Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 10-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #41
Lunar Ladder
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Everything is HUGE - this is on a 4K display with 100%/1:1 scaling. It's like everything is double the size it should be.
In that screenshot everything looks about the size it should be?

It's a theme intended for high pixel density screens. This is also why I asked if there's a chance it will be converted to suit something like a standard 1920x1200 display at some point (mentioned my 24" sized 1920x1200 Dell U2412M as a reference). Exactly the same issue, for the aforementioned reasons, by design.

You are running the theme on a 43" display at 3840 x 2160. Counting in my head here, but the pixel density is only slightly higher than on a 24" 1920x1200 display.
Lunar Ladder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #42
jrengmusic

Quote:
After looking thru that thread I don't know any more about 2X or HiDPI than I did before.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Windows display scaling setting: 200%
hDPI in Reaper: Aware
Scale UI elements: 2.0 NOT this. Untick it.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:19 AM   #43
BobF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Ladder View Post
In that screenshot everything looks about the size it should be?

It's a theme intended for high pixel density screens. This is also why I asked if there's a chance it will be converted to suit something like a standard 1920x1200 display at some point (mentioned my 24" sized 1920x1200 Dell U2412M as a reference). Exactly the same issue, for the aforementioned reasons, by design.

You are running the theme on a 43" display at 3840 x 2160. Counting in my head here, but the pixel density is only slightly higher than on a 24" 1920x1200 display.
I chose this size screen so that the pixel density would be the same as the 1920x1080 displays I had before. I didn't want smaller objects on screen, I wanted more total screen real estate
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #44
BobF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrengmusic View Post
This.
I'm not willing to set my Windows display scaling to anything other than 1:1. IMO, scaling a 4K beyond 1:1 defeats the purpose of having more pixels.

I didn't realize that this was a special case theme. Sorry for wasting your time with my feedback.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:23 AM   #45
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
I chose this size screen so that the pixel density would be the same as the 1920x1080 displays I had before. I didn't want smaller objects on screen, I wanted more total screen real estate
I understand that, and that is (by far) my preference as well . What I'm saying is, this theme is for displays that aren't the way you and me personally prefer, but have a high pixel density instead. Nothing wrong with that, I'd just hope to see a theme this stylistically gorgeous on a standard density screen as well.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:25 AM   #46
jrengmusic

Quote:
Any chance of a version scaled down for 1920 wide regular resolutions when it's otherwise finished?
I can't promise

Rendering theme assets with 1 pixel pink/yellow border to smaller scale could be very tedious and time consuming...yeah like hundreds of them
Old 10-19-2017, 10:27 AM   #47
BobF

Quote:
This.
Quote:
I understand that, and that is (by far) my preference as well . What I'm saying is, this theme is for displays that aren't the way you and me personally prefer, but have a high pixel density instead. Nothing wrong with that, I'd just hope to see a theme this stylistically gorgeous on a standard density screen as well.
A theme that's NOT designed with US in mind?!!!

Yeah, I understand now. It's a shame because this is a truly unique, very slick looking UI. Maybe we'll get 1X version some day
Old 10-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #48
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
Rendering theme assets with 1 pixel pink/yellow border to smaller scale could be very tedious and time consuming...yeah like hundreds of them
Yeah, because of the work involved in the downscaling I figured this might be unlikely . I'll keep an eye on the theme and your future works in any case, this is one of those "classic in the making" themes for sure.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #49
lucas_LCS

Quote:
Utilising Sir White Tie's innovative imageshift macro from Imperial v5 snapshot build, mixer fader could have different state conditionally following the track's record arm state.
Does the Image Shift Macro work with with anything other than the Recarm state?
Can you use to make changes if the the track is selected?
can you use it to say, create a sidebar if the FX button is active?
Can you combine actions?
EX: have it create a sidebar if track is selected and has plugins

lucas_LCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:25 PM   #50
jrengmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas_LCS View Post
Does the Image Shift Macro work with with anything other than the Recarm state? .
Yes. It also works with WALTER variable such as trackcolorvalid, recarm, i guess it will also works folderstate, envcp_type, panmode or any layout condition which WALTER understand i.e if height is smaller or bigger than a define number, etc.

Quote:
Can you use to make changes if the the track is selected?
I don’t think so. I don’t know if there is any syntax in WALTER to have track selection as variable.
Quote:
No.
Quote:
Can you combine actions?
EX: have it create a sidebar if track is selected and has plugins
No.

This macro does not work that way. It works with any WALTER variable, no more than currently WALTER can access.

Last edited by jrengmusic; 10-19-2017 at 06:35 PM.
jrengmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #51
Lunar Ladder

Oh, one subjective comment/nitpick on the theme content: the artistic choice of using the color red for "left" instead of "right" when panning. The nice spherical pan graphics, I mean. Usually in audio contexts red is right, and white/black/blue is left. Like in standard RCA leads. Or any color coded L/R channel thingy. When glancing the mixer here, one needs to activate a sort of "oh yeah, red is left in this thing" adjustment in one's mind

Last edited by Lunar Ladder; 10-19-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:00 PM   #52
jrengmusic

Quote:
Oh, one subjective comment/nitpick on the theme content: the artistic choice of using the color red for "left" instead of "right" when panning.
nice catch

the variety of pan knob is one of the most difficult thing to adjust in this theme. i didn't really pay attention how was color convention in the analog world. i think i missed that from the first place. i just follow along what Default_5.0 and Imperial had, and start drawing and tweaking from there.

yeah..but you are right. i'll probably switch that on the next build.

thanks for your input
Old 10-20-2017, 03:04 AM   #53
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

Quote:
You can't do anything to make a sidebar; MCP panels have a width that is defined at the layout level and is then fixed. This is a limitation within Reaper itself.

Quote:
I don’t know if there is any syntax in WALTER to have track selection as variable.
You don't know correctly It can't be done.

Quote:
Usually in audio contexts red is right, and white/black/blue is left. Like in standard RCA leads. Or any color coded L/R channel thingy.
This is a topic we have discussed at length; I wish there was one convention I could blindly follow, but there are two conflicting approaches and it would be naive to suggest an obvious 'right' answer. Audio does indeed have a cabling convention, but I know of few examples where it has been carried onto hardware human interface, where they are usually both labelled the same colour and solely the text/location used to facilitate at-a-glance recognition. Software UI, on the other hand, does have a convention, and it is to follow the naval/aerospace convention of left-red, green-right.

So; whether you use no colour (hardware), red-black (cables) or green-red (software) comes down to whether you expect REAPER to behave as a piece of software or as a representation of a piece of hardware.

On to this I layer my own user testing which (anecdotally) suggests that people broadly find a colour difference useful, and red-green most visible and expected. And in such a no-right-answer situation, that makes it the least objectionable compromise. I would welcome further discussion on this, though ideally not as a derail of this theme thread
Old 10-20-2017, 03:56 AM   #54
jrengmusic

Quote:
Software UI, on the other hand, does have a convention, and it is to follow the naval/aerospace convention of left-red, green-right.
This is interesting.

Would you mind direct me to references that i could read regarding this topic furthermore?

Thanks
Old 10-20-2017, 05:42 AM   #55
ivansc

On behalf of all of us old farts, YES this is a great theme but my tired old eyes really could stand a little more contrast. A possible later option versionfor us oldies?
Old 10-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #56
Lunar Ladder

Quote:
So; whether you use no colour (hardware), red-black (cables) or green-red (software) comes down to whether you expect REAPER to behave as a piece of software or as a representation of a piece of hardware.
Ah, thanks for bringing this to attention. The red-green nautical/aeronautics scheme was all new to me. The whole thing, software included, isn't as simple as you put it there though. When the scheme you describe as "cables" is in use, it's red for right and black or white or blue for left. Most commonly. (The red/white combo is very common also in cables indeed.) The common thing for these is, it's always red for right.

Funny how much subjective experiences make a difference in the feeling how common something is, as I've seen examples of this scheme in many places: Wavelab and other Steinberg stuff (red for right, blue for left), Pyramix (red for right, white for left), Sony recorders and if I recall correctly some Zooms (red for right, white for left, in the faceplate, not for cable connectors), some mixers, and so on.

But it's just my subjective experience indeed. The "red for left" red/green standard stemming from the nautical world is in use in a load of software, no doubt. I can't help myself, for me personally, in the audio realm the scheme of red being right feels much more familiar, through exposure through the years

Last edited by Lunar Ladder; 10-20-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #57
hopi

IMHO... this is one BEAUTIFUL theme... Man, I don't even care if it's practical or not! I simply enjoy greatly looking at it...

thanks for creating this and I hope is grows

one little issue for me... I have dual monitors, 30" 2560 by 1600... the numbers in the ruler when showing measures-beats and the time below... the numbers for the time get
the bottom half cut off... is there a setting I can use to fix that?

Last edited by hopi; 10-20-2017 at 07:57 PM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:01 PM   #58
jrengmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
IMHO... this is one BEAUTIFUL theme... Man, I don't even care if it's practical or not! I simply enjoy greatly looking at it...

thanks for creating this and I hope is grows

one little issue for me... I have dual monitors, 30" 2560 by 1600... the numbers in the ruler when showing measures-beats and the time below... the numbers for the time get
the bottom half cut off... is there a setting I can use to fix that?
It is practical with the right screen resolution

You may want to download EXO 2 font by Natanael Gama.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:32 PM   #59
hopi

thanks EXO 2 font seems to be a whole family with many variations of weight... any suggestions about which one to use on the ruler?

also ...if it is installed in the windows fonts, will your theme just pick it up?

PS never mind... got EXO 2 and installed it and not metric ruler looks great... thanks for the tip
Old 10-25-2017, 02:24 PM   #60
sec_goat

Default Stupid Question?

Am I missing the download link? I would really like to check this theme out, Am I missing it or is it still so under development that we can't get our hands on it?
sec_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #61
BobF

click where the arrow points in the first post

Old 10-25-2017, 02:42 PM   #62
sec_goat

Quote:
click where the arrow points in the first post

Thanks, I feel totally stupid, I read over it like 5 times looking for a link to click and missed it every time!

