Old 10-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #1
babag
Human being with feelings

Default crossfade question

i'm finding that crossfades are not respecting the toolbar toggle when splitting and am wondering if i've missed a setting or something. when i split an item at the time selection, i get no crossfades at the split, whether the toolbar is set to auto-crossfade or not. i can get it to make the crossfades on splitting only by setting the perference in preferences--->projects--->media item defaults. no matter how that's set, though, it still doesn't seem to respect the toolbar setting. any tips on this are appreciated.

thx,
babag
reaper64 v5.984 on linux
babag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
nofish

Yes, that's how it is currently, crossfade when (e.g.) splitting at time selection via action is exclusively controlled by 'Overlap and crossfade items when splitting..' pref.
Not sure if it can considered a bug or not, I've simply made a toolbar button toggling this pref (assigned to action: 'Options: Toggle auto-crossfade on split', it lights up when enabled) and be done with it.

Last edited by nofish; 10-20-2019 at 07:55 AM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
babag

thanks, nofish. this is helpful, even if it points up some very confusing and, possibly, contradictory behavior. ;-) makes me wonder what the standard toolbar button for crossfades even does.

for my workflow, the separate enable/disable actions are probably what i'd want to use. found those through your tip. now i have to seriously ponder the dozens of custom actions i have that make use of the 'toggle crossfades on/off' action will have to all be amended to use the 'on split' actions you've pointed out. sigh.

edit:
think i'm starting to get it. editing behavior like dragging an item to overlap another is being kept separate from splitting so there are two separate enable/disable options, one for dragging and one for splitting. not sure i like that but, i guess, that's how it is.

thanks again,
babag

Last edited by babag; 10-20-2019 at 12:49 PM.
babag is offline   Reply With Quote