Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 01-16-2019, 04:40 AM   #201
sightlessness
Human being with feelings

Ok, so I found out my 1.99 fix was temporary, as I mentioned before,
for example when you hit the arm record button, the fader moves a pixel
to the right.

So I knew I had to try fixing it with original global scale 2.

I changed the values

def shrink0 h<1103
def shrink1 h<1062
def shrink2 h<982
def shrink3 h<957
def shrink4 h<918

To

def shrink0 h<983
; was 1103 can be ZERO or 1, it doesn't matter. Max 983 to display all needed images. ************** REVISED NEEDED CODE DOESNT HURT OTHER IMAGES POSITION ******************
def shrink1 h<962
; was 1062 ************** REVISED NEEDED CODE DOESNT HURT OTHER IMAGES POSITION ******************
def shrink2 h<982
; Or Zero it doesn't matter
def shrink3 h<0
; was 957 ************** REVISED NEEDED CODE DOESNT HURT OTHER IMAGES POSITION ******************
def shrink4 h<0
; was 918 ************** REVISED NEEDED CODE DOESNT HURT OTHER IMAGES POSITION ******************

And now, all the images appear Mixer at max height (at global scale 2 originally was missing buttons only 1.99 was showing all buttons),
missing were the SEND buttons (Triangles) for example (Master, Aux, Receive),
but I STILL don't get FX slots, I have to drag the VU meter down so they are shown, placing them at the top (which was always the case but now I have all buttons showing).

I wish I could have one layout with fixed positions (no macros) so that maybe I could figure out the issue? I have spent days trying to figure out the issue, lol,
at least I have found out those values made some buttons appear (and changing
Windows to a lower scale, i.e. 175%, doesn't do a thing). And higher, i.e. 225%,
makes the Mixer disappear again said buttons.

Sigh by Charlie Brown, on Flickr
Old 01-16-2019, 05:30 AM   #202
jrengmusic

You may want to wait Justin fix the problems at REAPER side first, in order to get consistency across OSes. Then i will update METRIC. Otherwise your fixes may break in the upcoming REAPER updates.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:23 AM   #203
sightlessness

Alrighty, I guess I will keep hopes up. Thanks and cheers!
Old 02-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #204
sightlessness

Alrighty, so Justin's fix fixed it indeed. Plus WT fix multiplier makes this theme work almost perfect (tracks names appear thanks to WT's fix). Global scale at 2 as originally set.

No need on my end to set Windows scaling to 200%, at 100% works as it should.

On my end, I need to maximize (size wise, not maximize a la Windows) and go a little beyond screen estate to make the Triangles image (master/send/receive) appear, and
envelope button doesn't show, and I bet that if I could make the mixer higher it would show up, but apparently it has a limit (for 'safe' reasons I guess). ***

And as I suspected (and experimentation with other themes), volume faders line up no matter whether you use 12+db or 18+db thingie in Preferences.

The only issue (if an issue at all) is that now this is too big, lol. I ignore the size of a retina screen, but on my 55" monitor is overkill, and I can't get lower than 100% Windows scaling. And trying to mess with global scaling just messes elements up.

*** Other than that, theme works flawlessly so far. I guess I don't need that env button on the MCP. Mixer displays 18 tracks as it should plus Master one.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:06 AM   #205
jrengmusic

Default METRIC updated March 11, 2019.

METRIC updated to work with the latest REAPER update v5.972.

Code:
REAPER v5.97 updates
Theme: fix retina vs HiDPI inconcistency relating to label margins
WALTER: fix HiDPI extended mixer mode setting
This update should fix
  • TCP/MCP label issues across OS.
  • Transport BPM margin

I don't have HiDPI Windows/Linux machine to test the latest version, but if you do and still have any problem please discuss here.

Download link in the #1 post

Last edited by jrengmusic; 03-11-2019 at 08:11 AM.
jrengmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:06 PM   #206
jrengmusic

I found misaligned fader line on default master mcp, bpm and tap margin on transport and fix it. Download link updated.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:13 AM   #207
+NRG

Amazing / stunning piece of work and creativity! I wish I had the monitor to utilize this amazing theme...
Old 07-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #208
talustalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post
I found misaligned fader line on default master mcp, bpm and tap margin on transport and fix it. Download link updated.
This theme has become a literal lifesaver for my workflow on a MacBook retina screen. Absolutely masterful work of art. Thank you very much for the work you put into this.

