Old 09-24-2020, 08:39 AM   #1
stevetek
Human being with feelings

Default Flutter & choppy sound?!?

Hi, I've been using Reaper since 2017 and has always worked GREAT! but now in 2020, on playback it sounds Flutter & choppy???? here is what I Know:
1) I'm not using a sound card so no latency from the sound card.
2) I'll open a new Reaper project and pull in one guitar file with NO effects or anything on the track and still get Flutter & choppy sound.
3) Uninstalled & Remove all of Reaper then reinstalled with no plugins or other add-ons, still the same thing.
4) It will play nice and clean for about 2 sec before the Flutter & choppy sound starts.

HELP - Don't know what to do?!?
stevetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:37 AM   #2
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetek View Post
Hi, I've been using Reaper since 2017 and has always worked GREAT! but now in 2020, on playback it sounds Flutter & choppy???? here is what I Know:
1) I'm not using a sound card so no latency from the sound card.
2) I'll open a new Reaper project and pull in one guitar file with NO effects or anything on the track and still get Flutter & choppy sound.
3) Uninstalled & Remove all of Reaper then reinstalled with no plugins or other add-ons, still the same thing.
4) It will play nice and clean for about 2 sec before the Flutter & choppy sound starts.

HELP - Don't know what to do?!?
PCI connecting interfaces aren't higher baseline latency than USB/firewire/TB as a general rule. In fact, some PCI connecting interfaces feature lower baseline latency. Still not likely related to the issue...

Let's check the obvious interface connection stuff:
Do you have your system sample rate set intentionally?
Do you have the hardware running at the same sample rate as the project? No live on the fly conversions?
What block size are you running at?

Do you do live sound work which needs low latency and thus a low block size? If yes, have you shaken down your system in the past and know what your lowest block size for stable operation is (or was)?

Do you control sample rate and block size from the Reaper control panel? (Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device. Boxes ticked, values entered.) Or do you use a 3rd party or OS control panel? (Boxes unticked on the Reaper page to disable and ignore values entered here.)
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:33 AM   #3
stevetek

Default No outboard audio interface being used

I'm importing Wave file and not using an Audio Interface.
all audio device settings are stock and have not been modified from Reaper standard settings. I have uninstalled & RE-installed Reaper and no difference?!? I'll open a new Reaper project and pull in one guitar file with NO effects or anything on the track and still get Flutter & choppy sound.
stevetek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetek View Post
I'm importing Wave file and not using an Audio Interface.
all audio device settings are stock and have not been modified from Reaper standard settings. I have uninstalled & RE-installed Reaper and no difference?!? I'll open a new Reaper project and pull in one guitar file with NO effects or anything on the track and still get Flutter & choppy sound.
You say you aren't using any audio interface? But you are talking about hearing sound. You must be using SOME audio interface or you would be hearing silence. Maybe you are equating the term "interface" with outboard only? Any device that outputs sound from a computer is an audio interface. From the simplest one built into your logic board with an 1/8" headphone jack to pci cards to USB/firewire/TB connecting outboard units.

Anyway, like I said above, let's check the interface connection stuff first.
If you were ignoring that comment thinking it didn't apply because you thought internal audio interfaces were something else, take another look. The control panel page in preferences is sort of like your input control or speaker selector on a receiver.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote