Old 04-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
xpander
Human being with feelings

Default v6.08 - April 3 2020

v6.08 - April 3 2020

+ ARA: more improvements to preventing lost data when doing complex edits [p=2253315]
+ Actions: add action to clear tempo envelope
+ JSFX: add sequencer_megababy extended recording options via MIDI trigger parameter
+ MIDI: avoid retriggering notes when recording past the end of an unlooped MIDI item
+ MIDI: prevent double event playback in certain overdub situations
+ Media explorer: optionally apply preview volume when inserting media item
+ NINJAM import: allow setting output format when importing session
+ NINJAM import: create a chat track with chat messages in empty item notes
+ Pan: add option to limit taper to linear shape above +3dB pan law [t=231241]
+ ReaNINJAM: add Sync button, with options to start REAPER playback at interval start, set project tempo/loop interval
+ ReaNINJAM: improve behavior when in private server lobbies
+ ReaNINJAM: improve appearance on macOS/Linux
+ ReaNINJAM: fix possible incorrect monitoring when server has limited local channels
+ ReaNINJAM: include chat messages in clipsort.log for posterity/import
+ Render: fix potential crash when rendering stems and target file cannot be opened [t=233558]

This thread is for pre-release features discussion. Use the Feature Requests forum for other requests.
Generated by X-Raym's REAPER ChangeLog to BBCode
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #2
mespotine

I should really toy around with NinJam. The more I read about it, the more versatile it looks to me...
Old 04-03-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
Fergler

Excellent idea with the chat messages in item notes, and storing them in general.
Maybe the drunk people will flame each other less now that it's being recorded.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
sonicowl

+ JSFX: add sequencer_megababy extended recording options via MIDI trigger parameter

What is this, and how to use it? Which midi trigger parameter?
sonicowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #5
akademie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post

Insert it on a track and try it for yourself, it's the easiest way to know what it does.
BTW, "MIDI Trigger" is one of the parameter (slider) in JSFX plugin interface and it contains few modes which are pretty descriptive.

In short, it is now easier than ever to record MIDI notes in real time (quantized of course) into Megababy JSFX sequencer. And can be switched to another modes eventually to transpose etc. then again back to record , ...
akademie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
_Stevie_

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
+ Actions: add action to clear tempo envelope
To make it complete, could we also have this for time sigantures?
Old 04-03-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
+1 please. Should have it for both so the entire tempo/meter map can be cleared.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
It clears the whole tempo map (time signatures and all)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #9
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Brilliant!
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:40 PM   #10
_Stevie_

I second that!
Old 04-03-2020, 06:04 PM   #11
xpander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicowl View Post
There is a MIDI Trigger dropdown box in Sequencer Megababy, by default set to Off. You can select different things like pattern changes and transposing in there and trigger them with MIDI notes. And now there are two new additions to those options:
Off (Always Recording)
Off (Always Recording + Toggle Notes)

As for the triggering itself, you can change which notes do it. Clicking the Edit button in Sequencer Megababy, you'll see a Quick Guide there.
Quote:
Left click drag red area on toolbar pianokeys: Change MIDI trigger notes for pattern triggering.
xpander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:19 PM   #12
srdmusic

Quote:
You've done it again Justin!

https://tenor.com/Osi9.gif
srdmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 01:47 AM   #13
mschnell

ReaNinJam:

Thanks for additional Loop sync options !
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #14
mschnell

ReaNinJam:
I found that the Voice Chat mode problems still exist:

- Sometimes there is a huge delay, even if voice-chat is shown at both sites and it'running since a long time. Maybe it even did not switch to chat mode at both sites. It can be cured by switching to normal mode and then back to voice-chat mode. Now it works perfectly (delay less than 1/2 sec).We found this issue several times.

- when switching from normal mode to voice-chat mode we needed to wait until the loop is completely through until the listening to chat was activated. Maybe it's a bug, but maybe it can't be done otherwise...

-Michael
Old 04-04-2020, 10:31 PM   #15
mschnell

Bump for the Voice Chat Latency.

Did anybody else see this ? We saw it multiple times.

