Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 03-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #41
WHAMMO!
Human being with feelings

He is right about a certain 'cast' to the colors. For example, if you edit a track color, the actual color is all washed out compared to the preview in the color selector. I bet it is a transparency issue.
WHAMMO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #42
sqkychair

How do I get my midi cc bars to display with a gradient?

Like in here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=218346
sqkychair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #43
Esteban_M

Default Issue with Mixer Strip layout

Hi, I've tried messing around with the variables in order to fix this issue but no to avail so I come here asking for help in case no one has reported this yet.

The issue is real simple. In the mixer window, when "Clickable icon for folder tracks to show/hide children" is checked and "ed -- Strip Meter Bridge" is selected as the mixer panel layout, the clickable icon does nothing so even though it is there and works as normal on other mixer layouts it does not for any of the strip layouts.

I'm attaching a screenshot for reference but the issue is as simple as described before. I hope someone can take a look at this, I'll be more than glad to help troubleshoot to get this fixed.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (5.7 KB, 848 views)

estebanmmusic.carrd.co
Esteban_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #44
Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban_M View Post
Hi, I've tried messing around with the variables in order to fix this issue but no to avail so I come here asking for help in case no one has reported this yet.

The issue is real simple. In the mixer window, when "Clickable icon for folder tracks to show/hide children" is checked and "ed -- Strip Meter Bridge" is selected as the mixer panel layout, the clickable icon does nothing so even though it is there and works as normal on other mixer layouts it does not for any of the strip layouts.

I'm attaching a screenshot for reference but the issue is as simple as described before. I hope someone can take a look at this, I'll be more than glad to help troubleshoot to get this fixed.

Thanks!
It seems that the foldercomp button in all of the ea-ed strip layouts is
broken.
The problem is this: there is not enough room for the foldercomp button
and the track index to live comfortably together in these layouts.
I think since the strip layout is only 20-0dd Px wide,
the foldercomp feature could be considered not necessary, and maybe if it
were me I would just 'rem' it out (turn it off) by placing a semicolon in front of the "set.mcp.folder" command in the rtconfig file
under heading: Layout "ea - Strip" "strip" (All strip layouts inherit their
WALTER from this layout). This would disable the trackcomping feature and
smooshed folder indicator for the strip layouts, but give plenty of room for the track index number. However, I know that your priority is the foldercomp
button, so let's see what we can do.

If we look at the WALTER for the "ea - Strip" layout, we see that
about half way down, there is a piece of code that sets the track index
in front of all other elements.

Layout "ea - Strip" "strip"
set mcp.recmon e##order_recmon
set mcp.fxin e##order_fxin
set mcp.recinput e##order_recinput

front mcp.trackidx <------------

set mcp.label.margin [0 4 0 4 0.5]
set mcp.recinput.color ?recarm [255 255 255] [210 210 210]
set mcp.recinput.margin [0 20 0 4 0.5 0.5]
If we put a semicolon in front of that "Front" command like this:
;front
It will tell REAPER to disregard and leave the z order alone, thereby
drawing the foldercomp button and folder indicator on top of the
track index. Now your foldercomp button works, and the tracks dissappear like expected, but the track number of the parent is not visible. Well,
I guess it's kind of a tradeoff isn't it. Since you will be able to see
all the other track numbers, it should not be a problem. it's just one track. This is a common difficulty you run into when putting these 3
elements on the same line, and really, in this layout all 3 elements into
a 20-odd Px space. You may say well the way it is, I can see the darn button, why can't I push it!! Because the area of the track index element
covers it, and remember, the track index is set to be in front of the folder button in the code. the fact that you can see the foldercomp button is only due to the fact that the track index background is transparent.
There may of course be a number of other ways that you could remedy this but these 2 solutions (which aren't 100% solutions) allow a fix with minimal
time and work -- just unpacking the theme and adding a ";" to one line or another. Other remedies may include rearranging elements, resizing track
index area, and of course resetting index margins, etc., or even widening the track layout, which would be an even bigger can of worms.......

Stick with disabling the "front" command. Save RTConfig. Done.

