Old 10-28-2023, 09:24 AM   #1
Vagelis
Human being with feelings

Default Fixed Lanes Mode: Choke Items

Fixed lanes is an awesome feature that's allowing comping and layering, but I was hoping to have another action or mode like "Items always replace earlier items" that could work for all fixed lanes. With a small difference that the most bottom items would "choke" the upper items.

This is something that I've always wanted and now with FL I really hope to see this addition. Btw this is not like a comping replacement, but another mode for editing and re-arranging much easier, without having to deal with comp areas that could trim other items, unsynced sources or comp lanes, but just with normal items. This would make it so much simpler and creative to work with not just similar recordings, but also with any kind of sources for editing, re-arranging/combining or just finding the best sweet spot between them.
The mode "Items always replace earlier items" works only for a single lane, so I guess it wouldn't be that hard to have an extended mode to work for all lanes?

*I've recorded a simple example from another Daw just to show how it looks. (It's possible to choose which items to choke the upper items. This allows layering as well if some of the bottom items do not choke the upper ones, which is very close to Reaper's fixed lanes layering without the choke function)

Thanks!

Last edited by Vagelis; 10-28-2023 at 09:47 AM.
Vagelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:21 AM   #2
Vagelis

I'm very surprised to discover that this option exists for video items under the name: "items in higher numbered tracks replace lower"! Since I don't work with video it was off my radar, so I didn't knew this behavior existed in Reaper.
It's something that i want for sooo long, begging to have the exact same behavior in fixed lanes for normal items too. I can't believe the behavior is here but not for normal items, it would be the best thing ever for creative editing and combining sounds.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:12 PM   #3
schwa
Administrator

This actually wouldn't be too hard to do as a comping mode, like this:

I don't have a sense of how generally useful it is, though.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 01:44 PM   #4
Vagelis

Wow schwa, amazing!!
Does the most top items have priority? I meant something like this but reversed so the most bottom items have priority. Like the most bottom items "choke" the upper items.
May I ask if this could be possible just with items and no comp areas? (or the comp areas in this mode are attached on the item and it's one thing?!)
The idea is to allow any editing on the items without dealing with comp areas as in the default mode, so that it's more flexible to edit or combine/re-arrange sounds, and won't need to deal with trimmed or unsynced comp areas. This mode could complete the other for very exciting things.

So excited to try it, thank you sooo much for considering! <3

Last edited by Vagelis; 11-15-2023 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:06 PM   #5
bobobo

correct me if i am wrong
this is normal comping mode the fixed item lanes feature is capable off and made for

thumbs up to schwa and devs

Last edited by bobobo; 11-15-2023 at 09:35 PM.
bobobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 01:38 AM   #6
Vagelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobo View Post
correct me if i am wrong
this is normal comping mode the fixed item lanes feature is capable off and made for

thumbs up to schwa and devs

It's really not the same, it's a more simplified version for different things to achieve that's not possible with comps. It may look similar but it's not.
Comping is great for choosing parts after recording.
The goal with this mode is to edit more flexible and easier normal items or combine multiple sources super easy without dealing with comp areas as the default mode. I ve been using something similar for 15+ years and I assure that this is really something else but extremely useful. Been wanting this since I started using Reaper and now I'm so excited to see schwa's approach!
Old 11-16-2023, 11:15 AM   #7
deeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
This actually wouldn't be too hard to do as a comping mode, like this:

its not not like that schwa. Last lane content/item is always the audible one. That's the fun thing.

lane1: ABCD
lane2: CA

What we hear: CACD

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post

it is just a different way to edit and more fun. Maybe more experimental (searching for the wow effect) but not necessarily. Different process/technique different results.

defining Comp areas is a pain in the ass for some kind of editing.
example: expanding an item edge does not make comp area bigger. We need to expand item and then expand area. This applies for everything we do on a item . Delete , move, expand , shrink, copy.

With this style of editing this PITA does not exist.

Last edited by deeb; 11-16-2023 at 11:32 AM.
deeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:45 AM   #8
Vagelis

Also it doesn't need to have a comp lane imo as shown in first post. Items choke others without promoting them in comp lane. It's more about editing and combining sources, (imagining this combined also with takes, super unique!)no need to have the same behavior that unsync items in comp lane but to be more simplified without a comp lane. I think if we want a comp lane, comping would be the solution.

Last edited by Vagelis; 11-17-2023 at 06:41 AM.