Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 08-18-2020, 04:04 PM   #1
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Default Need help with RME HDSP 9652 setup

I have been working with Ivansc on this in PM, but I am getting nowhere fast with this card. Reading the manual doesnt help because the manual, actually three manuals, all reference non current settings windows and installation wizards. I am trying to use the original manual that came with the installation cd, the Totalmix 4.x manual, and the one that is linked to the product page. Each are different.

Here is the problem I get no output at all

Input chain is:

Mic > ADA8000 <using ADAT out > ADAT1 in > RME9652 signal is seen zero output

Output chain is:

RME 9652 > ADAT1 out > ADAT in > ADA8000 > Analog 1 > monitor
> Analog 2 > monitor

Monitors are powered maudio bx5a's

Of course there is no discussion on the Behringer site about the ADA8000, their community support is not worth mentioning at how bad it is as its always the end users fault there is not even anything looking like a signal flow chart in the units manual.

The RME forum is slightly better. but not much info on there when searching for similar question there is one thread where tech support tells the guy with the problem to reference some other thread with no further link or reference to which other thread.

Ive been neating my head for about a week now over this and about to throw out this RME paperweight.

I figure I would ask here to see if anyone may provide any sort of clue. Because for all the great things said about Total Mix and it does look cool. There is not one mention online about how to actually set the damn thing up. Zero mention of that in any youtube video as well Even those created by RME. That whole topic is completely bypassed.
Bjorn.LaSanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:31 PM   #2
wallace
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn.LaSanche View Post
............. it does look cool. There is not one mention online about how to actually set the damn thing up. Zero mention of that in any youtube video as well Even those created by RME. That whole topic is completely bypassed.

Not sure that's true...
14 vids on setting up TotalMix right here
https://www.rme-audio.de/knowledge-base.html

How old is your RME device?
Is it still supported?
(They haven't used CD's for drivers and manuals for a long time - that's covered by the legacy product area on the website https://www.rme-audio.de/legacy-products.html )
wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:40 AM   #3
WarrenG

I have Two HDSP9652 cards with ADA8K I/O.
I will guess you are using Windows and the latest drivers for the HDSP9652 which is 4.30.
In Totalmix verify that in Options> Operational Mode is set to "FULL MODE-Mixer Active, All routing options available."
Use Totalmix's Default configuration in this Mode.
You won't need to mess with Totalmix to much after this unless you desire a special routing config i.e. Direct Monitoring.
I make the HDSP card be the Word Clock Master and ADA8000 set to SYNC word clock in.
Make sure Reaper sees the HDSP and all its inputs and outputs.
In reaper assign an instrument (Guitar) and ADA8000 input to a Track, set tracks "Record Monitoring" to to On.
Also in Reaper Assign Master to output on ADA8000 channel 1/2 and plug your Monitors into these outputs
This should give you a signal from you guitar and show on the meters out to the monitors.
At least its working this way for me, I hope you get it up and running.

Good Luck!
Warren

Last edited by WarrenG; 08-19-2020 at 12:47 AM.
WarrenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:27 AM   #4
ivansc

Hi Bjorn.
Have you got a synch lock in the Hammerfall settings app? If you havent found it, you should have it in the "show hidden icons" arrow on the task bar in Win 10.#

Have another look at that piccy I sent you & you should have a "synch" reading in synch settings for whichever ADAT I/O you are using.
If it is showing as synch`ed & the ASIO I/O section is showing the eight ins and the eight outs, you should be able to get audio in and out.

Also important to look at the tracks in your project once you have a synch showing and see if the meters show audio being passed. Then open totalmix and see if there are any meters showing activity in that.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #5
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Sorry guys. I’ll read your responses tomorrow.
When I posted this I was fairly frustrated and had gone past the point of taking things slow and thinking a step at a time.

I went back over what I had done and it matched what Ivan had sent me, what one of the manuals said. So I decided to put it down for a day and come back to it fresh.
S
This morning I had to finish working on a clients amplifier and while I was doing that I was having a drawn out text conversation with a friend of mine who also has a Behringer ADA8000. He mentioned that he had similar problems when he first tried using the outputs and had to get new balanced cables. So I checked mine and lo and behold they were wired backwards with no ground wire on one side. That’s what I was doing tonight is re wiring xlr cables. Tomorrow I am going to remove the RME physically from the computer and remove all drivers and registry entries and start fresh. As I’m doing that I will read what y’all have written and apply suggestions as necessary.