Never
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:24 AM   #45
Esteban_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never View Post
If we put a semicolon in front of that "Front" command like this:
;front
It will tell REAPER to disregard and leave the z order alone, thereby
drawing the foldercomp button and folder indicator on top of the
track index. Now your foldercomp button works, and the tracks dissappear like expected, but the track number of the parent is not visible. Well,
I guess it's kind of a tradeoff isn't it.
This was a great idea Never, thank you very much! The semicolon fix is actually the best solution possible for me as I don't really look for track numbers but rather track names. The fact that this mixer layout has a wide track name label is one of the reasons I use it so the trade off in this case is barely anything to me.

Again, thanks for the suggestion! I'm attaching a couple of screenshots just for archival purposes in case someone else is in need of this.
Attached Images
File Type: png Fix Open.PNG (7.1 KB, 835 views)
File Type: png Fix Closed.PNG (4.3 KB, 749 views)

estebanmmusic.carrd.co
Esteban_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:29 PM   #46
Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban_M View Post
This was a great idea Never, thank you very much! The semicolon fix is actually the best solution possible for me as I don't really look for track numbers but rather track names. The fact that this mixer layout has a wide track name label is one of the reasons I use it so the trade off in this case is barely anything to me.

Again, thanks for the suggestion! I'm attaching a couple of screenshots just for archival purposes in case someone else is in need of this.

Great! Glad I could help.
Never
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:17 PM   #47
bywaterandblood

Default If wishes were fishes

I wish there were some videos on Reaper theme editing and creation. I've found one or two but they don't really seem all that relevant today. I want to customize some of the themes I've downloaded, like Default_Analog 1.8 and Concerto 1.0. Anyone have any suggestions for a newb like me? Most of this is somewhat cryptic and not explained very well, and this is a web designer talking. I've tried messing around with the rtconfig and dragging it back into the zip package but I don't see any changes happening when I switch themes.

EDIT: I have managed to make some changes to the default theme but custom themes seem much more tricky. I changed an image in the Concerto theme and made a new .ReaperThemeZip file. When I dragged it into Reaper the UI went mostly white and seemed to revert to a default theme of some sort. I tried it again, this time starting with the original Concerto zip file, and it looked more like the theme but was still pretty messed up. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Question: Why is there a folder and another archive within the archive file, both containing the same content?

Last edited by bywaterandblood; 07-12-2019 at 09:08 PM.
bywaterandblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:17 PM   #48
Dyl

Default Theme tweaking

I saved a theme using the action: theme development show theme tweak/configuration macro/script(?)
It's saved in the color themes folder along with the other themes there but it doesn't have an rtconfig.txt file linked to it.
Can I create one and link it to my theme?
Is it hidden somewhere?

Not sure what my options are, I would be grateful for pointers.
Dyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #49
tonybeepbeep

Anyone like to help a theme noob out who is failing to rename to a .zip in W10?

Trying to extract the config file of a theme and falling at the first hurdle
tonybeepbeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:16 PM   #50
Ataraxia2320

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybeepbeep View Post
Anyone like to help a theme noob out who is failing to rename to a .zip in W10?

Trying to extract the config file of a theme and falling at the first hurdle
Open the folder - click on view - make sure the text box "file name extensions" is checked.

Rename the file with the extension .zip
Ataraxia2320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:50 AM   #51
Juan D'Fall

Location: On the Eastern edge of London (UK), almost on the Essex border.

Following on from Tonys post, I presume I have to zip it back up and take the dot out when I'm done. Is this correct? I'd like to try to change those armed meters back to normal as per another post that I've temporarily mislaid. As an aside, is there a safe version of 7zip? last time I tried it I got loads pop ups and rubbish on my computer. it took me ages to find it all and get rid of it. I got that off the official site. I'm using Windows (10) internal zipper for the moment but it's not ideal.
Thanking you all in advance for your help.
Jim
Juan D'Fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:07 PM   #52
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan D'Fall View Post
Following on from Tonys post, I presume I have to zip it back up and take the dot out when I'm done. Is this correct? I'd like to try to change those armed meters back to normal as per another post that I've temporarily mislaid. As an aside, is there a safe version of 7zip? last time I tried it I got loads pop ups and rubbish on my computer. it took me ages to find it all and get rid of it. I got that off the official site. I'm using Windows (10) internal zipper for the moment but it's not ideal.
Thanking you all in advance for your help.
Jim
You only need to Zip it if planning to share on Stash or some other cloud source.
You can just leave it in the File & Folder state otherwise.
Make sure to rename it in either case.