Is it possible to alter the transparency/saturation of how the TCP and MCP colors are displayed so that the chosen color is exactly applied without any dimming?
talustalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:49 AM   #209
jrengmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
Is it possible to alter the transparency/saturation of how the TCP and MCP colors are displayed so that the chosen color is exactly applied without any dimming?
METRIC does not support tinting the whole panel TCP/MCP. except for its label. Thus how track color displayed is affected by its label background image.

If you want the color displayed exactly as it was chosen,
  • unpack the theme
  • edit two files, tcp_namebg.png and mcp_namebg.png.
  • selectively for the center part, make it fully opaque/transparent.
  • Repack, reload the theme.

Note that both files are unique corresponds to its layout.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:41 AM   #210
talustalus

Quote:
METRIC does not support tinting the whole panel TCP/MCP. except for its label. Thus how track color displayed is affected by its label background image.

• unpack the theme

Thanks.
Really is masterful DAW art.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #211
sightlessness

Default Is there a way to Con Reaper to show the theme half size

VERY IMPORTANT EDIT (for me): While Reaper open, I set Windows Display Settings to 175%, signed out, logged back in, opened Reaper and then changed Windows Display Settings back to 100%, that did the trick.
BUT, if I sign out again, log back again and open Reaper, JRENG Metric AGAIN is big and only showing 18 tracks. I am looking for this change to be permanent.

Ok, so I hadn't open Reaper for a while, I had Windows Display Settings (Scale and Layout) set to 175% because I was using Studio One Pro.

Then just for kicks I was just showing another person how Reaper was showing
normal themes very very small (at 100% Windows Scaling, I changed it from aforementioned 15%), and then changed to JRENG Metric to show how it big it was.

All of a sudden, since all themes were showing very very small, like unusable unless
I used Windows Display Settings at 150% or higher, JRENG Metric showed as I think
it should have all along (as it was a normal theme, it looked BEAUTIFUL, I had lots of tracks, etc).

Then I was trying to duplicate, etc... changing settings trying to go back and forth
the settings that made this possible... to no avail.

Now ALL normal themes show very very well, crystal clear fonts and images, and JRENG Metric (the best of all) big as always (where you get only about 18 tracks in view, and unless you have the Mixer full screen it eats away some elements).

So, for one, I am happy normal themes appear to look this well, but my fave still isn't.

Before buying a 4K Oled, I used another one I had, used the same laptop, and I remember saying "yes, looks great lots of real estate" but now I can't duplicate
in that TV either.

I tried changing EXE properties, Compatibility, Change high DPI settings, different combos... nothing. Tried Reaper's Advanced UI settings, all combos I think... nothing.

So my question is: Is there a way to Con Reaper to show the theme half size?

I feel this new behaviour (to me) is due latest Windows update (10) which in a way is great but... I had this JRENG Metric for 2 minutes looking in all its glory.

For you it may be nothing but in my vantage point I NEED this to work if I were to continue using Reaper, because I know so far is the best still (Performance for me is everything).

Again, using 4K Oled TV.

EDIT 2: Also still on Windows the theme no matter what size the mixer is, VU Meters area still is below FX/Seds/FX Parameters area and all buttons drag (leaving shadows of it behind)
unless I drag VU Meter (Gain text) all the way up, which still makes FX/Seds/FX Parameters area disappear hence not usable.
Again, too bad because it looks very very good, showing 25/32 (TCP/MCP) is amazing.

EDIT 3: I want to stress that with my picture I am proving the theme can be displayed smaller so we have more Real Estate, more tracks shown, as a normal Reaper theme in Windows 10, 4k resolution.
The question is: How? Or how to make it permanent? Perhaps what is playing tricks on us is Windows 10 not Reaper? Idk.

JRENg Flicker by Charlie Brown, on Flickr

Last edited by sightlessness; 07-25-2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added pic
sightlessness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:34 PM   #212
talustalus

Quote:

• unpack the theme

Jreng, one more thing. I notice the MIDI editor is missing the 'Key Snap' checkbox. Is this omission part of your theme?

