Old 05-18-2012, 05:02 PM   #81
chriscomfort
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
^ I really think that the entire thing needs to be rethought - the pins aren't working imvho.

Have a look at how Studio One 2 is done. There seem to be 4 "classes" of window.

1) 1st level - Edit/arrange - "pinned" to the bottom at all times
2) 2nd level - floating mixer/console, floating editor - "pinned" above the edit/arrange at all times. The most recently clicked one of the two is on top - but only in that level.
3) 3rd level - plugins - always above 1st and 2nd level - whichever plugin is most recently clicked on is on top.
4) 4th level - dialogs, preferences window - always on top

It doesn't require manual pinning at all.

// ---

This is pretty much what we need in reaper, with a few tweaks because there are more windows.

1) 1st level - edit/arrange
2) 2nd level - floating dockers, floating mixer, undocked region/track manager, project bays, grouping/routing matrix, big clock, navigator, perf meter
3) 3rd level - plugins, fx-chain, io/track control windows, media item properties
4) 4th level - always on top - preferences, project options, all dialog windows

Or maybe go even simpler:

1) edit/arrange
2) floating docker & undocked floating mixer
3) everything else
4) prefs/dialogs

The key feature being that each level is separate, but within each level, the most recently clicked window takes precedence over the others in that level only. Maybe it would be helpful for some people, if there was a simple way of (in preferences) assigning windows to a given level.

Imo, the problem is that in reaper, there are loads of windows, and apart from the edit/arrange and some dialogs they are all fighting to be first. I think we need more forced differentiation between types of windows, like in Studio One.

We have 3 levels now, but I think we need 4, and no manual pins. Or, does anyone have a better idea?

// --

Key command-passthrough (or lack of) of certain windows is also a related issue that needs sorting out. Comes down to, reaper's way of dealing with windows is not complete, and there's a strong argument for it being fundamentally buggy.

+1000 to, um, all of this. 4 levels of window class, with an "Always on Top" guy, like Cubendo.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #82
Sound asleep

Quote:
^ I really think that the entire thing needs to be rethought - the pins aren't working imvho.

Have a look at how Studio One 2 is done. There seem to be 4 "classes" of window.

2) 2nd level - floating mixer/console, floating editor - "pinned" above the edit/arrange at all times. The most recently clicked one of the two is on top - but only in that level.
3) 3rd level - plugins - always above 1st and 2nd level - whichever plugin is most recently clicked on is on top.

// ---

This is pretty much what we need in reaper, with a few tweaks because there are more windows.

2) 2nd level - floating dockers, floating mixer, undocked region/track manager, project bays, grouping/routing matrix, big clock, navigator, perf meter
3) 3rd level - plugins, fx-chain, io/track control windows, media item properties

1) edit/arrange
3) everything else
4) prefs/dialogs

The key feature being that each level is separate, but within each level, the most recently clicked window takes precedence over the others in that level only. Maybe it would be helpful for some people, if there was a simple way of (in preferences) assigning windows to a given level.

Imo, the problem is that in reaper, there are loads of windows, and apart from the edit/arrange and some dialogs they are all fighting to be first. I think we need more forced differentiation between types of windows, like in Studio One.

We have 3 levels now, but I think we need 4, and no manual pins. Or, does anyone have a better idea?

// --

Key command-passthrough (or lack of) of certain windows is also a related issue that needs sorting out. Comes down to, reaper's way of dealing with windows is not complete, and there's a strong argument for it being fundamentally buggy.
i only read this because you just got quoted, and i'm glad i did, because although i gotta say the pinning thing was not too much of an issue for me, it is annoying though, although hugely better than before, and blocking dialogue windows, is a serious problem, and this sounds totally awesome.

it seems like the perfect recipe to me on paper, i am worried that in practice, issues i can't foresee may develop, but that all sounded amazing.

