Old 09-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
mschnell
Human being with feelings

Default Kontakt 5 -> Kontakt 6

I just installed Kontakt 6.

How to switch the Kontakt versions in a Reaper project without manually re-configuring everything ? ("replace plugin" does not seem to work.)

-Michael
mschnell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #2
SmajjL

While you wait for a Kontakt expert..

Wiie! Kontakt Player 6 showed up to try
Still have to run in a seperate process to get it large.. really NI? was hoping.. anyway..

SmajjL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
I just installed Kontakt 6.

How to switch the Kontakt versions in a Reaper project without manually re-configuring everything ? ("replace plugin" does not seem to work.)
So Michael, you've installed the full version of Kontakt 6?

All you have to do is put the Kontakt 6 dll files in the same place you had the Kontakt 5 dll files.

Personally I keep all my DLL files for each version, that way I can switch between them. The reason I do
this is so that I can create my instruments in the older version so that they are compatible with the later
versions. You may not have a need for this, but I do think it's a good idea to save your latest Kontakt 5 dlls
just in case you need them.

So if you replace your K5 dlls with the K6 dlls, you should be good to go.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #4
EvilDragon

You can manually replace all instances of "Kontakt 5.dll" to "Kontakt.dll" in .rpp files via text editor. No need to do any messy DLL replacing/overwriting like what Tod suggests, this is far less volatile
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
You can manually replace all instances of "Kontakt 5.dll" to "Kontakt.dll" in .rpp files via text editor. No need to do any messy DLL replacing/overwriting like what Tod suggests, this is far less volatile
Hi ED, I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. There are actually no "Kontakt 5.dll" files, they are all "Kontakt.dll" regardless of
what version, I was only referencing, and should have been clear about that. if his current "Kontakt.dll" in Reaper is for
Kontakt 5, then he should save that into a safe place before replacing it with the new "Kontakt.dll" for Kontakt 6.

No text editor needed.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
So Michael, you've installed the full version of Kontakt 6?
Sorry, only the player. A persisting empty pocket problem.

Quote:
All you have to do is put the Kontakt 6 dll files in the same place you had the Kontakt 5 dll files.
Native Access installed it in a dedicated directory "c:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit"

and the name is just "Kontakt.dll" while Kontakt5 is in the same directory, but the name is Kontakt5.dll" (Here the name really is "Kontakt5.dll" !! )

It seems rather queer to rename the Kontakt 6 dll to "Kontakt5"

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 09-29-2018 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #7
mschnell

Quote:
That seems like very handy. Do you suppose no problems for Kontakt6 loading Komntakt5 configuration files (libraries and instrument banks) and accepting Kontakt5 DAW parameters provided by Reaper on startup and by pushing presets onto it ?

-Michael
Old 09-29-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmajjL View Post
Still have to run in a seperate process to get it large..
I have no idea what you mean by this. I run several instances of Kontakt (5) Player in several tracks (hence several threads) without problems.

-Michael
Old 09-29-2018, 03:41 PM   #9
EvilDragon

Quote:
Hi ED, I'm sorry I wasn't very clear. There are actually no "Kontakt 5.dll" files, they are all "Kontakt.dll" regardless of
what version, I was only referencing, and should have been clear about that. if his current "Kontakt.dll" in Reaper is for
Kontakt 5, then he should save that into a safe place before replacing it with the new "Kontakt.dll" for Kontakt 6.

No text editor needed.
Well, that's only true if you renamed them yourself. Kontakt 4 plugin is actually called "Kontakt 4.dll", Kontakt 5 plugin is actually called "Kontakt 5.dll" and Kontakt 6 removes the number and is just "Kontakt.dll".

Quote:
That seems like very handy. Do you suppose no problems for Kontakt6 loading Komntakt5 configuration files (libraries and instrument banks) and accepting Kontakt5 DAW parameters provided by Reaper on startup and by pushing presets onto it ?

-Michael
Yes, because Kontakt is backwards compatible, plugin chunk is the same and you can easily read K4 chunk with K6, or K5 chunk with K6, it all works.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
SmajjL

Quote:
I have no idea what you mean by this. I run several instances of Kontakt (5) Player in several tracks (hence several threads) without problems.

-Michael
So I am on a 4K monitor and use REAPER in HiDPI mode, some plugins are so tiny I would need to borrow David Banners lab to see something, but if Windows is set to like 150% scale and you run those tiny plugins that does not have any built-in scaling/size options, then I can run them as a seperate process, an option REAPER have by right mouse the plugin you want and that works and that way one can chose only the problematic plugins.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Well, that's only true if you renamed them yourself. Kontakt 4 plugin is actually called "Kontakt 4.dll", Kontakt 5 plugin is actually called "Kontakt 5.dll" and Kontakt 6 removes the number and is just "Kontakt.dll".
Aaah, ED, you're absolutely right, I had my head in a different place. I've got subfolders for all my different versions of Kontakt 5 and they do all have "Kontakt 5" in them. I think I was actually thinking that they don't have the version #s, and the old brain didn't correlate. Sorry about that.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:13 PM   #12
Goldreap

Quote:
Native Access installed it in a dedicated directory "c:\Program Files\Native Instruments\VSTPlugins 64 bit"
I think the dll in that location is just a sort of backup....the actual working dll will be where you put it when asked during installation.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:34 PM   #13
mschnell

With NI products, the installation process is fully automatic and does not seem to be configurable per issue. "Native Access" definitively does not ask.