Edit: My bad, it appeared when I docked the editor, but is not there in separate window mode. In any case - IGNORE.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #213
talustalus

Quote:

• unpack the theme

Jreng, what would be the custom tweak to make your Metric Transport logo replace the logo on the Analog Transport?
(great logo, by the way).
Old 08-11-2019, 11:09 PM   #214
jrengmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by talustalus View Post
Jreng, what would be the custom tweak to make your Metric Transport logo replace the logo on the Analog Transport?
(great logo, by the way).
Extract the theme. Find transport_bg.png

IIRC There's no WALTER difference affecting the layout. So probably the easiest way is just replace transport_bg.png from METRIC (parent folder) to A_T.

But your analog transport background color will be really dark vs dark-cyan-ish from the analog layout.

If you want to be super precise,
  • erase the logo from analog transport_bg.png (replace the logo with its bg color)
  • cut out the logo from METRIC layout
  • paste it to analog transport_bg.png

Be careful not to touch the pink lines.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:31 AM   #215
lucas_LCS

you can try renaming the transport_bg.png file in the A-T sub-folder and use the one attached to this post.

Attached Images
File Type: png transport_bg.png (26.8 KB, 1324 views)

Last edited by lucas_LCS; 08-12-2019 at 02:12 AM.
lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #216
Lopez

The dark background should be a bit more lighter - in this state it hurts my eyes too much
The theme looks awesome anyway!
Old 08-12-2019, 02:40 AM   #217
jrengmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
The dark background should be a bit more lighter - in this state it hurts my eyes too much
The theme looks awesome anyway!
What background? Arrange area?

You can use Theme Development/Tweaker and choose whatever color do you like and save it.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #218
sightlessness

Alright! This is awesome! I knew there bugs somewhere (and fixed, thanks Justin?) :P

Latest Reaper version displays FINALLY the theme properly! Finally the VU meters
show at the top instead of below the fx/sends area. ( Reaper version v5.982 )

::::::::: 4K for the win :::::::::

When using the Mixer in floating mode, when you use the whole height of the screen,
almost all controls show, except INPUT and TRIM, but when you move the mixer 2 pixels down and resize it 2 pixels more (I know, 2 pixels is aprox, I have no way in telling how many pixels but the resizing is almost micro) INPUT controls show.

So only TRIM is cut out. And there is no way of making the Mixer bigger/higher, since
I guess because of coding of the theme/Reaper there is a limitation.

So, aside that, we know, it looks AMAZING. But... too big... haha. I understand
first and foremost (I think I said that already in previous posts):

"This is made for the Retina thingy and given as is."

I understand now that since the Retina and Mac monitors are 27" usually? the theme
in my screen is gonna look massive (55") so of course I was how to make this smaller. But you can't (I have Windows on 100% scaling).

Then I found this amazing news... hidden somewhere on this forum, wink wink,
and I guess because of rules I can't say much about it, just leaving you this Screenshot: I got 36 tracks on the mixer right away, theme looks amazing (how
many times can I say this, lol) so having lots of real estate is so sweet, the theme
is so well made that instantly I can notice all the buttons and their active/inactive state etc, even if in a 27 inch monitor would look very small, the theme here on my 55" screen looks as it "should". IMHO.

The only bug (I think WT is working on it?) is the pan knobs. And perhaps some elements would need to be reworked by jrengmusic because the logo in the transport area now looks very very small.

I hope the pan knobs and stuff gets work out for the relea... ahem, can't say anything, lol. Oh well, Reaper's future looks so bright now.

Leaving you this Reaper project in case you wanted to test it in new R version, and I am not talking about v5.982 (see attachment)

YEs by Charlie Brown, on Flickr
Attached Files
File Type: rpp teSTIN THEME.rpp (22.2 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by sightlessness; 08-19-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Added screenshot
sightlessness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #219
sightlessness

Best theme ever.

IDK if it's the Reaper dev version or the latest,
but in Win 10 using 150% scaling, it works great
(no bugs or anything so far now).
Old 03-31-2020, 02:52 AM   #220
Pashkuli
Banned

Despite this theme looks unusable (too busy on the eyes), as a concept theme art it is amazing.
What happened to this project or was it compromised maybe even abandoned after Reaper v6 introduced new theme adjuster and the compatibility was broken?
Pashkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:30 PM   #221
jrengmusic

Usability is a matter of subjective preferences.

METRIC was developed for v5. But it still fully functional as it is in the v6. As a matter a fact it is still my default theme using the latest version of REAPER.

AFAIK theme adjuster script is theme dependent. Theme adjuster shipped with REAPER v6 is only fully compatible with the default v6.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #222
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Usability is a matter of subjective preferences.