i'm not sure if something this complex could be very customizable though, and i'm not sure how easy it could be to do. could maybe be relatively easy, could maybe be hugely difficult. i have no idea. so i think this is one of those cases, where reaper would need to let go of customizability, and try to find the best way. maybe an on/off preference, but i think choosing levels, might be too much, but i could be wrong. but definitely do what you said, and beta test for issues. i'm so down for that.

dammit. you found something i now care about as much as midi improvements. the more i think of it the more i like the idea.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #83
timlloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
so i think this is one of those cases, where reaper would need to let go of customizability, and try to find the best way. maybe an on/off preference, but i think choosing levels, might be too much, but i could be wrong. but definitely do what you said, and beta test for issues. i'm so down for that.
Completely agree about letting go of customisability here. I would prefer no options; how many options is this software going to have by version 4.5, 5 or 6? If things carry on as they seem to be now, it's going to be insane. But maybe for this scenario it's appropriate - I'm not sure - currently suffering an aversion to all mention of more options

There was a beta run-through of some kind of non-pinning window system a while back, but I can't remember any details off the top of my head. I'll search the forum later, and maybe try some old pre-releases - could be interesting.
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #84
zappa

There seem to be some bugs in this department at Reaper 4.22. I've now seen, and a colleague has experienced, several Reaper crashes when pinning/unpinning plugin host windows in Reaper 64. It's not reproducible every time but it's about the only thing I can do that may crash Reaper, aside from flaky plugins - though they usually bring the plugin host process down not Reaper itself.

I'd also like to see those lil' host windows tidied up too

z.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:37 AM   #85
Superfly76

Quote:

// ---

1) edit/arrange
3) everything else
4) prefs/dialogs

// --

I 100% agree with all this here. I also have the mixer on a separate monitor (2 actually), and was coming here to search for a way to have FX always on top. Seems like there still isn't an elegant way for this to work. I wish the default priority was as you listed above regardless of the pin's state.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #86
BM1000

Bump.

Once again today this issue was driving me nuts (two screens with the mixer undocked in the other, plugins and dialog boxes get hidden, pins are useless).

I'm a bit confused, but maybe i'm just tired. So is there a Feature Request on this issue that I can vote on?

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=425 this one is closed and says it's implemented but it's clearly not.

Am I missing something here?
BM1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #87
timlloyd

Some kind soul has put this issue in the tracker:

http://forum.cockos.com/project.php?issueid=4350

... you know what to do
timlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:35 AM   #88
mawi

Quote:

... you know what to do
Thank you! I've done it.
mawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:45 AM   #89
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:

... you know what to do
Added my vote. We're up to 30 now. Keep 'em coming.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:23 AM   #90
Triode

Voted. It would be good to have this "feature". Is it really difficult to get this in the code? I wonder how many mouse clicks have been made topping plugin windows since this thread was started!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #91
Sound asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triode View Post
Voted. It would be good to have this "feature". Is it really difficult to get this in the code? I wonder how many mouse clicks have been made topping plugin windows since this thread was started!
It's probably much more difficult than we think because of how it is all implement, and works with the way windows is, and the kind of weird things that happen when you sort of want to tell the computer to put everything always on top. You need to make some sort of logic, so that it all makes sense, and that needs to work with the way windows works. There can be unexpected things also sometimes with stuff like this.

For example, if you have a plugin as always on top, and then an error window pops up, that sucks, because you can't see it, or click it, and you can't move the plugin window, because all you get is pings.

In that case, what I do, is alt+tab until the error window and quickly press enter before it disappears behind the plugin.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:51 AM   #92
DarkStar

Bump for this - dialogue windows must always be on top.

I was running a bridged plug-in as a separate plug-in process, and pinned it so that it would not disappear underneath Reaper. The plug-in popped up a confirmation dialogue window, but, of course, that window was underneath the (pinned) plug-in process window.