Of course you can copy the dll anywhere by hand, but that does not seem very appropriate.

-Michael
Old 09-29-2018, 11:52 PM   #14
EvilDragon

You can change the VST path in NA preferences.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:57 PM   #15
gibi25

To change preferences, click on the little head in native access.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:20 AM   #16
Goldreap

Quote:
With NI products, the installation process is fully automatic and does not seem to be configurable per issue. "Native Access" definitively does not ask.

Of course you can copy the dll anywhere by hand, but that does not seem very appropriate.

-Michael
Ah yes, by 'asking during installation' I guess I was remembering the 'asking in preferences' (sorry I wasn't clear).

Last edited by Goldreap; 09-30-2018 at 01:53 AM.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:22 AM   #17
mschnell

Quote:
You can manually replace all instances of "Kontakt 5.dll" to "Kontakt.dll" in .rpp files via text editor.
Another idea would be to replace the kontakt5.dll by a symlink to kontakt.dll (unfortunately other than with Linux and Unix (Mac), symlinks are not very commonly used in Windows. )

-Michael
Old 10-01-2018, 02:26 AM   #18
mschnell

Yet another question is why simply using "replace plugin" in the Reaper GUI does not work. I seems like this menu entry is provided for exactly this purpose ?!?!?

-Michael
Old 10-01-2018, 05:10 AM   #19
mschnell

Off-Topic:
NI seems to advertise that the Kontakt 6 player comes with three new free libraries: "THREE NEW INSTRUMENTS: KONTAKT 6 introduces the KONTAKT Play Series ... "

Or is Play Series different from "Player" ?

Anyway I don't seem to find those on the NI website

Any wisdom here ?

Thanks,
-Michael
Old 10-01-2018, 05:21 AM   #20
DarkStar

They are not free,; they are included in Kontakt 6. They may not work in Kontakt 6 Player (which is expected to be released today).

"Play series" is not the same as "Kontakt Player"
Old 10-01-2018, 05:41 AM   #21
SmajjL

Got the players along with Maschine Mikro MK2 along with some samplepacks and other nice gifts.
The Kontakt 6 Player is limited for .wav files, it will act as a demo for like 20 minutes, the limited players should be free, but limited?.. hmm

Old 10-01-2018, 05:52 AM   #22
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Very misleading wording
-Michael
Old 10-01-2018, 06:08 AM   #23
DarkStar

^^^
I do not think so. "Player Series" would be misleading, though.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #24
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelganger View Post
looks like not a big difference between 5 and 6, few effects here, few instruments there.. and update 99$ ? O_o

Yeah, I was expecting more after a decade or so but I will be content if they get all the bugs worked out of native access.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:18 AM   #25
mschnell

Quote:
You can manually replace all instances of "Kontakt 5.dll" to "Kontakt.dll" in .rpp files via text editor.
I did do this, and additionally replaced the VST name noted in the same lines, so that in the Reaper GUI correctly Just "Kontakt".

Works perfectly.

In my Live playing setup I have eight tracks that each feature an instance of Kontakt. Many of those use one or two Instrument banks to pre-load multiple libraries at the the same time. The tracks are muted / unmuted by LiveConfigs so that after starting the system, all sounds are available instantaneously when pressing a button.

It seems that with Kontakt 6 the loading when starting Reaper takes a lot less time than it did with Kontakt 5.

Moreover, I use the heavily scripted library "The Trumpet" by Sample Modeling providing solo brass sounds. While the single instruments worked very well in Kontakt 5 their "Unison" set of three trumpets resulted in distorted sound. Supposedly some performance problem. I did not investigate this very deeply. With Kontakt 6 it just works.

Thanks again,
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 10-01-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:12 AM   #26
Tod

Quote:
Moreover, I use the heavily scripted library "The Trumpet" by Sample Modeling providing solo brass sounds. While the single instruments worked very well in Kontakt 5 their "Unison" set of three trumpets resulted in distorted sound. Supposedly some performance problem. I did not investigate this very deeply. With Kontakt 6 it just works.
This could be due to the volume levels hitting the effects. I've found this on more then a few nki instruments and I've usually been able to find a way of turning the volume level down before it hits the effects.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:46 PM   #27
EvilDragon

Quote:
Another idea would be to replace the kontakt5.dll by a symlink to kontakt.dll (unfortunately other than with Linux and Unix (Mac), symlinks are not very commonly used in Windows. )

-Michael

Symlinks are very easy to create in Windows with a free program called Link Shell Extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
They are not free,; they are included in Kontakt 6. They may not work in Kontakt 6 Player (which is expected to be released today).

Play series are also Kontakt Player libraries so they WILL work in Kontakt 6 Player.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:53 PM   #28
mschnell

Quote:
Symlinks are very easy to create in Windows with a free program called Link Shell Extension.
Or by a simple line command. I do know. But it's not very commonly used, while in Linux/Unix many programs are installed or work taking advantage of symlinks.

Quote:
Play series are also Kontakt Player libraries so they WILL work in Kontakt 6 Player.
Of course. But empty pocket syndrome... (Need to save for the upcoming Reaper 6 release)

-Michael
Old 01-10-2023, 12:40 PM   #29
GeneralMidi

Quote:
How does this work with Kontakt 7 as it's VST3?
GeneralMidi is offline   Reply With Quote