Stil can’t figure out how store bought balanced cables with one end XLR, the other a TRS jack weren’t wired right and they have been working almost 8 years solid. Well whatever. They are correct now.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:46 PM   #6
ivansc

Weird.... So glad you have at least found ONE thing you can fix! Let`s hope it all works now...
Old 08-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #7
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace View Post
Not sure that's true...
14 vids on setting up TotalMix right here
https://www.rme-audio.de/knowledge-base.html

How old is your RME device?
Is it still supported?
(They haven't used CD's for drivers and manuals for a long time - that's covered by the legacy product area on the website https://www.rme-audio.de/legacy-products.html )

The videos I tried watching would go directly from how to install the drivers then directly to routing. Card is still supported.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:08 PM   #8
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG View Post
I have Two HDSP9652 cards with ADA8K I/O.
I will guess you are using Windows and the latest drivers for the HDSP9652 which is 4.30.
In Totalmix verify that in Options> Operational Mode is set to "FULL MODE-Mixer Active, All routing options available."
Use Totalmix's Default configuration in this Mode.
You won't need to mess with Totalmix to much after this unless you desire a special routing config i.e. Direct Monitoring.
I make the HDSP card be the Word Clock Master and ADA8000 set to SYNC word clock in.
Make sure Reaper sees the HDSP and all its inputs and outputs.
In reaper assign an instrument (Guitar) and ADA8000 input to a Track, set tracks "Record Monitoring" to to On.
Also in Reaper Assign Master to output on ADA8000 channel 1/2 and plug your Monitors into these outputs
This should give you a signal from you guitar and show on the meters out to the monitors.
At least its working this way for me, I hope you get it up and running.

Good Luck!
Warren

Yes in Windows and Yes newest driver.
Operational Mode as per your instruction
Where is the Setting for HDSP to be Word Clock master? you mean set the Clock Source to Internal? This is the current settings I have. An changes need to be made?

Ive had signal in Total mix just no output. Will let you know as Reaper is being a Priss about letting me start a new project for this.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:20 PM   #9
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hi Bjorn.
Have you got a synch lock in the Hammerfall settings app? If you havent found it, you should have it in the "show hidden icons" arrow on the task bar in Win 10.#

Have another look at that piccy I sent you & you should have a "synch" reading in synch settings for whichever ADAT I/O you are using.
If it is showing as synch`ed & the ASIO I/O section is showing the eight ins and the eight outs, you should be able to get audio in and out.

Also important to look at the tracks in your project once you have a synch showing and see if the meters show audio being passed. Then open totalmix and see if there are any meters showing activity in that.

Yeah I am finally getting what appears to be signal through Total Mix just nothing out to the hardware Im going to be pissed if this ADA shit the bed on me in two weeks of non use. But thats usually how it goes anyway. Ill figure something out. Been playing Ace Frehley this week working on peoples amplifiers I miss my bench in my garage. HAving to work on electric noise makers on the floor or elevated by box sucks the big one Caught my final bite on these things. This one laid me out for 30-45 seconds. So finally bought a variac. Anyone tells you a lightbulb tester device can keep you from geting bit when riding the B+ Lightning kick em in the balls it aint fun let me tell you. also these new alligator clips places are selling makes me want to nuke china just for making those. on of those things slipped off being clipped to an amp chassis. like all the way down and it still back itself off as I was molesting wires and I got hit with inrush. ok Talk with you soon Im angling a tangent.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:21 PM   #10
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Weird.... So glad you have at least found ONE thing you can fix! Let`s hope it all works now...

More No I can get those done I just hate doing them. I have to cut down a Whirlwind Medusa from 150' to whatever shortened distance I dicide hate snake box wiring
Old 08-20-2020, 10:45 PM   #11
ivansc

OUCH! Stay safe, even with the variac. I punched a hole through the end of my thumb decades ago by leaning on the top of an electrolytic whilst cleaning my solder sucker. Ever since, I work with one hand behind my back when necessary & have a sort of cockamamie form of "if all else fails" grounding connection I hook up.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:16 AM   #12
WarrenG

Quote:
Yes in Windows and Yes newest driver.
Operational Mode as per your instruction
Where is the Setting for HDSP to be Word Clock master? you mean set the Clock Source to Internal? This is the current settings I have. An changes need to be made?

Ive had signal in Total mix just no output. Will let you know as Reaper is being a Priss about letting me start a new project for this.
Sorry can't seem to get LiceCap to work right, anyway
I have on the "Hammerfall DSP Settings" dialog box set to:
Buffer size=128
WDM=0
Clock mode:
Sample rate=48000hz
Clock Source=Internal
SPDIF IN=Coaxial,TMS
SPDIF Out=Professional, Emphasis

On the RME HDSP the clock output is the second BNC connector down from the top of the card.
Set your ADA8000 SYNC input switch set to slave
Connect your "BNC" Clock cables also they do NOT need the terminators just a direct connection, as the units are both internally terminated.