Aaaand i just read the rest of the thread, looks like I can't use this theme either, way too huge on my regular monitor and i's baby brother!

Good job with this theme, looks nice, wish I could use it!

Last edited by sec_goat; 10-25-2017 at 03:40 PM.
sec_goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #63
BobF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec_goat View Post
Thanks, I feel totally stupid, I read over it like 5 times looking for a link to click and missed it every time!
I'm not going to publicly admit how long it took me to see that :0
Old 10-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #64
SEA

WOW! Very Cool Indeed!

http://www.facebook.com/jamieseamusic
SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:32 PM   #65
sightlessness

Man I love this. Getting win 10 so I can have a chance on how it really looks :P
Old 11-03-2017, 11:09 AM   #66
jrengmusic

• More layout
  • More consistent shape, size, layout and behaviour for elements.
  • Optimise WALTER with more v5 syntax, defs, and macros.

Last edited by jrengmusic; 11-03-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:39 AM   #67
Doc Brown

So what size monitors are ideal for this theme? My 27" monitors are apparently too small so what's the ideal size and resolution?

Looks fantastic by the way.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #68
jrengmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
So what size monitors are ideal for this theme? My 27" monitors are apparently too small so what's the ideal size and resolution?

Looks fantastic by the way.
I designed this on my 15" Retina MacBook Pro. Tested on my 27" 5K Retina iMac also look fine. So the monitor size should not be a problem.

Quote:
Windows display scaling setting: 200%
hDPI in Reaper: Aware
Scale UI elements: 2.0 NOT this. Untick it.
Quote:
Build specifically @2x scale with WALTER currently experimental functionality for HiDPI and Retina monitors.
High resolution monitor with HiDPI (with 200%) scaling on Win or Retina monitor on OSX is mandatory.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:35 AM   #69
jrengmusic

tcp analog love
Old 11-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #70
Luster

Impressive design ideas in this theme. Although I can't use it in the near future due to the lack of a high dpi screen IMHO it's good that this ground gets covered with some choice. Thanks for all your efforts!
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:33 AM   #71
jrengmusic

TCP layout Metric vs Analog

Last edited by jrengmusic; 11-12-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #72
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
Ah, thanks for bringing this to attention. The red-green nautical/aeronautics scheme was all new to me. The whole thing, software included, isn't as simple as you put it there though. When the scheme you describe as "cables" is in use, it's red for right and black or white or blue for left. Most commonly. (The red/white combo is very common also in cables indeed.) The common thing for these is, it's always red for right.

Funny how much subjective experiences make a difference in the feeling how common something is, as I've seen examples of this scheme in many places: Wavelab and other Steinberg stuff (red for right, blue for left), Pyramix (red for right, white for left), Sony recorders and if I recall correctly some Zooms (red for right, white for left, in the faceplate, not for cable connectors), some mixers, and so on.

But it's just my subjective experience indeed. The "red for left" red/green standard stemming from the nautical world is in use in a load of software, no doubt. I can't help myself, for me personally, in the audio realm the scheme of red being right feels much more familiar, through exposure through the years
Yes, it's very strange to have red for left! I am not piloting a watercraft, and port and starboard are immaterial!
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:46 AM   #73
JayJSE2

Quote:

tcp analog love
Nice! For some reason having real buttons and faders make it look more intuitive to use, even though the 2d version looks cooler.
JayJSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #74
jrengmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJSE2 View Post
Nice! For some reason having real buttons and faders make it look more intuitive to use, even though the 2d version looks cooler.
and you have both options
Old 11-12-2017, 09:14 AM   #75
jrengmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
Yes, it's very strange to have red for left! I am not piloting a watercraft, and port and starboard are immaterial!
But...but...i want to take my music to the galaxy far, far away.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:19 PM   #76
ivansc

Been lounging in my easy chair muinching on my virtual popcorn on this threa, but heres one forf all you nautical types.

The electronics convention has typically been either red for hot and black or white for neutral.

If in doubt, look on the back of any old hi fi amp or indeed tape decks record decks etc etc.
And then keep saying to yourselves "I am doing music, not steering a boat!"

Old 11-13-2017, 04:32 AM   #77
milo2112

I am unable to install the theme as one of the sub folders in the *zip is named "aux". Windows 10 (and possibly other versions) tends not to like that name - it is reserved for system folders/devices, and hence does not copy it over. Can you rename it slightly?

\m/(><)\m/
milo2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:34 AM   #78
jrengmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo2112 View Post
I am unable to install the theme as one of the sub folders in the *zip is named "aux". Windows 10 (and possibly other versions) tends not to like that name - it is reserved for system folders/devices, and hence does not copy it over. Can you rename it slightly?
You don't have to unzip it. Just drag the *.ReaperThemeZip into REAPER.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #79
jrengmusic

half way rendering analog mcp
Old 11-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #80
Blankfiles

Nice !! I love this way beautiful