of their computers, and after a bit of diagnosing learned that they had all numeric passwords AND the boot up state of the NUM LOCK key on their machines had gotten flipped.

They were using the numeric keypad, and I accidentally figured it out by having them try keying in their password in using the numeric keys above the alpha keys.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:30 PM   #23
zakkeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
FWIW a recent windows update did pretty much the same sort of thing to my laptop wich is on Home version of Win10. What had ACTUALLY happened (I found out after a morning spent floundering around ) was that the Windows update had decided to ressurrect an old local account I had wiped (I though) months ago instead of my main account. Logged in as admin and was able to reset everything.Unfortunately if you are logging in with a different account & you cant get to the Admin account you are facing some serious wrangling what ever you do.
I still say you should give your brother a good slapping: at least you`ll feel better.

(juuuust kidding)
Everything is limited ,but your suggestion is not bad.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:33 PM   #24
zakkeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
One other long shot possibility . . .

When I was in software development, several times I had users call who were locked out of their computers, and after a bit of diagnosing learned that they had all numeric passwords AND the boot up state of the NUM LOCK key on their machines had gotten flipped.

They were using the numeric keypad, and I accidentally figured it out by having them try keying in their password in using the numeric keys above the alpha keys.
I've thought so before,but it's not their fault.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:13 AM   #25
Jooheas

Don't get too complicated with this problem, you can reinstall a clean system if you want, but you'll lose the data and files you saved on your computer before ,or you can make a bootable disk for the crashed computer ,it can boot your pc again and reset password get more : https://www.iseepassword.com/reset-w...-password.html
But you need to set a new password for your computer if you succeed.

Last edited by Jooheas; 10-25-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Jooheas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 03:38 AM   #26
zakkeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooheas View Post
Don't get too complicated with this problem, you can reinstall a clean system if you want, but you'll lose the data and files you saved on your computer before ,or you can make a passwrd reset disk for the crashed computer ,it can remove the old password. but you need to set a new password for your computer if you succeed.
Somthing i just want to know , the lost file or data can be restored if i reinstall a new system ?if not , i won't do that,i'm more interested in password reset disks.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:32 AM   #27
Easerd

Quote:
The lost file or data can be restored if i reinstall a new system ?if not , i won't do that,i'm more interested in password reset disks.
I am not sure,maybe the lost data or file can be recovered back with some recovery tool or not.
Why not test these tools on your computer for Windows 10? i used it and didn't lost any data from Windows computer.
http://www.oxid.it/cain.html
https://www.mobiledic.com/windows-to...-password.html

Last edited by Easerd; 03-10-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Easerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:05 AM   #28
sai'ke

You could use a Ubuntu or knoppix live cd ( http://www.knoppix.org ) and see if you can mount your disks from linux to see if your data is still there. Then make a backup on an external disk or so, before you do anything (more) drastic.

Just remember to choose to boot from live cd and not 'install' the system

Or do what serr said. Install windows on a different disk, then mount the current one later

Good luck. Having a non-bootable system with stuff you still want to have but didn't backup is scary.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:39 PM   #29
Rasweo

The password should be accepted if it has not been chanaged.
However,this is a treasure trove of Windows 10 passwords,you can ask it any Windows 10 password issues.
Start from here:https://www.windows10passwordreset.com/

Last edited by Rasweo; 04-01-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Rasweo is offline   Reply With Quote