In Reaper do a Control+P to get to the preferences menu and go to devices.
Set Audio system = "ASIO"
ASIO Driver = ASIO Hammerfall DSP
Check enable inputs
First = HDSP9652 ADAT 1
Last = HDSP9652 SPDIF R
Output Range:
First = HDSP9652 ADAT 1
Last = HDSP9652 SPDIF R

Click apply

At this point Reaper "Should" see all the I/O avail on the RME HDSP.
You stated you saw signal in Totalmix so with the above settings Reaper should also see them. Verify that Reaper Master routing is set to ADAT 1 Output 1 and 2 (L/R).

Your card appears to be working so no worries you will get there it just a bit of a configuration at this point.

Warren
Old 08-21-2020, 07:02 AM   #13
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
Sorry can't seem to get LiceCap to work right, anyway
I have on the "Hammerfall DSP Settings" dialog box set to:
Buffer size=128
WDM=0
Clock mode:
Sample rate=48000hz
Clock Source=Internal
SPDIF IN=Coaxial,TMS
SPDIF Out=Professional, Emphasis

On the RME HDSP the clock output is the second BNC connector down from the top of the card.
Set your ADA8000 SYNC input switch set to slave
Connect your "BNC" Clock cables also they do NOT need the terminators just a direct connection, as the units are both internally terminated.

In Reaper do a Control+P to get to the preferences menu and go to devices.
Set Audio system = "ASIO"
ASIO Driver = ASIO Hammerfall DSP
Check enable inputs
First = HDSP9652 ADAT 1
Last = HDSP9652 SPDIF R
Output Range:
First = HDSP9652 ADAT 1
Last = HDSP9652 SPDIF R

Click apply

At this point Reaper "Should" see all the I/O avail on the RME HDSP.
You stated you saw signal in Totalmix so with the above settings Reaper should also see them. Verify that Reaper Master routing is set to ADAT 1 Output 1 and 2 (L/R).

Your card appears to be working so no worries you will get there it just a bit of a configuration at this point.

Warren
Reaper sees the card and settings are as you suggested.
Ok so I actually do need the word clock cable.
Which slave setting on the ADA? WC or ADAT in?
Ok no NMV word clock cables in my kit. The only cables that came with the card were the MIDI breakout cable, the d style to D style/phono, the internal 2 wire cable to attach to a CD player inside the computer, two TOSLINK cables and the ribbon cable. I’ll have to go pick up a word clock cable. Hopefully these guys here in town have them.

Just to double check, the Word Clock port is on the Expansion card correct?

7th largest city in the USA and zero rg59-75ohm BMC to BMC cables you be found at any of the places that sell any type of studio equipment. Using Word Clock cable or the technical term met mainly with “what is that’s”? We’ll have to go get some parts to ground out for this final repair of a transistor amp. Maybe out of sheer luck they’ll have something.

Last edited by Bjorn.LaSanche; 08-21-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:22 AM   #14
domzy

no, a word clock connection isn't compulsory, you should be able to sync via ADAT shouldn't you?
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:54 AM   #15
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
no, a word clock connection isn't compulsory, you should be able to sync via ADAT shouldn't you?
That’s what I thought. At this point though, a $5 cable isn’t going to hurt. I can see not needing one if the ada was the master, but since it’s going the other way, I think that’s the only way the ADA will see the clock from the RME.

The tech help on the RME forum also said to set the SPDIF in to coaxial, and set the SPDIF out to ADAT as only one line of transmission can be sent across the fiber optic either SPDIF or ADAT and to have the RME card set to receive and send ADAT would work. Which was muddy clear when you’re using one line to receive and one to send. I’ll deal with this card for the time being but I’ve already soured on RME. Big time.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #16
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Just a thought. Do I need some sort of signal amplification to go from the line out of the ADA unit to my powered monitors I wouldn’t think so but I’m not getting any sound from any of the eight outputs at all unless I turn on the turn off the unit then I’ll hear the speakers popping like you normally would when you turn a PA on
Old 08-21-2020, 11:11 AM   #17
domzy

Quote:
Just a thought. Do I need some sort of signal amplification to go from the line out of the ADA unit to my powered monitors
No. Powered monitors should have amplification built in.