METRIC was developed for v5. But it still fully functional as it is in the v6. As a matter a fact it is still my default theme using the latest version of REAPER.

AFAIK theme adjuster script is theme dependent. Theme adjuster shipped with REAPER v6 is only fully compatible with the default v6.

Yes, I thought so. Reaper themes have become harder and harder to manage. And of course it is personal preference. The amount of work on Metric is insane. Still I can't work in it. Somehow it is confusing me what to do where.

Actually, now when I tried it in a dark environment, it is pretty good!
Wish I could work in a dark room.

You definitely know what you are doing with UI and Walter. That is some crazy stuff.

I must admit, that METRIC's Master channel meter is superb!

OMG, you have spent 1340 hours on this theme?! 168 working days (almost half an year)

Do you think you could make a more minimalistic kind of theme?

Last edited by Pashkuli; 03-31-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:28 PM   #223
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by adXok View Post
The amount of work on Metric is insane. Still I can't work in it. Somehow it is confusing me what to do where.

Did you try using the solid style layouts instead of the wireframe layouts?
The solid ones should be less confusing and still look good in less dark environment.

::
Old 04-01-2020, 02:37 AM   #224
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
Did you try using the solid style layouts instead of the wireframe layouts?
The solid ones should be less confusing and still look good in less dark environment.

::
You mean the "Analogue" layouts with the Dominion style?! Holy sh¡t... This is insane.
Just switched to the "Analogue" layouts.
Unfortunately Dominion is not available for the Master Mix Panel.
Thanks, lucas_LCS.

It is actually having more like two-three themes in one.
Jrengmusic, man you are some clever and skilful dude!

One thing I noticed though is that despite I have disabled the "Show Playrate knob", it still is showing up.
I've noticed this problem with many other themes. As well as the option "Centre Transport controls".
Many UI elements have fixed sizes as well. In this case mostly suitable for 3k, 4k.
Or even worse, in some themes it leads to a mess.

Nevertheless, Metric is some next level UI in the confined space of Reaper's Walter. If only it could be vector based...

Last edited by Pashkuli; 04-01-2020 at 02:54 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:57 AM   #225
jrengmusic

Quote:
Yes, I thought so. Reaper themes have become harder and harder to manage. And of course it is personal preference. The amount of work on Metric is insane. Still I can't work in it. Somehow it is confusing me what to do where.

Do you think you could make a more minimalistic kind of theme?
METRIC was designed with specific workflow in mind. My personal workflow. I work mostly in the dark environment, hence the design.

It takes time to learn. But once you get yourself familiar with the flow, it is very logical, fast, and easy to use.

I haven't touched any theme API. But if i understand correctly with the theme adjuster API, developing theme could be simpler. We could just make one default layout with all element layout. Almost any alteration to create custom layout could be done via theme adjuster script.

METRIC was fine, thus i'm not planning to create new theme anytime soon. But when i do, it would be more simple yet sophisticated along with theme adjuster to customize it. No promises though.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:37 AM   #226
Pashkuli
Banned

Metric is plenty enough to explore at the moment.
Thank you for the work and effort you have put into this theme.

Actually I was wondering what is your opinion on vector theme creation (support) in Reaper in particular?

Do you see any positives, have you worked with vector illustrations, typeface creation?
I am aware that some fancy stuff such as transparency with gradients can be quite cumbersome to achieve with only vector elements, so...

What is your opinion on FL Studio theme for example? Or alike (BitWig, Ableton)... even Studio One seems to can be transformed into vector for its current UI design.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:20 AM   #227
jrengmusic

Quote:
Actually I was wondering what is your opinion on vector theme creation (support) in Reaper in particular?
IMO REAPER theme + WALTER with its raster image based system is fine. Though vector provides more flexibility in terms of scaling, raster image could have more fluid design (for 3D realistic rendering for example). Current REAPER v6 with its scaling options will do just fine for most of monitor and system.

AFAIK changing raster image to vector based theming in REAPER would be major overhaul to its UI, probably could change how we program with WALTER, and would break a lot of past themes which against REAPER philosophy in terms of backward compatibility.

Quote:
Do you see any positives, have you worked with vector illustrations, typeface creation?
I am aware that some fancy stuff such as transparency with gradients can be quite cumbersome to achieve with only vector elements, so...
The METRIC fonts for METRIC theme is self-made.