I could not see the confirmation dialogue, I could not move the plug-in window nor minimise Reaper. Result: Impasse; I ended up closing all the processes, losing my latest (and greatest ) changes.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #93
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
Oh, yessss, please!!!!
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #94
dr_After

Quote:

I could not see the confirmation dialogue, I could not move the plug-in window nor minimise Reaper. Result: Impasse; I ended up closing all the processes, losing my latest (and greatest ) changes.
It happens often (especially when working with Kontakt, it always asks "do you want to replace multi-instrument"? and the dialog window is hidden. My solution: VERY QUICKLY ALT-TAB between windows and press Enter when dialog window jumps in focus (just for a fraction of a second. It confirms and closes dialog.

A shitty solution, I know, but at least it lets you keep your latest changes in project.
dr_After is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 06:31 AM   #95
musicbynumbers

I have problems if I put reaper into "fullscreen" mode like the above mentioned issues but not so much if I don't.

Be great if they can be sorted as I love having reaper "take control" of my computer in full screen mode
Old 08-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #96
jayache80

Any updates on this? I cannot stand it any longer. My workflow is this: many, many plugin windows on top of the mixer that I jump back and forth between, constantly tweaking one plugin as it responds to another, and messing with the faders. I keep my plugins on top of the mixer on a 2nd monitor. I NEED the mixer to always be at the back. The plugins constantly hiding behind the mixer (requiring a double or even triple click on the plugin at the track, depending on focus) is driving me nuts. I can't stand clicking that little pin icon all the time on every plugin instance.

Is there a little script somewhere, or preference or .ini file or something that I've just been ignorant to?

Thanks.

Side note for anyone else interested in my complaining:
I need the 2nd task bar to be visible below the mixer (I'm on windows 8.1) so what I do is have the mixer resized to almost fill the screen, but NOT maximized. If it is maximized, the Record Enable button is almost completely tucked under the task bar. This is a major oversight. Maximizing the mixer window should maximize it like any other application- no information gets obliterated by the existence of the task bar. The first time I maximize it (Drag it to the top) it covers the task bar, which might seem nice at first but I have tabs down there that I need access to, and not to mention once I use the taskbar again the bottom of the mixer is covered by the taskbar.

Last edited by jayache80; 08-23-2015 at 07:49 PM.
jayache80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:25 AM   #97
ivansc

And if you add in the issue with plugins ignoring what monitor they are instantiated from as well, we have what is known as a complete clusterfuck imo.

This really DOES need some work overall.
I don`t mind having to faff around moving, re-sizing, pulling to the front all the time, when it could all be so much easier.

If I was still producing for paying customers, this would really start pissing me off after a very short while.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #98
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

is this still not an option? cause i have a 2 screen setup with the mixer on 1 screen, and its driving me NUTS having to keep double or triple clicking my plugins cause they keep disappearing behind the mixer window.

this discussion started SIX YEARS ago, dear god please tell me theres a way to keep floating plugins on top of the mixer window by now?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #99
ivansc

My sort of solution was to use 2 monitors, so now all I have to contend with is plugins insisting on appearing in the main window and having to move them to second screen by hand......

Ah well....
Old 10-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #100
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

I have 2 monitors, but if I move a floating plugin to the monitor with the mixer window, then click the mixer, the plugin goes behind it... so frustrating. So this behaviour still cant be changed?
Old 10-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #101
vectorwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjumpsoffbuildings View Post
I have 2 monitors, but if I move a floating plugin to the monitor with the mixer window, then click the mixer, the plugin goes behind it... so frustrating. So this behaviour still cant be changed?
I'm in the same boat. I want my docked windows (mixer/etc) to always be in the background in the same way the main arrange window is. As it stands, I open an FX window from the mixer dock and if I click anywhere in the dock the FX window shoots to behind the dock so in order to see the FX again i have to click it in the mixer two times (close/open). You can 'pin' a window so it stays on top, but I'm not going to do that with EVERY fx window i open, that's even more of a pain in the butt than clicking it twice.
vectorwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:22 AM   #102
jayache80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgemeal View Post
Just a quick and dirty idea, made an app where you press a hotkey ( "Control+G"), it finds all those dialog windows, if their text starts with FX:, VST:, VSTi: ,etc,etc, it sets them as a forerground window. This doesn't check if the window is a child of Reaper or anything, again just a quick idea,... it just might make things a tad easier for some until a better solution is available.
Awesome!! Thanks Edgemeal, works like a charm to bring all those pesky plugin windows to the front!