Sounds to me like your problems might be with TotalMix. What's going on there? Are you using full or DAW mode? Are you seeing signal for both input & output?
Old 08-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #18
domzy

Quote:
I can see not needing one if the ada was the master, but since it’s going the other way, I think that’s the only way the ADA will see the clock from the RME.
I thought you'd said you have a 2-way connection - ie RME adat out to ada8000 adat in & ada8000 adat out to RME adat in?
Old 08-21-2020, 11:41 AM   #19
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
I thought you'd said you have a 2-way connection - ie RME adat out to ada8000 adat in & ada8000 adat out to RME adat in?
Yes I am using the RME ADAT1 send and receive into the ADA8000 Receive and send respectively. ADAT send from RME to Ada In , the Ada out to RME in.

Using Full mods.
When I playback a project in reaper I see signal in a Playback channel and Master out in Totsl mix.
When I use an input on the front of the ADA I see signal in Totalmix. On a Hardware input channel and main out in Total mix.

Now according to the RME total mix video, either a hardware input or a playback channel in Totalmix is supposed to be routed to one of the hardware outputs, then routed to main.
If I route to ADAT 1&2 it goes to mains if to any of the other pairs input or playback will route to a hardware output, but I cannot assign any hardware output. The option isn’t there. Which makes sense because you’re sending to a completely different output pair. Welll this doesn’t work or send to the ADA, I also am having an issue where the Main our 1&2 is there by default and I cannot change it. There also seems to be part of Totalmix FX missing because they’re aren’t any effects as per the manual. It’s almost as if Totalmix is crippled or not fully installed. But there is no way to check this.

I also did a loop back test on the ADA and got output. With a mic into the monitors.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #20
domzy

Quote:
If I route to ADAT 1&2 it goes to mains if to any of the other pairs input or playback will route to a hardware output, but I cannot assign any hardware output.
You cannot assign any hardware output to what?

Quote:
There also seems to be part of Totalmix FX missing because they’re aren’t any effects as per the manual. It’s almost as if Totalmix is crippled or not fully installed. But there is no way to check this.
No, the 9652 doesn't have built-in effects so you won't see any.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #21
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

I may have understood wrongly, but I was under the impression that an input or the playback channels needed to be routed to one of the output channels then routed to the Main out which were sent to your designated outputs. I kind of figured Totalmix was essentially a headphone mix type software. Where I can assign the mix to several different t outputs. In this case ADAT1, ADAT2, ADAT3. So I could potentially have three main outs. One per ADAT out.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:09 PM   #22
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Found this on Gear Sluts. May or may not pertain. I’m putting it here for my own information.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/show...7&postcount=12
Old 08-21-2020, 12:26 PM   #23
domzy

Quote:

I may have understood wrongly, but I was under the impression that an input or the playback channels needed to be routed to one of the output channels then routed to the Main out which were sent to your designated outputs. I kind of figured Totalmix was essentially a headphone mix type software. Where I can assign the mix to several different t outputs. In this case ADAT1, ADAT2, ADAT3. So I could potentially have three main outs. One per ADAT out.
I'm a bit confused by what you are trying to do, but you don't need to route from an output channel to the main out (are we talking "control room" here)?
The bottom row of TotlaMix is your outputs & control room - you route to these by clicking on them & when they are highlighted, adjusting the faders of the hardware inputs & software playback channels to select what you want on these outputs.
You choose the output for the control room by clicking the assign button (what you select here then becomes unavailable as a hardware output, if appropriate)
Old 08-22-2020, 01:03 AM   #24
WarrenG

It appears from what you posted regarding dsp settings in WDM Devices you have it set for WDM drivers instead of ASIO. Set WDM to 0 devices. Then ASIO will be avail.

And no you don't necessarily need a WC cable as WC can be derived via ADAT but The BNC In my understanding is more stable. That why my configuration uses it. I have used the 2ea. HDSP9652 setup this way approx. 12 years without jitter or loss of sync.

I know its a bit confusing regarding TotalmixFX but the older RME cards like your and mine don't have the DSP for FX, but take advantage all the rest that TOTALMIX has to offer.

They are great and rock solid and RME is still updating their drivers for this card from time to time.

Keep the faith you will get it working.

Warren
Old 08-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #25
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
It appears from what you posted regarding dsp settings in WDM Devices you have it set for WDM drivers instead of ASIO. Set WDM to 0 devices. Then ASIO will be avail.

And no you don't necessarily need a WC cable as WC can be derived via ADAT but The BNC In my understanding is more stable. That why my configuration uses it. I have used the 2ea. HDSP9652 setup this way approx. 12 years without jitter or loss of sync.

I know its a bit confusing regarding TotalmixFX but the older RME cards like your and mine don't have the DSP for FX, but take advantage all the rest that TOTALMIX has to offer.