IIRC, 7zip has a check box during the installation that allows it to load the crap on your machine,
Make sure to uncheck it.

::
Old 04-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #53
Juan D'Fall

Location: On the Eastern edge of London (UK), almost on the Essex border.

Thank you Lucas. I think I've found out what's going on with 7zip. On 7zips site, I found another version that is packed as .msi (windows installer). It seems that a couple of the tests on Virus Total falsely think that the self extractor in the .exe version is malware. The .msi version comes up totally clean. I installed that version and have had no problems. As you said, I didn't have to zip it back up when I'd finished. I simply did 'open archive', dragged in the files I wanted to change and then closed 7zip. When I re started Reaper, my changes had taken effect, I didn't have to re name anything. I'm very slowly picking this theme tweaking lark up thanks to everyones help.
Thanks for the help.
Jim
Juan D'Fall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #54
juan_r

Default Highlight selected, align faders. That's all I need!

I only have just two requests about the appearance of Reaper. I'm writing them here in the lair of the archthemers. It would be so nice if the next iteration of Theme Adjuster could deal with them!

1. A binary option to highlight selected tracks/items/AI/everything with a border. The border should ideally be visible for all track/item color choices, so it should be somewhat adaptive. Even as simple as black for light colors and white for dark ones. It's often hard to tell what is actually selected.

2. A simple way to have track level faders in TCP/MCP align even when the tracks are nested in subfolders.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #55
d. gauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
It's often hard to tell what is actually selected.
this ^
d. gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 05:40 AM   #56
loreto.z

Default What theme am I on

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Have you found a theme you like, but feel there is something not quite to your preference? A little tweak that would get it just right? Understandably, you don't really want to learn everything there is to know about theming just to achieve what might be a simple goal.

The reality is that the tweak you seek might, indeed, be very simple to achieve. It might, however, be complex or even impossible. The objective of this thread is to present those tweaks that are both commonly requested and also most easily achieved.

Before we get to the tweaks, however, please consider this:

Ask someone else to do it

Without the theming community, there would be no themes. Many themes are tweaks of other themes. There are a lot of good people here who might find it a trivial amount of effort to do what you want; the person who made the theme you want to tweak might even show interest in doing it. If you can clearly state what you want, why you want it, post in an agreeable manner and say please, maybe you'll get lucky. Be Nice.

Required knowledge : Unpacking a theme

In all likelihood, your theme is packed as a '.ReaperThemeZip' file, which Reaper can use directly. This is just a '.zip' file which has had its extension renamed. To tweak the theme, you are going to want to unpack it. All your active themes live in a folder. Find this folder by selecting 'Options > Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder...' and opening the 'ColorThemes' folder.
  1. Find the '.ReaperThemeZip' theme file.
  2. Change its extension to '.ReaperTheme.Zip'
  3. Unzip it.

What you have unzipped should be : A theme file (.'ReaperTheme' extension) and a resource folder with, most likely, the name of the theme. These parts together are an unpacked Reaper theme. Please note that they should both be in the root ColorThemes folder, if your zip program has put them in a new folder then move them into the root.

If you would like a walkthrough of these steps, follow all but the last part of the helper in 'Step 1 : Open the rtconfig.txt file' here.

If Reaper finds a packed theme and an unpacked theme with the same name, you'll only see one theme in the theme selector. Choose it and what you'll see will be the unpacked theme, which Reaper will prioritise. Note : Some themes, such as the default themes, change name when they are unpacked.

An unpacked .ReaperTheme file can also reference a packed .ReaperThemeZip file as its resource folder, which can get... confusing This is most likely to happen if you use the 'Theme development/tweaker' on a packed theme file. Lets ignore that!

Required knowledge : Refreshing the theme

If you've made changes to any theme files using external tools, you need to tell Reaper to refresh the theme. This is done by changing to a different theme, and then back again. Use the shortcuts Ctrl+Alt+PGDOWN (switch to next theme) and then Ctrl+Alt+PGUP (switch to previous theme).
(If you do a lot of theme work, you may want to make a custom action containing these two commands, and assign it to a shortcut and/or toolbar button.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tweak : Changing colors and fonts

The most basic features of a Reaper theme reside in its .ReaperTheme file. This is just a text file; you can open it and edit it with a text editor. Open it now and have a look, see that its nothing scary or clever, though it isn't very user friendly. To help with that, Reaper provides two built-in tools to help you find which of those inscrutable entries you want to edit, and to make editing them easy.