Wait, we've been talking about this for like 5 years now- has anyone actually made a legit Feature Request?
Old 10-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #103
Sound asleep

Quote:

I was running a bridged plug-in as a separate plug-in process, and pinned it so that it would not disappear underneath Reaper. The plug-in popped up a confirmation dialogue window, but, of course, that window was underneath the (pinned) plug-in process window.

There is actually a sort of solution to this most of the time. As long as the option you want to select in the dialog window is the one highlighted by default, you should be ok.

What I do in this instance, is I alt+tab until the hidden dialog is selected, which should appear in that list, and then quickly hit enter a fraction of a second after the dialog window is selected. it usually takes a couple of tries, but I don't think this method has ever failed me that I recall.

I'm not sure how they could fix that. But it's definitely a problem.

The other issue would be easily fixed if there was a toggle somewhere in the options that set every FX window to be pinned on top by default. I'm sure there is some reason it is more difficult than I think it is, but I would really like that functionality.

However, I've noticed that it is like that for me in some instances, and I think that is for my templates. I could be wrong, but I think that if you set your plugin to always on top, and then make a template, loading the template will keep your pinned preference.

All my instruments are loaded via templates. This lets me assign icons to them, and other settings, like track name or what have you, and sometimes even a loaded instrument for things like kontakt. I find it is a faster way to work. You go straight to selecting the instrument you want, and the track loads up, and opens the FX dialog for you, in one menu selection, named and everything, whether it's a real input or a VSTi.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:35 AM   #104
Gass n Klang

bump. This is a very annoying behaviour. I'm using two monitors. One for the mixer and the plugin windows. If a plugin gehts hidden behind the mixer it needs several clicks on the plugin name in the mcp to bring it back.
Gass n Klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #105
matthewjumpsoffbuildings

yea its been an issue for years now. totally irritating for 2 monitor setups
Old 11-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #106
thenewexhibit

Will something like this ever be implemented? I don't use Reaper because of this. Everyone has a preference, but I personally find the workflow of Pro Tools to be most logical; plugin or dialogue window always on top, regardless of toggling through mix or edit windows. Is there a way to vote for this or push this through to the higher ups? If they implemented this, pre fader metering (not as big of a deal), a playlist option similar to pro tools so things don't get cluttered (massive part of my workflow), and an import session data type option, I would have zero need for pro tools ever again, as it hasn't worked properly since I bought 10, and the newer versions introduce new bugs that were never there prior.

If these are things that won't be implemented, that is totally cool. I would just love to hear it from the higher ups so that I can go onto the next daw and see what I can live without.
thenewexhibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:59 AM   #107
balanced

Hi all, first post. I too stumbled upon this while learning Reaper and organizing together my four monitor setup. Quite dumb that plugin windows disappear behind mixer. I have a touch screen for mixer and plugins and this behavior/bug really makes it unusable since the plugins need to be located in other displays..

I tried to hack together an autohotkey script to keep plugins on top, with kind help from autohotkey forums. It partly works, but there is some erratic behavior still. If any of you know coding, all help would be welcome. I really don't. If a working script could be put together I suppose it would help many.. Although this should be fixed in the software.

You can find the script thread here:

https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29130
balanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:29 AM   #108
Triode

It's not the best thing about reaper for sure.
I get around that with one larger monitor and docking the mixer to the left.
You can then drag the track panels of the arrange screen out of view giving you a small skinny arrange to the right. Even open a master track window over the top of it.
Toggling the mixer visable or not with a key command will give you that and the arrange windows view as options with plug ins not hiding.
They only go into "bug view" behind an undocked mixer window - a pain for double monitor folks.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #109
goshalev

It would be nice to see this bug fixed in 5.50
goshalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #110
jayache80

I put in a Feature Request

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?p=1829936