They are great and rock solid and RME is still updating their drivers for this card from time to time.

Keep the faith you will get it working.

Warren
Thanks Warren. I will remove the WDM reference later today. For a minute I thought the Behringer unit was not outputting anything, but it is as if I turn the unit on or off I have to mute the monitors or I get the thump
I got the BMC cable and have had zero weird anomalies across the computer which I would get before. Like shut offs or visual glitches. It was also the first time the card and ADAT booted up fast.

I’m at the point where the card is talking and the hardware is talking. It’s just one setting away from working but cannot figure out which one.
Old 08-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #26
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Actually here are today’s settings. After swapping the ADAT cables to the ones from RME and the bnc cable.

https://i.postimg.cc/13G5zDzx/112-AB...62511547-A.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/wj8jHwgc/E287-F...74265-BD57.jpg

The WDM reference was me trying to be able to use Windows media player to play to check I had some output.

I should keep the integrated audio installed and use that for all non DAW related audio and not the RME. I saw that mentioned more than a few times in the manual.
Old 08-22-2020, 11:07 PM   #27
WarrenG

I see you only have "sync" on one ADA8000 "ADAT1".
Is that the only one you have hooked up?
If you have all three units you will need to use "T" connectors and cables to loop the other units together so all three receive the Word Clock signal from the RME. Then they all should show up as synced to the RME.
Just so you know, on the RME, "Sync" is preferred "Lock".

In the current configuration is Reaper working with those first 8 channels and SPDIF?
If so it will be Smoooooth from this point on.

All the best, hope you feel as you are making progress?
It certainly appears as you are.

Also in Totalmix set ALL hardware inputs faders all the way down (Reaper will control them).
Set All Software Playback Faders all the way down (Reaper will control this as well).
Set All Hardware output Faders set to 0db.
Any other Totalmix routing in most situations will not be needed, with the exception of Direct Monitoring or sending signals to a hardware effect.
But with Reaper and Totalmix there are many routing possibilities.

I attached a setup file that I use to startup reaper then build from there. It may not work for everyone, but it should be able to check if your setup is correct.
It will set your Main outs on the ADA8000 (ADAT1) to out left to 1 and out right to 2
It also sets up for 6 stereo monitor feeds that output on ADAT 11 thru 22 (only works if 3 ADA8000 units are setup)

I used to live in Granbury Tx, Us Texans need to help each other out.
God Bless Texas as well as the rest of the union, we need it.
( Be advised using on board audio can at times cause latency issues, so if you have that problem later, check there first. )
Warren
Attached Files
File Type: rpp COMPLETE WITH FOLDERS TOTALMIX FOLDBACK.rpp (69.7 KB, 216 views)

Last edited by WarrenG; 08-23-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:39 AM   #28
WarrenG

Hey sorry that file is for using direct monitoring via Totalmix. (You still can test with it to see if everything else is working).
The one I meant to attach uses sends from within reaper.
And you can then use the web remote function's of REAPER for monitors.
I will attach it tomorrow when I am back at the studio.

Warren
Old 08-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #29
WarrenG

Ok here is the file I mentioned that should work for you.
It has all the routing and 6 Foldback sends for monitors.
It Also can use the Reaper "web remote capabilities".

If on your setup the file requests extra files just skip them.

Have fun!

Warren
Attached Files
File Type: rpp COMPLETE WITH FOLDERS WEB REMOTE FOLDBACK.rpp (92.2 KB, 221 views)
Old 08-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #30
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
I see you only have "sync" on one ADA8000 "ADAT1".
Is that the only one you have hooked up?
If you have all three units you will need to use "T" connectors and cables to loop the other units together so all three receive the Word Clock signal from the RME. Then they all should show up as synced to the RME.
Just so you know, on the RME, "Sync" is preferred "Lock".

In the current configuration is Reaper working with those first 8 channels and SPDIF?
If so it will be Smoooooth from this point on.

All the best, hope you feel as you are making progress?
It certainly appears as you are.

Also in Totalmix set ALL hardware inputs faders all the way down (Reaper will control them).
Set All Software Playback Faders all the way down (Reaper will control this as well).
Set All Hardware output Faders set to 0db.
Any other Totalmix routing in most situations will not be needed, with the exception of Direct Monitoring or sending signals to a hardware effect.
But with Reaper and Totalmix there are many routing possibilities.