Thanks,
-Michael
Old 04-05-2020, 05:28 AM   #16
benf

Quote:
I'd say it could be cool to also have an action that only clears tempo map, letting time signatures unchanged.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #17
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Bump for the Voice Chat Latency.

Did anybody else see this ? We saw it multiple times.

Thanks,
-Michael
I haven't been able to reproduce this, if you can come up with steps that would be great. The latency I would expect is usually 1-4 seconds (which isn't great but is something. 0.5 seconds is lower than usual IMO).
Old 04-07-2020, 03:15 AM   #18
mschnell

Thanks a lot for taking a look !

In fact I would consider a latency of 4 seconds as "bad". When it worcs as we'd like it, we in fact have a latency of some 0.2 seconds (i.e. when someone uses loudspeakers, I can hear an echo of my voice in less than half a second). This is better than Skype, and much higher audio quality. Hence we decently trust in your work .

We try to do a kind of band rehearsal using NinJam. That is why we use rather big BPI (128 ... 256).
It's important for us to have the voice chat decently running for communication.

We even did the Reaper setup in a way that the instruments can be routed to the voice chat channel to allow for immediately sharing a lick or something like that.

I don't know if the big BPI setting has an influence on the said issue.

It seems to happen by chance about 50 % of the time. I am even not sure if it happens while running or immediately when connecting.

It usually gets back to normal when bpi is changed to - say - 2 (and waiting for two loops passing). And setting BPI to the desired values again might or might not bring up the problem.

BTW.: we are using a private server on a (virtual) Linux machine hired from some provider, and we all have a very good connection tpo the Internet.

================================================== ============================================0
BTW/2:
I do know that this Feature Request would require a new product instead of an update for ReaNinJam and the server, but for the task we are trying to do it would be great to drastically reduce the latency introduced by NinJam. Right now this latency obviously is between one and two intervals, as the clients each manage their own timing (phase) for the interval in a completely cyclic way. This is perfectly good for permanently running short loops with potentially many clients.
For a "rehearsal" situation with huge BPI, it would be better a client (e.g. the drummer) could request restart of the loop (that then starts after an artificial lead-in of "n" beats), and the other clients hear the lead-in (delayed by another "n" beats) and their loop starts after the lead-in. in the first loop they would hear just the client who started the loop, in the next loop they would hear all others.
On top of this you even could think about delaying the clients "n" beats one after the other (in a definable sequence). By this the last client (e.g. a solo instrument) could hear all the others rather soon. This would speed up the process and enhance the usability in a rehearsal situation a lot.

Thanks again,
-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 04-07-2020 at 03:42 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:57 AM   #19
Futur8me

Hi)).., In my Reaper preferences/Audio I have the 'tiny fade in and out on playback stop and start' all turned off and saved.., but now when I start a new project and insert the wav files there are tiny fade ins and outs???, and also when I insert these new wav files the edit cursor moves to the end of the files which I also have this turned off in the preferences..?.

I'm not sure with which new version this anomaly has started happening as I have been away for a long time.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:12 AM   #20
d. gauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mespotine View Post
I should really toy around with NinJam. The more I read about it, the more versatile it looks to me...
OT, but is there link to anything that clearly, simply explains Ninjam and setting it up? Like in terms a 5 year old or a sitting president could understand? Thx.
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:32 AM   #21
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
OT, but is there link to anything that clearly, simply explains Ninjam and setting it up?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ5UQhTRVZU
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #22
Futur8me

I found another bug/problem, when I delete all of my reapeaks on my Mac and then start up Reaper, Reaper has completely default reset itself into its small window and asks me do I wish to choose audio device now.., I then have to go through all of the preferences again and choose and save everything again, but it still will not remember some of my settings like that tiny fade in and out on playback start and stop.

Its extremely annoying.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:44 AM   #23
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Thanks a lot for taking a look !

In fact I would consider a latency of 4 seconds as "bad". When it worcs as we'd like it, we in fact have a latency of some 0.2 seconds (i.e. when someone uses loudspeakers, I can hear an echo of my voice in less than half a second). This is better than Skype, and much higher audio quality. Hence we decently trust in your work .
I'll take a look and see if I can get it to be more reliably on the short side of that spread.