That file determines colors and fonts used in many parts of Reaper. Note, however:
  • Some parts cannot be themed.
  • Some parts share font or color definitions with other parts, and occasionally in uneditable combinations that may limit you.
  • More advanced theming functions may have overridden fonts and colours set here, or covered them with image files, in the Track panels, Mixer panels and the Transport bar.

Finding the color element you want to change

Select 'Actions > Show action list...'. Check that the Section drop down in the top right is set to 'Main'. In the Filter box type 'Theme Development'. You should see two entries; double click on the first: 'Theme Development: Show theme element finder'.

The first drop down in the Theme element finder will highlight the areas set by each color assigment. Select the first entry, then use the down arrow key to scroll through the assignments. Take note of the name of the area you want to change.

Editing the file

Reaper's built-in editor for the .ReaperTheme file of a theme is found using the action list as described above. Double click the second entry: 'Theme Development: Show theme tweak/configuration window'. Here you can launch your OS's colour editor or font selector to edit each of the .ReaperTheme file's entries.

For more advanced themes, don't forget to check out the 'WALTER font' entries. With a little trial and error you may find the theme maker has used these to set fonts in key areas on the Track panels, Mixer panels and/or Transport Bar.

I would advise against messing with the 'Image resource path' setting at the bottom, for now.

Tweak : Making meter colours editable

As described above, advanced theming functions can override colors that you might otherwise easily tweak using the theme tweak/configuration window. You will often find this is the case on modern themes, because it uses an image that gives the theme maker deeper control over all conditions of the meter colors. However, if you disable that image then the control of the colors will revert to the old form.

Open the resource folder that was extracted when you unpacked the .ReaperThemeZip file. Find the following files:
Code:
meter_strip_h.png
meter_strip_v.png
meter_strip_v_rms.png
meter_clip_h.png 
meter_clip_v.png
meter_clip_v_rms.png
meter_clip_v_rms2.png
If you corrupt the special file names of any of these images, they will be disabled. Try renaming the vertical strip image to:
Code:
x_meter_strip_v.png
Refresh the theme, and the vertical meter strips will have reverted, and you will be able to edit the colors using the theme tweak/configuration window.

This approach will also work with other images that override color definitions, such as panel backgrounds.

Tweak : Editing the Default_5.0 Theme

The default theme for REAPER 5 has been designed to be more easily edited by you, the user. I have done this by controlling some sections of the theme's complex underlying WALTER script using a system of macros that I call 'Flow'.

Flow responds to the most common requests that I hear from users - to be able to decide the order in which interface elements are hidden when a panel is shrunk, and the size of elements - without learning WALTER. With Flow, you can do just that merely by changing a few clearly labelled numbers in a text file.

I have provided a walk through on how to achieve this HERE.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do share suggestions for tweaks that are often requested and easily achieved that you think might fit well into this sticky.
Hi, I am about to follow your (Edit theme 5) walkthrough, problem is I have just done some theme tweaks but do not know what theme I am currently on, maybe I am not on the default theme 5 so I better find out what theme I am currently on before I edit. Is there a way to see what theme I am on, cause when I go to choose a theme none of them are marked so I cannot tell which one I am on.
Thanks for all your hard n usefull work you do.
loreto.z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:02 PM   #57
loreto.z

Default huberkinky

Huberkinky first I wish you well cause I think you need it, secondly when I get tired and get a bit stuck in my music making I find it refreshing to do something else, like making Reaper more pleasant to look and work with to my likes. This gives me time to refresh my mind and new ideas pop into my head that I apply to my music. I also read up on new ways to work with Reaper, thanks to people that do wonderful tutorials.
Personally I do not think it is a waste of time, you yourself have taken time out to respond to this thread, too bad you did it negativaly. Take it easy huberkinky, spread only good vibes my parents always said to me, and it will make you feel better. Ciao
loreto.z is offline   Reply With Quote