I attached a setup file that I use to startup reaper then build from there. It may not work for everyone, but it should be able to check if your setup is correct.
It will set your Main outs on the ADA8000 (ADAT1) to out left to 1 and out right to 2
It also sets up for 6 stereo monitor feeds that output on ADAT 11 thru 22 (only works if 3 ADA8000 units are setup)

I used to live in Granbury Tx, Us Texans need to help each other out.
God Bless Texas as well as the rest of the union, we need it.
( Be advised using on board audio can at times cause latency issues, so if you have that problem later, check there first. )
Warren
]

Thank you so much Warren.
I appreciate all the help over this. My mom is in town for a couple days so have t been on the computer as it is in the livingroom using my tv for a monitor and she’s overtaken it to watch her British detective shows. 🧐.
I only have a single card right now. Still no output to the ADA, bamp t the ADA works. I called the guy I got it from and spoke to him of my concerns. He said it had always worked prior and bring it by his place and he would see if it worked on his MOTU setup and if not, he would swap it for another he had. Well it worked fine. So. Hooked it back up waiting til I can really sit with it and figure it out.

Mom has a doctor appt today and when she is doing that I would like to take a screen shot of all parameter Totalmix fx, Hammerfall DSP, Reaper, and system settings and I will shoot the link here to those just to clarify everything is ok and not some obscure simple mistake I’ve made.

When the system turns on I will get a Lock then it goes to sync on the Hammerfall settings. Totalmix I can’t find where it shows my device except at the upper right hand corner. Just to clarify, this is the HDSP version of the 9652, not the Hammerfall or Digi variants. I made the mistake already accidentally purchasing the Digi version as the seller was selling it as a HDSP 9652 but was a Digi9632 w/ extension card which turned it into a 9652. Shipped that back and got this one from another studio that had upgraded to a SSL custom setup. Large frame desk and all.

Sorry for the tangent. The card goes from lock to sync. I figured that is what it was telling me. That it locked on to the card and is not sync’ed with it. You’re saying it should be the other way round? The TC cable did in fact stabilize the setup immensely though. As before there seems to be a little lag when I hit OK when making changes. Now it’s instantaneous.

Just a thought, let’s say there is an actual problem with the hardware aspect of ADAT1 out. Like everything works on the software end except the output transmission of the ADAT port. Does the card need to see ADAT1 being used to enable ADAT 2 or 3 from being used? This I have not tried yet. I just wanted to see if this card had possible broken board level component, I could still use one of the other two possible ports. I’m not talking use the In on 1 and another output but using the send and return of either 2 or 3..

Granbury, Texas huh? No clue where that is, but when you consider you can start driving in Orange Tx on IH10 west on a Monday at 9am and won’t cross into New Mexico leaving El Paso until Wednesday around noon, I’m not surprised at all. I currently live in San Antonio. Yes, god bless this nation as well as the other nation attached to the Republic. Those clowns in That other nation seem to forget just who really runs the show considering this republic is where they have all their military’s heavy armor, attack helicopters, communication and medical hubs, most of the air strike squadrons, bombers, and where they have their OPPENHEIMER TOYS BUILT.

Ok the only on board audio I’m currently using is the one the TV uses via the HDMI connection out of the computer. The computer also has ADAT out which I was going to set up for using my home theater stereo system. That would be with the Realtek internal audio. The computer currently does not show the RME at all in the settings dialog as that is WDM and you suggested to get rid of any WDM. but the card is working properly in Device manager. And as we have discussed, the RME and Cockos software see it and showing signal apparently going from and to the hardware inputs.

I’ll download your settings file when mom leave for her doctor. As of right now, need to finish my coffee and have some cereal. Little suggestion, if you eat cereal try the chocolate and peanut butter Cheerios. It’s like eating a bunch of crunchy Reese’s For breakfast without a bunch of sugar. It’s not too sweet I mean. Til later Sir. Again thank you. Also a mega thanks to the others who have chimed in. Once I get this working I’ll shoot all of you a few dollars to get a beer or two and let’s have a group Skype beer together if we can.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #31
domzy

Quote:
]

Just a thought, let’s say there is an actual problem with the hardware aspect of ADAT1 out. Like everything works on the software end except the output transmission of the ADAT port. Does the card need to see ADAT1 being used to enable ADAT 2 or 3 from being used?
No, you should be able to use any of them as required

Quote:
]
The computer also has ADAT out which I was going to set up for using my home theater stereo system. That would be with the Realtek internal audio.
I doubt this is an ADAT port, it's probably an optical SPDIF port
Old 08-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #32
WarrenG

Looking forward to see how it turns out when you get back to it.
Enjoy your time with mom, that time seems so short when their gone.
I'm getting older and like those brit shows as well (Dry humor or any humor for that matter)
NO $ required at all just want to help you get back to making music.
And yes TX is big, Granbury is close to Dallas/Fort worth.
Domzy is correct that is a optical Spdif connector on your boob tube (TV) so it won't work for your needs.
All the best!