Quote:
What is your opinion on FL Studio theme for example? Or alike (BitWig, Ableton)... even Studio One seems to can be transformed into vector for its current UI design.
For users it doesn't really matter whether it was raster nor vector. As long as it deliver it purpose which is easy to use functionally (and hopefully aesthetically pleasing).
Old 04-01-2020, 10:50 AM   #228
Pashkuli
Banned

Quote:
Current REAPER v6 with its scaling options will do just fine for most of monitor and system.

...probably could change how we program with WALTER, and would break a lot of past themes which against REAPER philosophy in terms of backward compatibility.

The METRIC fonts for METRIC theme is self-made.
I see, my main question is whether it would be nice to have also a vector based GUI support in Reaper (not abandoning raster images at all)?
Are you familiar with this free tool for vector UI:
Vecteezy

I understand that making them glowing or overlap with transparency will be a bit tricky and time consuming to code, yet it is done nicely in FL Studio.

Seems quite easy really, but then grouping it, describing the groups into code or manipulating their basic arrangement or position with WALTER, should not be that difficult to implement, yet preserving their overall vector nature. I am speaking as a non-developer (I can't write code).

By the way is there any setting I should... ah nevermind, found it on your website!
Copy the *.ReaperThemeZip file
Rename the file extension from *.ReaperThemeZip to *.zip
Unzip the file.
Install the font to your OS.

Last edited by Pashkuli; 04-01-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:26 PM   #229
jrengmusic

From designer perspective, you can get the exact same result with raster image for vector design, but not the other way around—at least with the current vector image rendering.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:54 AM   #230
pinknemo13

I must admit guys, this theme is one of the best themes i've ever seen so clean and fast!
amazed by it.
pinknemo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:55 AM   #231
pinknemo13

Can I have the demo copy please!
Old 04-09-2020, 07:11 AM   #232
jrengmusic

The download link is in the 1st post, from my website.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #233
pinknemo13

Thanks for the thread issue is solved
Old 05-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #234
todoublez

oh my.. this is awesome..

I love the dominion layout.
is it possible to make it able to insert fx in the future ??

thx for sharing yo hardwork.
have a nice day sir.
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #235
d. gauss

Quote:
Originally Posted by todoublez View Post

I love the dominion layout.
is it possible to make it able to insert fx in the future ??
yes to this please. also a record enable button. how do you make the master section and everything else the same light/white/grey color as dominion?
d. gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:11 PM   #236
jrengmusic

Dominion was designed for a specific workflow, FX inserts and Arm Record are not part of its purpose.

To make everything colored lighter would be...complicated. There are so many elements need to be redesigned, remodeled and re-rendered.
Old 05-25-2020, 05:36 AM   #237
d. gauss

Quote:
Dominion was designed for a specific workflow, FX inserts and Arm Record are not part of its purpose.

To make everything colored lighter would be...complicated. There are so many elements need to be redesigned, remodeled and re-rendered.
well that is certainly disappointing as the Dominion layout colors would be my go to theme instead of default reaper version 1.0 theme. i was so excited until i found no fx or record enable buttons. back to crappy 1.0 theme i guess...
d. gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:45 AM   #238
todoublez

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
well that is certainly disappointing as the Dominion layout colors would be my go to theme instead of default reaper version 1.0 theme. i was so excited until i found no fx or record enable buttons. back to crappy 1.0 theme i guess...
Ahh... so sad to hear that.
Dominion layout looks really nice
It fits the “cloa” series of the acusticas plugins... lol
Make me feel Like the plugin were built-in not 3rd party
todoublez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #239
talustalus

Default Enlarged pan curve display on MCP

Strange over-enlarged pan curve display on the mixer control panel (for any layout that shows the pan).

Windows 10.

I tried setting scale 200% as instructed but, that was a big no.

Anyone else see it like this on Windows?

On my mac it looks fine.

Edit: can't upload screenshot because it exceeds limits.
(side note: how do you get around the annoying upload file size limit on this forum?)

Last edited by talustalus; 09-28-2020 at 09:44 PM. Reason: title
Old 05-06-2023, 07:05 AM   #240
luiza177

This is hands down the most beautiful theme I've seen. It's a huge shame it seems to have been discontinued. I'd love nothing more than to make this my main theme, but it seems there are quite a few bugs, eg. some images not loading correctly on Mac, other images resizing incorrectly, etc.

Here's to hoping it gets picked up again.
luiza177 is offline   Reply With Quote