Warren
Old 08-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #33
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
No, you should be able to use any of them as required

I doubt this is an ADAT port, it's probably an optical SPDIF port

its to connect the computer to a surround system as per manual the HDMI port actually carries audio as well and not video only
Old 08-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #34
domzy

Quote:
its to connect the computer to a surround system as per manual the HDMI port actually carries audio as well and not video only
Yeah, i know. None of that is really relevant to the RME though, i don't think.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:29 PM   #35
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, i know. None of that is really relevant to the RME though, i don't think.
No it isnt. Quite frankly I am at a loss over this whole thing. I get zero way to check if the RME is even sending data to the Behringer and the Behrnger has no way to check to see if it has input

OK I edited this because earlier I was severely pissed off about this but pushing forward.

I just got done performing a loopback test on all ADAT ins and outs on th eRME all Lock/Sync so the card is working. Anyone know how to test a Behringer ADA8000? Im not discussing anything with Behringer as their clique can pound sand. Quite tired of having to re-register there every time I am looking for a driver or tech support. Music Tribe has essentially locked me out of my account there. It says my email and User name are invalid I tried to re register like norma, now this time it goes on to say my email and user name are used by another member So I am stuck on that and my saved work for my band and my TC Electronics devices are in the wind. I am writing that corporation off.. Theives.

I will try to find a way to physicaly test the unit if not then Ill send it to a buddy in Florida who will hack the thing and make it work. If not into the landfill it goes.

Warren, I am not sure what to do with the two files you sent. There is not audio on either to see if it was something on my end to check.

I am out of ideas.

Last edited by Bjorn.LaSanche; 08-29-2020 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Trying to let sanity prevail
Old 08-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #36
WarrenG

Sorry to hear you having so much trouble.

Once the file (Second one) is loaded in Reaper. Find a .wav or .mp3 music file om your hard drive with file explorer and drag and drop it to track 28 I named it WAV TK Make sure WAV TK, I/O Buss, and MIX BUSS are set to "Record Monitoring on" play it and you should see meter level change on the Folder "I/O Buss" as well as on "MIX BUSS and Master" the sound should play on outputs of your ADAT 1 outs 1 and 2.

If that does not work you can test you ADAT units by looping an ADAT optical cable from the ADAT output to the ADAT input. this sends the units front panel inputs directly to the units back panel outputs 1 to , 2 to 2 etc.
Hook up the output 1 to your speaker system and play some music through input 1, START AT A LOW LEVEL at first. If that works check with channel 2, 3 and so on.
If that does not work there would seem to be an issue with your ADA800.

Let me know so we can troubleshoot further if necessary.

All the best!

Warren
Old 09-01-2020, 04:40 PM   #37
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Quote:
Sorry to hear you having so much trouble.

Once the file (Second one) is loaded in Reaper. Find a .wav or .mp3 music file om your hard drive with file explorer and drag and drop it to track 28 I named it WAV TK Make sure WAV TK, I/O Buss, and MIX BUSS are set to "Record Monitoring on" play it and you should see meter level change on the Folder "I/O Buss" as well as on "MIX BUSS and Master" the sound should play on outputs of your ADAT 1 outs 1 and 2.

If that does not work you can test you ADAT units by looping an ADAT optical cable from the ADAT output to the ADAT input. this sends the units front panel inputs directly to the units back panel outputs 1 to , 2 to 2 etc.
Hook up the output 1 to your speaker system and play some music through input 1, START AT A LOW LEVEL at first. If that works check with channel 2, 3 and so on.
If that does not work there would seem to be an issue with your ADA800.

Let me know so we can troubleshoot further if necessary.

All the best!

Warren

I got noting by performing a loop-back test on the ADA I am also acquiescing to possible operator error. trying to find anything to figure this out led me down a HUGE rabbit hole, that

I would want to discuss offsite or at least in PM as it deals with hardware design flaws. Stuff that you would want to hear as an ADA8200 owner as well. Anyone on this threat own either an ADA8000 or 8200 pm me and i can either cut paste or we can do a group email or something.

Two definite conclusions I have come to. RME is a good company, their online forum support guy needs to be placed into a different position and get someone there who is a little less snarky and self superior. The other people there are great as well. But the forum Support guy, I want to punch him repeatedly in the throat.

Behringer, Uwe Behringer needs to stop hiding his company Everyone knows they blatantly steal intellectual property and reverse engineer it to sell it to people in the cheap. There is absolutely zero reason why I have to as a customer register for an account, submit a support request, told my piece of gear is out of waranty and will not be able to submit a waranty claim then have the ticket closed, when I asked for the name and number to the local authorized support center for a NON- WARANTY Repair. The second elevated request has still remained unanswered. I asked openly in one of the3ir stupid Tribe forumns * talk about classism and segregation...diversity anyone????* to which I essentially was assaulted by two CSR Music Tribe employees who kept telling me that i did not have the ADA8000 set properly, was not using the proper Nehringer approved TOSLINK cable. Who authorized for me to perform a loop-back test, and where did I learn it and from whom? Each answer to their questions I was told IT was my fault their product was not working right.. I said I am not playing this and asked again for Authorized Service Center in my local area. I was told they would email me. I logged off and now cannot log back on it says there is no SN with my email and to register again. I try that and it says there is already am email with an account. SO I have been banned from Music Tribe it seems. If you call Music Tribe Las Vegas(corporate HQ in the US terrotory) no one answers the phone fo eve and when they do tey tell you tat you ave to register for an account on te website. o a human cannot even get an address for a service center on the website like every other product manufacture on the planet.

I found out locally who the service center is and callled them Im going to bite the bullet and pay 53 bux to have a diagnostic done. But forwarned They cannot raise anyone at Behringer for the past year. They have3 been waiting on waranty parts since last june no emails answered. He said it is almost as if Music Tribe as a whole got sucked into another universe. They are not speaking to anyone in the US service center network except a few big markets but those markets are overwhelmed and not allowed to distribute overload to smaller areas and mall markets cannot send to the big ones to help move things along o have reps communicate to smaller centers. He said its nation wide and the service centers think it might all go under. I may just go and pay the guy $50 for a copy of the schematic.

Yeah ive had fun this past week. I did pick up a Marshall Lead 12 Microstack in White from 1986 so the white looks like cream color now. I finished my friends amps I was working on, started rebuilding my pedal board, set up te stereo and all about have forgotten recording any music. I have also been talking to a few persons on Group DIY on how to diagnose the ADA electronically. I ave yet to sit and mess with it. One, its pisssed me off, two I have no way to repair SMD components.

Ok there arre a couple things i thought about.

1. The ADA i not a mixer and doesnt sum so souldnt I send outpuit to ADA 1 and pan hard left then ADA 2 pan hard right?
https://i.ibb.co/0ynZccS/total-mix-setting.png

how are these settings supposed to be?

https://i.ibb.co/jhY1yz0/DP-global-setting.png

still trying to figure this out Seems I only can choose 4 output pairs, and cannot route to 8 mono tracks out, ?

https://i.ibb.co/L8fPwhd/Reaper-setting-idea.png.

now im gonna go fix my kb as thhhius took and hourr to type due to sticking letters and numberrss sseeeeeeee!
Old 09-06-2020, 09:15 PM   #38
Bjorn.LaSanche
Banned

Ok here is the deal. The input section of the ada8000 Works and that’s all it does
The output section is damage due to the design of the unit. The transformer is a piss poor design per the repair shops tech. It is a transformer that is for the European market and is center tapped and split into two halves for us market. The full transformer is on all the time as they only have the unused portion taped off. Besides the point. The transformer overheated and killed the regulator to the output.

It can be repaired, except Behringer no longer is speaking to any of what they call small market authorized repair shops. They have. Backlog of Behringer units dating to over a year and a half. Most have already expired warranties while they have been waiting for response from Behringer for warranty parts. The repair centers (as this is happening across the USA) will not have emails responded to nor even opened as many have resorted to attaching a read response to the emails. His emails to Behringer waiting response number over two hundred. He was quite stressed about the situation as well as sympathetic toward mine. He politely declined to work on the unit even since I would be paying out of pocket. I could source the parts myself and bring them in, but stil I would be waiting on a 9 week backlog.

So until I can afford to purchase something else, do any of you know what I might be able to use to monitor what is being played on my new sound card? Seeing that using internal software isn’t usable. I’m even at a loss as to how these would hook up in a real studio unless the DAC have outs which can be used through something.

I’m a little pissed about this since the guy who I got the ada8000 assured me that it used to work (calling back on that one that’s why he unloaded it in the first place). Til then I’m probably going to source my own parts and buy a rework machine and do it myself. I really hate this ducking lazy as city I’m in.people don’t want to work anymore and everyone passes the buck)

Don’t get me started on Behringer. Thy may make some cool stuff, but their as well as every other corporation need their customer support people and the ones who train them thrown into wood chipper feet first.